Czech report says iPhone 4G will sport dense, 960x640 IPS display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I Suggested doubling the pixel density along both axis to improve text visibility as well as provide a reatively seamless backward compatibility with existing apps on this very forum a year ago. I am very glad they have chosen this route and look forward to making my first iPhone purchase now that the rumoured features meet my needs.
  • Reply 42 of 107
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Most people? Are you sure about that? Take an iPhone out when out and about and you'll get mugged. I see people using them in offices and in trains mostly.

You're joking right? Where DO you live exactly?!
  • Reply 43 of 107
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

But except for Gruber, and a few others, I refuse to look at white text on a dark BG-- too hard on these old eyes (and brain).

Me too. That's what (in OSX) Command-Option-Control-8 is for!
  • Reply 44 of 107
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

"Why is the iPhone's screen smaller than the iPad?"

"How come I can't create or edit Excel documents on it?"

"Why doesn't the camera come with a telephoto zoom lens?"

"Where's Final Cut Pro?"

"How come there's no app to connect to the Hubble Space Telescope?"

"Why won't AT&T let me make calls for free so I don't have to use their service?"

"Why isn't Steve Jobs' cell number pre-installed in the Contacts?"

And finally...

"Where's Flash?"

GTSC

The App connecting to the hubble is a pretty good idea....
  • Reply 45 of 107
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Me too. That's what (in OSX) Command-Option-Control-8 is for!

You can do the same thing on an iPhone with 4.0 in the new Accessibility menu. It's a little disconcerting as your green App icons like SMS turn pink, but it makes for an interesting effect. It's system wide though, meaning all of your apps use the inverted colors. They also allow up to 56 point text for those who are getting old. I know quite a few people that have been begging for that option.

I read various links posted in this article for 2 hours. Interesting reading I must say. I think the most striking thing is the 'sparkle' factor in the Droid/N1 displays. On the surface they make the colors pop, but they taken the saturation to extreme lengths to make the display eye catching. Although that works for those who enjoy such things I suppose. Very similar to the tactics used by TV salesmen, except when you get your actual TV, it's set to proper specs. I can't believe they over saturate the colors as badly as they do. I was also a bit surprised about the double-width blue and red pixels, which are 'shared' with the surrounding green pixels. They are basically tossing out a lot of color information. The contrast on the iPhone definitely needs works, as it's very obvious when compared with an N1 or Droid, but folks need to realize that simply cranking up the saturation doesn't make a display 'better'. Some of those color charts look downright garish.

I'm actually getting a bit excited about the higher res now that I've seen some images with text in them. It seems it will allow much finer print which should make the browsing experience better. I think that, and the addition of a flash for the camera will be the two features I find most useful.

Question. If/when they announce the new iPhone, how soon after that can you order it, or will this be one of those "we'll have it available in 3 months" sort of things?
  • Reply 46 of 107
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    If this rumoured resolution is true, it will be payback time for all the Android fans with their comments about the current iPhone's "low" resolution.

Amoled isn't that good in my subjective opinion the colours look over bright and garish, on the subject of "washed out" the absence of adequate backlighting makes them next to useless in bright light conditions.

Quote:

I really don't get your point at all. The screen is high-res, that's great, but it's still an LCD. That means washed out blacks, low contrast, and an overall flat look.

When you've seen a good OLED screen (Nexus One), an LCD just looks weak by comparison. A high-res LCD isn't going to fix that.

As this phone may have the highest resolution screen ever seen on a phone, you are missing that phone's such as Symbian with 640x360, Android & WinMo phone's with 800x400 would be LESS suited to this purpose.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnTopOfABerg View Post

Wont be able to play the 720p video its supposed to be able to record, at least not in full resolution? Am I missing something?

• Reply 47 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

"Why is the iPhone's screen smaller than the iPad?"

"How come I can't create or edit Excel documents on it?"

"Why doesn't the camera come with a telephoto zoom lens?"

"Where's Final Cut Pro?"

"How come there's no app to connect to the Hubble Space Telescope?"

"Why won't AT&T let me make calls for free so I don't have to use their service?"

"Why isn't Steve Jobs' cell number pre-installed in the Contacts?"

