Apple releases Safari 5 with extensions, expanded HTML5 support

Comments

• Reply 61 of 184
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[INDENT]• 136/160 on http://html5test.com/...

It's worth mentioning that this is a biased site however. It gives Safari poor marks for not supporting Ogg Theora in video and audio, when in fact it's not required to support those to be 100% compliant with HTML5.

It's more of a handy HTML5 support checklist (because you need to support some video and audio codecs even though they aren't in the spec), than it is a "test" of HTML5 compatibility.

Edit: it would also seem there are lots of HTML5 elements not listed.
  • Reply 62 of 184
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    heck, it feels fast even on a Windows machine... way to go Apple!

Hope there will be some firefox-ish add-ons coming our way...
  • Reply 63 of 184
    gmanmacgmanmac Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I am glad to see the blue progress bar's return. Seems slower though. Also Reader is not available in 10.5.8.

Seems smoking faster to me. Very noticeably faster.
  • Reply 64 of 184
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

And you **NEED** a Google UK search why exactly?

To have LESS features on the landing google page than the american version?

Or in the misguided opinion that the searches include more regional content for the UK?

I believe the word you are looking for is 'Fewer' as in 'lesser in number'...not 'less'.

Ranks up there with the 'loose' vs. 'lose' mistake.
  • Reply 65 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's worth mentioning that this is a biased site however. It gives Safari poor marks for not supporting Ogg Theora in video and audio, when in fact it's not required to support those to be 100% compliant with HTML5.

It's more of a handy HTML5 support checklist (because you need to support some video and audio codecs even though they aren't in the spec), than it is a "test" of HTML5 compatibility.

Edit: it would also seem there are lots of HTML5 elements not listed.

Excluding the optional codec support Safari 5 appears to be more compliant than Chrome 5 and faster. Adding Extensions and being native to OS X should help.

Not that I care since WebKit is already popular enough that developers are no longer ignoring it.
  • Reply 66 of 184
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    I don't notice any speed increase, though I have a fast connection, so pages load in a blink anyway.

No crashes, but I don't use 3rd party add ons.
  • Reply 67 of 184
  • Reply 68 of 184
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

Hope there will be some firefox-ish add-ons coming our way...

Probably not.

Safari 5 is nice, but it seems so bare next to a themed and tricked out Firefox.

I guess I'll use it when I feel like I'm overwhelmed with choice and control.
  • Reply 69 of 184
    Just downloaded it, and I have to say that I love the new reader feature.

Safari also seems a lot faster and for some reason pages use to hang up on me, they would not load, had to keep on hitting refresh, and now everything loads really fast. Love it, good job apple
  • Reply 70 of 184

It seems Panic's 'Coda Notes' Safari Extension might just be the first Safari Extension - They just demo'd it on stage at WWDC'10.
  • Reply 71 of 184
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I'll eat Kasper's shorts if Safari Reader isn't destined for your TV screen! lol
  • Reply 72 of 184
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    heads up - reader is sweet!
  • Reply 73 of 184
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Cripes! Safari 5 is really, terribly slow on my MacPro. Pages that were opening in split-seconds with 4.0.5 only a few minutes ago are now taking several seconds with the update. Something is very wrong.

Something is very wrong with YOUR setup. Safari 5 is blazing fast on my iMac 3.06 dualie in Snow Leopard. Go clean your "house."
  • Reply 74 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I'll eat Kasper's shorts if Safari Reader isn't destined for your TV screen! lol

Yep, sure looks so. And with the rumored 'Magic trackpad', Apple TV may be something.
  • Reply 75 of 184
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Safari Reader is great! I've always hated trying to read articles while being distracted by all the hoaky blinking, flashing, squirming ads. Nice to be able to make the type larger and perhaps email just the article and not just a link to the page.

So far, Safari 5 seems quite peppy, too!
  • Reply 76 of 184
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Methinks Safari 5 is slower than Apple's press announcements.

It's really fast!!
  • Reply 77 of 184
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Panic is developing an extension for Coda: http://www.panic.com/blog

I would really love to see these features added on mobile Safari for the iPad.
  • Reply 78 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Panic is developing an extension for Coda: http://www.panic.com/blog

I would really love to see these features added on mobile Safari for the iPad.

already posted :

Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

It seems Panic's 'Coda Notes' Safari Extension might just be the first Safari Extension - They just demo'd it on stage at WWDC'10.

Safari will be looked at in a different way, for sure. Extensions had to be inevitable as the competition (Firefox and Chrome) have had them for a while.

I'm glad Safari opens up now to new possibilities.
  • Reply 79 of 184
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 466member
    It's noticeably faster on my 2006 Macbook (Black). The older Safari 4 used to make me cringe whenever I asked it to open a new tab...slow slow slow! Now it purrs like a kitten, er... Snow Leopard.

Great update.
  • Reply 80 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I thought the iPhone was quite a spectacular announcement. The iPhone is now one seriously polished product. Crossed all the boxes and a gyroscope ta boot. Should shut the whiners up for 5 minutes.

Nope. Android trolls are screaming about the bezel now. It uses up 46% more bezel space than other phones.