Radio Shack to accept pre-orders for iPhone 4 alongside Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I called my local rat shack and they said since the iPhone 4 announcement trade in values have changed. The new values are $100 for any size/condition 3G and $200 for any size condition 3GS. Please update the post
  • Reply 22 of 43
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    The bottom line...trade-in value at RS is not set in concrete until the moment of the transaction. I just dropped back by my local store and we ran the in-store appraisal again and came up with $145 plus change on my 16GB mint 3G (same as yesterday). The guy did tell me that the value would likely drop to the $100 RS written minimum trade-in price on June 24. He added that while no guarantee, the value would also likely hold at or near the $145 figure up till the day of the iphone 4G release (ie June 24). At the very least, he recommended that if I wanted to trade mine in, I do so on June 23 and just do without my iphone for a day. I was also told that RS is going to require the purchase of a $50 gift card (ie no way to get cash back...have to spend in RS) with iphone 4 pre-orders taken between June 15 and the June 24 release. Of course assuming you DO purchase the iphone 4 you pre-order at RS, the full $50 gift card, plus the trade-in value apply towards the $199 price.

A quick check on Craigslist would seem to indicate that the current going price for a 16GB 3G iphone with minor scratches (ie unlike mine which is pristine due to being wrapped in a skin and a Speck ToughSkin jacket its entire life) is around $200-$250, but there is the hassle of messing with the sale and the real potential of its value dropping as the 24th rolls closer (assuming I wait until just before the 24th to put it up for sale).

I do have an older smartphone (Siemens SX-66) which I have verified works with the SIM from my iphone, so I could use that as my cell (ie no disruption in call service) in the interim.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Radioshack is getting 20,000 units. That will go really fast so get there early, especially if you live central or west coast. The east coast could eat them up pretty quick.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post

Radioshack is getting 20,000 units. That will go really fast so get there early, especially if you live central or west coast. The east coast could eat them up pretty quick.

Per store, otherwise that's like one unit per store? Those things are everywhere.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Per store for sure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Per store, otherwise that's like one unit per store? Those things are everywhere.

Yes. With 4,000 stores that would be 5 per store which is not likely. So it's probably several million committed just for Radio Shack. My guess is Apple's been building and warehousing, in all 5 launch countries, these phones for the past month and there are probably going to be more than 10 million in the USA on launch day.

A million iPhones would be 250 per Radio Shack store which is hardly enough for the weekend - more like the first few hours. So there is probably a commitment of several million units just for Radio Shack.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Per store for sure.Yes. With 4,000 stores that would be 5 per store which is not likely. So it's probably 800,000 units to a million committed just for Radio Shack. My guess is Apple's been building and warehousing, in all 5 launch countries, these phones for the past month and there are probably going to be about 10 million in the USA on launch day.

Perhaps you or someone else has better figures, but between Apple Store, AT&T, Radio Shack, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart I count about 11,000 retail locations that could be selling the iPhone come the 24th.

I was going to wait in line but I think I'll just have it shipped to me, providing that is till offered.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    There can be no question that Apple is better prepared for this launch than the previous 3. I suspect that there is flexibility in the number of units RS will get on launch day. Just the fact that you have to make a reservation to come in on Tuesday to pre-order gives RS and Apple both an early estimate of interest as well as the actual number of units that RS will need to avoid a nightmare on launch day. It also allows RS to allocate among its stores based on those reservations for reservations confirmed by the actual number that pre-order starting Tuesday. If RS is swamped by pre-orders then it is likely that they might well exhaust their launch allocation at some point between the start of pre-orders and the release on the 24th, but If launch day inventory was as constrained as previous launches, Apple would not be rolling out to BB, Walmart and RS till later in the cycle. Remember that RS is in the business of repeat customers and given the PREMIUM halo effect of the iPhone, I don't see them blowing this opportunity. The simple fact that Apple is allowing RS to participate in the pre-launch, which at this point does NOT include BB, Walmart or AT&T, (at least not yet announced) indicates that Apple is giving RS preferential treatment, which translates into inventory.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    justfinejustfine Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