And finally...

"Where's Flash?"

GTSC

You forgot, "Why doesn't my right speaker work?"
  • Reply 48 of 107
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    I can't believe the number of people in this thread who take the time to respond to the blather of trolls like kotatsu and Stevie.

Give up, folks. These guys thrive on pulling your chains.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Counting the days as my poor little 3G strains under the stress of all I demand of it.
  • Reply 50 of 107
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    960x640 IPS display should offer a noticable difference compared to the 3GS in certain applications on the Iphone like reading, pictures etc. As for comparing it to OLED, since an IPHONE gets used in many different environments with different types of light and angles at this point in time this may be the OVERALL way to go. Perhaps down the road the shortcomings and limited supply of OLED screens can be overcome.

I'm hopeful that this screen achieves the color boost because of the high pixel density.
  • Reply 51 of 107
    Screen burn-in is also an issue with some OLED displays. I'm not sure if Samsung's Super AMOLED solves that or not. Google specifically warns of possible screen burn in the Nexus One manual so it's something to consider. Between this, outdoor viewing problems, and supply problems it seems pretty obvious why Apple would avoid OLED right now. Figure they need to produce 30-40M iPhones this year. That's way too many devices to risk to screen burn-in or supply problems. Just not worth the risk.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

...and limited supply of OLED screens can be overcome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

...and supply problems it seems pretty obvious why Apple would avoid OLED right now.

Despite all the glaring technical reasons why OLED isn't a great fit they all pale in comparison to the elephant in the room. Even if it was the best technical option in every single way, if you can't get enough displays to fill suit your needs it's a non-option.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can't believe the number of people in this thread who take the time to respond to the blather of trolls like kotatsu and Stevie.

I can't believe you're taking the time to comment on people taking the time to comment.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

There is room for a better display, but their notebook displays are not crappy.

The TN Apple laptop screens with LED backlight are complete garbage. 99% of them have a yellow tint in the bottom of the screen. It sucks. So yes I wish they'd use IPS in everything from iPhone to MacBook Pro!!

Also if the dpi goes up...Apps and OS will be designed for it, so if you hook the iPhone to TV to play movies or presentations they'll look better and have higher resolution.

As to where is USB, I think that would be great. But Apple makes lots of money selling stupid adapters. So that is that.

Is is still the case that you can't hook a keyboard up to an iPhone? What'd be great is to be able to turn it into a laptop by hooking up a Bluetooth keyboard and hooking it up to a monitor or TV.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

The TN Apple laptop screens with LED backlight are complete garbage. 99% of them have a yellow tint in the bottom of the screen. It sucks. So yes I wish they'd use IPS in everything from iPhone to MacBook Pro!!

99%, eh? Hyperbole, much? In other words well over 3 MILLION per quarter. Why don't you back that up with some proof?

Anecdotally, I have several Macs this year and purchase several Macs per year for various reasons without a single incident. While I'm sure the issue does exist as it does with all complex CE made on multiple assembly lines by multiple vendors it's not the issue you claim it to be. In all likelihood it's much closer to being less than 1% than all but 1%.

Since you've deemed yourself some sort of expert on this display issue [I]conspiracy[/I, which display vendor can offer Apple that many IPS displays per quarter at the same price and power usage as their current displays?

Why aren't IPS displays rampant on all notebooks, or at least the ones trying to compete for Apple's business if these are so viable. Surely offering a 15" and 17" IPS display on a Pro notebook would turn some heads for photo and video professionals.

Why is HP only just now releasing this month an IPS display for a select model of notebook as an high-end addition? Why have I read that it will cost ~$550 for this DreamColor option? If this is a option for an already expensive EliteBook is it possible that it's like OLED technology in that Apple's volume per model is exceedingly too high to support their needs?

Why haven't you already answered these questions since you are so well versed in the tech and surely know that these are the common questions to be asked? If you can find me proof that 99% of all MBPs sold have faulty displays and can find IPS displays for ~13", ~15", ~17" from all major OEMs then I'll buy you a Bugatti Veyron.

Quote:

Also if the dpi goes up...Apps and OS will be designed for it, so if you hook the iPhone to TV to play movies or presentations they'll look better and have higher resolution.

