HTC countersues Apple, claims infringement of five patents

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member

Now I'm not a business type like you, but maybe you tell me why it differs from...

http://www.google.co.nz/search?clien...KY60swOUkOD3Dw

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:NOK

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=NOK

http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/s...ote?Symbol=NOK

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=NOK

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stock...=66&symbol=NOK

Or does it have to do with this definition of market value at Nasdaq.com?

Quote:

Market Value

For NASDAQ-listed securities, the price per share of the specified security multiplied by the number of shares outstanding for the specified security. The shares outstanding number which is provided by Nasdaq’s Exchange Analysis and Compliance Tracking (ExACT) system, used in this market value calculation is the number used by NASDAQ for index calculation and may not include all shares globally issued and outstanding.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/reference/glos...#ixzz0nnThHW84

http://www.nasdaq.com/reference/glos...tm#MarketValue
  • Reply 82 of 104
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
  • Reply 83 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

why the answer is easy, don't you know. You are an "android shill"

No, don't you know, I'm a Nokia fanboi
  • Reply 84 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nope, I pass on companies that don't want my business or the business of 100,000,000 iPhone OS users.

I do however check my local health department App which tells me which restaurants have been fined for breaching standards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Wow you must really hate Flash to pass on good restaurants just because they have a Flash website. Or do you just go use your laptop/desktop like everybody else, when you can't read the menu on your phone?

For me personally, I care about the food, not what web standard they are using for their website. That's how I decide on which restaurant to eat at. Well, to each his own I suppose. Some look at the menu. Some look at which graphics platforms are being used.

• Reply 85 of 104
    No Fanning is a Nokia shill which is why he/she ( Jodie?) is on my ignore list.

Quote:

why the answer is easy, don't you know. You are an "android shill"

• Reply 86 of 104
    So why is it that today, when I put my SIM in a HTC Magic "Google" experience phone made for Vodafone Australia there were no updates, I even checked manually and there were no updates, it stays on 1.6.

I then went to Adobe's site and tried to download Flash player only to be greeted with the rather disappointing message that the platform wasn't supported.

As I was planning to check the offerings at a restaurant because I can't eat at a place without a flash based menu to look at, I had to go home and make beans on toast.

Life is so unfair.

Quote:

That's what you wrote in the NPD thread:

Except there's no 'tracking down' of updates in real life. You'd know that if you had actually touched an Android device once. You simply check for updates and install them if they are available. And when they do come out, Android notifies you. The only time you'd have go looking is if you somehow missed a notification (I dunno how that happens though).

You're right that fragmentation happens because carriers sometimes interfere with updates or the OEMs delay updates to work in their skins. I admitted that in the last thread. But again I take issue with 'hunting down' updates. You don't have to do that. You just wait and the update gets to you. Those folks who 'hunt' for updates are analogous to people who try and find beta builds of the latest iPhone OS. Would you consider them to be average iPhone users updating? Don't conflate some Android geeks experience with the average user.

Fair enough. But your original assertion was that there wasn't ANY devices mobile devices that could handle Flash. There are.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n900-2917.php

The N900 has Flash. Not Flash Lite. Last I checked that was a full version of Flash. At least Adobe (you know the people who make Flash) say so. Now if you want to discuss how well it runs on there for things like video, I'll probably agree with you. But such pompous blanket statements (like saying, "As it is, there is not currently ANY mobile device that run a full version of Flash. None.") won't help your credibility.

So we show you a phone that runs Flash and that makes us Android shills? If I tell you that that such and such phone has a built-in tip calculator, does that make me a tip calculator shill?

None of us brought up the issue of why Flash can or cannot run on the iPhone. So calm your Apple Defence Force instincts. I couldn't care less. That's Apple's call. It's their device. They can put whatever they want on there. I only care about the impact on me as a user. If it works for me, I stay. If it doesn't work for me, I can always vote with my wallet and buy a non-Apple phone. I actually find all whining about Apple and Flash useless and retarded. If you want Flash, ditch your iPhone and get something that does Flash.

• Reply 87 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No Fanning is a Nokia shill which is why he/she ( Jodie?) is on my ignore list.

No point writing this, as you are a big man and have an "ignore list", go you, but it is important that other people realise that you are once again wrong.

Man, can you please resign from k-mart and go get yourself an education, starting with reading.

My username is jfanning, and I have stated my location is New Zealand. The other user you refer to has the username jodyfanning (notice the y, no ie, a y), you notice that his location is Finland, now to help you, New Zealand is near Australia (you may have heard of Australia, it is the country you claim to live in), now Finland is nowhere near New Zealand, infact it is more or less the other side of the world. Now to finish, just because we have the same surname does not make us the same person, it may be tough for you to understand it, but it is the truth.

