Apple seeds third build of Mac OS X 10.6.4 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week issued another build of its forthcoming Mac OS X 10.6.4 update for the Snow Leopard operating system, including largely the same list of fixes found in the last update.

People familiar with the matter said build 10F50 of Mac OS X 10.6.4, seeded to Apple's developer community, is a 581.3MB file. The delta build has many of the same fixes found in the previous build issued to developers last week.

The only change specifically cited by Apple is an improvement in VoiceOver compatibility with the iMovie and GarageBand applications. The previous build had focused generally on VoiceOver, but did not specifically mention the iLife software.

The latest build also reportedly has just one known issue related to incorrectly formatted marketing text.

Focus areas for the latest build include Graphics Drivers, SMB, USB, Voice Over and VPN, according to developers testing Mac OS X 10.6.4. The build, like the last one, resolves an issue that could cause inputs such as the keyboard or trackpad to become responsive, and also addresses a problem that prevented some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from loading.

The latest build also reportedly improves the reliability of VPN connections, addresses a problem that arose while editing photos in a full-screen view with iPhoto or Aperture, and fixes a playback problem that arose when using "Good Quality" deinterlacing while watching a DVD.

The first beta of Mac OS X 10.6.4 arrived in late April, with which Apple asked developers to test four key areas of the system: graphics drivers, Windows file sharing, USB devices and Voice Over.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I'd rather be first than have 10.6.4!

booya!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    PLEASE fix it so I can empty the trash without closing mail first.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

PLEASE fix it so I can empty the trash without closing mail first.

WTH??? that does not happen...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Heaven forbid that keyboard and trackpad inputs become responsive! Maybe that was "unresponsive?"
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

WTH??? that does not happen...

It does. If you send an email with an attachment, then proceed to delete the attachment in the trash, one has to close Mail first. It is annoying.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Release to coincide with new iPhone OS maybe?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It seems that it's always addressed in an update, but SMB performance on a Windows network sucks.

It takes 20 seconds or more for me to see the contents of a Windows network folder. In Windows, it's nearly instantaneous.

Of course, it could be a multitude of problems with my particular installation (isn't it always?), but browsing network volumes seems like a low level OS activity that shouldn't be affected by, say, a Star Wars screensaver I have installed.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It seems that it's always addressed in an update, but SMB performance on a Windows network sucks.

It takes 20 seconds or more for me to see the contents of a Windows network folder. In Windows, it's nearly instantaneous.

Of course, it could be a multitude of problems with my particular installation (isn't it always?), but browsing network volumes seems like a low level OS activity that shouldn't be affected by, say, a Star Wars screensaver I have installed.

A friend of mine has that problem and it happened right after he installed Parallels.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CitizenHobbes View Post

It does. If you send an email with an attachment, then proceed to delete the attachment in the trash, one has to close Mail first. It is annoying.

I am not sure what sequence you are entailing.

I do know that if I can trash an attachment without closing Mail as soon as the email/attachment has finished being sent. Which make perfect sense.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Just monitored a SMB setup that is working fine.

Perhaps this could help you: How to Connect to Windows File Sharing (SMB) http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568 or 10.6.5 fixes slow SMB browsing http://www.macwindows.com/
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I am not sure what sequence you are entailing.

I do know that if I can trash an attachment without closing Mail as soon as the email/attachment has finished being sent. Which make perfect sense.

If I download a photo, email it to someone, then delete the photo, I cannot empty the trash without closing mail first. The mail program "hangs on" to the picture and gives me the message "the operation can't be completed because the item is in use"

I am impressed that Snow Leopard can use the contraction "can't" in a dialog box. Mr. Data couldn't use contractions in the 23rd century. OSX is indeed ahead of it's time.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

If I download a photo, email it to someone, then delete the photo, I cannot empty the trash without closing mail first. The mail program "hangs on" to the picture and gives me the message "the operation can't be completed because the item is in use"

I am impressed that Snow Leopard can use the contraction "can't" in a dialog box. Mr. Data couldn't use contractions in the 23rd century. OSX is indeed ahead of it's time.

I get the same message until the email/attachment is finished sending.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I don't have a Mac developer account. Can someone use with the dev update use OpenGL Extensions Viewer.app to show us the OpenGL support to expect?

Quote:

1) Can you choose Secure Empty Trash, instead?

2) Did this occur previous to 10.6.3?

3) That whole contraction thing with Data was(is) lame and he certainly has used contractions in the show that they've missed.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CitizenHobbes View Post

I think you mean when you empty the trash that contains the already deleted attachment. Anyway, it's not just Mail. You can't empty the trash if it contains a photo that you've opened in Preview, until you quit Preview.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think you mean when you empty the trash that contains the already deleted attachment. Anyway, it's not just Mail. You can't empty the trash if it contains a photo that you've opened in Preview, until you quit Preview.

I have to agree with the other posters. Mail should be making a copy of the original attachment for sending, thus freeing up the original for whatever the user wishes to do with it. This is unlike Preview where you are viewing the original copy of this file.

Since we have two posters with the same issue in only a few posts I'd wager there are many with this same gripe.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Can you choose Secure Empty Trash, instead?

2) Did this occur previous to 10.6.3?

3) That whole contraction thing with Data was(is) lame and he certainly has used contractions in the show that they've missed.

1) Yes, I can empty trash securely.

2) I have had this issue since upgrading to Snow Leopard, whatever number that was.

3) Star Trek the Next Generation was on for seven years. After that period of time there is a lot of turnover with writers, directors and producers, hence continuity errors occur.

Before I am accused of negativity, I would like to say for the record that I am pleased with Snow Leopard. My iLife apps no longer crash, my widgets work and I like they way you can resize icons in the finder with the convenient sliders. Previewing movies and songs in icon view is cool as well. Well done.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    nanotechnanotech Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkroeger View Post

Heaven forbid that keyboard and trackpad inputs become responsive! Maybe that was "unresponsive?"

Yeah I was wondering about that too...
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

I have had this issue since upgrading to Snow Leopard, whatever number that was.

So are you looking for help? Is so, tell us what the 'number' is.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    God I hope this update improves OpenGL performance so it's at least close to Windows. And I hope it comes out sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

So are you looking for help? Is so, tell us what the 'number' is.

10.6.3 Thanks.