Apple's latest iPhone OS 4 beta adds customizable user dictionary

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Users will be able to add and edit their own words to the iPhone's dictionary when Apple delivers the iPhone OS 4 software upgrade to the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS this summer.

One of the many minor features set to be added to the iPhone in the latest upgrade was revealed Wednesday by Gizmodo. The custom dictionary will allow users to add their own words and unique spellings, and will automatically recommend those words as users type them.

The new option, "Edit User Dictionary," can be found in the Keyboard section of the handsets Settings application in beta 4 of iPhone OS 4. There, users can press the plus button and add their own words.

This will allow users to bypass the "learning" feature found in previous versions of the iPhone OS, where the software will remember when the user chooses to discard a recommended spelling from the built-in dictionary.

When iPhone OS 4 was formally announced in April, Apple highlighted seven major features in the operating system upgrade. It also noted that the update would pack in more than 100 minor features, but did not go into detail on them.

As new betas of the iPhone OS have trickled out -- including the fourth release this week -- various new features have been added. Beta 4 includes the ability to view photo camera rolls in landscape, new wallpaper images, an option to turn off MMS messaging, and even suggested that Internet tethering with AT&T could be a part of the new release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Ducking he'll, I don't have this feature.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    That is glorious.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    mavismavis Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ducking he'll, I don't have this feature.

That's because it's only accessible if you enable one of the two Japanese keyboards. This feature has been present since beta 1.

Someone might want to edit this news post, because it's flat-out WRONG.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... This will allow users to bypass the "learning" feature found in previous versions of the iPhone OS, where the software will remember when the user chooses to discard a recommended spelling from the built-in dictionary. ...

Could someone "in the know" explain this comment.

It doesn't make sense in that the "previous versions" of the iPhone OS don't actually have a "learning feature" for the built in dictionary. There is the "auto-correct" feature that learns words, but it's not a dictionary nor is it related to the built in dictionary as far as I have heard.

The article also says you will be able to edit the built in dictionary, but then implies that one will only be able to add words, which isn't actually editing at all. For instance this feature would be quite useless for those of us hoping for a UK English dictionary or a Canadian English Dictionary which was my hope when I read the title of the article. If it's just a list of words added in the sense of an additional "custom dictionary" (a la Microsoft Word), then it's only main use would be adding the swearwords back in or adding a list of similarly obscure terms etc.

Is this really a dictionary? Can it really be edited? Some of the articles here are far more confusing than they are illuminating. Perhaps making them more than ten sentences long might help?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Now I don't have to have an address contact text field worthy of a George Carlin routine in order to type emails without the iPhone suggesting "ship"
  • Reply 6 of 43
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Could someone "in the know" explain this comment.

point 1). It doesn't make sense in that the "previous versions" of the iPhone OS don't actually have a "learning feature" for the built in dictionary. There is the "auto-correct" feature that learns words, but it's not a dictionary nor is it related to the built in dictionary as far as I have heard.

The article also says you will be able to edit the built in dictionary, but then implies that one will only be able to add words, which isn't actually editing at all. For instance this feature would be quite useless for those of us hoping for a UK English dictionary or a Canadian English Dictionary which was my hope when I read the title of the article. If it's just a list of words added in the sense of an additional "custom dictionary" (a la Microsoft Word), then it's only main use would be adding the swearwords back in or adding a list of similarly obscure terms etc.

Is this really a dictionary? Can it really be edited? Some of the articles here are far more confusing than they are illuminating.
    point 2). Perhaps making them more than ten sentences long might help?

1). My 3G does? enter an 'obscure' word a couple of times and it is 'learned', admittedly 'added' would be more correct, however, it's a matter of semantics.

2). aaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh NO PLEASE NO. I have enough trouble reading the plethora of RSS's and Forums, let's keep it simple
  • Reply 7 of 43
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    These are all 'small toys' which are really no big deal. Time to see some huge bells & whistles on the new IPHONE. Hope Apple delivers.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    This has been a long time comeing.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

This has been a long time comeing.

Sorry, but you'll have to keep waiting. The customizable dictionary is only for the Japanese keyboards.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    kriskkalukriskkalu Posts: 59member
    Staying like 5 seconds on the home page displays a malware message, with a link to a .ru website.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Every time a mobile device gets a feature desktops have had for years, is it going to be news?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Staying like 5 seconds on the home page displays a malware message, with a link to a .ru website.

Yes, I noticed that when my Little Snitch app warned me about it and asked if I wanted to block it - which I did. Install it and you can block almost anything.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    clexmanclexman Posts: 208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Google Chrome warned me to keep away, but I let it load anyway and I got a prompt to install a plugin.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    jay27jay27 Posts: 2member
    You can already disable MMS messaging.......
  • Reply 15 of 43
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Google Chrome

The website at appleinsider.com contains elements from the site tenthprofit.ru, which appears to host malware

Anyone else getting this warning with AI?
  • Reply 16 of 43
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Any news of what the localisations actually are, and if "English" has been more accurately renamed to be US English, (and by inference when we will get a UK English option...)
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Any news of what the localisations actually are, and if "English" has been more accurately renamed to be US English, (and by inference when we will get a UK English option...)

I just checked and yes, there is a "British English" option under Languages. Is that new?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavis View Post

I just checked and yes, there is a "British English" option under Languages. Is that new?

In Settings > General > International > Language on my normal iphone running the latest V3 OS, there is only "English", and it's really US English. If they have British English in, I presume that they have others, or is the main one still "English"?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

In Settings > General > International > Language on my normal iphone running the latest V3 OS, there is only "English", and it's really US English. If they have British English in, I presume that they have others, or is the main one still "English"?

You don't have British English listed forth from the bottom?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't have British English listed forth from the bottom?

Nope, my list as as follows (forgive the lack of using the proper alphabets...):

English

Francais

Deutsch

Something in Kanji

Nederlands

Italiano

Espanol

Portugues

Portugues (Portugal)

Dansk

Suomi

Norsk (bokmal)