Security concerns prompt Google to switch from Windows to Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Adding to echosonic's post, Google's customer base mostly using Windows for their system-base consumer SW is irrelevant to Google trying to protect themselves from hackers. By your reckoning, Apple's largest piece of SW is iTunes on Windows so their employees should all be using Windows PCs for their day-to-day tasks.

My point is the developers who develop these apps

http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

Need to test on windows machines. Google apps are always bigger and better on windows than mac (if they release the mac version at all). That means a great many employees (especially developers) of google will need windows machines. This rumor does not pass the smell test.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I assumed you would be able to, but what development tools are there for doing that (i.e. without using Parallels and using Visual Studio or something like that)?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are no reasonable alternative tools to Visual Studio to create Windows applications although it could be possible in a very limited manner just to prove a point, but for all practical purposes, no you cannot. Unless you consider a Flash runtime executable software. That you can do with a Mac.

Ironically you can program Mac applications on Windows.

There is RealBasic. It is not as powerful as Visual Studio but it is a tool you can use to create Mac, Windows, and Linux software using single source code.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I'm not buying the premise of this story. Google is windows centric, not apple. They always release their products for windows quicker and better. Just not buying this rumor.

Whilst Google does develop some desktop applications the vast majority of their stuff is web based. They are not Windows centric.

If you look at the videos Google releases, often they are demoing on Macs.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

My point is the developers who develop these apps

http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

Need to test on windows machines. Google apps are always bigger than better on windows than mac (if they release the mac version at all). That means a great many employees (especially developers) of google will need windows machines. This rumor does not pass the smell test.

The article doesn't state that ALL Windows PCs will be removed. Do you think that MS employees use Windows to develop for the Mac? Of course not, but company-wide they use Windows.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There is RealBasic. It is not as powerful as Visual Studio but it is a tool you can use to create Mac, Windows, and Linux software using single source code.

Good to know. Thanks.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Most of Google's software doesn't run on desktops, it runs on servers, and those servers don't run Windows.

features in google docs appear on windows much faster than mac (some times over a year)

also chrome was out at least a year before mac. It doesn't matter which server. it matters what happens when a mac or windows client logs into the server. things happen better and quicker when a windows machine logs into use a google server app.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Thanks, FT, for hitting the "So Suck It" button.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The article doesn't state that ALL Windows PCs will be removed. Do you think that MS employees use Windows to develop for the Mac? Of course not, but company-wide they use Windows.

no but you have to admit this language is strong:

"Google employees said that the company is phasing out the use of machines running Microsoft Windows."

"Phasing out" implies that they are dumping the platform at google all together at some future date. My guess is that this is bull, my guess is that google will provide windows os systems now and in the future to key employees.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

It doesn't matter which server. it matters what happens when a mac or windows client logs into the server. things happen better and quicker when a windows machine logs into use a google server app.

It shouldn't matter whether the client is Mac or Windows as the app is html+JS running in a browser.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    While working for a major US tax software company (not that hard to figure out), they finally allowed groups to put in POs on macs, the problem is that they have a contract with IBM (lev..now) to do desktop support, they actually had to restrict departments to 50% macs do to the overwhelming number of people requesting them as well as the service that still has years on it ... haha.

Another software company I worked for in Cambridge MA allowed employees to switch from windows to OS X, the was never possible before due to the fact they are a java shop, now though 85% of the company has switched with the rest on Linux, I have heard there is not one windows machine left (they use VM ware for any windows apps the need now).
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:

I'm not buying the premise of this story. Google is windows centric, not apple. They always release their products for windows quicker and better. Just not buying this rumor.

Thats most likely because Windows has about 85% of the OS market share!
  • Reply 32 of 84
    plerdplerd Posts: 1member
    This is nearly anonymous and entirely anecdotal, so, for whatever it might be worth, a friend of mine is in a small but high-profile group at Google, and he's claimed they're pretty Mac-centric - all his engineers were issued a 15" MBP as their desktop/productivity machine and a linux box as their dev machine (for compiling & running code, not for actually writing it, which they do on the Macs).
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

It shouldn't matter whether the client is Mac or Windows as the app is html+JS running in a browser.

I agree it shouldn't, however the facts are that the features at least in the past, were flying out much quicker when i log in using the VM side of my machine (windows 7 and IE) compared to Mac OSX and safari.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Google is a very big and prestigious company, soon the entire world will be running on only Macs and iPhones.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

no but you have to admit this language is strong:

"Google employees said that the company is phasing out the use of machines running Microsoft Windows."