The bottom line...trade-in value at RS is not set in concrete until the moment of the transaction. I just dropped back by my local store and we ran the in-store appraisal again and came up with $145 plus change on my 16GB mint 3G (same as yesterday). The guy did tell me that the value would likely drop to the $100 RS written minimum trade-in price on June 24. He added that while no guarantee, the value would also likely hold at or near the $145 figure up till the day of the iphone 4G release (ie June 24). At the very least, he recommended that if I wanted to trade mine in, I do so on June 23 and just do without my iphone for a day. I was also told that RS is going to require the purchase of a $50 gift card (ie no way to get cash back...have to spend in RS) with iphone 4 pre-orders taken between June 15 and the June 24 release. Of course assuming you DO purchase the iphone 4 you pre-order at RS, the full $50 gift card, plus the trade-in value apply towards the $199 price.

A quick check on Craigslist would seem to indicate that the current going price for a 16GB 3G iphone with minor scratches (ie unlike mine which is pristine due to being wrapped in a skin and a Speck ToughSkin jacket its entire life) is around $200-$250, but there is the hassle of messing with the sale and the real potential of its value dropping as the 24th rolls closer (assuming I wait until just before the 24th to put it up for sale).

I do have an older smartphone (Siemens SX-66) which I have verified works with the SIM from my iphone, so I could use that as my cell (ie no disruption in call service) in the interim.

Friday, 11 June: Told 1.) 3G Perfect Condition worth $100. 2.) Told to be there at 7am on the 15th to pre-order and that they would be placing their order before 10am.

Sunday, 13 June: Told 1.) Same 3G worth $150. 2.) Told to come in anytime as they would not be placing their order until late in the day, but was told that earlier was better.

Who to believe?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Well I decided to put mine with a new battery on there and so far after 2 hours nothing. I guess Northern CA isn't as hot for iPhones as they are in Miami. I read a recent post about this on MacRumors that a guy there was able to get $425 for his 32GB 3GS there on Craig's list 15 minutes after he posted it. We'll see.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

• Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Per store for sure.Yes. With 4,000 stores that would be 5 per store which is not likely. So it's probably several million committed just for Radio Shack. My guess is Apple's been building and warehousing, in all 5 launch countries, these phones for the past month and there are probably going to be more than 10 million in the USA on launch day.

A million iPhones would be 250 per Radio Shack store which is hardly enough for the weekend - more like the first few hours. So there is probably a commitment of several million units just for Radio Shack.

It's 20K for Radioshack as a company and I just got news from my DMM that Apple is nott letting RS or BB do preorders at all.

We were going to open at 6AM tomorrow for Preorders and have been telling people that all week only to have the rug ripped out from under us. It is looking like RS is get 20K units for launch date with some stores not getting any. The allotment will be based on past iPhone performance. Bad news for me!

Also employees are ineligible to purchase the phone (but not their wives!!)
  • Reply 31 of 43
    APPLE is not allowing RS or BB to preorded the phones as of about 30mins ago.

We were going to open at 6AM tomorrow for Preorders and have been telling people that all week only to have the rug ripped out from under us. It is looking like RS is get 20K units for launch date with some stores not getting any. The allotment will be based on past iPhone performance. Bad news for me!

• Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

It's 20K for Radioshack as a company and I just got news from my DMM that Apple is nott letting RS or BB do preorders at all.

I just called my store and they say pre-orders are still on. So you are mis-informed. No way is the chain only getting 20k iPhones. No frikin' way in hell. It has to be at least a million just to give each store 250 which would last a couple of hours.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Last year I bought a 3GS with the Early upgrade pricing (not the full discount)When I do *639# I get

"you may select equipment at our full price" So I called up at&T and they told me to call an official at&t store (there systems currently do not have iPhone eligibly info). The guy at the store looked up my account. He said you account shows that you can not get any discount. but said that every current AT&T iPhone customer will get the full or partial discount. He said they they would have to override mine in the in the system when I come pre order. I told him I wanted to go to Rat Shack since they have the trade in program. He said hes not sure if it would work there since an AT&T manger needs to type in a code to override, but told me to call the radio shack that I was going to buy it from to see if they could do it. I called them and they said they have the same systems as at&t but can only authorize what it tells them. They do not know that every current AT&T iPhone customer gets a discount, but said to come on down and they might be able to call at&t up and do it.

