AT&T website hack leaks iPad 3G user emails

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Yo0u guys are gonna make she shed a tear actually having a civilized conversation
  • Reply 62 of 81
    I agree Shobiz, why are people being so silly and critical of Apple for having one network, since it has been stated many times that Apple have contractual agreement with AT&T for iPhone. I do not know if this is true, but come on people collectively Apple is much smarter than us (pretty smart people in this forum) and they would have probably incorporated more networks, if the situation allowed.

Article by Gawker is so baised, it is not funny, come on stop with sour grapes, shut down your gossip news web site, since you will not be getting anymore Apple goodies in future and as we say it "maybe when hell freezes over, then Apple will invite you back" :-)
  • Reply 63 of 81
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Apple, how many reasons do you need before switching from AT&T to Verizon or Sprint or something?

Limited and expensive data plans

Poor reliability and coverage

Unable to do FaceTime or a number of other things over their 3G

Slowish speeds

Security flaw on website...

Come on already! The world and plenty of potential customers are waiting!

OK.. I couldn't hold back any more:

Apple DOES NOT MAKE A CDMA iPhone! And I seriously doubt they ever will!

GET OVER IT!

When Verizon switches over to 4G and LTE, Apple will be there... BUT NOT BEFORE!

THE REST OF THE WORLD USES GSM and we are happy with our service and choice of GSM (read: NOT CDMA!) carriers! We are also upgrading networks here in Europe to 4G, so we'll also be ready for that day.

CDMA is DEAD... OLD... DATED...TECH!

Are the majority of you still stuck in Ami-Land (I'm an Ami living in Europe for 20+/yrs) that dumb?

Or do you pretend to be just for the argument and bashing?!

Go stuff your CDMA wishes into a Goatse-Space.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    After calming down somewhat, I must say, I feel sorry for you guys Stateside... and for Apple, that you have such a worthless choice for network carriers.

If anything.... that's what I'm P'd about!

I can't for the life of me imagine leaving Europe and having to go back to the Stone-Age of network compatibility(!). Even to visit seems it would be painful tech-wise; not to mention suffering the idiot-sphere that can't read, or inform themselves beyond Fox headline news, Netflix, Hulu, or a Comedy Show.

Amazing that Apple is even an American company these days. The rest of your business(es) are truly shocking in their greed and inability to pull themselves into the 21st Century, kicking, screaming and conniving the whole way! Simply and sadly: PATHETIC!

As I've asked before here in other threads: is Apple and SJ the ONLY leaders in tech these days? People talk about choice... show me another tech-leader that's even half the visionary of SJ and his Apple-Team. None. Zero.

You/we/I have no choice. Just Wanna-Be-CEOs-cum-Board-Spies and copy machine operators. Don't forget a PR Team in their employ to bash Apple at any chance when the recorder battery or toner runs out, and their "i-Killer Device" is a dud. That's "American-Made" these days. How sad!

Thank Gawd that I have a great experience with all things "Designed in California"... albeit in Europe!

PS: Funny how the 60's Flower-Power Gen now in the Power-Suites, are worse in many ways then their parent's gen. that they protested against... way back when.

(I'm showing my age... how sad! and

<rant_over>

PS: Before someone else points it out, I must admit that it's just as pathetic that European businesses and govt.'s follow like sheep, at every whim and trend in America. We have no "gonads" either if truth be known.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The breach, profiled in a report by Gawker, described the event as "another embarrassment" for Apple

Not being funny, but how the hell is this embarrassing for Apple. This has nothing to with Apple, except for it being data about their device owners.

This is all AT&T's fault. Apple had no control over this.

Talk about trolling...honestly!
  • Reply 66 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

I could have done without seeing that!

Now THAT's funny! (The reply... not the reason for it!!!!)
  • Reply 67 of 81
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

OK.. I couldn't hold back any more:

Apple DOES NOT MAKE A CDMA iPhone! And I seriously doubt they ever will!

GET OVER IT!

When Verizon switches over to 4G and LTE, Apple will be there... BUT NOT BEFORE!

THE REST OF THE WORLD USES GSM and we are happy with our service and choice of GSM (read: NOT CDMA!) carriers! We are also upgrading networks here in Europe to 4G, so we'll also be ready for that day.