"Phasing out" implies that they are dumping the platform at google all together at some future date. My guess is that this is bull, my guess is that google will provide windows os systems now and in the future to key employees.

The implication is very direct: they are phasing out Windows. For you to imply that this means EVERY copy of Windows, including those needed by developers is silly. For MS or Apple to say are a Windows or Mac only company, respectively, doesn't mean they don't also use the other's SW for testing purposes and other things.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    They seem to be replacing people's desktop work machines, what about all the custom servers that run the search and ad engines, I doubt that run windows, but highly doubt they will be replacing then with xservers.

Not sure why anyone would willing use a Google OS on any device and that includes phones, their entire business model is based on ad views, they are trying to get more ad placement in front of people and collect user preferences and the such and all you are doing is allowing them to spy on you and for what some few okay software.

I am not sure about you but I am extremely tried of these silly ads that the cable companies are now placing at the bottom of tv shows, that thing I want is ads showing up in the background of my computer.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Can you guys read?

Google is NOT switching everyone to Macs running OSX. They have always had an option of which OS to use, and they are now dropping the Windows option. Employees now will have the choice of OSX, LINUX, or ChromeOS. I would also bet Windows developers will haver permission to run Windowes machines. No half qualified CIO is stupid enough to deny that when there is a legitimate case that outweighs the risks. I would not count on OSX becoming the dominant platform in Google. I am sure Chrome and Android will have a good chunk of the internal marketshare, if for no other reason, it would be a politicaaly smart choice for emplyees to make.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually the FT article said this:

The move created mild discontent among some Google employees, appreciative of the choice in operating systems granted to them - an unusual feature in large companies. But many employees were relieved they could still use Macs and Linux. ?It would have made more people upset if they banned Macs rather than Windows,? he added.

AI is the Fox News equivalent of technology news
  • Reply 39 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoodlyDoo View Post

Google is a very big and prestigious company, soon the entire world will be running on only Macs and iPhones.

Then what?
  • Reply 40 of 84
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

If Google is so worried about security then it should implement its own proprietary software. Wouldn't Google implement its own Chrome OS in beta form for its own company?

Really?!?! You are suggesting that Google should base the day to day operations of it's empire on an OS that isn't even out of beta yet?

Quote:

Even if it weren't totally ready for the public it could let its employees have some basic functionality with the Chrome OS.

If it isn't ready for 'the public' then it isn't ready to run a billon dollar corporation with.

Quote:

What does this say about Chrome OS if it is true? It says Chrome OS can't do regular business computing.

No it doesn't say anything like that... ALL it says is Chrome is still in BETA and anyone moving forward the idea that a company can be effectively run using a BETA OS is someone looking to get fired. HECK... Many large corporations wait YEARS after Microsoft release a new OS before they even THINK about migrating to it. In fact Microsoft usually has to put a gun to their head before they make an OS migration. Ever wonder WHY MS makes this grand announcements about them OFFICIALLY dropping support for some OLD version of Windows? Its to FORCE companies to UPGRADE to SOMETHING. While many companies IT groups don't RUSH to upgrade their OS they also don't want to be the people responsible for 'some catastrophic problem' that MS will NOT issue a fix for due to the fact that MS dropped support for that OS 6 months ago so this game of 'upgrade when we HAVE to' rolls on..

Quote:

What specialized tasks do the Google business people do that requires OS X that can't be done with Chrome OS? I'm curious.

Nothing that comes to mind... and ONCE Chrome is a stable and fully field tested OS then Google will likely discuss migration plans THEN. Unfortunately, there LOTS of months before that will happen and short of closing up shop Google MUST have a stable environment to run their business on.

Unlike us geeks and home users... Businesses can't say... Well you know... if we wait 10 months we can probably get all of this stuff cheaper AND Chrome might be ready too! When a business NEEDS computers they have to buy them... no waiting till black friday sales or newegg discount codes.. When they need em they just go out and buy them.. in Googles case A LOT of them.

Also remember unlike us geeks who think of buying a computer as a investment Google just like every other big corporation knows they are nothing more than tools... The tool breaks and the repair is HALF (or less) than the cost of a new tool they fix them... The cost is more than half the cost they throw the sucker out and get a new one.