Commercials for Apple's next-gen iPhone to demonstrate video chat

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Television commercials for Apple's forthcoming iPhone upgrade will reportedly showcase the device's video chat abilities and will be shot by an Academy Award winning director.

Engadget declared that it "confirmed" through a source that Apple's new commercials will be directed by Sam Mendes, who won an Oscar for his work on "American Beauty." The tipster said that Apple's next-generation handset is being referred to internally as Mammoth/N90.

"A trusted source has confirmed to us that the ads will feature at least one spot where a mother and daughter are having a video chat conversation using the new front-facing camera that's been spied on the face of that iPhone floating around Vietnam and Northern California," editor Joshua Topolsky wrote.

The website also discovered actors on Twitter who revealed that they are auditioning for the commercial. One actress in New York confirmed that the spot will be directed by Mendes, while an actor in California said last week he was off to an audition.

The details of video chat come as no surprise, as two previous leaked prototype iPhones included a forward facing camera on the device, in addition to the traditional rear camera for shooting photos. Prototypes of the redesigned handset also featured a camera flash, custom A4 processor, larger battery, and higher resolution screen.

The new iPhone is expected to be announced at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, to be held June 7 through June 11 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif. Apple revealed on Monday that Chief Executive Steve Jobs will deliver the event's keynote on June 7 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Yawn. To early in the morn to care.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    I'm curious to see if I actually use this feature or not. I find that after the "gee whiz" feeling wore off, I stopped using video chats on my Mac. But I could imagine that having the ability to do video chats from locations other than my office at home might make the feature more useful. We shall see...
  • Reply 3 of 73
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm curious to see if I actually use this feature or not. I find that after the "gee whiz" feeling wore off, I stopped using video chats on my Mac. But I could imagine that having the ability to do video chats from locations other than my office at home might make the feature more useful. We shall see...

I think the usefulness will be determined by whether it is allowed to run on 3G or not. If it can, then yes, being able to video chat with my kids at home while I am at work would be great.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I do Skype video chats on my Mac all the time (hours a day normally), so I could see a use for this. Especially if the Skype app supports it.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

We use WebEx from Cisco for internal and external meetings. Those who has a WebCam often turns it on. Gives a better presence in the meeting. With this one maybe a user also may be able to run WebEx having a web cam activated?
  • Reply 6 of 73
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Television commercials for Apple's forthcoming iPhone upgrade will reportedly showcase the device's video chat abilities

It is wise for Apple to highlight this feature. AFAIK, it is exclusive to the iPhone.

AFAIK, it is the ONLY exclusive feature on the iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Nice feature. Now the question is will AT&T have the bandwithh to support it?

Hard to believe.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    saltwatersaltwater Posts: 50member
    Fantastic, I already do this for too much long, on My NOKIA 5800, video phone calls, and Skype video drought Fring. Oh, remember Nokia 5800 is like 1/3 the price of the iPhone, so I just wonder how much Apple is going to charge for this!
  • Reply 9 of 73
    801801 Posts: 271member
    I believe that phones in Japan have been able to do this for a while. I wonder what the rate of acceptance vs. continued use is there?
  • Reply 10 of 73
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

It is wise for Apple to highlight this feature. AFAIK, it is exclusive to the iPhone.

AFAIK, it is the ONLY exclusive feature on the iPhone.

HTC EVO has already beat Apple to the punch. Their video chat got demoed a few weeks back. Of course, this is speaking for the US market.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    The iPhone just keeps getting better.

Competition from Android (and maybe Windows 7 Phone, *snigger*?) is good to keep pushing Apple to be competitive in price and features.

Let's hope the iPad sees some real competition and ups its game for the second generation (easy printing, easy linking to external screens/projectors).
  • Reply 12 of 73
    jake_11jake_11 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think the usefulness will be determined by whether it is allowed to run on 3G or not. If it can, then yes, being able to video chat with my kids at home while I am at work would be great.