Are the majority of you still stuck in Ami-Land (I'm an Ami living in Europe for 20+/yrs) that dumb?

Or do you pretend to be just for the argument and bashing?!

Thank you PixelDoc. I've been wanting to scream the same thing. Even if they could, I don't see Apple making a CDMA phone. Especially when they will switch to 4G phones next year.

And if Verizon was using GSM like the rest of the world is today, I suspect that that the iPhone would be on both ATT and Verizon networks.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

I read the Gawker article and nowhere in there does it indicate that Apple did anything wrong. This all seems to be AT&T's security breach. Why did Gawker implicate Apple in the title? First, the generate clicks and second, they are still pissed that Apple is pissed at them for calling the cops on them for the whole iPhone 4 brouhaha.

Whatever journalistic integrity that Gawker had left (and that was very little), you'd think they'd get a headline right. Sadly, they don't have the integrity to even get that right.

Gizmodo are just a bunch of Apple hating hacks, they also give mega reviews to 'meh' Android phones and heavily criticise the iPhone etc. (Unfortunately it's the same with a lot of tech websites, they too also let other companies off because there not as 'big and mighty' as the evil Apple and cannot produce phones as good as them... BUT THE COMPANY IS MUCH NICER!) You expect many 'techies' to respect Apple... no. They go against all what they think; that companies should just create great gadgets and it should all be conservative with nothing real radical happening.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Let us not forget ? someone broke the law doing this, and they should "Pass go, and got straight to jail"!

Many are picking on AT&T on the list, and they do have some blame to accept, but those who BROKE into the system, are the real culprits and do need to be held accountable for their actions.

Remember folks, this is YOUR (in some cases) information they STOLE and are passing on to others.

Skip
  • Reply 70 of 81
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Let us not forget ? someone broke the law doing this, and they should "Pass go, and got straight to jail"!

Many are picking on AT&T on the list, and they do have some blame to accept, but those who BROKE into the system, are the real culprits and do need to be held accountable for their actions.

Remember folks, this is YOUR (in some cases) information they STOLE and are passing on to others.

Skip

I agree, and this could have been any system being broken into or compromised. Just because some group did it or the system was AT&T's does not make it okay. Waaay too many of these acts occur and are basically ignored these days.

Image if someone broke into your home (while you were not there) and stole several items. The police said, "Well you did not have adequate security at the time. It's your fault. Bah Bye".

While security was or may be an issue that does not clear the criminal of their activity.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This is not the first time or the last where personal data is hacked over the internet.

Whether you like it or not, your personal data (credit cards, medical history, purchase history, salary, etc) is contained in hundreds, if not thousands, of databases that are accessible by thousands, if not millions, of employees who can access this data, legally or not.

Welcome to the Internet Age.

It's even worse that that: every day millions of people hand their credit card to a 16 year old waiter who leaves the room with it for several minutes. Even when the card info isn't stolen by a disgruntled employee, many retailers still use carbons and don't always shred them, making your CC info available to any dumpster diver.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

About 70% of the planet uses GSM. The Apple iPhone is a GSM handset, there is no CDMA model.

There are two GSM carriers in the United States: AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T is far larger.

Doesn't sound that odd to me.

Note that in a Consumer Reports study of U.S. mobile operators, Verizon beat out AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint by a few points, just above the threshold of statistical significance (according to CR). I recall all the scores were bunched in the mid 70s. That essentially means that Verizon is a 37" giant in a kingdom of three-foot midgets.

AT&T isn't much of a step down from Verizon unless you happen to live in an area that AT&T services poorly.

Disagree. I've had both. Verizon is better. I'm not saying it's great, but it's better. AT&T has service gaps everywhere. I live in the Philly suburbs/exurbs, and there are 3G dead zones everywhere.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Not being funny, but how the hell is this embarrassing for Apple. This has nothing to with Apple, except for it being data about their device owners.

This is all AT&T's fault. Apple had no control over this.

Talk about trolling...honestly!

Does "trolling" apply to AppleInsider?

