Apple announces new MobileMe Mail upgrade beta program

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Am I the only one here who actually loves MobileMe? I've had the service since it was dotmac. I can't imagine living without it.

- keeps all my devices in sync - settings, keychains, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, photos

- upload pics and videos to iPhoto on the go (automatically updates iPhoto on my Mac)

- iDisk is great (your hard disk on the web)

- find my iPhone and iPad if stolen

- remote wipe

- access my desktop from remote locations (including Time Capsule)

- login from any computer including PC's and have access to all my content

- Photo gallery also uploads to AppleTv

- share photos with family through iPhoto (family can even upload photos to your album) which all automatically updates across all devices - great when on vacation or off at college

There are many more, these are off the top of my head.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Am I the only one here who actually loves MobileMe? I've had the service since it was dotmac. I can't imagine living without it.

[...]

I do. There are some things I'd change about it and having Time Machine negates some of the features that made setting up a new Mac a snap, but nothing comes close to matching it's services for the low price of $69/year.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;

I do. There are some things I'd change about it and having Time Machine negates some of the features that made setting up a new Mac a snap, but nothing comes close to matching it's services for the low price of $69/year.

It gets a bad wrap, but it's actually a pretty good service.

You've had trouble with Time Machine?
  • Reply 44 of 78
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

- keeps all my devices in sync - settings, keychains, contacts, calendar, bookmarks, photos

- upload pics and videos to iPhoto on the go (automatically updates iPhoto on my Mac)

- iDisk is great (your hard disk on the web)

- find my iPhone and iPad if stolen

- remote wipe

- access my desktop from remote locations (including Time Capsule)

- login from any computer including PC's and have access to all my content

- Photo gallery also uploads to AppleTv

- share photos with family through iPhoto (family can even upload photos to your album) which all automatically updates across all devices - great when on vacation or off at college

I've had it since way back at dot mac as well and never had a problem with it. I wanted an alternate personal email besides my dot com, and hotmail I hated, and isp mail sucked.

Even though I do web dev, for personal posting of pics for family and friends I couldn't possibly beat the speed of selecting the images clicking publish and selecting a template and emailing them.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:

It gets a bad wrap, but it's actually a pretty good service.

Proof that good first impressions are important.

Quote:

You had trouble with Time Machine?

Quite the opposite. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm saying that the existance of Time Machine has made most of the sync features in MobileMe obsolete as I now use Time Machine to restore my system to it's previous look and feel, not the contents saved via MobileMe/.Mac. There are, of course, some that still come in handy, like contacts, calendars, and Notes to my iPhone, but I could get rid of most of the other syncing options and be fine with just Time Machine.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube;

I've had it since way back at dot mac as well and never had a problem with it. I wanted an alternate personal email besides my dot com, and hotmail I hated, and isp mail sucked.

Even though I do web dev, for personal posting of pics for family and friends I couldn't possibly beat the speed of selecting the images clicking publish and selecting a template and emailing them.

Amen to that!
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

Perhaps ironically, I have been on the service since iTools and have used everything in it EXCEPT the email feature. Technically I have been using the email since iPhone OS v3.0 was introduced but that is only because the Push works so well. I have my Gmail forwarded to my MM account with the SMTP set to reply via Gmail.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Seriously? How long did it take to get your invites? I clicked on the "Join Beta" button in mail close to 8 hours ago.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I would love to purchase a family pack; however I believe Apple should give the purchasing account the option to administer the other five computers in his/her home, office or wherever they might be.

It would be so helpful when I am away on business and my son is having a problem if I can use back to my Mac to get into his computer to fix it, all five of the accounts are their own distinctive accounts.

There should be something in the "Family Pack" that gives the option to administer all of the accounts somehow.

That is my MM wish.....

Not a bad wish, but there are solutions for you that will allow you to administer your son's Mac.

The first one is how I administer and maintain some of my immediate family's Macs. When I setup the Macs I created an Admin account for myself that is password protected. I then setup MobileMe on my Admin account with no Sync settings, but with Back to My Mac enabled.This does not interfere with other user's MM accounts.

The other option is to use iChat screen sharing option, which should work, in theory, if Back to My Mac is also working.

I much prefer Back to My Mac so they don't have to be there when i run maintenance and updates on their systems, but not everyone wants you to have a backdoor into their system. It also allows me to access the file structure without having to use the extra bandwidth and time of screen sharing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Seriously? How long did it take to get your invites? I clicked on the "Join Beta" button in mail close to 8 hours ago.

I'm still without mine and none of my friends have received any invites either.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    I still want them to release this in a corporate package! Would be so nice now that we use iPhones, MacBooks and all. Don't want to move towards Google. Apple has a better track record towards usability and all stuff. Google is too much of a hack thing...
  • Reply 51 of 78
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

I clicked to sign up as soon as I read about it but still haven't gotten an invite.

Again I wonder: how are they choosing who gets to be a beta tester?
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:

As soon as I logged into to MM it asked me if I would like to join, in under ten minutes I received an invite.

It's odd they are being so choosey eh.....
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not a bad wish, but there are solutions for you that will allow you to administer your son's Mac.