It is probably safe to say that AT&T won't support this feature. Most likely it will be wifi only. With AT&T I am happy when I can actually make a phone call. I'd be surprised if this was actually allowed over their network. Of course there are rumors the iPhone may go to other carriers that could support this. It will be interesting to see what is announced next month.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Nice feature. Now the question is will AT&T have the bandwithh to support it?

Hard to believe.

From what I have read, it is possible/likely that this will be a Wifi only feature.

iPhoneHacks

Quote:

iPhone OS 4.0 beta also contains error messages for lost calls, disconnected calls and networking issues.

IMAVCHAT_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_NO_REMOTE_WIFI = "The video call could not connect because a remote Wi-Fi connection could not be established.";

IMAVCHAT_DISCONNECTED_NO_LOCAL_WIFI = "The video call disconnected because the local Wi-Fi connection was lost.";

However, MacRumors points out that most of the error messages are for Wi-Fi connectivity related issues but there are no error messages for 3G connectivity related issues, which indicates that the video conferencing feature might work only over Wi-Fi initially and not over 3G.

Gizmodo had similar suspicions.

Having it on 3G would be awesome and I think most international carriers would allow it. But once again, it is likely that AT&T's mediocrity will result in everyone getting a hobbled implementation.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

It is probably safe to say that AT&T won't support this feature. Most likely it will be wifi only. With AT&T I am happy when I can actually make a phone call. I'd be surprised if this was actually allowed over their network. Of course there are rumors the iPhone may go to other carriers that could support this. It will be interesting to see what is announced next month.

That would be my current guess too.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    So will iPhone video chat be compatible with OS X desktop iChat? It would be a nice feature compared to normal phone to phone video chat.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Top Global 3G Phoebus Portable WiFi (802.11 b/g) Router

List Price: $239.95

Your Price: $189.95

You Save: $50.00 (21 %)

• Reply 17 of 73
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake_11 View Post

I would definitely agree. If just normal use of data on an iPhone is putting such a tax on AT&T's systems, I'd hate to see what millions of simultaneous, compressed video streams would do.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

The iPhone just keeps getting better.

Competition from Android (and maybe Windows 7 Phone, *snigger*?) is good to keep pushing Apple to be competitive in price and features.

Let's hope the iPad sees some real competition and ups its game for the second generation (easy printing, easy linking to external screens/projectors).

Competition from Android? Ahem!

Android isn't a single company but a bunch of 3rd party cell phone makers pimping the Android OS. And those cell phone makers also compete with one another. So you failed to take into account, because you don't know what you're talking about, the fact that those Android based cell phone makers compete with each other.

HELLO!!!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 73
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    Four years ago, I remember having seen "video" phones in the wild, in Belgrade (Serbia). They just completed their 3G network and were showcasing it by selling dual-camera phones (front and back). Video chat worked well (their 3G network is much more robust than any US carrier).

Nothing about video chat is new. Then again, none of the iPhone features were new when iPhone introduced them. The fundamental difference between the iPhone and all other phones with same features is, on all those other phones, people essentially just make phone calls, occasionally snap a picture and use contact list to enter phone numbers (together with a nickname) of their friends (ex. "Laura-cell - 1824-648-2465" "Mom - 1824-545-6774"). They are mostly oblivious to all other features (IM, e-mail, web, music/video playback, FM radio, video chat, etc, etc, etc).

IPhone users generally use 80-90% of its features. Therein lies the difference.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Fantastic, I already do this for too much long, on My NOKIA 5800, video phone calls, and Skype video drought Fring. Oh, remember Nokia 5800 is like 1/3 the price of the iPhone, so I just wonder how much Apple is going to charge for this!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ1

Back at you. Doesn't matter the price because Apple has already sold over 41 million iphones and counting soooooooooo you failed +10. Ouch!

Besides, we haven't seen video chat "APPLE STYLE".

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah booooooooyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeee!