Microsoft CEO hopes to reenter phone market, disputes PC shift

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What does the world look like when you're a pinhead?

a dancing angel...
  • Reply 22 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I have to admit, having watched the video, there is nothing he said there that wasn't accurate and relatively insightful.

I still think he's a dick though!

What he said was accurate from the point of view of Microsoft, but it wasn't particularly insightful.
  • Reply 23 of 93
    How is iPad slow in taking notes???? May be he was slow in typing or in thinking.....
  • Reply 24 of 93
    Actually I think this really points to the crux of why Apple has been successful where Microsoft has not. Ballmer is all caught up in the semantics of things, of course an ipad is a computer, of course an iphone is a computer. Steve's point was that thing sitting on your desk is becoming less and less relevant every day. Plus Ballmer is focused on the tool, vs what the tool can accomplish. He sees tablet form factor PC's vs devices that solve some set of problems, which is why while Microsoft has been slogging away at tablets for years, they haven't done squat in that market.

Not only does Microsoft have no taste, they have no vision. Which pretty much explains why they've missed the boat on two of the biggest paradigm shifts in technology, the internet and mobile computing. Apple might not be the first to arrive at the ball, but they seem to find a way to become the belle. Microsoft is that rich girl fuming in the corner because they bought all the fashionable clothes and had all the right finishing classes but all the guys are still oogling the girl who is simply genuinely fun to be around and believes in details vs qty.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ballmer can't lead MS.

It is a company ran by a bunch of rich boys making sure they don't upset the apple cart and hurt their fortunes.

Haha. I see what you did there.

I am forced to work on MSFT products all day. At least once each day I say out loud, "if this was a mac, I'd be done by now."

My house is full of Apple products I love and use everyday. AppleTV, couple of iMacs, iPhone, iPods, all hung together on a Airport. I have yet to find anything MSFT makes that I'd buy or use by choice. Jobs seems to want to sell to me. Ballmer seems to want to sell to my boss. Fairly, my boss has more money, but there are many things my boss does that I just don't understand.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I have to admit, having watched the video, there is nothing he said there that wasn't accurate and relatively insightful.

I still think he's a dick though!

It's a shame his first name isn't Richard. Imagine the additional richness of jokes revolving around that if it were true.

The sad fact is, the only thing this corporate clown has in common with Jobs is that they both share the same first name.

One brings joy to the masses; the other brings massive grief to anyone looking for joy.
  • Reply 27 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Bombastic is the word I'd use to describe this guy. 'Bombastic Ballmer' it has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' don't you think?
  • Reply 28 of 93
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Mr. Ballmer, I like your strategy. I like it a lot!
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Did he really use "the excellence in execution", a phrase from pro wrestling, do describe what Microsoft is doing? Either he doesn't know wrestling is fake, or he does know, and is saying that what Microsoft is doing is also fake...
  • Reply 30 of 93
    sippincidersippincider Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

(The CEO) admitted having fallen behind in the (...) business, but expressed a hope of reentering the market with its upcoming products.

Sounds like pre-bankruptcy GM.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    May Steve Ballmer continue to run Microsoft as it continues its downward slide. He's the perfect captain for a clueless ship of fools. :
  • Reply 32 of 93
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Apple trying to get their act together? Listen to Ballmer blathering on about "their global market share being close to 40% and their US market share being close to 0" @ 4:13. Not getting out the park in Europe and emerging markets? What world is he living in?

He was talking about Nokia. Let's not let that get in the way of dissing Ballmer though.

Him lecturing Google on having two operating systems when they have Windows 7, Phone Series, CE Embedded and "Classic" is a bit rich.
  • Reply 33 of 93
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Ballmer essentially said nothing.

However, I did try to use an iPad to take notes in a meeting, and it didn't work. I should have used my Bluetooth keyboard. (I can, however, type long emails on the iPad, probably because I only have to pay attention to my own thoughts.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siriusvector View Post

How is iPad slow in taking notes???? May be he was slow in typing or in thinking.....

I'm a big Apple/iPad fan...but I read a review and the author said typing on the iPad is like typing with frost bite! I went to Best Buy to try out the iPad and I couldn't get that thought out of my head....it really did feel like typing with frost bite!

