Apple repeals no-cash policy, gives woman free iPad for her troubles

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

WTF are you talking about?

... if she saved up for the iPad and got a free one, she can now purchase a second hand Mac or a cheap PC to enable the iTunes - iPad partnership many in this thread said she'd need. In fact it was also pointed out the Apple folks most likely got her going on the iPad but updates etc. would need a computer in the future. Hence the perfectly sensible comment by solipsism. Ok, clear now?
  • Reply 82 of 93
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

I'd almost guarantee that she didn't speak to anyone except ABC. And I wonder if she would have received a free one if she was white?\

Oh Frack....don't EVEN try the tired ass race card bullshit....
  • Reply 83 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Ugh this whole story has been pissing my off for the last couple of days. You know how many people have paid with cash and never made a big stink about it? I can't believe Apple wasted an iPad on this stupid lady. How hard would it have been to go buy a prepaid card with her cash on it? It's not like it was all that big of an ordeal... "she saved for her iPad for sooo long!" Two weeks!! That is not a long time! If it was more like 5 months since the initial announcement on her supposed fixed income, I would definitely feel badly about the situation.

This just shows people that if they get all huffy about the situation, they deserve stuff for free. That is dumb. She could have just talked to the management and used her own "hard-earned" dollars to buy it like she should have in the first place. It's obvious from comments that management will waive this "rule" when presented with reasoned explanations.

"I don't want to use a credit card! Can I have this for free??" Pffft.

Then quit f*cking reading about it! idiot
  • Reply 84 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

What is the "APPLE ACCOUNT" that everyone has to sign up for when buying an iPad? I'm not familiar with one.

You need an Apple account in iTunes to activate the iPad
  • Reply 85 of 93
    muncywebmuncyweb Posts: 157member
    "A dollar of what?" The dollar is not a THING, it is a unit of WEIGHT MEASUREMENT. Americans have been so dumbed down, we believe that somehow these PAPER slips that we carry around are so powerful. Even the federal reserve will tell you that these Federal Reserve Notes have no intrinsic value. Only our faith gives it value.

Why would Apple need to reward someone for telling them something they already knew? If they set up a rule that said people can only use plastic to make their purchase, couldn't they logically deduct that people who had FRNs wouldn't be able to pay?

What is the deal with having to set up an Apple account? I'm curious, what information do they ask for? Are the days long gone when we could travel, purchase or otherwise be free to do what we want without revealing our personal information?
  • Reply 86 of 93
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

She should have asked Steve Jobs to sign it, posted on eBay and made an even bigger profit IMO.

That is funny.
  • Reply 87 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

... if she saved up for the iPad and got a free one, she can now purchase a second hand Mac or a cheap PC to enable the iTunes - iPad partnership many in this thread said she'd need. In fact it was also pointed out the Apple folks most likely got her going on the iPad but updates etc. would need a computer in the future. Hence the perfectly sensible comment by solipsism. Ok, clear now?

Who says she doesn't already have a MAC or PC? Didn't see anything in the story about that...
  • Reply 88 of 93
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Ugh this whole story has been pissing my off for the last couple of days. You know how many people have paid with cash and never made a big stink about it? I can't believe Apple wasted an iPad on this stupid lady. How hard would it have been to go buy a prepaid card with her cash on it? It's not like it was all that big of an ordeal... "she saved for her iPad for sooo long!" Two weeks!! That is not a long time! If it was more like 5 months since the initial announcement on her supposed fixed income, I would definitely feel badly about the situation.

This just shows people that if they get all huffy about the situation, they deserve stuff for free. That is dumb. She could have just talked to the management and used her own "hard-earned" dollars to buy it like she should have in the first place. It's obvious from comments that management will waive this "rule" when presented with reasoned explanations.

"I don't want to use a credit card! Can I have this for free??" Pffft.

