Inside iPhone 4: Gyro spins Apple ahead in gaming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If the gyroscope is like the Wii add-on, it?s a pair of vibrating tuning forks rather than spinning axles, and variations on the vibrations are what gets measured. A tuning-fork gyroscope.

Either way, it?s a little moving part inside your phone, so tiny that even thieves with screwdrivers didn?t find it! (And evidently so tiny that it doesn?t kill the battery. I had no idea mobile-friendly gyroscopes even existed.) Pretty cool.

Look up 'MEMS accelerometer' and become amazed...
  • Reply 22 of 96
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    " Microsoft has also admitted that it won't be ready to support gyros or digital compasses in Windows Phone 7 at its end of the year launch. "

You gotta be kiddin' me MS?.... it's 2010 (2011 by the time WinMo7 gets on board).

When are you ever going to catch up?

It's not all your fault, is it Ballmer? \
  • Reply 23 of 96
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Good article again, DEG.

I assume that the new API will work with old technology with just less accuracy, as you suggest.

I wonder if we will need to wait a full year for iPad 2 to come out with camera and gyro.
  • Reply 24 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In video game consoles, accelerometer-based motion control was pioneered by Nintendo, which around 2001 bought up patents from Gyration pertaining to that company's motion sensing PC mice. Five years later, the company had completed an innovative design for a one-handed controller using a 3-axis accelerometer paired with an IR camera designed to locate itself in space using a stationary "sensor bar," which enables the Wii Remote to determine where it is being pointed.

This is what so scary about Apple, the Cupertino-based company is so keen to develop which technologies are going to be widely accepted and popular, and Apple was able to grasp them rather quickly than other competitors in the industry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new gyro is also an example of how Apple can outpace rival platforms that advertise "openness" as a feature over integration; Google won't be able to move its Android partners to add gyros to all their phones immediately, nor will the company be very interested in developing a sophisticated new motion API in Android, given that such a feature won't do much to help the company sell more ads. Microsoft won't be adding gyro support to Windows Phone 7 from the start, and Symbian's installed base is so large that adding gyros to new phones won't really result in an addressable market for gyro-based games, given the already limited potential for sophisticated Symbian titles right now.

Another good reasons why Apple always excel in the mobile market competition; iron grip on its iOS and App Store policy, and hopefully this will answer many complains on why Apple has been considered as a "d!ck" when it comes to apps in App Store. One particular remark was made by Android VP of engineering Vic Gundotra during Google I/O event: ?Draconian future, a future where one man, one company, one device, one carrier would be our only choice.?

Vic forgot to mentioned something important though.. that's what he (and Google) don't want, but perhaps that's what we actually want..

Well, except for the part: "one carrier", we don't want that too.. LOL
  • Reply 26 of 96
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross;

The reason why no one guessed that the ALUMINUM shell would double, is that it's NOT Aluminum. It's STAINLESS STEEL.

Sheesh! I really don't mind his nutty opinions, but when he gets the simplest, basic facts wrong...

The shell was originally reported as being aluminum. Even the Gizmodo teardown of the stolen phone said it was aluminum.

Which is, as the article states, no one guessed...
  • Reply 27 of 96
    neondietneondiet Posts: 44member
    No one seems to have thought about the benefit this will bring to Sat Nav apps. My Tomtom doesn't always do a great job of tracking satellite signals in major cities where tall buildings temporarily get in the way or I have to go through a tunnel. In this situation it tries to guess where/how I'm moving to keep me at the right point on the map, but usually does a poor job of it. Adding gyro data to the mix on an iPhone should improve accuracy enormously.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Awesome, now I can finally play roll-the-ball-through-the-maze with pin point accuracy!

Unfortunately I've already finished the three and a half thousand variations of the game, so I hope developers release a few thousand more clones specifically designed for the iPhone4!
  • Reply 29 of 96
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    The gyroscope measures the variation of what is called the angular momentum. It can also complement the GPS when the reception is poor, or between two sample points, because it is basically an analog process, thus continuous, whereas the GPS works digitally and thus by bursts. So it is useful at high speeds, when the sample period between two GPS points correspond to a significant displacement. Maybe will be able to take aerial photography with just an iPhone (camera + IMS)?

I wonder what is the sensitivity of this gyro and how it is done. I heard about MEMs gyro, maybe this is one?
  • Reply 30 of 96
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Yeah, like with dual-microphone for noise cancellation and with a decent high-resolution screen?

I take it by decent, you mean those AMOLED (awful in daylight) screens where

RG BG = two pixels (one red-green and one blue-green)

versus the correct

RGB RGB = two pixels.

AMOLED isn't really the resolution they profess it to.

A pixel (when made up of subpixels) has to be capable of showing ALL THREE primary colours, otherwise what's the point.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Awesome, now I can finally play roll-the-ball-through-the-maze with pin point accuracy!

Unfortunately I've already finished the three and a half thousand variations of the game, so I hope developers release a few thousand more clones specifically designed for the iPhone4!

Kudos, very clever and to the point.

Well put, however, you obviously don't have a job?
  • Reply 32 of 96
    I honestly couldn't care less about "motion games".

