Apple repeals no-cash policy, gives woman free iPad for her troubles

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    formerarsgmformerarsgm Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Didn't mean to cause any offense. Probably my liberal white-guy guilt getting in the way again!

Why would you feel guilty? We all know that being a "white guy" makes you the least protected class. Rules and laws regarding discrimination apply to everyone except you. I think frustrated is the word you're looking for.

At the same time, I didn't read any racial undertones in this story or article. So, let's leave that alone.

If you want to state that this lady is 'one of those customers' who storms out of retail stores when she's disappointed and starts calling news stations, lawyers, or activist organizations - then we have a conversation. I'd imaging that IF she had asked a store manager NICELY, she would have been able to pay cash. So many consumers forget that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This thread is heading down a bad road. I'm unsubscribing, later.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I went with my 12 year old nephew last week who cleaned out his savings account of good grade rewards, birthday money etc to buy an ipad. All cash. It was our second trip since the first time they were sold out and we had to sign up to wait for one.

I didn't know about the policy, but wasn't going to raise a fuss since I'm aware (from having done retail myself) that there's nothing illegal about the restriction. I was going to buy the ipad for him with my debit card and then go deposit his cash into my account on the way home.

But then I figured give it a shot and politely asked to speak to a manager. This by the way was an an LA store in an area that is rumored to get a lot of resellers trying to buy stuff.

I explained the situation to the manager who totally waived the rule and let Lucas buy his ipad himself, with cash. The manager even rang Lucas up himself, helped him activate the ipad and told him about a couple of games his son (who is about the same age) really likes.

Kind of makes me wonder if Ms Campbell actually spoke to a manager or just took her no and her indignation out the door and to ABC.

Crybabies always get more attention, so she probably went straight to the news.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildcatherder View Post

It says so on our money.

I had an idiot in an art store in San Francisco try to refuse to sell me a poster for cash, insisting on a credit card. When I offered to come back with the police, I got my poster...for cash.

A vendor always has the option of choosing their preferred, or required method of payment. It's a free country.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

"...preefrood..."

You're kidding, right?
  • Reply 46 of 93
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What an absurd argument.

The store manager followed Apple's policy. Why should Apple fire him for following policy.

The person who showed Woz the iPad violated Apple's policy. Why shouldn't Apple be able to fire someone for blatantly violating policy?

You trolls have gone downhill.

Since you admit that you don't know what you're talking about, why are you posting? Others have already answered this.

The bottom line is that Apple has a reason for requiring credit cards. Maybe they don't want that much cash in the store. Maybe they want to track owners to make sure that no one is buying 100 units and selling them on the black market. Whatever their reason, it's a pretty good bet that Apple knows their business better than you do.

To AI, please change your headline. Apple didn't repeal the policy, they made an exception (actually, they didn't even do that since she didn't pay cash for her iPad, anyway. Apple chose to give away an iPad for PR. That has nothing to do with repealing their policy as you've alleged.

Wow. If you look up the definition of trolling jragosta, you'll find it describes what you are doing ? being disagreeable merely to attempt to insult and berate others and making no valid points.

I read the article and I posted my thoughts. I encourage others to do the same.

It was also posted in the main article that Ron Johnson and Apple did repeal the policy after the news feature appeared. Please read more carefully in the future.

Have a nice day.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    kyle172kyle172 Posts: 64member
    She could of gone out and bought a pre-paid credit card or Debt card. Good story though
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Nothing racist about my comment. As a man of color, I see this every day. Maybe you need to move the racist bus out of your line of sight

A man of color? I hate that term "people (person) of color," what does that mean? Unless someone is transparent, we are all people of color - white is a color, too (and there are many shades of white as with all the various shades of brown and tan (etc.) that cover the globe)!! Sorry, to get off topic here.

As for her iPad story - not a big deal story to me, but she seems like a nice lady, so good for her. It was a foolish policy to begin with.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    voodooruvoodooru Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Ugh this whole story has been pissing my off for the last couple of days. You know how many people have paid with cash and never made a big stink about it? I can't believe Apple wasted an iPad on this stupid lady. How hard would it have been to go buy a prepaid card with her cash on it? It's not like it was all that big of an ordeal... "she saved for her iPad for sooo long!" Two weeks!! That is not a long time! If it was more like 5 months since the initial announcement on her supposed fixed income, I would definitely feel badly about the situation.

This just shows people that if they get all huffy about the situation, they deserve stuff for free. That is dumb. She could have just talked to the management and used her own "hard-earned" dollars to buy it like she should have in the first place. It's obvious from comments that management will waive this "rule" when presented with reasoned explanations.

