Security concerns prompt Google to switch from Windows to Mac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Can you guys read?

Google is NOT switching everyone to Macs running OSX. They have always had an option of which OS to use, and they are now dropping the Windows option. Employees now will have the choice of OSX, LINUX, or ChromeOS. I would also bet Windows developers will haver permission to run Windowes machines. No half qualified CIO is stupid enough to deny that when there is a legitimate case that outweighs the risks. I would not count on OSX becoming the dominant platform in Google. I am sure Chrome and Android will have a good chunk of the internal marketshare, if for no other reason, it would be a politicaaly smart choice for emplyees to make.

Chrome and Android are entirely unsuitable for development work. Yes, there will be people running Chrome and Android for testing (just like for Windows) but developers aren't going to be sitting there at the Googleplex coding away on Chrome or Android. They'll be using Linux or Mac OS for development work. Think about it. Would you use an iPad (being generous to Android) or a web browser (Chrome) as your primary coding environment? I certainly would not.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The implication is very direct: they are phasing out Windows. For you to imply that this means EVERY copy of Windows, including those needed by developers is silly. For MS or Apple to say are a Windows or Mac only company, respectively, doesn't mean they don't also use the other's SW for testing purposes and other things.

Phasing out means phasing out.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

The article doesn't state that ALL Windows PCs will be removed. Do you think that MS employees use Windows to develop for the Mac? Of course not, but company-wide they use Windows.

Yeah there's plenty of departments that could run Mac. Everyone from accounting to graphic design could use a mac (and probably would prefer it.)

You've got one of the most popular IT companies in the world using one of the most popular operating systems in the world. It's going to get attacked. It's actually a good security measure to diversify the machines in a company. If a virus got in that affected Windows, and everyone was on a Windows machine, it could spread. If only some are on a Windows machine, the damage is minimized.

In the end though, the most successful attacks are socially engineered, meaning it's the people at the company that pose the biggest threat. If you called everyone in a company directory and said you were from IT and needed their login credentials, chances are high someone who doesn't know better will give it to you. No software can prevent this.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

My point is the developers who develop these apps

http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

Need to test on windows machines. Google apps are always bigger and better on windows than mac (if they release the mac version at all). That means a great many employees (especially developers) of google will need windows machines. This rumor does not pass the smell test.

ok, you clarified "rumor" and I appreciate that. Can you now clarify "bigger and better?"

/Because I have a number of apps like Sketchup and such on both my PC and mac, and wherever possible, I use the mac versions, because they run smoother and look sharper.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Phasing out means phasing out.

Yes, it does, but you failed to comprehend what they are phasing out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

In the end though, the most successful attacks are socially engineered, meaning it's the people at the company that pose the biggest threat. If you called everyone in a company directory and said you were from IT and needed their login credentials, chances are high someone who doesn't know better will give it to you. No software can prevent this.

Yeah, I don't see the typical company being able to move their employees to Linux and still expect them to be adequately secured. At this point, Google seems to be in an unique position.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

ok, you clarified "rumor" and I appreciate that. Can you now clarify "bigger and better?"

/Because I have a number of apps like Sketchup and such on both my PC and mac, and wherever possible, I use the mac versions, because they run smoother and look sharper.

Sketchup runs wonderfully on my iMac, not so good on my netbook.

Silly PC
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Begin with chrome.

See here for version history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

Windows 2008 ... mac 2010.

Now google docs? I remember loging into google all they time with my mac and note saying not compatible with mac safari yet. Now I agree it is, but it was out for windows in 2005. I believe (not sure) that it started working on the mac in early 2009.

Google earth, a few years ago i needed to make a video of a google earth segment. I had to do this on windows google earth because feature was not available on mac. I really can go on.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Thanks, FT, for hitting the "So Suck It" button.

Now that made me laugh!
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:

Yes, it does, but you failed to comprehend what they are phasing out.

Article states:

"New hires at Google are given the choice of running a Mac, or a system running Linux."

What am i not comprehending?
  • Reply 50 of 84
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Article states:

"New hires at Google are given the choice of running a Mac, or a system running Linux."

What am i not comprehending?

If you think that a software developer who is responsible for developing software and making sure it runs on Windows wouldn't be assigned a Windows box as well (or at least a dual booted partition/bootcamp/parallels) then you are sorely mistaken. Phasing out of the general company, getting rid of it where possible. If you need to make sure your software is working on Windows for dev and testing purposes, then that is part where it can't and won't get phased out. I'm not sure what's so difficult about this concept.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Girls, girls. I am sorry to interrupt your little tea party. Please be respectful of each other. Goog is probably concerned SOMEWHAT with Windows appearances. But does every employee ensure Windows compatibility, no. Most likely that has nothing to do with >90% of the headcount's tasking. Sure, a few people will need to run Windows... arguably. Or, it could be replicated in some other way. The main point is, major enterprise may start to break away from Windows. Most companies lack the confidence (and CIO competence) to strike out on their own launching a Mac centric (or even Ubuntu centric) workstation template. But, Google does have that confidence and they have reasons to make a point of doing it.

The fact that there will be some Windows tester units (most likely off-grid and used for testing alone) is not really here nor there. Goog is moving their business off Windows. That, and Apple, makes two.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

If you think that a software developer who is responsible for developing software and making sure it runs on Windows wouldn't be assigned a Windows box as well (or at least a dual booted partition/bootcamp/parallels) then you are sorely mistaken. Phasing out of the general company, getting rid of it where possible. If you need to make sure your software is working on Windows for dev and testing purposes, then that is part where it can't and won't get phased out. I'm not sure what's so difficult about this concept.

Right. The China attack was done through email. Everyone would be wise not to use Windows for email. Google is probably trying to move the general purpose office computing off the Windows platform.

No one familiar with programming would assume that Ph.D. computer scientist is stupid enough to click on a suspicious email link. Of course they can have whatever computer they need to get their assignments done. People are taking this 'phase out' thing to literally.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The article does not state that they are phasing out of the general company and getting rid of it where possible. The article states they are phasing out the operating system. it also states new employees just hired do not have the option of choosing windows operating systems. I'm telling you that i think that is bull.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Better late than never with this story I guess.

As I read this on every other blog in the universe yesterday I couldn't help wondering if Google might make developing and supporting the Windows platform take a back seat now. I'd love to see PC marginalization web sites start up soon.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

The fact that there will be some Windows tester units (most likely off-grid and used for testing alone) is not really here nor there. Goog is moving their business off Windows. That, and Apple, makes two.

This may be true in the future, but it has not been true up to 2010.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right. The China attack was done through email. Everyone would be wise not to use Windows for email. Google is probably trying to move the general purpose office computing off the Windows platform.

No one familiar with programming would assume that Ph.D. computer scientist is stupid enough to click on a suspicious email link. Of course they can have whatever computer they need to get their assignments done. People are taking this 'phase out' thing to literally.

I take the 'phase out thing' as another major sign of the continuing demise of Windows as an OS and Microsoft as a whole.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Then what?

Then everyone becomes an Apple fanboy
  • Reply 58 of 84
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Isn't a copy of Windows running in Parallels pretty much protected by OSX? Or is it?
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Isn't a copy of Windows running in Parallels pretty much protected by OSX? Or is it?

no because you are actually running windows when you are running parallels. You have to purchase a version of windows to use parallels.

Usually you have the windows vm out on a partitian to reduce the risks of problems, but if you open up the mac harddrive from windows vm, nasty things can happen.

I run virus software on my parallels windows partitian.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Then everyone becomes an Apple fanboy

you just said the secret word of the day!