Apple announces new MobileMe Mail upgrade beta program

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Signed up... no invite yet. Wonder how they are choosing the testers?
  • Reply 22 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    it's about time they used SSL for more than the login.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Webmail is for the less fortunate.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is quite an exaggeration. When Mobile Me first launched two years ago, the system was overwhelmed some people had performance issues and lost emails. Most MM users were not effected.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmb View Post

their webmail app has been a piece of crap forever

lost emails, poor performance, etc

I stopped using it a long time ago - it was basically unusable

massive numbers of complaints in Apple's support forums on it

hopefully it works now, but I have little interest in going back to it...

• Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is quite an exaggeration. When Mobile Me first launched two years ago, the system was overwhelmed some people had performance issues and lost emails. Most MM users were not effected.

While all true, it does show why a controlled and well thought out release is not just a good idea, but possibly a great idea as first impressions can stick.

The service was working fine by Sunday afternoon for me, just a couple days after the launch. Apple really should have opened up the MM changes to old iTools and .Mac users first or an opt-in program like they are doing now for MM. They also shouldn't have released the iPhone 3G, v2.0 for all iPhones and the new MobileMe all at the same time.

However, I'd say the single, biggest issue with the MM launch was the ability to sign up and test it for 30-days without first having to submit a CC, like they do now. Too many people at once wanting to try the new features with iPhone OS v2.0. It looks like they learned their lesson, at least a little, that they can't act like a "boutique shop", but MM still has this silly stigmata that it doesn't work.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Solip and Teno.

Do you all find that MM is slow to load mail and browse mail folders?

It s funny, while I generally like MM, I am most annoyed by how slow MM's mail loads and how slow it is to browse folders.

Conversely I love iDisk. I'm might be the only one though. Most seem to hate it. I use Accountedge and love how iDisk is integrated into it. Its probably the only reason I keep MM. I actually like hotmail better for mail.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Solip and Teno.

Do you all find that MM is slow to load mail and browse mail folders?

It s funny, while I generally like MM, I am most annoyed by how slow MM's mail loads and how slow it is to browse folders.

Conversely I love iDisk. I'm might be the only one though. Most seem to hate it. I use Accountedge and love how iDisk is integrated into it. Its probably the only reason I keep MM. I actually like hotmail better for mail.

I find Gmail faster for all things webmail, but I don't find it unbearably slow.

I do have a problem with iDisk. Even when using Transmit, which still using WebDAV, it's just too slow. I have issues with it timing out that I've moved exclusively to DropBox.

I wish Apple would by or emulate DropBox. it's pretty awesome. For instance, if the file I'm uploading is already on the DropBox servers it will simply say add a resource fork to my folder saying it's there. This is invisible to anyone else who has uploaded that file. I can even change the name of the file at will. This really makes moving common items very simple and fast. DropBox integrates with your OS and there are is even and iPhone app for it.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    How long did everyone have to wait to receive their Beta Invite? I signed up about three hours ago and am still waiting.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I find Gmail faster for all things webmail, but I don't find it unbearably slow.

I do have a problem with iDisk. Even when using Transmit, which still using WebDAV, it's just too slow. I have issues with it timing out that I've moved exclusively to DropBox.

I wish Apple would by or emulate DropBox. it's pretty awesome. For instance, if the file I'm uploading is already on the DropBox servers it will simply say add a resource fork to my folder saying it's there. This is invisible to anyone else who has uploaded that file. I can even change the name of the file at will. This really makes moving common items very simple and fast. DropBox integrates with your OS and there are is even and iPhone app for it.

I am embarrassed to discuss web services in forums. Everything I like most people scorn. The stuff others rave about I'm just 'meh'.

I haven;t tried DB but everything I read is positive. I thought about giving it a try but like I said earlier I really like how AE is integrated with iDisk. It leaves a backuo copy in iDisk and as worked flawlessly for me. I like how I don't have to expend mental energy to accomplish this task. I also keep backups of a few important files on iDisk and I've never had a problem. I'm not a demanding user so I suspect thats why I'm satisfied.

