Purported photos of Apple's multitouch 'Magic Trackpad' leaked

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

I hope it comes in a wired version. I hate having to replace batteries every couple of weeks.

I've been running my Apple Bluetooth keyboard for months, never turning it off, on the same batteries. Granted, it's on my Mac Mini connected to a TV set so I don't use the keyboard that much, but still...
  • Reply 62 of 101
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I wouldn't mind if this thing worked like a notepad -- so you could sit back in your chair and sketch notes, drawings and the like into your computer. It would be a lovely thing when working on a proposal at the early stages, or when doing corrections of a document.

just my thoughts (I work in organic chemistry, to interfacing images and text is key to me)
  • Reply 63 of 101
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    It looks like a fake, but if it is not a fake, it could mean only one thing...

The end of conventional Mac OS to be replaced by iPhone OS with it's own App Store.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    kirkgraykirkgray Posts: 31member
    Dear Apple,

As a Mac desktop and laptop user here's what I want for my desktops: A keyboard / trackpad combo unit laid out exactly like the keyboard / trackpad on the MacBook Pros.

The keyboard should have black keys, just like the MacBook Pros (white keys on something you handle most of the day? really! what were you thinking?). The key layout should exactly match that of the most recent MacBook Pros. The trackpad should exactly match that of the most recent MacBook Pros. You could even make the keys glow in the dark like that in the MacBook Pros.

This seems so obvious. It's something I've wanted since my first iBook. One set of input memories for my hands and brain.

While this rumor is a step in that direction, it places the trackpad to the side rather than below the keyboard. Like the mouse it would replace, it would require a different set of motions than a trackpad positioned just like the laptops.

Thank you for your consideration.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm willing to wait for the presentation before I judge. Not convinced this is anything yet.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

The end of conventional Mac OS to be replaced by iPhone OS with it's own App Store.

There's no way Apple is getting rid of OS X. That would nullify so many of their other products and software like Logic. It's just yet another input device they will sell.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I seriously doubt this for 2 or 3 reasons.

1. It solves a problem Apple does not have. They just introduced the Magic Mouse, and while it's not perfect, this moves away from that in terms of usability. I'd figure they'd incrementally improve the MM instead of crafting a whole new breed of input devices.

2. Apple is moving away from input devices altogether -- why would they throw even more resources at something they're trying to eliminate?

3. The rubber bottom. I think it's probably photoshopped form an Airport Extreme or an Apple TV, or perhaps a Mini. Those have rubber bottoms to keep them from sliding around on a surface. The bottom of this thing, with the battery compartment holding it up, would never even contact a flat surface except at the front edge. They wouldn't waste all that rubber when a little strip or perhaps 2 feet at the front would do the trick.

Edit: Looking at the pics again, perhaps the bottom is plastic -- it looks like there's little feet. I still wonder what utility it serves?
  • Reply 68 of 101
    rolegprolegp Posts: 5member
    Quote:

I hope it comes in a wired version. I hate having to replace batteries every couple of weeks.

I get a couple of months out of my wireless magic mouse and wireless keyboard. You should at least get the same or better life on the pad.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post

They should have incorporated a screen..

the only company I've seen do that is Wacom and they probably hold several patents that would make it difficult for anyone else.

that said, I agree. I would be happy to see some compet in that market cause $2200 is steep.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Wouldn't it be an iPad at that point?

not at all. there's no CPU brains it in to do actual work. just enough to display and send back input.

you could take it two ways.

1. Is the Wacom Cintiq route. They are used by a lot of creatives for drawing and such. Being able to have a digital sketchpad where you can look at the previous work and the new at the same time (without moving your head) is invaluable for coloring and shading comics for example

2. a changeable keyboard. there was a concept idea maybe 2 years ago. the idea was that you would basically have a flat keyboard which would adjust according to language, DVORAK v QWERTY preference, even shortcuts in programs like Final Cut and Logic
  • Reply 70 of 101
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Meh. I'll keep my original fingerworks multi-touch pad thank you very much.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Except when you are sitting on a couch and the screen is your tv...

That's exactly why I've been desperately waiting for such a device for the last 18 months. Mac Mini connected to a large TV in the lounge, used for watching things like BBC iPlayer or for my son to play on the internet and be able to keep an eye on him.

If you've ever tried to use a mouse on your knee or arm rest of a sofa for any length of time you'll see how absolutely essential a Bluetooth trackpad is.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Apple may as well just set up a webcam in their labs and save everyone the trouble.

As for a trackpad for desktops, what a ridiculous idea. Trackpads are HORRIBLE compromises for portable computers - the best of a very bad job etc. A mouse blows a trackpad away in every possible way every single time, and no I don't care about pinching/zooming/twiddling when I'm in 3D Studio Max or Photoshop.

No worries then. It probably won't work on Windows anyway.
  • Reply 73 of 101
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Apple may as well just set up a webcam in their labs and save everyone the trouble.

As for a trackpad for desktops, what a ridiculous idea. Trackpads are HORRIBLE compromises for portable computers - the best of a very bad job etc. A mouse blows a trackpad away in every possible way every single time, and no I don't care about pinching/zooming/twiddling when I'm in 3D Studio Max or Photoshop.

I disagree completely. I was thinking about getting the wacom equivalent to this several months back, but heard about some issues with it. I'd love multi-touch capability at work on my iMac, this could be the trick.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Anyone who thinks this is a universal remote is not thinking it though.

I could imagine an iPhone being one, but not a trackpad. Besides, the physical piece of hardware is designed to be placed on a table, which is anti-living room.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    If it's a fake, it's a good one. Would be interesting, too bad track pads are a tactile nightmare to use.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

2. a changeable keyboard. there was a concept idea maybe 2 years ago. the idea was that you would basically have a flat keyboard which would adjust according to language, DVORAK v QWERTY preference, even shortcuts in programs like Final Cut and Logic

If you are going to have a third input device sitting on your desk anyway, the touch screen/ keyboard could have almost unlimited features. I think this is where the technology is eventually going. Not ideal for word processing but for graphics, 3D, video editing, etc, it could be useful.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

Welcome to my ignore list. FIRST person ever to earn that honor on this forum. Guess you actually really were first at something. LOL.

Re: the actual device: I WANT THIS. I prefer the MBP trackpad to a mouse any day.

Your ignore list is going to fill up quickly if that innocuous post sent you over the edge. ....

BOO! Am I on it too, now?
  • Reply 78 of 101
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Because it's being viewed at an angle.

OH oh oh, I see. I thought that was a thick side when I first looked at it. It seemed very un-apple like to have something so thick looking. That makes much more sense and now that I look at it I don't even know how I saw it as a side, it is clearly the bottom. Silly me.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

I don't think so. My wireless keyboard has lasted for 4 months now and my mouse for about 2 months. Not sure where you got two week usage.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Wouldn't it be an iPad at that point?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

It looks like a fake, but if it is not a fake, it could mean only one thing...

Not at all. the Mac OS is already friendly to pad based input. Wacom makes a whole line up that is sold in the Apple stores.

And Jobs has already said that he has no desire to create a Mac OS app store and vet every possible app. And doesn't feel the need since the Mac computer hardware is hardier, faster etc. There's less crash risks, which is one of the main reasons why they vet for the iphone OS.

also someone on another board brought up an idea for while some folks might go for a pad instead of a mouse. Apparently writing in Kanji etc is harder with a mouse. It can be done rather well on an ipad with a finger or a stylus. So this would give that option to desktop users in a similar style