Also, although I said I was finished, yes I own a Nokia phone, but I also own more than two Apple devices (actually I own a hell of a lot more Apple devices than Nokia ones), and according to comments made here the other day, that makes me a kool-aid drinker, what is your point other than showing your general ignorance?
  • Reply 88 of 104
    Quote:

Nope, I pass on companies that don't want my business or the business of 100,000,000 iPhone OS users.

I do however check my local health department App which tells me which restaurants have been fined for breaching standards.

Let's see, you live in Australia, with a population of just over 20million people, do you really think the local Aussie businesses are upset about a few of those 100 million devices that are actually being used in Australia?
  • Reply 89 of 104
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Let's see, you live in Australia, with a population of just over 20million people, do you really think the local Aussie businesses are upset about a few of those 100 million devices that are actually being used in Australia?

Not all of them - just the smart ones.
  • Reply 90 of 104
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

So why is it that today, when I put my SIM in a HTC Magic "Google" experience phone made for Vodafone Australia there were no updates, I even checked manually and there were no updates, it stays on 1.6.

I then went to Adobe's site and tried to download Flash player only to be greeted with the rather disappointing message that the platform wasn't supported.

As I was planning to check the offerings at a restaurant because I can't eat at a place without a flash based menu to look at, I had to go home and make beans on toast.

Life is so unfair.

1) I never disputed the issue of carriers not passing on updates. What I disputed was the myth that there's some convoluted process to getting and installing updates. There isn't.

2) I never said that Flash was available on every mobile device. Several of us responded to jragosta's assertion that full Flash wasn't available on ANY mobile device. It is.

3) I am looking forward to getting Flash on my phone not because I like Flash or frequent websites with Flash. I'd like it simply so I don't have to run to my Mac to check to a site I came across on my phone that has Flash. Hence the restaurant analogy (the sector in which I most encounter Flash).

4) I have an iPhone 2G in my drawer. Do you think I can get iPhone OS 4 for it? And what happens when new apps are baselined to iPhone OS 4 (as in built on the most recent SDK)? Do you think I'll be able to download and run them perfectly on my iPhone 2G?
  • Reply 91 of 104
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    wow. Well after a bit of reading you just have to chuckle a bit here. See there seems to be two types of people here, one, absolute unquestioning undying love for apple, and will spew inaccurate googled facts like nothing, calling anyone who dares disagree a[insert company name here] shill, (seems a common insult sort around here), call them a liar, or threaten the ignore list.

the ignore list???? Not the ignore list!!!! awwww boo hoo.It's kinda like you know when kids hold their ears and go "la la la la la la la I can't HEEEAAARRRR youuuuuuuu."

No difference.

Anyway, the other I see, are people, like myself, who don't at all dislike apple, actually support apple and own lots of apple devices, will likely buy more apple devices. But have a balanced opinion, can discern generally between FUD and facts, and are actually interested in facts.

You'll notice none of us shrieking that flash will take over, nor that android will be the top king, etc etc. I've said numerous times, that while I actually -like- flash (GAAAAASSSSSPPPP!!!!!), I don't have a crystal ball, I can only surmise what might happen in the short term. And like any balanced person would know, I think adobe -has- been very lazy, and has a lot of work ahead of itself in this regard, and certainly, the jury's out on what will transpire.

But that ain't good enough for these shrieking nuts that think that by declaring us all "shills", it means something. It's kinda too bad because, you know wouldn't be something if an actual discussion broke out? I guess it makes you smart to regurgitate a few blogs like it's FACT.

Anyway, I'm currently deciding on a new ipad, the Canadian carriers seemed to have hiccuped with their plans on the day of per orders, so I suppose for today, I'm an "apple shill", oops actually I have some flash work today so I'll be an adobe shill, wait that's not right since I've convinced a client not to use flash on a major project, so there I am I'm someone else's shill.

I can't win.

oh btw, this is proof positive that android kicks iphones arse.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

I wonder what you do when you get to the hospital and find out your records are kept on a Windows machine.

Anyway, I am sure most restaurant owners in the world are losing sleep over catering to the 1 in 70 people globally that own an iDevice. Your social life must be awesome.
  • Reply 93 of 104
    Quote:

I never disputed the issue of carriers not passing on updates. What I disputed was the myth that there's some convoluted process to getting and installing updates. There isn't.

Maybe you can explain just how easy it is to upgrade your phone if there's no upgrade available for it.