Gmail for me is only ok. Again most people I know love it but its never really been that appealing to me.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    This is one of those few times, where I am going to go against apple's choices, because although this is a welcome change, it leaves by far a lot to be desired from mm. Idisk should eventually be used to sync folders across macs, and not be a mere repository for files, more security features need to be implemented too, and there's a whole list of wants, or rather have to happens, to elevate mm to a proper cloud service. For the money we pay for it, it just doesn't cut it, as simple as that. It only wins in integration, and loses in all other terms because better (but less integrated) approaches exist, most of them free, or far cheaper.

It's clear to anyone who likes apple products, that the mm team lack vision, or in any case are too slow to implement whatever vision they have.

It's still nice to see however one well implemented feature going to beta (and I think it has something to do with letting off the mm boss a few months ago...). But still, it's just not enough.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

This is one of those few times, where I am going to go against apple's choices, because although this is a welcome change, it leaves by far a lot to be desired from mm. Idisk should eventually be used to sync folders across macs, and not be a mere repository for files, more security features need to be implemented too, and there's a whole list of wants, or rather have to happens, to elevate mm to a proper cloud service. For the money we pay for it, it just doesn't cut it, as simple as that. It only wins in integration, and loses in all other terms because better (but less integrated) approaches exist, most of them free, or far cheaper.

It's clear to anyone who likes apple products, that the mm team lack vision, or in any case are too slow to implement whatever vision they have.

It's still nice to see however one well implemented feature going to beta (and I think it has something to do with letting off the mm boss a few months ago...). But still, it's just not enough.

I completely disagree with the general statement of syncing all your files across Macs. There is no reason for it and HDDs store way too much data to make this viable. MobileMe and the previous .Mac did a great job of syncing your user accounts across Macs. the things that make the computer look and function the same.

I have about 60GB of files on my Desktop, 120GB in my Photos, a few hundred in my Music folder and so one. These syncing across the the internet or even a local network just isn't realistic. If you have files you want synced then copy them to the iDisk folder and they will be synced.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    machaymachay Posts: 11member
    Good to see some work being done on MM. I wonder if this new update will also eventually add meeting invites etc. I recall that OS 4 is likely to offer that and will need the server side to fully function. Time will tell!
  • Reply 33 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    MobileMe is one if the most pathetic offerings by Apple. Lousy, clunky, slow, unintuitive.

Let's see if this does any better. I am planning to sign up, but don't hold out much hope.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:

I completely disagree with the general statement of syncing all your files across Macs. There is no reason for it and HDDs store way too much data to make this viable. MobileMe and the previous .Mac did a great job of syncing your user accounts across Macs. the things that make the computer look and function the same.

I have about 60GB of files on my Desktop, 120GB in my Photos, a few hundred in my Music folder and so one. These syncing across the the internet or even a local network just isn't realistic. If you have files you want synced then copy them to the iDisk folder and they will be synced.

I am not talking about syncing across the board, but a few mission critical folders have to be synced, and synced securely. Chronosync to mm and then to the respective mac doesn't cut it, neither does chronosync via wifi or saving to idisk solely.

Certain files and folders have to be synced, on the fly and securely, with folders on the mac (and not just dropping everything to idisk and re-arranging the whole structure of folders on you desktops to do so) and on the cloud. Its a sine qua non for me. I have two desktop, a lappie, an iphone, and I am going to have an ipad. Idisk should be the server for these, and the master sync-er, I should not be expected to hunt down files I want to have across the board in all my devices.

A folder I choose to have always synced, should be just that, there and available to all devices via idisk, and mirrored in the appropriate folder in every mac. I am working on my lappie, I won't to go to my macs at home, or in my cottage house and find the folders synced there too, without going into the hassle of choosing a separate disk (idisk) to store them.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

MobileMe is one if the most pathetic offerings by Apple. Lousy, clunky, slow, unintuitive.

