Apple removes 'Get a Mac' ads from site, finalizing end of campaign

Comments

• Reply 101 of 157
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I'm a loyal fan of Apple computers since buying my first Mac Book. I intend to repair my current Mac Book, sell it, and get an iPad.

I watched the iPad launch several times and found some interesting things. The main one was that I believe Steve Jobs hinted at the demise of the notebook computer. In the presentation he was clearly saying that the iPad was a new category of device between smart phones and laptops. At the end he made the most interesting statement. This is exactly what he said;

"When you feel all this power, and this much fun, and the internet in your hands, you'll never wanna go back."

I suppose the "...go back" phrase could be referring to smart phones and laptops in the context of his presentation. Since he dismissed netbooks as being inferior I don't think he was referring to those devices.

I made my prediction about laptops going away in this forum thread: http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26443

I truly believe that the days of the Apple laptop are numbered. I still think there will be a desktop Apple available, just not as many models.

Why was the latest release of the Mac Book Pros so subdued? Where was the media show? There wasn't one. It was just updated and put on the site. I really would prefer to see some videos showing all of the latest features and speed enhancements instead of reading a graph showing the new processors are faster and the RAM is larger.

The Apple software is superior and that is what I like most. They use the same processors as other companies use and the same hard drives. Until the iPad A4 it seemed Apple was just becoming a software company with high end hardware integration. Perhaps they will change their tune and create their own chips again which would make them unique in the computer marketplace.

Apple can't be considered a boutique company anymore. They are gigantic. I wonder who will be the next Apple with the greatest innovations.

careful. You'll be labeled a heretic of some sort for expressing an opinion.

ooops, too late. You don't know what you're talking about either...

LOL.
  • Reply 102 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Long answer, but addressed to the wrong person. I am not the one you corrected in your back-and -forth. I am a third party who was commenting from outside the argument. Not touchy at all.

Methinks apologies are in order.
  • Reply 103 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Why do you keep repeating this and ignoring all the people telling you it's a good idea to kill a campaign before it gets stale?

Because it was NOT stale and not even close to becoming stale.

Yes, the basic format was the same: the human personification of a Mac and the human personification of a Windows PC.

But that's where it ended. After that, the stories and scenarios varied vastly - there was infinite potential. The stories and scenarios were interesting, unquestionably funny, and the message communicated was STRONG and compelling.

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

And finally, remember the best one of all?

They worked, and were working well when Apple killed them.

Though the outer formula was the same, the infinite variety of funny scenarios, interesting tales and clever visuals had no limits.

This campaign could have continued for years.

And if you're worried about a marketing message getting stale, you should probably write to Maytag urging them to stop using the "Maytag Repairman," the human personification of "dependability."

He's been in use since 1967 or 43 years ago, and counting, as he is still in use today.

When a marketing effort works, don't change it for arbitrary reasons, or because you're bored with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The "Get a Mac" campaign was not broke.
  • Reply 104 of 157
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

So, Apple decided to change their marketing message. Big deal. Your reading into it that it portends the end of Macs is stupid. Companies change their marketing messages all the time without discontinuing products.
  • Reply 105 of 157
    idreamzidreamz Posts: 7member
    Next new ad,

"Hello, I'm iPhone OS." ..... "And I'm Android."
  • Reply 106 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, Apple decided to change their marketing message. Big deal. Your reading into it that it portends the end of Macs is stupid. Companies change their marketing messages all the time without discontinuing products.

You'd be right if the "Get a Mac" TV ad campaign was followed by a successor, but there will be no more Mac TV ads.
  • Reply 107 of 157
    Quote:

You'd be right if the "Get a Mac" TV ad campaign was followed by a successor, but there will be no more Mac TV ads.

And you know this for a fact, how? Oh, right, you're just making up "facts" to support your absurd argument.
  • Reply 108 of 157
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:

Methinks apologies are in order.

Not at all. I understood you were not addressing me. Just wanted to clarify. You are a gentleman (or woman).
  • Reply 109 of 157
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idreamz View Post

Next new ad,

"Hello, I'm iPhone OS." ..... "And I'm Android."

• Reply 110 of 157
    Quote:

And you know this for a fact, how? Oh, right, you're just making up "facts" to support your absurd argument.

Watch.
  • Reply 111 of 157
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

I wish they'd done one last ad to say goodbye to those great characters. I always thought it should end with the PC (John Hodgman) saying, "I'm a Mac"...

Justin Long: "No, you're a PC."

Hodgman: "No, I'm a Mac. I switched. Now I just need to get the nerve up to tell my parents."

and so on...

yes just like when 3rd watch ended with no real conclustion

me and my kids would watch all the TV spots in a row

the final few are classics

maybe a BD

bootleg will come out ??

peace

• Reply 112 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

i watch some of these fantasy android TV spots and wondered how stupid any one is to think thats the real stuff it can do ??

great sci fi ad thou

and hey my 160 g pod can multi task

• Reply 113 of 157
    Quote:

Yes, the basic format was the same: the human personification of a Mac and the human personification of a Windows PC.

But that's where it ended. After that, the stories and scenarios varied vastly - there was infinite potential. The stories and scenarios were interesting, unquestionably funny, and the message communicated was STRONG and compelling.

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

Remember this?

And finally, remember the best one of all?

They worked, and were working well when Apple killed them.

Though the outer formula was the same, the infinite variety of funny scenarios, interesting tales and clever visuals had no limits.

This campaign could have continued for years.

And if you're worried about a marketing message getting stale, you should probably write to Maytag urging them to stop using the "Maytag Repairman," the human personification of "dependability."

He's been in use since 1967 or 43 years ago, and counting, as he is still in use today.

