Alleged iPhone 4G part suggests Apple could offer white front panel

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ridikulas View Post

When 3g first came out, the white signaled "premium" because only the larger hard drive version had white so maybe they're doing the same thing here.

I have a black 3G 16 GB, which was the largest capacity at the time, and I purchased it within a month of release. So are you sure about your claim here? Perhaps the situation you describe only lasted a month?

Thompson
  • Reply 22 of 42
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I have a black 3G 16 GB, which was the largest capacity at the time, and I purchased it within a month of release. So are you sure about your claim here? Perhaps the situation you describe only lasted a month?

Thompson

I don't think he meant the 16 GB only came in white but that white only was available by going to the 16GB. There were no 8GB white.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    ridikulasridikulas Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I don't think he meant the 16 GB only came in white but that white only was available by going to the 16GB. There were no 8GB white.

This is what I meant.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

They will love the sleek chunkyness.

sleek clunkyness?

i like the white, matches the iconic earbuds.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    cwfrederickcwfrederick Posts: 171member
    I'm REALLY hoping these sweet back and white iPhone HDs come with matching white and black stereo Bluetooth headphones (which, incidentally, would be perfect for the iPad). Speaking of the iPad, anybody else think it's likely that apple will release an iPad pro in the fall that matches the new iPhones? It might upset a few early adopters (not me) but IMO early dominance is better than letting some of the copycats mooch off apples innovation yet again. A white iPad Pro would look pretty nice in the hospital.

p.s. If anybody has any doubts about how apple will fare in the mobile ad market, just check out googles ad below for apple pie. Haha, what a joke!
  • Reply 26 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    People, the hole in the front isn't for a camera. It's for the holo-emitter.

iChat Holograms will make Android look ancient.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Wrong thread, but this just popped into my head.

Could it be that this "new" design is not the only iPhone to come in the summer?

Perhaps the "old" design with some tweaks for GSM phones and the new design for CDMA, or the other way around.

I'm sure there a multiple reasons why this isn't true, and I'll hear about them, but the idea just poppsed into my head.

Later...
  • Reply 28 of 42
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I don't understand the sudden 'cut-off' horizontal line about level with the home button, rather than making the aluminium case one solid block - any clarification on that?

I'd say check Gizmodo's tear-down for any clues if you're interested.

**I did check and the function of the frame interruptions is not evident.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

sleek clunkyness?

i like the white, matches the iconic earbuds.

White iPhone HD and white earbuds, sounds good

or maybe black iPhone with black earbuds?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    How about having your phone modded by mixing parts: black on one side and white on the other--harlequin phone, or Michael Jackson model?
  • Reply 31 of 42
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'd say check Gizmodo's tear-down for any clues if you're interested.

**I did check and the function of the frame interruptions is not evident.

Possible explanations for the seams I've heard:

- stress relief (flexing) for an otherwise too rigid part.

- "grabbing" points for external devices/dongles that connect to the docking port or audio jack.

- actual seams (making the radio antenna portion on the bottom "swappable")
  • Reply 32 of 42
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

How about having your phone modded by mixing parts: black on one side and white on the other--harlequin phone, or Michael Jackson model?

Ebony & Ivory?

How about all white, but make the screen negative to match (like hitting "Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-8" on a Mac)? Sort of a bizarro "ghost" phone.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Ideal for girls, arabs and p-diddly

Ι don't think this comment is sexist or racist at all, pc has gone too far, that's what these groups of people usually buy.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Ι don't think this comment is sexist or racist at all, pc has gone too far, that's what these groups of people usually buy.

I'd classify it as stereotypical, but to be racist or sexist you have to imply that the comment makes the pigeonholed group(s) look inferior for it. The biggest offense here is that it just wasn't that funny (sorry SpinDrift).
  • Reply 35 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

White iPhone HD and white earbuds, sounds good

or maybe black iPhone with black earbuds?

They had many opportunities to do so, but they've never done that that I remember. The earbuds, dock cable and dock could have all been black with black iDevices as far back as the first U2 iPod. White cable & buds made sense when the iPods were all white, but it seems backwards when most iPhones are black these days.

The new white model is more consistent, the white back/black face on the old models didn't make sense to me, almost might as well make it checkered if you're going to mix it up like that. I think I'll pick the black model, but I wouldn't be offended with a white one.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Definite TURN-OFF

Black brings out the screen contrast and colors more. Hopefully this is wrong or at least Black is an option.