Let's see if this does any better. I am planning to sign up, but don't hold out much hope.

For sure, it's the ugly duckling, the relative you want to hide, and it's sad because there's such great potential to it.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I am not talking about syncing across the board, but a few mission critical folders have to be synced, and synced securely. Chronosync to mm and then to the respective mac doesn't cut it, neither does chronosync via wifi or saving to idisk solely.

Certain files and folders have to be synced, on the fly and securely, with folders on the mac (and not just dropping everything to idisk and re-arranging the whole structure of folders on you desktops to do so) and on the cloud. Its a sine qua non for me. I have two desktop, a lappie, an iphone, and I am going to have an ipad. Idisk should be the server for these, and the master sync-er, I should not be expected to hunt down files I want to have across the board in all my devices.

The security I understand. I think this is the biggest issue for entirely of MobileMe, as my first post in this thread suggests.

I would like to have an option in the Get Info window on each file/folder and/or in the MM preference pane to choose folders/files to auto sync to iDisk without first having to put them in the iDisk folder.

There are a couple work arounds to achieve that same goal of" in-place syncing" of files, but it would be nice for it to be included by default.

For security, I suggest using DropBox with uses AES-256 for transmission. Of course, I can't attest to the security of their servers or their employees, but for local privacy it should work great.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:

The security I understand. I think this is the biggest issue for entirely of MobileMe, as my first post in this thread suggests.

I would like to have an option in the Get Info window on each file/folder and/or in the MM preference pane to choose folders/files to auto sync to iDisk without first having to put them in the iDisk folder.

There are a couple work arounds to achieve that achieve that same goal of in-place syncing, but it would be nice for it to be included by default.

For security, I suggest using DropBox with uses AES-256 for transmission. Of course, I can't attest to the security of their servers or their employees, but for local privacy it should work great.

Exactly Soli, covers what I am saying completely. I haven't gone the dropbox way because I am holding out for the sub par offering that is mm to lose the teething problems.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    I would love to purchase a family pack; however I believe Apple should give the purchasing account the option to administer the other five computers in his/her home, office or wherever they might be.

It would be so helpful when I am away on business and my son is having a problem if I can use back to my Mac to get into his computer to fix it, all five of the accounts are their own distinctive accounts.

There should be something in the "Family Pack" that gives the option to administer all of the accounts somehow.

That is my MM wish.....
  • Reply 39 of 78
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I got my invite to the beta and have been using it for a solid 2 hours. I typically didn't use webmail unless I was traveling outside of the country where my iPhone would get murdered on data.

I want to be the first to say...HOLY SMOKES! The new webmail is super fast. Never have I experienced webmail from Apple be this fast...not even close. It is actually faster than Gmail/Google Apps for me. I'm serious folks, this is a top class performer. The entire experience has been sped up. It is almost client-side speed. Bringing up the compose window doesn't take forever and a lifetime. Moving/deleting and overall mailbox management is a treat. Messages load in the preview pane almost instantly (mileage may vary based on internet speeds).

The UX has been improved. The new 3-column view is great. Infinite scrolling of mailboxes is great, as is real-time search. I'm so happy about server-side rules.

If the rest of the MobileMe services get this kinda love, we are all in for a treat.

The only thing I wish...MobileMe for domains. If we could use MobileMe instead of Google Apps, I would probably cry tears of happiness.

I know this all might seem kinda weird and all, but Apple has finally got webmail right and I can't wait to see the rest of the services get revamped.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foad View Post

I want to be the first to say...HOLY SMOKES! The new webmail is super fast.

I thought there servers were going to catch fire when I first used it HAHA

It's lightning quick and smooth just like on my iMac, fine work from Apple....

I hope there are a few more goodies up their sleeves for MM come June