AT&T, Deutsche Telecom might not have white iPhone 4s for launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T Wireless will only be taking pre-orders for black iPhone 4s and won't have white models to sell to customers until sometime after the device launches on June 24th, according to memo that is reportedly making its way to AT&T stores. And it's not the only carrier affected.

The unauthenticated memo was published by modmyi, the same outlet which leaked an accurate memo last week regarding the carrier's intent to offer a iPhone 4 trade-up program for recent iPhone 3GS buyers.

According to the latest memo, AT&T stores will only take reservations for the 16GB and 32GB black iPhone 4 starting tomorrow, and won't have white models to sell until sometime "later this summer."

None of Apple's other iPhone U.S. resellers have issued word of such restrictions and it's therefore unclear if the availability issue is specific to AT&T or a hint at a bigger problem that may become public when Apple officially kicks off the pre-order process tomorrow.

However, it's also being reported that both Soft Bank of Japan and Deutsche Telecom won't have white iPhones on launch day either, suggesting a broader issue may be materializing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    This is gonna suck a fatty
  • Reply 2 of 53
    kawaikawai Posts: 10member
    Japan's Softbank won't have it on launch also.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Who cares the white ones look rubbish and always have.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    This is the update that finally made She Who Must Be Obeyed (wife) want to ditch her first gen 4gb iphone and of course she wanted a 32 gb in white. Somehow this will be my fault.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by migroves View Post

Who cares the white ones look rubbish and always have.

The white iPhone 3G/3GS was rubbish but the iPhone 4 looks stunning in white.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

This is gonna suck a fatty

Jezus, people... Get a grip.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I totally agree, I'm just hoping that when the iPhone 4 goes for sale in my country it will be with both colors from day 1.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Damn. I was hoping for a white one on launch day. Looks like i'll be waiting a while if this is a widespread issue
  • Reply 9 of 53
    "White will available at a later date"

What the hell kind of grammar is that? I doubt Apple would release an official memo with a mistake like that.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Just like I love my women, I'm all for black.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Jezus, people... Get a grip.

Some are 'gripping' it too tight!
  • Reply 12 of 53
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I don't think it looks like rubbish, of course mine has been in a black leather case since day one.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    I currently have a white 3Gs and will be getting a black 4G as soon as they come out. I bought the white to match my MacBook and white iMac. But now Apple is going to 'Corporate' colors, funeral black and pallbearer gray, I will most likely get a black 4G.

I think Jobs hit the nail on the head when he said, 'the tooling looks like a Leica camera.' My Dad had a late fifties Leica.

The fact the 4G is thinner, better camera with flash and 40% more battery means I can stop carrying around my Casio camera and my case/battery from Morphie which makes my white 3GS look like something a Star Wars storm trooper would carry around...It's so thick and heavy I almost never use it for that reason! I will also remove the charging dock from my car too.

Less wires and less stuff to carry around and I'm happy! Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 14 of 53
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I currently have a white 3Gs and will be getting a black 4G as soon as they come out. I bought the white to match my MacBook and white iMac. But now Apple is going to 'Corporate' colors, funeral black and pallbearer gray, I will most likely get a black 4G.

I think Jobs hit the nail on the head when he said, 'the tooling looks like a Lyca camera.' My Dad had a late fifties Lyca.

The fact the 4G is thinner, better camera with flash and 40% more battery means I can stop carrying around my Casio camera and my case/battery from Morphie which makes my white 3GS look like something a Star Wars storm trooper would carry around...It's so thick and heavy I almost never use it for that reason! I will also remove the charging dock from my car too.

Less wires and less stuff to carry around and I'm happy! Thanks Apple!

FYI, it's spelled "Leica".
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

FYI, it's spelled "Leica".

Yep! Thanks!
  • Reply 16 of 53
    I called Apple and they said that they are sellnig White tomorrow and that the rumor is absolutely untrue...we will see...
  • Reply 17 of 53
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    This is the kind of spark that sets off a pre-order frenzy. If they are already short on the white models, what does that say about the rest. Better get one before the other shoe drops.

I have always had the white ones, while my wife prefers the black. It is easy to tell them apart that way. I want my white iPhone, damn it! But I'll take Zune brown if that is the only color they have. I don't even remember when I sold my soul to Apple. The sad part is, I don't even want it back.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfies167 View Post

I called Apple and they said that they are sellnig White tomorrow and that the rumor is absolutely untrue...we will see...

Did you expect them to say that the rumors are true?
  • Reply 19 of 53
    kay_bobokay_bobo Posts: 13member
    i dont even care if the never had to white ones lol
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kay_bobo View Post

i dont even care if the never had to white ones lol

Good for you.