Microsoft CEO hopes to reenter phone market, disputes PC shift

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Sometimes I feel that watching Microsoft is like riding a ballistic missile on a high angle shot. It was so fun on the way up that it caused a whoopee.

Now the Missile is at the apex and lack of inertia plus the weightlessness (lack of direction) feels kinda weird. Suddenly the nose has tipped over and is facing down but it still does not feel that bad just that something might be wrong.

The trip down is going to cause a shower sparks and end very badly
  • Reply 62 of 93
    the-stevethe-steve Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

]Sometimes I feel that watching Microsoft is like riding a ballistic missile on a high angle shot.

The trip down is going to cause a shower sparks and end very badly

OK so everyone seems to think that MS is going down. So if true, the big question is who will step in to take its place as the dominant OEM OS vendor? Steve "control freak" Jobs will never license, and at the prices it charges Apple is never going to take over the world with its hardware. So Chrome OS could have a real chance to grab market share.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    APPL should be happy to have him. When he retires, SELL!
  • Reply 64 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Asked if he thought Apple's iPad was a PC, Ballmer answered "Of course it is. It's a different form factor of PC." Ballmer also suggested that he attempted to use an iPad for taking notes at a meeting and implied that it was too slow to use.

At least its faster than Windows!!
  • Reply 65 of 93
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member
    There's one side of Mr B which stands out and that is he tends to ridicule what he really doesn't understand. He's holding it back a little in public - like in this video - but it's gotta be a HUGE problem internally at M$ where nothing holds him back, where he's the emperor. I can picture him with his puppet-boys overseeing a presentation of a prototype or a concept he can't grasp, makin faces and ridiculing, maybe turning the thing - if an object - awkwardly in his hands mockin it etc and thus belittling people working with a product/idea. This creates a negative climate and hampers futuristic bold ideas. I can't imagine this happening inside of Apple where critic certainly could be harsh at times but surely always constructive and to the point. SJ has this admirable quality of nailin the essential problem, of to the point analysis. Something mr B lacks as shown not just in this video but everywhere.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Ballmer NO LIKE pad - Ballmer make CONFUSED by pad!!! It shiny pretty thing! Me not know how do shiny pretty thing work... Me SMASH! ME SMASH it!!!!!

Ballmer LIKE hammer -- HAMMER go BOOM BOOM! Ballmer know how do hammer work -- BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Ballmer SMASH pad with HAMMER!

(And then, he blesses us with a quote having the significance of dirt on sand: )

Ballmer exe-... exec-.... Me no like BIG word! Me no like phone people! Me SMASH phone people! Me get NEW phone people!!!

(Keep those lips a-flappin', oh great Dancin'-Sweatin'-Screamin' Howler-Monkey Boy!)

Funny stuff! -- please give us more Ballmer-speak every time he makes a statement.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    A tech savvy CEO to jumpstart the company before it's too late.

If Balmer's answer to Walt Mosberg's Chrome/Android question does not get him fired, nothing will. The share holders will get screwed.

Here is funny clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w1jg...layer_embedded

ciao
  • Reply 68 of 93
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siriusvector View Post

How is iPad slow in taking notes???? May be he was slow in typing or in thinking.....

That's one of the few correct things that he said. The iPad is excellent but the GUI/form-factor are non-optimal for some things, like typing. The fact that the iPad is still compelling shows how great it is for other reasons. It is great despite being relatively poor for text entry.

This post was typed on an iPad. It took me four or five times as long than it would have on a traditional computer. On the other hand, I'm still laying in bed.

But yeah, my opinion of Ballmer gets worse every time I see him speak. He'd be better off letting someone else do the public relations.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Of course, individuals wouldn't be investing in Microsoft. It'd be clueless stock analysts, who (surprise) also manage our retirement funds Fortunately, my family got rid of paying our stock manager $2000 a month for doing nothing but losing money (and actually making a profit for himself using our funds) and we've been buying Apple stock ever since. Happy ending

Don't lose sight of diversification. A high-flying stock like Apple can go down 30% in a day.

If you are overweighted in any single stock, especially one that has gone way up, way fast, you are taking huge risks. Check your mutual funds, They too might have significant Apple stock in them.

If you want to set aside a certain portion for single stocks, that's fine. But unless you have at least 5 or from different sectors, your single stocks can add huge volitility.

Casual investors are often best off with a variety of mutual funds. That way they can diversify easily over various sectors. Too much money in tech is risky.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

"If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail."

Which is exactly MS's *problem* - they believe the world is made of PCs and Word docs.

Actually, you are just as wrong as Ballmer:

He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail.

--Abraham Maslow

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

--Abraham Maslow

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems begin to resemble nails.