All I want is a true turn-based AD&D style RPG a la Might and Magic World of Xeen (best game ever made for the Mac). Something with a party of 6 with all the classes, races and genders, leveling up to lvl. 100 reaching "God" mode... etc. etc. etc... None of this 3D crawler shit or single player RPG like Diablo or Real-time battles like Baldur's Gate... I want a turn-based party-based AD&D RPG, damnit!!!! Does any exist, for iPhone or for iPad? For Mac? Do I have to buy a legacy Mac to play something like Xeen again? Isn't there a market for these oldskool RPGs?
  • Reply 33 of 96
    eauviveeauvive Posts: 237member
    A modern version of Gauntlet II™ maybe? "Green elf shot the food!"
  • Reply 34 of 96
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    no question Apple is pushing the state of the art in mobile games today. the contrast with the new DSI 3D is interesting. reportedly it works and is impressive, but you are still looking at a picture in a fixed screen and frame of reference, albeit a 3D one. whereas the iPhone can immerse you within that game in real 360 degree "sphere" space. how that actually works out we will have to see ...

(and as to the Wii, Kinect, and Move, what happens to your game if you ever turn your back to the TV screen? well ... you don't know, do you?)

but that said, the real consumer breakthrough of iPhone gaming is the low prices. at $5 or so a pop - the price of a pint of beer these days - you don't mind buying games to see if you will like them. if not, no big deal. you didn't waste $25 or more - the price of a dinner. so you are willing to experiment more. which is great for both consumers (especially parents) and developers. this is also what is killing Nintendo and Sony profits, because selling those overpriced games was how they made lots of money. now, that's over.
  • Reply 35 of 96
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

but that said, the real consumer breakthrough of iPhone gaming is the low prices. at $5 or so a pop - the price of a pint of beer these days - you don't mind buying games to see if you will like them. if not, no big deal. you didn't waste $25 or more - the price of a dinner. so you are willing to experiment more. which is great for both consumers (especially parents) and developers. this is also what is killing Nintendo and Sony profits, because selling those overpriced games was how they made lots of money. now, that's over.

If you have purchased that game for you Wii, or XBox, or PS3 on disc, and you don't like, or once you have finished it, you can sell it. Now with digital distributed games how do you do that?
  • Reply 36 of 96
    ashjashj Posts: 2member
    You know the 3DS has one don't you?
  • Reply 37 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

The shell was originally reported as being aluminum. Even the Gizmodo teardown of the stolen phone said it was aluminum.

Which is, as the article states, no one guessed...

However, this article was written after the presentation that corrected it, I'm not seeing where the mistake should stand and also be repeated. I didn't know the Giz were trying to call it aluminum, I was trying to avoid it for the most part. I might have corrected it, the luster is not right for aluminum anyway, and it's too thin to be durable if it were aluminum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neondiet View Post

No one seems to have thought about the benefit this will bring to Sat Nav apps. My Tomtom doesn't always do a great job of tracking satellite signals in major cities where tall buildings temporarily get in the way or I have to go through a tunnel. In this situation it tries to guess where/how I'm moving to keep me at the right point on the map, but usually does a poor job of it. Adding gyro data to the mix on an iPhone should improve accuracy enormously.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I wasn't sure there was a common non-game use for the gyro, I thought of a few niche uses. Even then, I don't like playing games where I have to turn the display.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

I take it by decent, you mean those AMOLED (awful in daylight) screens where

RG BG = two pixels (one red-green and one blue-green)

versus the correct

RGB RGB = two pixels.

AMOLED isn't really the resolution they profess it to.

A pixel (when made up of subpixels) has to be capable of showing ALL THREE primary colours, otherwise what's the point.

I wouldn't go so far as that. What you call "incorrect" is probably a Bayer pattern, at least it sounds similar. It follows the human vision profile more closely, our eyes see green in better detail than any other color. Many, if not most of our non-computer video and photo standards drop half the blue and half the red detail, and most people don't notice. Green is close to luminance so it's better information for the image encoder. This is why most cameras use the Bayer pattern, which, incidentally, cameras are even worse about pixel counting, each "pixel" is usually just one photo site with one color sensor cell, not three. If you want to detect a different color, you go to the next pixel.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If you have purchased that game for you Wii, or XBox, or PS3 on disc, and you don't like, or once you have finished it, you can sell it. Now with digital distributed games how do you do that?

more than likely you'll be at least $5 out of pocket even after that.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    I have been hearing alot about the Apple 4. But which mobile is better iPhone4, google android or HTC? Which mobile phone has the best games for it?
  • Reply 40 of 96
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chase.salva View Post

I have been hearing alot about the Apple 4. But which mobile is better iPhone4, google android or HTC? Which mobile phone has the best games for it?

When it comes to games the iPhone has a clear lead over Android phones.

It's advantages are

- faster GPU-hardware

- mature and better optimized OpenGL drivers and video subsystem

- more and matured games from nearby all major (mobile) game publishers and a pretty healthy community of small and independent labels.

- more precise and responsive touch-screen, accelerometers and gyroscopes for better game play control