The resolution of the iPhone's display is independent of the system's maximum actual and allowable resolution for video to an external display. Note that you can add and play video over 480x320 resolution.

Quote:

As to where is USB, I think that would be great. But Apple makes lots of money selling stupid adapters. So that is that.

And yet I grab the original cable or iPod that used USB syncing and charging from any current iDevice or the sync cable it comes with. Other vendors should allow this much backwards compatiblity with their devices.

Quote:

Is is still the case that you can't hook a keyboard up to an iPhone? What'd be great is to be able to turn it into a laptop by hooking up a Bluetooth keyboard and hooking it up to a monitor or TV.

With v4.0 you can use the iPad keyboard dock and Bluetooth keyboards, but there are only esoteric scenarios that can really make you of using that setup on a regular basis.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    Quote:

I really don't get your point at all. The screen is high-res, that's great, but it's still an LCD. That means washed out blacks, low contrast, and an overall flat look.

When you've seen a good OLED screen (Nexus One), an LCD just looks weak by comparison. A high-res LCD isn't going to fix that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There's this thing in the CE design called "trade offs", I'm sure you're familiar with it. ...

In general, the OLED craze strikes me as analogous to building audio systems with very heavy base response-- immediately appealing to a certain demographic but at the cost of musicality and accuracy.

At any rate, it's easy to forever judge Apple by they what don't choose instead of what they do. Since every manufacturer must make tradeoffs, there will always be something sacrificed in favor of something else. All you have to do is decide that the thing sacrificed is the most important and best thing and Apple loses again! But then, you already know that, as a devotee of the technique.

Thank you 'addabox' for the long version of the answer for 'kotatsu' comment before..

But 'kotatsu', didn't you read the AI article first before commenting? The answer is obviously already written in the article above:

"Unlike the AMOLED panel used by Google's Nexus One, the iPhone's new screen will feature the same regular, uniform grid of red, green and blue display elements. The Nexus One's screen uses a "PenTile" grid, reportedly to reduce costs, which packs smaller green pixel components between red and blue elements. This irregular arrangement of subpixel elements results in the Nexus One providing a less accurate display of lines on the screen.

The IPS screen technology Apple uses (from the iMac to the iPad) provides wide viewing angles, a more accurate color gamut, and fewer potential problems in production. OLED screens are plagued with manufacturing issues, production is constrained, and nobody is manufacturing the screens in large numbers."

AMOLED is a newer technology than the LCD, but that doesn't necessary mean it's better than the old technologies.

..thank you very much..
  • Reply 57 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I can't believe you're taking the time to comment on people taking the time to comment.

Because it's fun..?*

* Answers to both comments above
  • Reply 58 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Screen burn-in is also an issue with some OLED displays. I'm not sure if Samsung's Super AMOLED solves that or not. Google specifically warns of possible screen burn in the Nexus One manual so it's something to consider. Between this, outdoor viewing problems, and supply problems it seems pretty obvious why Apple would avoid OLED right now. Figure they need to produce 30-40M iPhones this year. That's way too many devices to risk to screen burn-in or supply problems. Just not worth the risk.

Agree..

In the AI article above, it's already been said:

"OLED screens are plagued with manufacturing issues, production is constrained, and nobody is manufacturing the screens in large numbers."

Palm had a real pain in the ass problem supplying the Pre for Sprint on its launch day, and even afterwards, causing a huge backlash on the hype of the Pre itself built since its first introduction at CES 2009.

Apple is indeed a cutting-tech company who always produce the best hardwares that can be found on the market, but to adopt the newest screen display technology out there for its most popular device (which also now generates the highest profit income for the company) along with its problems, is just simply ridiculous.

Like you said it: "It just not worth the risk."

Spot on..!
  • Reply 59 of 107
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnTopOfABerg View Post

Ok, so it's not the resolution that decides whether you can play 720p or not? Is that apple?

The iPad won't play 720p because it is not widescreen. While it has 720 lines, the width is insufficient when watching HD material, so fewer vertical lines are available..
  • Reply 60 of 107
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Fonts should look beautiful on that thing. Like paper.