Purported photos of Apple's multitouch 'Magic Trackpad' leaked

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

This is nice and all... Handy, even... but it looks like it's constructed with no physical click mechanism... which means the only option is touch-to-click. A pure touch trackpad? I don't like it. Touch-to-click generates too many errors for me. I hope it's mechanical or pressure sensitive for clicking.

If it's literally a free-standing implementation of the touch-pad from the Air/MBP, I'm all over this. I've been hoping for one of these for some time now (well, since I got my late '08 MBP anyway). I think it'll have some kind of clicking mechanism because touch-to-click wouldn't be enough to serve the clicking purpose. I agree with you though, no matter how used to touch-to-click I am, I still get errors too.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    number9number9 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post

Fake. Look at the second image: this would never be Apple design. DIfferent parts even look different. Not possible in the era of Apple unibody design.

What in the world are you talking about? It looks exactly like the wireless keyboard. The only thing I'd interpret as "different parts even look different" (and that's a loose interpretation) in the second picture is that you're seeing the top glass layer of the touch surface on top of the aluminum base.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    number9number9 Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If it's literally a free-standing implementation of the touch-pad from the Air/MBP, I'm all over this. I've been hoping for one of these for some time now (well, since I got my late '08 MBP anyway). I think it'll have some kind of clicking mechanism because touch-to-click wouldn't be enough to serve the clicking purpose. I agree with you though, no matter how used to touch-to-click I am, I still get errors too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I've been waiting for this product for years. The question is will Apple position it as the default for new iMac purchases (like the number pad free keyboard was to maintain uniformity for MacBook users who also owned a desktop)?

I think they will offer it as a configurable option when ordering from Apple. Wireless or wired keyboard, Magic mouse, wire mouse, or magic trackpad. Maybe it will be positioned with updated Mac Pros as for graphic design use?
  • Reply 44 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Am I the only one feeling sorry for Steve here? It's like when he had to introduce the unibody MacBooks and everybody knew about them already. The guy likes to make a show out of these keynotes, but with all those leaks, there isn't much to work with.

I love rumours & speculation, however the leaks are taking the fun out of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Looks interesting! I just wish some of these secret products did not slip out right before Steve Job's announcements. I like the "surprise factor."

I totally disagree with the two of you. I'm so over the months (years...) of speculation, rumor, fanboi hype, etc, only to be ultimately disappointed because the product never lives up to what the expectations had become with the build-up.

Before someone says "uh, don't read the rumor sites if you don't like them," it's not so easy to avoid all the rumors, since they're so often mixed in with the real news and reviews.

I'll tune in to the keynote live blogs today like a good little Machead, but only so I'll know if I should stop by Sprint for that EVO 4G I've been waiting for, or to see if Apple's actually managed to keep some surprise iPhone feature that actually makes it the top phone on the market again secret long enough for Steve to be the one to announce it.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I've been waiting for this product for years. The question is will Apple position it as the default for new iMac purchases (like the number pad free keyboard was to maintain uniformity for MacBook users who also owned a desktop)?

My guess is that it will be an option. I'll probably buy one since I keep wishing my MM worked like a trackpad.

I'm not sure the number pad free keyboard is the size it is to, "maintain uniformity for MacBook users who also owned a desktop." The size actually has much better ergonomics than a "full-size" keyboard: you don't have to stretch your arm out so far to the side to reach the mouse. Also, you can keep it centered in a line between you and the screen, so it's more pleasing in that way, too. Besides, unless you're an accountant, who needs a number pad?
  • Reply 46 of 101
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

... Before someone says "uh, don't read the rumor sites if you don't like them," it's not so easy to avoid all the rumors, since they're so often mixed in with the real news and reviews. ...

Someone already said that in post #19.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

After the iPad keyboard, not a chance. The keyboard needs too much work. The biggest issue I have is if you don't hit the keyboard with the fleshy part of your finger, there's no response. Too slow as well. For an iPhone it's great, for the iPad, marginal at best, for my main Mac, not a chance.

You misunderstood the guy. He meant that it could be used in conjunction with the physical iPad keyboard and give you multi-touch input in lieu of touching the iPad screen.
  • Reply 48 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Are there any utilities out there to make a Touch or iPhone a trackpad? That would seem like a very useful utility - add in some way for apps to put buttons on the display and I think you'd have something pretty spiffy. If Apple wanted to get cute, they could make a library to do it at the OS level.

I've always been a trackball person, but multi-finger gestures are pretty nice. I'd be willing to give a desk based trackpad a try to see how the ergonomics work compared to a trackball.

- Jasen.

Yes, there are several, actually. Have been for at least a year. One of the reasons I kept my two original iPhone EDGE models after upgrading to a 3G and 3G[s] were to use them as air remotes for the Mac Mini home theater. Check out the following apps for the iPhone:

Touchpad

iTap

Air Mouse.

There are probably others as well.
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I guess if it's real, I'd like to hear their use case. I always figured that the trackpad idea was the best that could be done with the constraints of a notebook computer. But once you can have a detached device, it seems that a more conventional mouse is a lot more efficient. Magic Mouse seems to offer the best of both worlds, the control of a regular mouse with multitouch gestures of Apple's trackpad.

