AT&T moves some handset upgrade dates to June ahead of iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Ahead of Apple's anticipated next-generation iPhone announcement, AT&T has begun modifying some customers' upgrade dates, shortening them in some cases by months to allow customers to buy a new, subsidized handset in June.

This week, a reader contacted MobileCrunch to say that his upgrade date was moved from Nov. 21, 2010, to June 21, 2010. The customer said they bought an iPhone 3GS in 2009 on the device's launch day.

"As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee," the customer's account profile reads. "Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 6/21/2010."

The same changes have appeared for other customers, but not all. AT&T has revealed in the past that generally speaking, the more a customer spends with AT&T, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99-a-month per line are generally eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

The revised dates will likely pave the way for AT&T to offer some customers reduced prices on Apple's latest iPhone, expected to be announced in June. It's the same approach AT&T has taken in the past. Last year, the wireless carrier offered early iPhone 3G adopters the opportunity to purchase an iPhone 3GS as the same $199 and $299 price points as new customers.

In years past, Apple has introduced its annual iPhone upgrade at the Worldwide Developers Conference. This year, WWDC 2010 will be held June 7 through June 11 at San Francisco's Moscone West. Tickets for the event sold out just eight days after Apple announced the dates.

In April, one rumor suggested Apple could sell the next-generation iPhone as soon as it is announced on June 7. That approach would be a change from years prior, when a new handset was announced a few weeks before its sale date. AT&T has also blacked out the month of June for its employees, preventing them from taking vacation days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    How about the possibility that they're trying to get people to upgrade to something OTHER than the iPhone 4G before the 4G comes out?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    So who here is gonna part with their 3gs to the 4g based on what we know? (A4 chip, design, new OS4 etc)
  • Reply 3 of 41
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 11/20/2010. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer.

Boo! I got my 3GS on launch day.

Then again, I pay exactly $99 after tax for my 3GS and my wife's dumbphone with 700 shared minutes after State Employees discount.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So who here is gonna part with their 3gs to the 4g based on what we know? (A4 chip, design, new OS4 etc)

I am. I'm also assuming we get more RAM. The higher performance (RAM, processor) will be necessary when multitasking. Also the front camera should be very nice for video chat. For $200, why wouldn't you?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    They always do this but this time, I wonder if they are trying to head off a Verizon iPhone attack by locking in customers early.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Boo! I got my 3GS on launch day.

Then again, I pay exactly $99 after tax for my 3GS and my wife's dumbphone with 700 shared minutes after State Employees discount.

Ah, so *I* paid part of the rest. Sweet!
  • Reply 7 of 41
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I am. I'm also assuming we get more RAM. The higher performance (RAM, processor) will be necessary when multitasking. Also the front camera should be very nice for video chat. For $200, why wouldn't you?

The A4 has 256 MB RAM built-in, the same as on the 3GS. So I wouldn't expect more RAM in this phone. That said, the A4 works so nicely on my iPad that it's got me seriously considering it. If there's a 64 GB option, I'm totally in. That would fit my entire iTunes library.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ahead of Apple's anticipated next-generation iPhone announcement, AT&T has begun modifying some customers' upgrade dates, shortening them in some cases by months to allow customers to buy a new, subsidized handset in June.

Very smart move. No wonder they are the number one US cell company.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I upgraded from the original to 3Gs after 2 year contract skipping the 3G model. I bought it at the Apple store. If AT&T allows me to upgrade to HD without penalty, I might do it but I wonder, can you get the same deal if you buy at the Apple store instead of the AT&T store? Their two purchase and activation systems seemed to be pretty well integrated at the Apple store last time.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    cxc273cxc273 Posts: 46member
    I also have to wonder if AT&T's moving up of the eligibility date for some users is to prevent them from bolting if and when iPhone exclusivity ends, say this fall.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post

I also have to wonder if AT&T's moving up of the eligibility date for some users is to prevent them from bolting if and when iPhone exclusivity ends, say this fall.

Says Verizon

Seriously, at some point ATT will do exactly that, as it should do. But we won't know until it's too late
  • Reply 12 of 41
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

I'll upgrade once I'm eligible in November, then my wife will get my 3GS. I'm not gonna pay an extra $100 when my 3GS works perfectly fine.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I've got a family plan with 3 3GS phones. My phone can get an early upgrade but the other 2 lines do not. So my new 4GS will cost $200 (same as a new customer) but the other 2 lines will be $400 each to upgrade. No deal.

So what I'm doing is the same as I did last year. I'm giving away my 3 phones to a friend who is taking over my account, then buy 3 new 4GS phones for $200 each. Cheapest solution, only I can't transfer my phone numbers. All of us will be getting a new number. Still... it's worth it.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This time I am going to buy an unlocked iPhone from eBay (I don't mind paying more for the convenience). I figured I can sell my iPhone 3GS for $400 like I did with my 3G last year.

I have a year left on my contract and I am not interested in paying the early upgrade price nor extending my contract with AT&T. I want to be able to use my iPhone when I travel abroad. Right now I can perform untethered jailbreak and unlock since it is one of the early 3GS.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    So with fingernails like those, I'm assuming someone does their share of blow. Those things are gnarly. Gewwww!
  • Reply 16 of 41
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    What about that, Apple? Verizon is offering BOGO offers, which are terrible, we know. AT&T, on the other hand is moving upgrade dates....but that's okay. That shouldn't increase our software prevalence...oh no?!?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

They always do this but this time, I wonder if they are trying to head off a Verizon iPhone attack by locking in customers early.

Time will tell.

Exactly what my first thought was. It's unlikely that Verizon will be any cheaper month-to-month than AT&T though.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Time will tell.

I bought my iPhone 3G in January of 2009. My upgrade date was July 2010 until I downgraded one talk plan lower and bought 200 text messages per month. I save $15 per month, but AT&T moved my upgrade date to October 2010. I just checked again, and that is where it currently sits.

I've been with AT&T for six years, but I'm running away to Verizon if AT&T doesn't move my upgrade date back to June or July. If I have to wait until October, I might as well wait out my two year contract until January and switch providers.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i was going to spend the $400 to upgrade, but my account says the same exact thing [just checked it].

looks like it will only cost me $200, just like last year.

my family plan comes to $97 a month with one iPhone and one dumbphone, so i don't know how much you actually have to spend to get the early upgrade.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Very smart move. No wonder they are the number one US cell company.

In what way? Reliability? Customer install base? Customer service? They aren't number 1 on customers, Verizon has more. Reliability? Nope. Customer service? Nope. What are they #1 in again?

Doesn't change the fact that I am happy with them.