Microsoft CEO Ballmer not worried about Apple's market cap

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cykz View Post

I think that Microsoft is doing great with extremely good future opportunities.

Since a few years I have been following (and implementing) their web products such as Sharepoint 2010 and the integration of Office with Sharepoint and there is no doubt that MS is on its way to take over some 40% of the intranet market within 3 years. Furthermore, since they are ramping up their cloud services with approx. 90% of heavy used MS office functionality at incredible affordable pricepoints, getting rid of pirated software along the way, we can expect significant growth for MS.

Um, no... Not really...

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Microsoft web deployments continue to hover at their 1999 levels. Applications like SharePoint and Office do not drive web development as we know it.

As for the their desktop apps, Microsoft should be very worried here. Between Google and OpenOffice, Microsoft's final argument for keeping their "enterprise" users is beginning to erode away. After all, "FREE" is cheaper than "affordable."
  • Reply 102 of 105
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HamNCheese View Post

Um, no... Not really...

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Microsoft web deployments continue to hover at their 1999 levels. Applications like SharePoint and Office do not drive web development as we know it.

As for the their desktop apps, Microsoft should be very worried here. Between Google and OpenOffice, Microsoft's final argument for keeping their "enterprise" users is beginning to erode away. After all, "FREE" is cheaper than "affordable."

True, free is cheaper than affordable. But it is also a matter of strategy and vision. So far, Google has a human centric approach to collaboration through Docs and Wave. Although it is great to plan your wedding with, as I did, it is not good enough for corporate powerstructures. I still can't authorize a new teamleader to all relevant teamdocuments that he/she is responsible for in Google Docs or Wave. And OpenOffice is not even close in building a webenabled office suite. So I stick to my prediction. Thanks for the stat! That was really insightful. We'll wait and see.
  • Reply 103 of 105
    Quote:

Since a few years I have been following (and implementing) their web products such as Sharepoint 2010 and the integration of Office with Sharepoint and there is no doubt that MS is on its way to take over some 40% of the intranet market within 3 years. Furthermore, since they are ramping up their cloud services with approx. 90% of heavy used MS office functionality at incredible affordable pricepoints, getting rid of pirated software along the way, we can expect significant growth for MS.

... with your and Ballmer's optimism .
  • Reply 104 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

So the market cap going from five Hundred and fifty billion to two and a quarter reflect this 'doing great' does it? Think of it like this, if Ballmer had taken over with a market cap of two hundred billion he would now have run Microsoft into the ground. Good job he had a large buffer! But he has burned half way through it and my guess the second half will go a lot faster.
  • Reply 105 of 105
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So the market cap going from five Hundred and fifty billion to two and a quarter reflect this 'doing great' does it? Think of it like this, if Ballmer had taken over with a market cap of two hundred billion he would now have run Microsoft into the ground. Good job he had a large buffer! But he has burned half way through it and my guess the second half will go a lot faster.

I will certainly not say that SB has done great work and obviously MS went down in market cap quite a bit. I just said MS is going to show some cloud based services in a very profitable way. It's hardly game over, I'd say.