Then, you can explain why you missed the obvious point that lack of upgrade availability is one of the things I was talking about as a problem for Android.
  • Reply 94 of 104
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Maybe you can explain just how easy it is to upgrade your phone if there's no upgrade available for it.

Then, you can explain why you missed the obvious point that lack of upgrade availability is one of the things I was talking about as a problem for Android.

*facepalm, major facepalm* Wow, what a play on words...

You have heard of this thing called the past haven't you? As in things that occured before our current time.

Yes, currently there are no updates for Android devices with 2.1-update1 because that is the most up-to-date version that has been released. That does not mean that updates were not done in the past using the OTA update process Jetz and I described.

Just like there are no current updates released for the iPhone/iPod/iPad because OS 4.0 hasn't been released yet. However, there have been past updates.

We have tried to explain the upgrade process in as simple of terms as we could to you, yet you plug your ears, close your eyes, and go "lalalalalala". Just because you refuse to look up the process for yourself, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm sorry, but on this issue, I really think even the Apple fans on this site are distancing themselves from you.

You're really grabbing at straws now.

EDIT: This is Verizon's support page to update the Droid Eris (currently getting its 2.1 OTA update):

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/dr...s_upgrade.html

Notice how the first thing it says is "You will be notified that a system update is available on your device..." Nowhere does it say you are required to run around the internet looking for a file link, as you imply. There are also screenshots of what your device screen will display during this upgrade process.

Here's the one for the Motorola Droid:

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/droid_upgrade.html

Again, it states "You will be notified that a system update is available on your device..." with a screenshot of what the notification will look like. Again, nowhere does it say you need to hunt through the internet to find a download link. All their instructions are on-device.

There you have it. The exact same process on two different Android devices made by two different companies (HTC and Motorola).

If you still don't get it after this, then there's no help for you.
  • Reply 95 of 104
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

HTC has problems, but one does not lose one's patent simply because a newer technology comes along.

Tsk, tsk. You're suggesting something I never wrote. You should consider this instead: HTC's patents lack relevance when circumvented or in the case of prior art. (Patent claims can also be voided, but that doesn't often happen.)

I really wouldn't worry about these complaints and suits. All of the companies involved are well versed in intellectual property law and can take care of themselves.
  • Reply 96 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

*facepalm, major facepalm*

Yes, currently there are no updates for Android devices with 2.1-update1 because that is the most up-to-date version that has been released. That does not mean that updates were not done in the past using the OTA update process Jetz and I described.

Sounds like you've caused some brain damage with all those face plants. Just admit it: Historically, the easiest, timeliest way to upgrade or update an Android handset has been to buy a new one. In many cases buying a new one appears to be the only way.

Quote:

Just like there are no current updates released for the iPhone/iPod/iPad because OS 4.0 hasn't been released yet. However, there have been past updates.

And unlike Android, those iPhone/touch updates have been available to all previous customers. And all simultaneously.

Quote:

We have tried to explain the upgrade process in as simple of terms as we could to you, yet you plug your ears, close your eyes, and go "lalalalalala".

Ack! Puke! Sputter! We don't need to read ad nausem how easy it is to upgrade Android devices, since upgrades aren't available for the vast majority of Android devices and seem never to be available in a timely fashion unless one buys a new Dud.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Sounds like you've caused some brain damage with all those face plants. Just admit it: Historically, the easiest, timeliest way to upgrade or update an Android handset has been to buy a new one.

Considering that the Droid was released with 2.0 in November 2009, and with 2.1 announched in January, 2010 and the 2.1 update made available in March, it's not all that bad of a wait.

As for HTC and their phones, the wait is most likely been due to them developing and releasing the Incredible and EVO. Like I said elsewhere here, they had to update their Sense UI to work with 2.1 for these projects anyway, so it makes the most sense development-wise to get two major new phones on the market and then have the fallout be an updated 2.1 with Sense update for all the phones they have already released on the market.

But actually speaking, the easiest, timeliest way to upgrade or update an Android handset is via the developers. There's plenty of ROMs out there that allow users to get the latest OS version working on their device well ahead of the manufacturer's release schedule. These ROMs are stable and in many cases, much faster than their stock counterparts because the developers are able to strip out some of the items that the carriers force-install.

Quote:

And unlike Android, those iPhone/touch updates have been available to all previous customers. And all simultaneously.

I don't disagree. I would like to see a day when Android is updatable via a "central command", if you will. However, this is the price to be paid for allowing Android to be vastly customizable. So far, this whole issue hasn't been working to much against Android. Otherwise, it would have crashed and feel apart a while ago. Whatever your views, one thing is certain. Android continues to rise in adoption around the world. I would even dare say that there hasn't been a point where Android has stagnated in growth yet.

Quote:

Ack! Puke! Sputter! We don't need to read ad nausem how easy it is to upgrade Android devices, since upgrades aren't available for the vast majority of Android devices and seem never to be available in a timely fashion unless one buys a new Dud.

And we don't need to read ad nausem about how jragosta claims it isn't easy to upgrade just because there aren't any current updates for Android phones already on 2.1-update1. His logic is flawed pure and simple. But if it will make you happy, that will be my last post on the point. If he continues to believe what he says, then so be it. I have washed my hands of replying to his posts.

As I stated earlier, the Droid has been out on the market for 6 months. Roughly 3 months after launch, we got an update to 2.0.1. Then another 2 months or so later, we got the update for 2.1, bringing it completely up-to-speed. All this in a 1/4 of a year's contract.

The Droid Eris is being updated to 2.1 as I type this. And Sprint has put forth May 21st as the date the HTC Hero will be updated to 2.1. While we can't say for sure if it'll hold, I'd like to think so, for the reasons I stated above for HTC releasing 2 new Android devices.

And going forward in time, we see many high-end Android phones being released with 2.1-update1 onboard. 1.5 and 1.6 releases are few and far-between. FroYo will be made public at the end of next week, but will not be released for a bit after. This is similar to iPhone 4.0, where it was made public in April, but will not be available until the new iPhone is released in June. All current 2.1 devices will be able to upgrade to 2.2, starting with the Nexus One. If it takes 2 months after FroYo is public to do that, I personally have no issues with that.
  • Reply 98 of 104
    Quote:

But actually speaking, the easiest, timeliest way to upgrade or update an Android handset is via the developers. There's plenty of ROMs out there that allow users to get the latest OS version working on their device well ahead of the manufacturer's release schedule. These ROMs are stable and in many cases, much faster than their stock counterparts because the developers are able to strip out some of the items that the carriers force-install.

OMG! You're jragosta, aren't you!
  • Reply 99 of 104
    Quote:

And we don't need to read ad nausem about how jragosta claims it isn't easy to upgrade just because there aren't any current updates for Android phones already on 2.1-update1. His logic is flawed pure and simple. But if it will make you happy, that will be my last post on the point. If he continues to believe what he says, then so be it. I have washed my hands of replying to his posts.

As I stated earlier, the Droid has been out on the market for 6 months. Roughly 3 months after launch, we got an update to 2.0.1. Then another 2 months or so later, we got the update for 2.1, bringing it completely up-to-speed. All this in a 1/4 of a year's contract.

The Droid Eris is being updated to 2.1 as I type this. And Sprint has put forth May 21st as the date the HTC Hero will be updated to 2.1. While we can't say for sure if it'll hold, I'd like to think so, for the reasons I stated above for HTC releasing 2 new Android devices.

And going forward in time, we see many high-end Android phones being released with 2.1-update1 onboard. 1.5 and 1.6 releases are few and far-between. FroYo will be made public at the end of next week, but will not be released for a bit after. This is similar to iPhone 4.0, where it was made public in April, but will not be available until the new iPhone is released in June. All current 2.1 devices will be able to upgrade to 2.2, starting with the Nexus One. If it takes 2 months after FroYo is public to do that, I personally have no issues with that.

It's not my fault you're not paying attention.

Yes, there have been upgrades to Android - but they're not generally available to the public. Please close your mouth long enough to read the article posted a a week ago in this forum.

An insignificant number of Android users have implemented ANY upgrades - with the most common reason being that they're not available for their phone and/or carrier.

No one cares if Google has released 2.0.1 or 2.0.3 or 2.47.823. If they're not available to the users, it's worthless.

The example about 2.1-1 was because someone claimed that it worked flawlessly and automatically - but they had no way of knowing since they bought their phone with the latest version. Thus, it was clear that they were lying when they said it worked flawlessly since they had not had the ability to test it.

The proof is in the pudding - and so far, few Android customers upgrade because upgrades just aren't available for most people. No matter how much you whine and lie, you can't change that simple fact.
  • Reply 100 of 104
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    If your ONLY point was that people do not upgrade because upgrades are not available then why did you post this

"because of the difficulty of tracking down the upgrades (due to fragmentation)."

The words "tracking down" mean searching for, hunting, etc.

Logically, if the upgrade does not exist, then tracking down is futile.

You were clearly making 2 points regarding Android upgrades

1. The absence of upgrades

2. The difficulty in finding available upgrades.

You focus on 1, and seem to ignore/deny that you said number 2, which is what jfanning is discussing, and has shown is not a difficult process.