"I don't want to use a credit card! Can I have this for free??" Pffft.

Ladies and gentleman, this is why mankind is doomed.

get a clue dude. the lady wasn't asking for a freebee ... at all.

you have issues.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

I'd imaging that IF she had asked a store manager NICELY, she would have been able to pay cash. So many consumers forget that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Crybabies always get more attention, so she probably went straight to the news.

After watching the video, what in her demeanor makes you think she was not nice to the store manager or any store employee? Based off the video I can only give her the benefit of the doubt that she was nice to the employee, she seems like a relatively nice lady before and after receiving the iPad. Do not project your possible way of acting or stereotypes or assumptions of others into this story. After living in the Bay Area for a while I've realized many people here are pacifist and do not like face-to-face confrontation and would rather walk away (in general). Also, how do we even know SHE contacted the news, maybe she told someone her story and they called the news. A lot of presumptions are taking place on this thread without knowing all the details. Unless we have all these details, stop guessing and over-thinking and assuming and just go with the actual facts of the story and comment on those.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

A man of color? I hate that term "people (person) of color," what does that mean?

It means that I'm mulatto; a person of mixed white and black ancestry. In my case, more black than white Technically that does make me a man of color. Sorry you hate the term.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:

It says so on our money.

I had an idiot in an art store in San Francisco try to refuse to sell me a poster for cash, insisting on a credit card. When I offered to come back with the police, I got my poster...for cash.

Which store?
  • Reply 53 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

A man of color? I hate that term "people (person) of color," what does that mean? Unless someone is transparent, we are all people of color - white is a color, too (and there are many shades of white as with all the various shades of brown and tan (etc.) that cover the globe)!! Sorry, to get off topic here.

As for her iPad story - not a big deal story to me, but she seems like a nice lady, so good for her. It was a foolish policy to begin with.

To be picky, pure white is something that reflects all colored light wavelengths whilst black absorbs all colored light wavelengths. So it could be argued neither are colors in the same way as what we see as colors are ... but just yanking your chain

I used to be white but since spending 20 years in Florida I alternate between red and brown.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I used to be white but since spending 20 years in Florida I alternate between red and brown.

Oddly enough, I alternate between brown and browner
  • Reply 55 of 93
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Let's go back to basics and remember that Apple put in the no-cash policy to promote fairness - that no one could just walk into several stores, pay cash and walk out with a huge stash of iPads for personal resale, export and resale, or whatever. They wanted everyone to get a fair shot at buying an iPad, first-come, first-served. Unfortunately, general policies aren't perfect in this complex world and unfair situations are bound to arise. Apple recognized this and made adjustments.

I happened to learn directly from a store employee that the two-per-customer policy did prevent abuse at one Apple store right after the 3Gs went on sale. A fellow brought a bunch of relatives along with him, identifying them as "individual customers" but trying to pay for 10 iPads with the same credit card. It was obvious to the store staff what he was up to. They didn't let him get away with it, despite his loud complaints and making a big scene. Apparently he didn't get much sympathy from the other customers who had been waiting patiently to buy theirs.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Fixed income Americans are pretty rich I guess. Inspires me to hope that one day, I too will be able to afford one.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Fixed income Americans are pretty rich I guess. Inspires me to hope that one day, I too will be able to afford one.

In this economy I guess a fixed income might be considered rich vs. the incredible amount of unemployed or those that had their homes repo'd.

Like you, I can't afford an ipad right now. I am hoping to upgrade to the new iPhone though
  • Reply 58 of 93
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Good thing you didn't call the police. They would have laughed at you. A vendor is not required to close a deal by accepting cash.

Quote:

It says so on our money.

• Reply 59 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quash View Post

With all these errors, Im forced to believe, Apple iPad spellcheck sucks, it needs a grammar check as well. These days people are so lazy to just read before posting their stuff

You missed the apostrophe in the word "I'm", period after sucks, capitalise the "I" in the word "it" and the sentence "...people are so lazy to just..." should read "...people are too lazy to just...".

Other than that I agree with you whole heartedly.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    Whine enough and you'll get what you want.... and more than you deserve.

I ended up replacing a screen on a 13" MacBook Pro for free last week because the customer bought a Netbook bag from our store and the strap broke as he threw it over his shoulder....he didn't even buy the MacBook from our store. $560 for that repair. Actually the clip didn't break on the bag, he didn't check to make sure it was secure.....