AudoCAD appears headed back to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Is Google's SketchUp much of a competitor to AutoCAD? I'm just wondering why AutoCAD would come out for the Mac after all this time.

http://sketchup.google.com/
  • Reply 22 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Absolutely insane that they haven't been developing for the Mac all this time... but nice to see it finally.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Is Google's SketchUp much of a competitor to AutoCAD? I'm just wondering why AutoCAD would come out for the Mac after all this time.

Sorry man but comparing SketchUp to AutoCAD is like comparing the moon to the sun. They don't even come close.

SketchUp is great for simple CAD work and for anyone needing basic CAD it's a good step but AutoCAD is just infinitely superior.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    YES!!!!!!

FINALLY!!!!

Now what about CATIA V5?
  • Reply 25 of 86
    This is good news indeed. Let's just hope they include everything such as scripting and customization! Then the last win workstations will be used fore some kind of tossing competition!
  • Reply 26 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

This is good news indeed. Let's just hope they include everything such as scripting and customization! Then the last win workstations will be used fore some kind of tossing competition!

And let's not forget LISP.
  • Reply 27 of 86
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

They are not even in the same category. Google Sketch is 3D modeling software and AutoCAD is drafting software as well as BIM software.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    what about Autodesk inventor*? I hope it follows suite.

*Autodesk inventor is from the same company as Autocad.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member
    You should never look for a reason to give her one...
  • Reply 30 of 86
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Autodesk are up themselves, it's about time they pulled their head out of their asses and get in touch with the real world.

Bunch of morons.

Now make sure you RE-WRITE the Autocad interface and get rid of the clunky PC crap that you've got away with for the last decade.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Awesome news. I know lots who have been holding out because of AutoCAD.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Sorry man but comparing SketchUp to AutoCAD is like comparing the moon to the sun. They don't even come close.

SketchUp is great for simple CAD work and for anyone needing basic CAD it's a good step but AutoCAD is just infinitely superior.

Perhaps a candle to the sun. Nothing has effectively challenged autocad ever, doesn't mean it's awesome, it's just everything.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    This makes me very very happy. Now the only thing keeping me from leaving Windows is SolidWorks. I would love to see that happen.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

And let's not forget LISP.

Oh Thisp I remember coding in thisp
  • Reply 35 of 86
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

LMFAO

That's a heck of a mistake...

No once-throughs on these articles, AI?

No, they harvest the collective intelligence of the readers to edit them.

It's cheaper and more effective --provided that the initial product is good enough to merit attention from a lot of readers.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Autodesk are up themselves, it's about time they pulled their head out of their asses and get in touch with the real world.

Bunch of morons.

Now make sure you RE-WRITE the Autocad interface and get rid of the clunky PC crap that you've got away with for the last decade.

Yes, "bunch of morons" that just happened to produce a product that defined a market --and that you seem to want on your Mac.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Yes, "bunch of morons" that just happened to produce a product that defined a market --and that you seem to want on your Mac.

Yes that's for sure, but so did MS. They are a bunch of morons for the most part by all indications.

Anyway, these are Great News, one of the few things missing from the platform, one that's been perpetually in limbo and you 'd thought it would never happen. But they better get off their asses and hurry it though. And yes, put a decent interface to the damn thing too.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    I thought AutoCAD was based on OpenGL, so why didn't they do this years before?
  • Reply 39 of 86
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am not in that industry, but I think the more industrial strength apps the platform has the better. As devices like the iPad take over more basic things like email and web browsing, it will be the big apps that keep people buying traditional desktop computers.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    The question that occurs to me is, "Is this Mac version the result of increased Mac demand, or is it because of decreased PC demand, or both?"