Czech report says iPhone 4G will sport dense, 960x640 IPS display

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Maybe someday Apple will actually be sensible enough to offer people a choice of iPhone specs as they do with the iPod. Why not make a premium high end model with a larger screen using OLED? For a premium brand I can't fathom why Apple have surrendered the high end to HTC.

Costs.

Having too many versions reduces the savings due to manufacturing scale. Apple is always trying to get the most energy efficient displays.

IF OLED is NOT better than the next gen Apple screen -- then it's silly to offer it as an option. They had options on their 17" Laptops for higher quality displays -- but in that area, the specs are not as tight (requiring testing and low power) like a phone.

I think we should see the new iPhones before asking for this option. Personally, I'd rather have a USB plug for devices.
  • Reply 102 of 107
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The regular Joe doesn't care about Pandora. The regular Joe is using iTunes and it will play just fine while doing things in Facebook.

The only people complaining are the geeks who want things their way, no matter what it does to usability.

I would have to disagree. Pandora and Slacker are two of the biggest internet radio apps out there. A lot of my friends have either of the two for BlackBerry or iPhone/iPod or Android. We all have an unlimited amount of data to use, so being able to essentially have an unlimited amount of music is a big advantage. They wouldn't be as popular and available across a range of OSs if the "regular Joe" didn't care about it.

Personally speaking, the app picking music similar to the ones I tell it I like is its biggest plus. I've learned of new bands that I would have never found on my own. In this way, it makes a great supplement to the music I have on-device. Being able to preview a band's music makes me more likely to buy the music for my own collection than if I went in cold.

Especially when you can do all of this for free.
  • Reply 103 of 107
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    No Apple product has been so leaked for ages.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    But 960 / 640 = 1.5, whereas the iPad is 1024 / 768 = 1.33. That difference is illogical.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I would have to disagree. Pandora and Slacker are two of the biggest internet radio apps out there. A lot of my friends have either of the two for BlackBerry or iPhone/iPod or Android. We all have an unlimited amount of data to use, so being able to essentially have an unlimited amount of music is a big advantage. They wouldn't be as popular and available across a range of OSs if the "regular Joe" didn't care about it.

Personally speaking, the app picking music similar to the ones I tell it I like is its biggest plus. I've learned of new bands that I would have never found on my own. In this way, it makes a great supplement to the music I have on-device. Being able to preview a band's music makes me more likely to buy the music for my own collection than if I went in cold.

Especially when you can do all of this for free.

As usual, you're confusing what YOU and your geek buddies do with what the majority of people want to do. Very, very few iPhone or iPad users are going to be using Pandora. Almost none will have even heard of Slacker.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

As usual, you're confusing what YOU and your geek buddies do with what the majority of people want to do. Very, very few iPhone or iPad users are going to be using Pandora.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/te...08pandora.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...ee-radio_N.htm

As usual, you're applying your beliefs as the standard to the rest of the world. Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean that everyone else in the world will ignore it too. These links seem to indicate that I'm in the right here.

48 million users seems like very few users to me [/sarcasm]. The iPhone has sold roughly 50 million units and I know you and everyone else would have no issues calling it popular. Applying logic (I know, hard concept), you must also consider Pandora to be huge too. If you divide out the 48 million into mobile devices, I'm sure you'll find that a large chunk are actually iPhone/iPod users.

From the NYT article:

Quote:

Instead, with a successful iPhone app fueling interest, Pandora is attracting attention from investment bankers who think it could go public, the pinnacle of success for a start-up.

Pandora?s success can be credited to old-fashioned perseverance, its ability to harness intense loyalty from users and a willingness to shift directions ? from business to consumer, from subscription to free, from computer to mobile ? when its fortunes flagged.

From the USA Today:

Quote:

Christmas Day was Pandora's biggest ever, with 200,000 new sign-ups.

Yeah, Pandora does seem like a "geek-only" app to me...[/sarcasm]

Quote:

Almost none will have even heard of Slacker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacker_(music_service)

2.4 million songs and a heavy presence on MySpace, Twitter, and Facebook pretty much guarantees that many will have heard of Slacker (millions if I had to guess). Again, just because you've lived under a rock in the last few years doesn't mean that the rest of the world is in there with you.

On a personal note, I'm amused by how quick you are to take an insulting tone and post simple 1 liners when you've been backed into a wall.
  • Reply 107 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadwickboggs View Post

But 960 / 640 = 1.5, whereas the iPad is 1024 / 768 = 1.33. That difference is illogical.

And Mac displays range from 16:9 to 16:10. What is illogical about it? An aspect ratio should be ideal for the size and usage, not some static dimension across all products that one deems cool.