So as usual getting the new phone will be a pain in the a**
  • Reply 34 of 43
    dornedorne Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see your 2M and move it to the first weekend and raise you to 3M in the first full week (assuming there are no shortages which pretty much gives me an out ).

With AT&T allowing most 3GS buyers to get the iPhone 4 at the Upgrade Eligible price it's a no brainer for many. I've even coached people on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks.

Care to share your coaching tip on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorne View Post

Care to share your coaching tip on how to make money on getting this next iPhone for "free" in two weeks?

Be Upgrade Eligible and sell your current one. If you have accessories be sure you clean them up, put back in the original packaging and advertise them as a package, too, since they likely won't work with the new iPhone. Nothing sneaky or underhanded.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    dornedorne Posts: 3member
    Are there any trade-offs by purchasing the phone from RS vs. Apple direct? If I run into a problem, can I take an RS purchased iPhone to the Apple store, etc.?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorne View Post

Are there any trade-offs by purchasing the phone from RS vs. Apple direct? If I run into a problem, can I take an RS purchased iPhone to the Apple store, etc.?

There are tradeoffs, but none when it comes to the warranty and service of the device itself. You can still call Apple or take it to any Apple Store for service and support.

The potential benefit being there are over 4000 Radio Shacks that may not be bombarded with buyers though we no idea what their stock will be like. They also have a buyback program (link below) that may save quite a bit of money off a new iPhone. They are also rumoured to be selling it for $5 cheaper than Apple is.
    http://radioshack.cexchange.com/ (the site is real, not a hoax)
  • Reply 38 of 43
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/h...-the-iphone-4/

Engadget says the whole third party pre-order thing is falling apart.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Store Open - Punch Line Is White Unavailable For Pre-Order Nor In-Store Pickup. So if you want a White iPhone 4, we have to sit on the sideline while all the Black iPhone orders go first.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Just got back from my local RS. While a nice store, it is at a disadvantage due to road construction (why I chose it). At any rate, they opened at their normal 9am (they called me yesterday to confirm when they would open and that I was indeed on the list to pre-order). Got there a few minutes before 9 and there was one other person which was there to add minutes to his pre-paid acct. As already reported, RS has dropped the $50 pre-pay on pre-orders. What they are doing is verifying that your AT&T account is indeed eligible for upgrade and then collecting some basic info (name, email addy, address and verifying drivers license). The manager told me that the stores would get pin#s for pre-orders later today and it is that pin # that guarantees you the iphone on the 24th. He told me that I should get an email directly from RS later today and that he would call me as well.

Now on to the trade-in... Okay, the price dropped a few dollars since Saturday, but still works out pretty nice (got $136 plus change). The kicker is that all the local stores ran thru their gift card supply on the EVO launch and they are awaiting more. The manager ran my appraisal through their system and printed it out to put with my orders. He told me that the gift card issue should be resolved later today as well. I was very clear, and repeated, that this was THEIR problem, not mine, as I had my iphone wiped and ready to trade-in on the spot, so I fully expected that the appraisal price as of this morning WOULD BE HONORED. Could not get a firm acknowledgement on the matter, but the manager is a nice guy, so for the moment, I will give him the benefit of the doubt as I have no money on the line and I still have my 3G iphone in my possession.

BTW, by the time the manager (only one working this morning) was finished with me, there were 3 others in line to pre-order, which given that this particular RS is off the beaten path and located on a street undergoing MAJOR reconstruction, would seem to indicate that at least a fair pre-order response at RS.

Will update when this is more to report.