--Abraham Maslow
  • Reply 71 of 93
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Embarrassing
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Actually, you are just as wrong as Ballmer:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

--Abraham Maslow

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems begin to resemble nails.

--Abraham Maslow

Actually, what jpellino wrote SAID exactly the same thing as these two quotes, only with a slight difference in wording. (It may not have been an exact quote, but the meaning was equal.) So he definitely was NOT was wrong as Ballmer!

Ballmer said "everything looks like a nail" -- problem or not, he's a-gonna take a hammer to it!

(We may as well cut off his hands and attach hammers - just make sure they're rubber and not metal... Then we can point him in the direction of Gojira or Gamera and film the "entertainment." )
  • Reply 73 of 93
    "Windows machines will not be trucks,"

No, they will be Trabants.
  • Reply 74 of 93
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    "Ballmer hammered home his PC centric views by saying, "to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.""

So Ballmer is saying that everyone should use what Microsoft offers no matter what they need ... cause MS has the hammer...??

but Jobs is saying "the right tool for the right job". If you need a hammer, fine.. but what about a screw, or a wall hook, a paint brush, a spray gun.

Just a thought here but I just do not see Microsoft going anywhere as a company from here on. Their direction from the top is really flawed.

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 75 of 93
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    "Mossberg asked Ballmer what he meant when using the phrase "we learned the value of excellent execution," to which Ballmer replied, "we missed a whole cycle."

----- Which means that everything he says is just CEO speak. It really means nothing. If you screw up, just say you screwed up. Hiding your error with great words means that you think someone else is the cause of your screw up and so you are going to keep on doing the same thing.

"And I think i've been quite public about the fact that I chose to make a set of leadership changes in the team of people building and executing on our Windows Phone software."

So all that stuff from the leaving VPs was just so much Microsoft BS???? And since Ballmer was the boss of these guys and he was not able to keep them on track doing their jobs.... not that Ballmer is leading the departments and has ABSOLUTELY NO skill in technology... things should get better???

Chairs will fly,,,,, I am telling you....... chairs will fly.!! :-)

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 76 of 93
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ballmer can't lead MS.

It is a company ran by a bunch of rich boys making sure they don't upset the apple cart and hurt their fortunes.

This is exactly it, these people are trying to maintain a money stream and do not understand risk, so much of what they do is to ensure wall street stays happen and the money keeps coming in. It has nothing to do with creating product people want.

As Jobs put it as long as apple continue to make great product that people want to buy apple will be successful and as soon as they do not the consumer will tell them by not buying anymore.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Actually, what jpellino wrote SAID exactly the same thing as these two quotes, only with a slight difference in wording. (It may not have been an exact quote, but the meaning was equal.) So he definitely was NOT was wrong as Ballmer!

Ballmer said "everything looks like a nail" -- problem or not, he's a-gonna take a hammer to it!

(We may as well cut off his hands and attach hammers - just make sure they're rubber and not metal... Then we can point him in the direction of Gojira or Gamera and film the "entertainment." )

But you cut out the quote that SAID the same thing as Ballmer:

He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail.

--Abraham Maslow

Both Ballmer and the OP got the wording wrong.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

but Jobs is saying "the right tool for the right job". If you need a hammer, fine.. but what about a screw, or a wall hook, a paint brush, a spray gun.

en

How many Mac owners even know the difference? Isn't that the whole point of owning an Apple product? That you never need to know much of anything to use it? Tools in the hands of a typical iPad owner? Please!

I own several different hammers. A tack hammer, a 16 ounce carpenter's hammer, a sledge, two different sized ball peens, probably others. I am a PC.
  • Reply 79 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

It is a company ran by a bunch of rich boys making sure they don't upset the apple cart and hurt their fortunes.

But is Steve Jobs not a rich man? How about the Senior VPs (or whatever they call them) at Apple? Are they not rich too?

Would those guys upset the apple cart and hurt Apple's stock price?

What the heck kind of a distinction are you trying to make here? All big multinational corporations are run in the manner you describe, by the people you describe, Apple included.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This is exactly it, these people are trying to maintain a money stream and do not understand risk, so much of what they do is to ensure wall street stays happen and the money keeps coming in. It has nothing to do with creating product people want.

As Jobs put it as long as apple continue to make great product that people want to buy apple will be successful and as soon as they do not the consumer will tell them by not buying anymore.

In the desktop world, Mac sales are a rounding error. Are people telling Steve something?

And I think that multi-millionaire executives at most publicly traded companies understand risk quite well. If not, how would they get promoted? Does Apple have some sort of exclusive access to people who understand risk?

And if they do not create a product that people want, how do they maintain the money stream? WTF?

I think that the points made are wrong.