Microsoft hopes to triple iPhone's launch with Windows Phone 7

Comments

• Reply 81 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Windows has more mindshare than Android. Everybody in the whole world knows "Windows".

And how bad it is! Double edged sword there.
  • Reply 82 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

So will these Win Phones require Norton, Kaspersky etc.. Will they always be requiring a restart after the tenth update that day? Will they get slower and slower and slower ...???

Also won't all these same manufactures be selling Android phones too? That might make life complicated for MS. I don't see them being able to bully manufacturers into exclusivity these days.
  • Reply 83 of 156
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHHAHA!!!!!

In all seriousness, I think that WP7 has potential, but there's no way that it will be anywhere near RIM, iPhone, Nokia, and Android in sales, at least not for the first few years.

They predict that they will sell 6 million phones per quarter on average for 5 quarters. They predict (as you do) that they will not be anywhere near RIM, Nokia and Android in sales.

They do not predict that they will even be in the top 5.

They do not predict that they will even outsell Apple, who also is not in the top 5.
  • Reply 84 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

When will they (MS) learn that the way to beat Apple, is to do something they aren't already doing, and then they will have the market locked up.

Skip

XBOX

Office

Windows Server

Exchange Server

Shall I go on?
  • Reply 85 of 156
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Good luck MS...you're gonna need it! Although i regularly talk with developers and IT "architects" out there that say even though the iPhone is hugely popular, they still won't write apps for it becasue still many large companies use MS products. It makes no sense for them to develop and support products that work on different platforms. I think MS has some real catching up to do, but given the huge improvement MS has made with Windows 7 (long overdue) i can see how phone 7 will be pretty popular; maybe not as ambitious as Mr. Balmer would like but let's sit back and watch...should be interesting.

If MS-P7 can successfully integrate active synching between enterprise systems and application to the phone, they might have an edge up on Apple, RIM and Android.
  • Reply 86 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Most of the hardware partners MS would have are all making Android phones and those sales are going pretty decent so how many are going to put a full on press in regards to Windows Mobile 7 phones?

The only manufacturer I can cite is Dell. They are coming out with five new phones. Four of them are Android phones.

The flagship of the line, however, will Run Win7.

That surprised me, but it is a fact.
  • Reply 87 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

MS has a phone?

Yes. They recently released it. Two different ones, IIRC (I don't pay much attention to M$ at this point).

However, this article is about a different subject.
  • Reply 88 of 156
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So will these Win Phones require Norton, Kaspersky etc.. Will they always be requiring a restart after the tenth update that day? Will they get slower and slower and slower ...???

Also won't all these same manufactures be selling Android phones too? That might make life complicated for MS. I don't see them being able to bully manufacturers into exclusivity these days.

I'll answer your questions in order:

No

No

Yes (lol)

At least that's what I can tell you about the current windows mobile platform. It just gets slower after a year or so. What I've done is created an image of my "perfect setup" and when I do a hard reset, I can just load from the image and I've got everything I need. I can also create separate backups of my contacts in case I add people that year, know what I mean?

Anyways, just like OSX, windows mobile for years has gotten by without any viruses because of "security through obscurity." It's a common concept. It doesn't mean the OS is completely safe, just that the odds of an attack are. OSX can get viruses like Windows, but it's Windows that's got the attention from hackers.

As far as competing phones go, it's all business to the manufacturer. The way they see it, if they carry many different phones, their potential to appeal to YOU goes up. Like if you don't want android, well have a look at WP7. So long as you're buying the phone from them. Microsoft and Google have no say as to what kind of other phones they can carry. I even think it might be illegal for them to try. Like if Apple told AT&T not to carry Palm phones; I think that might be illegal.
  • Reply 89 of 156
    Quote:

The phone shown is from Dell. They are releasing 4 more, all running Android. No exclusivity there.

The phone shown in the picture, however, is their flagship of the line. I am surprised that they chose the winPhone for that, but maybe M$ wanted exclusivity, and instead, got the flagship phone as a consolation.
  • Reply 90 of 156
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

They predict that they will sell 6 million phones per quarter on average for 5 quarters. They predict (as you do) that they will not be anywhere near RIM, Nokia and Android in sales.

They do not predict that they will even be in the top 5.

They do not predict that they will even outsell Apple, who also is not in the top 5.

Maybe you should learn to tell the difference between ALL mobile phones and smart phones. The overwhelming majority of phones sold (particularly from the top 5 vendors) are dumb phones - and it's unlikely that WinMob 7 is going on those. They would have to capture a huge fraction of smartphones.

