Microsoft store to face off against Apple iPhone 4 launch

Comments

• Reply 201 of 234
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They're giving away a year free of Norton Anti-Virus and a giving a free lesson on how to Defrag your HDD.

• Reply 202 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post

There won't be such a concentration of virgins in one place until the next Star Wars convention.

OMG! That's funny !
  • Reply 203 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

Actually they don't own Boston Market anymore. They used to have a majority share in Chipotle but also fully divested of that too.

The hilarious part is that once on their own, both started making money.
  • Reply 204 of 234
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

"dwarfs"

Also watch out for those elusive elfs, wolfs in sheep's clothing. Play Balderdash a few times and we realize that there are thousands of English words and usages that don't sound quite right to our dumbed down, sound-bite TV culture. But I guess the number of legitimate words in a decent English language dictionary always dwarfs the number in the average vocabulary.

Just a friendly reminder that we shouldn't take our selfs too seriously
  • Reply 205 of 234
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

For example, Steam found that Windows systems crashed 5 times as much as Macs (in terms of crashes per minutes used).

Actaully the statistic they were throwing around was Portal crashed five times more in Windows, don't confuse Steam with the games.

Of course maybe this is due to the fact that Portal will actually run on a heck of a lot more Windows machines they can it can actually run on a Mac (My Mac can't run Portal in OS X, but in Bootcamp it can fine)

And don't forget the Mac versions of the games run slower than they do on the same spec'ed Windows machine
  • Reply 206 of 234
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What's the evidence for that?

Granted, more people OWN Windows computers than Macs, but that doesn't mean they find them easier or more stable.

In fact, there have been endless studies comparing the two and Mac are ALWAYS shown to be easier to use and more productive than any version of Windows compared. I don't think Win 7 has been compared yet, but there's not enough new stuff in Windows 7 to change the situation.

For example, Steam found that Windows systems crashed 5 times as much as Macs (in terms of crashes per minutes used).

So where's the evidence to support your claim that Windows is much easier and more stable than Snow Leopard?

Yeah because Steam has 10 years of data on PC's and 2 weeks on Mac's???

Of the games that play on both, which runs better/faster on the same hardware, say a Mac in boot camp vs OS X??
  • Reply 207 of 234
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Yes, it did -- just admit it and CONFESS!!!

(Let's face it, this sort of stuff happens invariably anyway. At least we're not talking about little green Martians. Or are we? Maybe they're the ones really behind Microsoft's slow, laborious demise... )

Hey Doug, you gotta love it! At least this is all on the friendly side and not getting into flames about petty things, right?

And I confess!

And now a word from our sponsor: Here's Rob Enderle, the erstwhile Cyber-CIA operative from Rolm-IBM-Siemens* in the 1980s, ready with some new and ghastly attacks on Granny Smith's Apples!

* actually knew this turd and he was nothing more than a marketeer doing competitive analysis. CIA indeed!
  • Reply 208 of 234
    [deleted by poster]
  • Reply 209 of 234
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Huh? What on earth does the above disjointed jumble of words mean? "Windows 7 sold out every copy of OX X?"

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

You should check out what you quoted there, because you certainly didn't copy and paste it.
  • Reply 210 of 234
    I'm pretty sure I read that MSFT stores will stock iPhone 4 on launch day! Or not.
  • Reply 211 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

Also watch out for those elusive elfs, wolfs in sheep's clothing. Play Balderdash a few times and we realize that there are thousands of English words and usages that don't sound quite right to our dumbed down, sound-bite TV culture. But I guess the number of legitimate words in a decent English language dictionary always dwarfs the number in the average vocabulary.

Just a friendly reminder that we shouldn't take our selfs too seriously

I'm the last person I take seriously! The above was just a tangent away from the oh-so-serious topic around here.

I have (tried) to informally teach English to my German colleagues but that's impossible since Germany has absorbed so many non-German English words into their everyday usage. McDrive = mcDonald's Drive Thru? C'mon. OTOH trying to fit "Durchfahrt" on a sign just doesn't capture the essence of what you get at a drive through.

c.f. http://www.ecphorizer.com/EPS/site_p...ge=92&issue=11
  • Reply 212 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

You should check out what you quoted there, because you certainly didn't copy and paste it.

Oh shoot. Major fail on my part. I reversed the "out sold" and thought it read "sold out."

Very very sorry. The post has been deleted.
  • Reply 213 of 234
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

No, it is you who is the idiot (read the article closer).

I knew I'd get someone! It's called sarcasm moron!
  • Reply 214 of 234
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    And Steve "the Bozo" Ballmer with a big red nose that honks!
  • Reply 215 of 234
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They all copy from each other. [...] I would say it's fact that Apple takes existing technology and just implements it better.

Of course they do, that's why they are successful!

Talk about a "duh!...." comment. Having said that, as I said in another thread, if it was so easy, there would be lots of Apple's out there. There are some other companies that have aspects of Apple, but none that pay attention to the end-to-end detail that they do.

It's a huge reason why they are number 2 behind Exxon in market cap...
  • Reply 216 of 234
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Exactly. Most people probably don't remember how sad the state of Apple's presence was in the computer retail industry. The amount of FUD spewed by the commission sales staff at almost every retail outlet was quite unbelievable. One key to success in a competitive retail environment is of course: shelf space (other than knowledgable staff of course). When you're up against 95% of Wintel manufacturers, you're facing an uphill battle.

The state of affairs was not much better at their authorised resellers, at least in my experience in Vancouver in the '90s. The staff was mostly ignorant, condecending to everybody but big accounts, and usually not particularly good at supporting their customers.

Apple did the right thing to secure shelf space by putting their own shelfs into their own stores and hiring mac expert staff to deal with their customers. It was wildly ridiculed at the time, but the execution of their retail strategy is now considered a text book case for doing it right.

when apple storers first opened they was lonely islands of cool ness

thee msft stores seem so ... well sad

no ???

and why does a san diego mall need 4 ms stores ??

best topic in a while

some very funny lines
  • Reply 217 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

What does Apple do differently?

Do they restore all the data and third party software for customers who have hopelessly messed up the OS? I'd like that as a service!

Do they do that?

apple exist's for us to worship

other than that

they do nothing

except control the known universe

• Reply 218 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Great idea! I'm looking forward to seeing 720p videos of the new MS store with captions, voiceover and slick edits uploaded onto youtube hours after the 4 is released.

minutes after
  • Reply 219 of 234
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Have a little sympathy for Stevie and the other Windows/PC fans who post here. Imagine how galling it must be to see the little company that you almost drove out of business rise up to become a worthy rival, and to eat your lunch in some areas. It used to be the other way around: lonely Apple fans nipping at the heels of big bad MS on forums, being roundly ridiculed. Cut them a little slack and let them vent.

lanyards !!
  • Reply 220 of 234
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They also sell PCs from the major vendors. The benefit is that they reportedly don't come with pre-installed crapware, except for MS's SW.

I am surprised even you can't resist to join this flood of shallow, desperately-trying-to-be-funny (and failing miserably) comments of people not having anything better to do with their shiny computers.