Apple's supply of Mac minis dwindle ahead of new models

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Do you even know how anemic the mobile i3 is? That it's claim to fame is the anemic Intel "HD Graphics" IGP? What does that even buy you except pathetic 3D performance? What battery savings are you hoping to have (like the 15+ inch MBP) for a computer that doesn't run off a battery?

Well, i5 then. My point being that a Core 2 Duo and an integrated graphics chip for a price the MM comes at is just a joke on the consumers intelligence.
  • Reply 82 of 84
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Okay everyone, as usual, use chat room "appleinsider" (no caps)... In iChat, click File, Go To Chat Room... enter "appleinsider" (no quotes). Let's get a nice crowd going during the event.
  • Reply 83 of 84
    bgeribgeri Posts: 1member
    Hi everyone,

are there any news/rumours around the mini upgrade? I was scanning the news from today, but did not find any hints...
  • Reply 84 of 84
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That is one that values the contributions of a modern GPU to ones computing experience.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Well, i5 then. My point being that a Core 2 Duo and an integrated graphics chip for a price the MM comes at is just a joke on the consumers intelligence.

Don't get me wrong I would rather see a new I series processor in the iMac coupled to a improved GPU. I believe Apple could do this if they wanted. However that doesn't mean a Core 2 based Mini would be a bad value, the processor is just one factor in determining a PCs value. The fact remains that the NVidia GPUs that Apple uses are still light years ahead of the stuff Intel sells.

By the way the reason to want an I series in the Mini is to get hardware support for more threads. The reality is for single threaded apps the Arrandale series isn't all that much faster for a broad spectrum of apps. So Apple would have to put a I series chip in the Mini that supports 4 or more threads to make the upgrade worthwhile.

On top of all of this, the Engineering effort required to go to Arrandale may be a waste of time when both Intel and AMD will have far better processors for the Mini available. It may make more sense to simple keep the current design until Fussion or Intels counter part hits the market. After all if you can hold off six months before going an entirely new architecture wouldn't you?

These new processors, or APUs if you are AMD, should provide for a significant refactoring of the Mini. For one the chips will free up space in the Mini. That means the potential for a lot more RAM or other hardware. Since the chips would require an entire mechanical and electrical rework of the Mini, stretching the current model is smart for Apple.

Dave