When a marketing effort works, don't change it for arbitrary reasons, or because you're bored with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The "Get a Mac" campaign was not broke.

remeber the boundy lady with the 9 cups of coffee on one sheet of wet boundy ??

how many of us tried that one ??

and the good to the last drop ones ???

hmmmm

peace 9
  • Reply 114 of 157
    Quote:

No, you're wrong on all counts, that's exactly what he meant, netbooks, which he's well known to consider pieces of crap.

The idea that iPhone OS devices will replace Apple laptops is simply stupid, and anyone who actually believes it demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of the technologies involved, as well as a general misunderstanding of technology and Apple.

But then, you're just here to spread FUD, which is equally lame.

No, he's right. After the iPad intro, for a long time, the first story link on apple.com/startpage was titled, "Is the iPad a laptop killer?"

Seems like Apple was endorsing the idea, and irrefutably promoting the idea and the story by giving it such prominence as the first link on their "startpage."

The story was about "laptops," not "netbooks."

I might agree that an iPad with a forward-facing still and video (for videoconferencing) camera, and an opposite side camera for stills and video would not just be a netbook killer, but would bury it so deep it would be close to China.

I won't be buying the first iteration of the iPad, but maybe next year...

P.S. I'd like to see a third party come out with a diminutive qwerty keyboard that could be connected to the iPhone or touch or the iPad.

I like my depressable buttons!

I spend over $100 to get a Matias tactilepro keyboard for my Mac because the keys are "full-travel" and "scissor-action." I love it, and I can type MUCH faster with it.
  • Reply 115 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I sure hope you're getting paid by the word...

Get screened for ADD. Can you read an entire book?
  • Reply 116 of 157
    idreamzidreamz Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

It doesn't make sense that Apple would wait until now, when the Mac is finally starting to be a popular platform, and really growing, to kill it.

That's like raising a purebred kitten to be a show-winner, only to kill her right as she starts winning best in shows!

Macs continue to improve, become more powerful, and are now starting to get a gaming focus with Steam being ported to them. I have heard that Apple is fixing a lot of issues in its OpenGL drivers due to more games coming to the platform.

The Mac has a good future as a successful platform. Why kill it now? This is what Apple has been wanting for years and now it's finally happening.

Viva Mac.

Also. The creative pro people were the ones keeping Apple in business during the lean years before the iPod. Are they really going to abandon them now? I suppose it is possible but I would hope not.
  • Reply 117 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idreamz View Post

Also. The creative pro people were the ones keeping Apple in business during the lean years before the iPod. Are they really going to abandon them now? I suppose it is possible but I would hope not.

Speaking only for myself, as a creative pro and two-and-a-half decade long Mac zealot, I have often felt slapped around, unappreciated and dissed by Apple.

During that dark period in the mid-90's where EVERY article about Apple sang from the same hymnal writing that Apple was days away from going out of business or being bought by IBM or Sun (and then dissolved into the company such that you could no longer recognize an "Apple" anymore), we zealots continued to stick by Apple and the Mac even when it had hardware quality control issues, the extension-laden operating system crashed at least once an hour, and Windows PCs had become undeniably faster.

One Mac purchase I made during these years, I had to take the machine back to the store three times because of a hardware defect. Speaking of defect, I had every reason to do so, but didn't.

Were it not for the dollars from us "True Believers" that propped Apple up just enough that it didn't go out of business, Apple would not exist today.

Circa 1997, Michael Dell was asked what he would do if he were CEO for Apple, and he said something like, 'I would shut the company down and give back the money to the shareholders."

How now brown cow?

In market cap, Dell is something like 48th, and Apple, Inc. is #3.

HA!

• Reply 118 of 157
    Quote:

Watch.

We already played this game last night. Plain and simple, you have no idea what you are talking about, your "theory" makes no sense at all from a business or technical perspective (as previously pointed out). it's stupid, and you're just on a FUD campaign.
  • Reply 119 of 157
    Quote:

No, he's right.

No, it's a completely stupid meme. Pure FUD, pure bullshit.
  • Reply 120 of 157
    Quote:

We already played this game last night. Plain and simple, you have no idea what you are talking about, your "theory" makes no sense at all from a business or technical perspective (as previously pointed out). it's stupid, and you're just on a FUD campaign.

Speaking of having no idea what your talking about, FUD from a 2 1/2 decades-long Apple and Mac zealot? Does not compute.

I don't even think you believe I'm engaging in FUD, you're just picking a baseless, ad hominem attack because you disagree with me, but can't use intellectual reasoning in a dignified, civil rebuttal.

(If you actually DO believe I'm engaging in FUD I have even less respect for you.)

Instead, as so many posters do, you hurl insults, like "stupid," use foul language like "BS." Not too constructive and symptomatic of the consequences of anonymity.

My aim is to alert my fellow Mac devotees to something VERY important and consequential.

Although Apple is infamous for having a rather "tin ear" to user requests/complaints, perhaps a fair number of us Mac loyalists could express our desires to see the Mac (and Mac OS X) continue as an Apple product line for as long as it is in demand - 5 yrs, 10 yrs - instead of us sitting inert as spectators watching Apple purposely, gradually drain the blood from the Mac product line over the next 2 or 3 years.

And ask that the Mac BE ADVERTISED! On TV, print, billboards - wherever.

I encourage anyone willing to write in support of the Mac to: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

If anyone chooses to do this, I recommend NOT writing one email and BCCing it to everyone. It will probably be flagged as junk mail if you do that.

For better chances, I recommend writing one email and then copy-and-pasting it into individual emails addressed to each person. Make sure you write: "Dear Phil" to [email protected] and not accidentally, "Dear Steve"!