I've got a Magic Mouse, and it remains virtually unused in my drawer because it's not a great mouse, and it's no MacBook Pro trackpad. The use case is to use it as a mouse replacement, just like you do on your laptop. The multitouch trackpad is, to me, much more efficient, and much easier on the wrists than pushing a mouse around the real desktop.

This is definitely one of those things that boils down to personal preference, of course.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

too slow

I think this had more to do with him having this news almost 8 months ago -- not that he was the first to post a comment today. Just not Daring Fireball style.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Someone already said that in post #19.

Yes, I meant in response to me directly.

That wasn't my real point anyways. I don't think the hype machine and secrecy works to Apple's benefit any more. Or maybe it does after all. I've been waiting to get the EVO for a couple of months, but did hold off to see if Apple's got a real surprise up there sleeves, but it's still mostly just annoying in the long run.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I guess if it's real, I'd like to hear their use case. I always figured that the trackpad idea was the best that could be done with the constraints of a notebook computer. But once you can have a detached device, it seems that a more conventional mouse is a lot more efficient. Magic Mouse seems to offer the best of both worlds, the control of a regular mouse with multitouch gestures of Apple's trackpad.

I was hoping to love the Magic Mouse. I ended up taking it back because my hand would start to hurt after 8 hours of editing. The low profile was almost too low compared to the Mighty Mouse...just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 53 of 101
    Its great when Apple have an event, the rumours and excitement around the world is fantastic. Lets face it, we are all lovers of Apple products, they are the best and make what we do at work, home and play more fun. They interact with the way we work, and best of all they "just work"

I am sure that this product (if its real) will have great functionality and be well researched and investigated by Apple. As mentioned above, we will just have to wait just a few more hours to see what is going on.

Cant wait, should be a good Keynote whatever, Although I think its all about Iphone and Ipad. Might see the new Apple TV, which would be nice.
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I think this had more to do with him having this news almost 8 months ago -- not that he was the first to post a comment today. Just not Daring Fireball style.

It's slightly amusing in that light if it were the real Gruber, which I don't believe, but there are so many adolescent "first" posts cluttering blogs and forums it's just lame.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daemonk View Post

Looks like one heck of a universal remote. Just a slate with no pre-defined UI.

To be a universal remote it would need some other features, IMO

1) It must have IR so it can learn and control other devices

2) It must have virtual buttons to control devices with no onscreen menu

3) It must fit comfortably in one hand

4) It must be operable with one hand-- the basic things like volume channel selection

5) It must be modal

--- Virtual buttons for non-screen operations while looking at the remote

--- Multi-touch gestures for on-screen operations while looking at the screen

6) it must be sturdy (few/no moving parts)

7) it must have a Valcro-like bottom surface, so it doesn't slide down between the couch cushions

8) It must cost less than $50 -- this is a basic remote

9) the iPod Touch or iPad is the "Big Daddy" URC

IMO, The MagicMouse is the ideal size, shape and weight,

-- It already has BT

-- Remove the laser and switch-- no mousing around

-- Add IR

-- Add "squeeze" gesture sensitivity (Multi-Touch area on sides

-- Add LEDs under semi-opaque surface that indicate virtual buttons

-- Squeeze gesture switches between Virtual button mode and MT mode

• Reply 56 of 101
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Oh snap! Did you snap your fingers and snake you neck when you said that? Did I read some attitude in them words?

"IT WAS VIEWED AT AN ANGLE". OHHHHHHHH.

I read no 'tude in this at all -- I thought the same thing when I read the "stretched Apple" comment.

What is with all the emphasis added that would change the tone just a bit. Did you have your mail set to "plain text, ALL caps"?

It seems maybe YOU have been offended for some reason.

Have a nice day.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    John Gruber posted: "first"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

Welcome to my ignore list. FIRST person ever to earn that honor on this forum. Guess you actually really were first at something?.

I think you missed the joke: John Gruber supposedly first hinted at this device in his blog perhaps as early as last October. "first", get it? a snippy person would say you weren't in the loop, or that your loop was distorted.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    Lookis to me to be a photo of the underside of a wireless keyboard
  • Reply 59 of 101
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rod76 View Post

Can't wait to pre-order this if its real. I can't see myself using this as a mouse replacement, but I can see this being a great tool to augment my Magic Mouse.

Even with BetterTouchTool there are some things I'd like to split between two devices for specific functions. There are just certain gestures that BetterTouchTool has a hard time with and there are a lot of false positives. This (alleged) touch pad would completely alleviate that.

I couldn't find my post in the many places I visit, but I did say, before we knew what Apple's next input device, the Magic Mouse, would be, that I wished Apple would take the square trackpad from the MBP and create a mouse out of that. I did! I honestly did!!

If this is an actual product soon to be announced, then I am just glad that Apple listened to me.

I'm a Mac and this Apple 'Magic Trackpad' thingy was my idea!

!

!

!
  • Reply 60 of 101
    I just can't see operating something like Photoshop or Illustrator with this. I use a 9-button logitech mouse, all of which are programmed to shortcut various key commands. For standard browsing, iTV, etc... maybe.