While it's not Apple's fault the breach happened, there is a certain irony: after kicking cross-platform developers in the teeth over, among other things, security risks, Apple gets their biggest security exposure from their own partner.

Fortunately the info stolen was fairly insignificant, and apparently not hard for AT&T to correct once it happened. But Gawkers' description of the exploit made it seem so trivial that it makes one wonder what sort of lax security awareness do they have at AT&T that it was set up that way to begin with? Is Balmer running AT&T?
  • Reply 74 of 81
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    screw AT&T
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Is Balmer running AT&T?

lmfao

Yes Ballmer is running AT&T and Obama is actually Osama
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Fortunately the info stolen was fairly insignificant, and apparently not hard for AT&T to correct once it happened. But Gawkers' description of the exploit made it seem so trivial that it makes one wonder what sort of lax security awareness do they have at AT&T that it was set up that way to begin with? Is Balmer running AT&T?

The ICC-ID combined with email address *can* be useful. I've seen a hack involving your ICC-ID to spoof the Storm8 servers to allow you to play their games in a web browser rather than your Apple Mobile device (sorry, iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch/iFuture Stuff is getting long... ). I've never *paid* for anything in their games, but that has potential, too.

Of course, one could already get the information necessary on a few people from their stupidity photos...
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Lets think about this for a second... You say CMDA is dead, old, dated technology. This may very well be true, but is it still be used? Yes. Is it being phased out quickly? No.

So lets say conservatively, there's 10 years left in CMDA. For 10 years Apple is going to call it dead technology and ignore it? This doesn't make sense from a business perspective, but then again, having one of the best phones (made by an American company mind you) limited to a single network in America, that doesn't make much sense either.

So really, the reason can't be that cdma is "dead old dated technology." We're not talking about VHS or something. CMDA is very much still being used, and will be that way for a good chunk of time.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Not as much as Verizon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I love the baseless claims that VZN would be any better than ATT.

And I love how you have no idea what my experience with the carriers is. I had Verizon for 7 years. I've AT&T for the past 2. While I must say that there has been SOME improvement in the past year for AT&T, there is no comparison whatsoever. Verizon has better call quality, fewer dropped calls and fewer dead zones, not to mention vastly superior 3G coverage. My Dad has had Verizon (and Sprint) in Southwest Florida and my brother has hadd AT&T in Northeast PA and Verizon in Houston, TX. There is absolutely no comparison.

When I got my iPhone, it was nearly useless as a phone for the first 6 months. I dropped at least 5 calls a day in the Philadelphia area. 3G was slow when it worked. It was ALL the network. I went up to Boston for a weekend, and it was like getting a new phone. Fast 3G, good calls, etc. My phone is now useable in the area and 3G has been better. But there are still random stops with data, dropped calls, etc. It's just that there are not as many of them. Oh, and AT&T's customer service is a PILE. My wife and I went to AT&T store to combine our plans. The rep at the store even had trouble getting AT&T to understand what we wanted. Of course, they also charge you an $18 "upgrade fee" for anything you change. Anything.

Now, having said all that, yes...Verizon would probably have some adoption problems if millions of new iPhone users came their way within a few months. But their network is far better. Presumably, more carrier choice would also lighten AT&T's load.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

AI left out the best part. The group responsible for uncovering this hole is called Goatse Security

Has anybody checked out the Goagtse Security web site/

If you had, you would have found posted at the bottom of their web site at http://security.goatse.fr/ :
    Quote:

Goatse Security is a wholly owned subsidiary of the GNAA

And checking out GNAA is, …well you decide. http://www.gnaa.eu/
    In any event, I feel that disclosing confidential information as was done here*, should be equally illegal as buying stolen items or being an accessory after the fact.
    Quote:

A group known as Goatse Security has published the personal e-mail addresses of the victims—many of whom are popular celebrities, prominent executives and high-ranking dignitaries—that it obtained by exploiting an automated script on an AT&T server.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1519...data_leak.html

• Reply 80 of 81
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Disagree. I've had both. Verizon is better. I'm not saying it's great, but it's better. AT&T has service gaps everywhere. I live in the Philly suburbs/exurbs, and there are 3G dead zones everywhere.

I guess it sucks to be you?