Still going to get one though!

Best.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    Quote:

Ballmer also suggested that he attempted to use an iPad for taking notes at a meeting and implied that it was too slow to use.

Ballmer NO LIKE pad - Ballmer make CONFUSED by pad!!! It shiny pretty thing! Me not know how do shiny pretty thing work... Me SMASH! ME SMASH it!!!!!

Quote:

Ballmer hammered home his PC centric views by saying, "to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Ballmer LIKE hammer -- HAMMER go BOOM BOOM! Ballmer know how do hammer work -- BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Ballmer SMASH pad with HAMMER!

(And then, he blesses us with a quote having the significance of dirt on sand: )

Quote:

"The excellence in execution, I think, is a big part of innovation," Ballmer said.

Ballmer exe-... exec-.... Me no like BIG word! Me no like phone people! Me SMASH phone people! Me get NEW phone people!!!

(Keep those lips a-flappin', oh great Dancin'-Sweatin'-Screamin' Howler-Monkey Boy!)
  • Reply 36 of 93
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siriusvector View Post

He's just taking a swipe at Apple that has no basis in reality. If it were slow it wouldn't be selling as fast as it is. Word would have spread quickly that it is slow and people wouldn't put up with it.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    Ballmer really has not idea of where the market seems to be heading. The market is speaking for itself, people want easy-to-use UI's and portability. Whether it's from Google or Apple, people will buy tablet's because they are simple and effective at doing what they do best. In addition, give it 5 years for the hardware side to catch up and video editing and other "PC" type actions will be available on a multi-touch tablet.

Jobs understands the potential of the market (and since he is heading a company that has sold 2 million tablets) and understands where the market wants to go. He is not saying PC's won't be in existence, but they will serve a specific niche and purpose. Hence, why people on Engadget disagree. Engadget has many advanced PC users, gamers, etc. Jobs said it himself, 'PC users will be uneasy with this transition' but it's just a matter of years before we see the market change.

It's surprising to see how blind Ballmer is, it's saddening at times. Vic Gundotra and Steve Jobs see the potential in the mobile market and are definitely doing everything they can to get an early start, while Microsoft is still betting all of it's money on the PC market. Please Microsoft, get your head out of your ass. Not just for yourselves, but for consumers, so that we can hopefully have some decent mobile Microsoft products in the future.
  • Reply 38 of 93
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Asked if he thought Apple's iPad was a PC, Ballmer answered "Of course it is. It's a different form factor of PC."

Yes and no. The iPad is a computer (as is the iPhone and iPod touch) in the sense you can install and run new applications. However, from a user experience point of view it is vastly simpler and easier to use than a traditional computer. The complexities such as file management are hidden from the user. It isn't just the form factor of the hardware and lack of keyboards that make these devices different, it is the software. Apple were smart using the iPhoneOS and not a desktop OS for these devices. MS is going to fail by trying to shove Windows 7 on tablets.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

MS is going to fail by trying to shove Windows 7 on tablets.

Or, more like, some awful watered-down version of it that will satisfy nobody. It'll be big on pain and small on functionality.

At work, I use handhelds with Windows Mobile -- working with these things is like pulling teeth! And we just upgraded to the "latest version" (6.5.5, I think). As for whatever these upgrades are supposed to accomplish, they certainly don't improve the experience and/or performance!!!
  • Reply 40 of 93
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Quote:

Ballmer said, "There may be a reason they call them Mack trucks. But Windows machines are not going be trucks," he insisted.

So that's where Eric Cantona is now, speechwriting for Ballmer.

Quote:

Asked if he thought Apple's iPad was a PC, Ballmer answered "Of course it is.

Ballmer also suggested that he attempted to use an iPad for taking notes at a meeting and implied that it was too slow to use.

Ballmer hammered home his PC centric views by saying, "to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Shh, children, wise people are talking.

Quote:

"The excellence in execution, I think, is a big part of innovation," Ballmer said.

Innovation is also a big part of innovation, not just grinding away with the marketing of whatever stuff is left on the workbench when the deadline is up.