For comparison, Apple has reached something like 50 M iPhones in 3 years - and that's the phone that's universally considered the phone to beat and given the best consumer ratings. Aside from only having one cell provider in the US, they have global coverage and a strong ecosystem.

Microsoft's OS won't be out until the end of this year (if they manage to meet a target for a change). That means they'll have 12 months to sell 30 M phones. Just not likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reverie View Post

Why are people so obsessed with those "free" phones? Hello, there's still a $2000 contract attached to each "free" phone!

That's the logical way to look at it - but logic doesn't always prevail. Whenever there's a BOGO offer in cell phones, adoption rates skyrocket.

Quote:

Maybe Ballmer is going to achieve this by giving one free to every Zune owner .

Yes, they could do that. So they only need to sell 29,999,997 more.
  • Reply 91 of 156
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What a pathetic joke. That hideous excuse for an OS is going to sell itself on 30 million phones? Not a chance in the world.

It's really not that bad. I saw a video of the office stuff running on it, and it honestly makes sense. When I first saw that ui, I thought it was crap, but it turns out it's very functional.

The multitasking is pretty much exactly what Apple is doing with the iphone, which is a little weird since Apple is going after anyone who copies multi-touch gestures for crying out loud. I'd say multitasking is a bit more important. But then again, WP7 was announced before OS4.... Makes you wonder.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • Reply 92 of 156
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

The phone shown is from Dell. They are releasing 4 more, all running Android. No exclusivity there.

The phone shown in the picture, however, is their flagship of the line. I am surprised that they chose the winPhone for that, but maybe M$ wanted exclusivity, and instead, got the flagship phone as a consolation.

Here's a link you apparently need:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

You keep confusing projections of future events with current reality. This is silly, particularly when projections from companies like Microsoft so often fail to come true, or only come true in a diluted form and very late.

Let's talk about reality, not some hyper-inflated vaporware idea of someone's distorted view of the future.
  • Reply 93 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Here's a link you apparently need:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

You keep confusing projections of future events with current reality. This is silly, particularly when projections from companies like Microsoft so often fail to come true, or only come true in a diluted form and very late.

Let's talk about reality, not some hyper-inflated vaporware idea of someone's distorted view of the future.

You didn't read the question which my post was in answer to.

I specifically posted the answer in response to a question about the future.

If you want to talk about reality, do it. But please don't butt into an existing conversation about future Win7 phones with an insistence that the subject be changed.

And please don't accuse me of being confused when you don't even know what the heck is currently under discussion in the subthread.
  • Reply 94 of 156
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

With all the vocal blunders Microsoft has made in the past, they are setting themselves up for failure by proclaiming their goal.

Of course, regardless of how many units they give - er... "sell", when the final number is below their expectations, they will already have some kind of verbal marketing script already in place that will explain how "happy" they are with their initial launch.

Has anyone heard how their "amazing" Microsoft Stores are doing?

Ballmer is a sales guy.... this is an 'ABC' motivational goal. Wait till Ballmer sends Alec Baldwin to those Microsoft Stores for some motivational vibes.
    "You know what it takes to sell Windows 7 Mobile Phones? it takes BRASS BALLS to sell Windows 7 Mobile Phones!"
  • Reply 95 of 156
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Ballmer should have kept his mouth shut and taken the speaking gig at WWDC, instead

• Reply 96 of 156
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    that's a great goal, but a goal without a plan is just a dream.

keep on dreaming MS.
  • Reply 97 of 156
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It's really not that bad. I saw a video of the office stuff running on it, and it honestly makes sense..

I saw a video of King Kong climbing the Empire State building, but I don't honestly think it really happened.
  • Reply 98 of 156
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Expect HTC to be at the top of the list, after Apple cut them that side deal on their patents issue.

I believe you meant, "... after Microsoft cut them that side deal on their patents issue." Yes, producing WP7 phones was probably an unwritten condition of that deal.
  • Reply 99 of 156
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Weren't something like 90% of previous/current WinMo phones produced by HTC? If they can actually expand beyond just 1 company producing all their phones it would help. 30M is laughably overshooting.
  • Reply 100 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsp View Post

Buy 1 winPhone 7 and get 3 for free.

You took the words right out of my mind. I was thinking that this was the way Blackberry and Verizond did it and claim to out sell iPhone.