I'm surprised at how sloppy and how many leaks have come up for the 4G. Not like Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    chillinchillin Posts: 59member
    Of all the Apple news sites, I think Appleinsider is the most accurate. Which is why it bothers me that they too keep repeating something that is FALSE. Apple's next iPhone is neither a 4th generation Apple device, nor is it a 4G cell technology device.

Consider:

The original iPhone used EDGE. Marketing likes to call EDGE a 2.5G cell technology, but that's bullshit. EDGE is really 3G. The first iPhone technically was a 3G phone.

The iPhone 3G, Apple's second iPhone release, was not a generation bump from the original. It's basically exactly the same phone, with a different baseband radio, and a GPS chip. Even Apple internally considers these two phones from the same generation.

The iPhone 3GS, also a 3G cell tech phone, is a generation bump. Along with the 2nd Gen iTouch, it uses a faster processor. Apple internally considers this the 2nd Generation of iPhone.

Apple's NEXT iPhone will be a 3G phone, not, as journalists and commenters everywhere like to puke, a 4G phone. so... "iPhone 4G" is clearly an incorrect way to label Apple's next iPhone. Also, it is at best a third generation phone product from Apple, thus calling it "4G iPhone" is also wildly incorrect.

To rehash, Apple's next iPhone, whatever it is, will NOT be a 4G cell phone, it will be a 3G, and also, it is only Apple's 3rd generation of cell phones. So can we please call it "iPhone HD" or possibly "iPhone4." To call it 4G anything is incorrect.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chillin View Post

Of all the Apple news sites, I think Appleinsider is the most accurate. Which is why it bothers me that they too keep repeating something that is FALSE. Apple's next iPhone is neither a 4th generation Apple device, nor is it a 4G cell technology device.

Consider:

The original iPhone used EDGE. Marketing likes to call EDGE a 2.5G cell technology, but that's bullshit. EDGE is really 3G. The first iPhone technically was a 3G phone.

The iPhone 3G, Apple's second iPhone release, was not a generation bump from the original. It's basically exactly the same phone, with a different baseband radio, and a GPS chip. Even Apple internally considers these two phones from the same generation.

The iPhone 3GS, also a 3G cell tech phone, is a generation bump. Along with the 2nd Gen iTouch, it uses a faster processor. Apple internally considers this the 2nd Generation of iPhone.

Apple's NEXT iPhone will be a 3G phone, not, as journalists and commenters everywhere like to puke, a 4G phone. so... "iPhone 4G" is clearly an incorrect way to label Apple's next iPhone. Also, it is at best a third generation phone product from Apple, thus calling it "4G iPhone" is also wildly incorrect.

To rehash, Apple's next iPhone, whatever it is, will NOT be a 4G cell phone, it will be a 3G, and also, it is only Apple's 3rd generation of cell phones. So can we please call it "iPhone HD" or possibly "iPhone4." To call it 4G anything is incorrect.

I may be wrong, but I believe Apple referred to it as the iPhone 4G in their police report. certainly the police referred to it this way in the report..
  • Reply 39 of 42
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

So can we please call it "iPhone HD".

It is not HD. No way, no how.

And if we redefine HD, we can redefine 4G instead.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Consider:

Nothing you've written is accurate or makes sense.

2007 ? Apple sells their 1st generation of the iPhone

2008 ? Apple sells their 2nd generation of the iPhone

2009 ? Apple sells their 3rd generation of the iPhone

2010 ? (Guess what comes next?)

Unless you are going to argue that Apple will not be releasing their 4th generation of the iPhone this year or that the "prototype" wasn't the next iPhone then I see no problem calling it 4G. What you're talking about is cellular tech.

Granted, the term is ambiguous but that is why I use 'Gx' before iPhone to refer to the iPhone's generation and 'xG' after to refer to the cellular tech generation. Example: G1 iPhone was released in 2007." and "Hopefully the G4 iPhone will be released at WWDC."

BTW, EDGE may be considered a 3G radio tech by the ITU but it's squarely in 3GPP's GSM family and therefore is considered a '2G' technology. Don't try to split hairs here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It is not HD. No way, no how.

And if we redefine HD, we can redefine 4G instead.

If iPhone can record 720p video ,that is HD

If iPhone can load into iPod app 720p video, that is HD

if iPhone can playback 720p video, that is HD.

iPhone HD makes the most sense to me now.