Thanks very much for the tip, I am going to try that out as soon as the kids are out of the house this morning.

It would still be nice for Apple to give the whole idea a little magic & simplicity though
  • Reply 54 of 78
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    It's possible they they are choosing people who already use the current version regularly as opposed to those of us (like me) who usually just use Mail.

If I was a beta-tester, though, I'd use it... really... I promise...
  • Reply 55 of 78
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Still waiting for my invite. For me, the best thing they would do would be to throw in MobileMe with iLife and start selling it as a product, not a yearly subscription.

If everyone used it, that would be a huge audience and a massive incentive to tie in all the web products with the Mac and iDevices properly.

There was a rumour that it would go free, I think that's a bad move myself, but including it with a hardware purchase ensures that all Apple users can use it for free if they want to.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I would love to purchase a family pack; however I believe Apple should give the purchasing account the option to administer the other five computers in his/her home, office or wherever they might be.

It would be so helpful when I am away on business and my son is having a problem if I can use back to my Mac to get into his computer to fix it, all five of the accounts are their own distinctive accounts.

There should be something in the "Family Pack" that gives the option to administer all of the accounts somehow.

That is my MM wish.....

I dont have MM but I would have though that is exactly the point of using Back to My Mac. I mean it's basically a screen sharing file and admin tool as I understand it, and it should work across a family MM account as that is how families work! It maybe should have some extensibility outside of the family account as well, but that is probably less critical for basic needs.

Would another non Apple solution like TeamViewer provided the same functionality? I think it's meant for the same thing but if you want static accessibility to family computers (ie without them needing to OK it and provide a session codes etc) it's probably not possible with the free version of TV.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Still waiting for my invite. For me, the best thing they would do would be to throw in MobileMe with iLife and start selling it as a product, not a yearly subscription.

If everyone used it, that would be a huge audience and a massive incentive to tie in all the web products with the Mac and iDevices properly.

There was a rumour that it would go free, I think that's a bad move myself, but including it with a hardware purchase ensures that all Apple users can use it for free if they want to.

Bundling it with iLife sounds like a good idea in terms of growing uptake and the audience for it. As long as it doesn't languish ignored in the iLife bundle like iWeb for many, people would look at it and see how they can put it to use.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    There's two things they took away with the MobileMe upgrade that I'd really like back -- the ability to use a standard url like a real web host (fortunately this is still grandfathered in for old .mac users, so long as you use the homepage.mac.com/user url) but why they removed it from me.com is beyond me. Now you have to use their interface to generate a special gobbldygook url that has nothing to do with the directory structure, pick who can see it, then email it to people. Pretty useless for slapping up an image on a forum or website. Was this supposedly a security enhancement? Were they dumbing it down for iLife noobs? Or were they trying to save bandwidth? Who knows.

That and web bookmarks. I can sync my bookmarks between computers, so they're stored in my MobileMe space obviously, but I can no longer sit down at someone else's computer, log in to my .mac/MobileMe page & have access to my bookmarks. Why?

I'm still trying to see how MobileMe was any kind of an "upgrade" from .mac.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I dont have MM but I would have though that is exactly the point of using Back to My Mac. I mean it's basically a screen sharing file and admin tool as I understand it, and it should work across a family MM account as that is how families work! It maybe should have some extensibility outside of the family account as well, but that is probably less critical for basic needs.

Would another non Apple solution like TeamViewer provided the same functionality? I think it's meant for the same thing but if you want static accessibility to family computers (ie without them needing to OK it and provide a session codes etc) it's probably not possible with the free version of TV.

I think you got the idea of MM wrong. It has nothing to do with something like TV, you can find those functionalities in iChat. MM is a cloud based service which is well integrated with mac os x and lets you sync a lot a stuff across all your apple devices, like calendar, contacts, mail, photos and files.

What the other guy meant, as far as I understood, is that he would like to manage the accounts of all family members if he has the admin account. Right now you can only add new accounts, and everybody has to do the settings themselves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Bundling it with iLife sounds like a good idea in terms of growing uptake and the audience for it. As long as it doesn't languish ignored in the iLife bundle like iWeb for many, people would look at it and see how they can put it to use.

I don't know if you should bundle it, iLife is software, whereas MM is a service. Most services can't be covered with one off fees, unless you take them for a limited time. I believe there are legal issues as well. So I think they should it keep it a subscription, and maybe offer a free year or so with new macs / or iLife or something like that.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

I think you got the idea of MM wrong. It has nothing to do with something like TV, you can find those functionalities in iChat. MM is a cloud based service which is well integrated with mac os x and lets you sync a lot a stuff across all your apple devices, like calendar, contacts, mail, photos and files.

What the other guy meant, as far as I understood, is that he would like to manage the accounts of all family members if he has the admin account. Right now you can only add new accounts, and everybody has to do the settings themselves.

I don't know if you should bundle it, iLife is software, whereas MM is a service. Most services can't be covered with one off fees, unless you take them for a limited time. I believe there are legal issues as well. So I think they should it keep it a subscription, and maybe offer a free year or so with new macs / or iLife or something like that.

This explains I think why I should just jump and give MM a try and see how it actually works!