Listen Troll, leave your leave your bigoted comments at the door. Surprised you didn't say "uppity"
  • Reply 89 of 93
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    [QUOTE=zoetmb;1636212]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Do they search the database for previous purchases to the same name before selling you an iPad? Does Apple really store every purchase from every store in a common database accessible by all stores?

Obviously you have never dealt with the "business account" side of Apple's Retail Stores. Where once it was simple to obtain the modest discount, provided you dealt with a "business associate", they are pushing hard to make it a far more draconian process. The idea was to allow any store associate access to the business account database, but it has proven to be ridiculous.

Case in point: I call my local Apple Store and ask them to hold 3 moderately priced items for me to pick up that evening. Simple, right? Uh, no. When I get there, 3 different associates approach me and I explain the same situation the them, although not at the same time. All three disappear to check for the held items, then one-by-one, they all reappear with the same problems: "What was your name again?" and "What was your company name again?" followed by "We cannot find any orders for that name/business. I'm sorry, but you'll need to pay full price for these items."

Now, normally, I cut the retail folks some slack. But not this time. This entire process was now at the 45 minute mark and I was getting pissed. What really shocked me was that in spite of my asking, they said the manager was "busy". I found that just a little hard to believe when I was now in the store for over 45 minutes.

In the end, I pushed back hard, and got the lowly discount. The only reason I WAS pushing back was to make it clear when I filed my taxes that these would be considered business purchases.

The next day, my regular business associate called me and apologized about the situation. As I mentioned earlier, apparently Apple is attempting to provide business account access to all associates on the floor. To do so means an entirely new database system that does not interface well with the old "business only" system. The system managed to lose all track of the tens of thousands of bucks I have spent on both my "day job" business and "Apple only" business. They had no record of either!

So, to take the long way 'round to answer your question about tracking? Heck yes, they track almost everything when it matters to them. Although I think that the volume they are receiving now in all aspects is pushing the limits of their current scalable model.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Oh Frack....don't EVEN try the tired ass race card bullshit....

Huh

What "race card" are you talking about? I stated that I'm a mulatto, a person of mixed race. I see black people get free stuff everyday because they complain, often loudly; dinners, tickets, and now, apparently iPads.

So, in the World According To Coolcat, I'm pulling the race card because I'm black and commented that I wondered whether the lady would've got a free iPad if she was white? (she isn't)

This is what happens when cousins marry.
  • Reply 91 of 93
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

She can use the money she saved to buy a PC to activate, backup and update her iPad.

Yeah, funny that no one once mentioned that you can't use the iPad until you plug it into iTunes for the first time. Maybe that's what they mean by activating it, they now do it in the store.

She still will need a computer to update to OS 4 when it's released.
  • Reply 92 of 93
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildcatherder View Post

Valid for all debts public and private

It says so on our money.

I had an idiot in an art store in San Francisco try to refuse to sell me a poster for cash, insisting on a credit card. When I offered to come back with the police, I got my poster...for cash.

Why do people in so many forums post without knowing what they're talking about? Nobody seems to really know anything anymore, they just talk out their a**es. Legal tender in most countries, incl US and CA, must be accepted as _payment of debt_, as per the quote above, which has been misinterpreted for the convenience of the poster. At the instance of a purchase, no debt exists yet, and a vendor under most circumstances may refuse to sell, even upon offerance of legal tender. Look up "invitation to treat/bargain" vs a binding offer. And even once a debt exists, such as a restaurant bill presented after a meal is ordered and eaten, a county's official currency may still not be legal tender. For example, in Canada, a payment offered consisting of more than 25 $1 loonies is not legal tender, and need not be accepted.

People get upset over places refusing $50 and $100 bills, but the practice is completely legal before a debt exists. On the other hand, if you buy a $5 meal and eat it before paying, you can quite legally force the establishment to take a $100 or $1000 bill in payment if their policy was not clearly stated up front (you might have to wait while they do some banking to make change).

Apple has every right to refuse cash purchases (although it may not be good press to do so), and so did the art store owner. A policeman wouldn't do a thing about it.