Inside iPhone 4: Gyro spins Apple ahead in gaming

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

more than likely you'll be at least $5 out of pocket even after that.

And if you don't like your digitally distributed game you are 100% of the purchase price out of pocket.
  • Reply 42 of 96
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Steel shell, not "aluminum" (sic).

That is the correct US spelling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The reason why no one guessed that the ALUMINUM shell would double, is that it's NOT Aluminum. It's STAINLESS STEEL.

Sheesh! I really don't mind his nutty opinions, but when he gets the simplest, basic facts wrong...

Do you have a substantive point - e.g., how does that invalidate the larger points in the article? And, why are his opinions 'nutty'?
  • Reply 43 of 96
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company had earlier used accelerometers in its notebooks as "Sudden Motion Sensors" in order to park the hard drive in anticipation of hitting the floor, to avoid hard drive damage related to a drop.

Robert White filed a patent on this in 1977. ?Shock force compensating system,? U.S. Patent 4,040,103. Plus IBM actually implemented this on their Thinkpads at the same that Apple did.

Go Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 96
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chase.salva View Post

I have been hearing alot about the Apple 4. But which mobile is better iPhone4, google android or HTC? Which mobile phone has the best games for it?

Only the most devout Fandroid will tell you Android is better for games + apps.

It's a clear win for iPhone, iPhone 4 and iOS 4 only extends that lead.
  • Reply 45 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And if you don't like your digitally distributed game you are 100% of the purchase price out of pocket.

I think his point is that the amount you're out by reselling the physical media on competing systems is about the amount you're out if you bought the digital item in the Apple store. The fact that you get $15 back on a $20 item washes out if the same thing is $5 in the Apple store.
  • Reply 46 of 96
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The reason why no one guessed that the ALUMINUM shell would double, is that it's NOT Aluminum. It's STAINLESS STEEL.

Sheesh! I really don't mind his nutty opinions, but when he gets the simplest, basic facts wrong...

''Nothing about the new Retina Display was leaked apart from the fact that the new phone appeared to have a much higher resolution display, something everyone expected anyway. Leaks only assumed the presence of an A4 brain and faster 802.11n WiFi. Additionally, nobody guessed that the aluminum shell would double as an antenna system for WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS and 3G. The leak also didn't anticipate any details of Apple's standards-based FaceTime video calling.''

As a Global Moderator your appreciation of accurate semantics clearly lags behind your insatiable thirst for petty and wholly personal dismissal of a credible tech writer and analyst.

A Moderator's innocuous moderator.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I honestly couldn't care less about "motion games".

All I want is a true turn-based AD&D style RPG a la Might and Magic World of Xeen (best game ever made for the Mac). Something with a party of 6 with all the classes, races and genders, leveling up to lvl. 100 reaching "God" mode... etc. etc. etc... None of this 3D crawler shit or single player RPG like Diablo or Real-time battles like Baldur's Gate... I want a turn-based party-based AD&D RPG, damnit!!!! Does any exist, for iPhone or for iPad? For Mac? Do I have to buy a legacy Mac to play something like Xeen again? Isn't there a market for these oldskool RPGs?

+1 here
  • Reply 48 of 96
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Good article! Though I must say I cant see many games behaving like the one Jobs used to demonstrate the technology! Most of the time people can?t be spinning around. Probably the greatest benefit for games will be the greater accuracy in movement detection. In theory (dependent on the sensitivity) the best applications will be in navigation and augmented reality. If it is precise (though probably not high enough), it would be possible to track a person?s movements in an complete 3d environment, for example it could determine in which floor you are - you would still need a map of that environment of course. I think we are going to see some really cool applications in the near future.
  • Reply 49 of 96
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

Not the first article to reference the non-existent aluminum "shell" or "frame" - gotta keep them honest!

• Reply 50 of 96
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Thanks for the very good information.
  • Reply 51 of 96
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think his point is that the amount you're out by reselling the physical media on competing systems is about the amount you're out if you bought the digital item in the Apple store. The fact that you get $15 back on a $20 item washes out if the same thing is $5 in the Apple store.

Another Point: You buy it once, play it on all devices, and supported by future versions of the hardware with incremental software upgrades. This is far more economical then the console titles. Also GameStop is a ripppp

As always, great article Mr D.E.D!
  • Reply 52 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Stainless steel is a steel alloy, aluminum is a metal. This is why people get confused. They see 'alloy' and think "aluminum". Whereas all 'alloy' means is that it's a combination of a few metallic elements - sometimes two. I used to work with steel and was confused by this until I looked into it. Alloy means: combination.

If in doubt use a magnet. Some steels are non-magnetic, but stainless isn't one of them. Magnets will stick to the new iPhone 4.
  • Reply 53 of 96
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you have a substantive point - e.g., how does that invalidate the larger points in the article? And, why are his opinions 'nutty'?

Probably because if Microsoft or Google had announced the gyro coming to their smart phones, this article would have been arguing how much of a gimic it was. He would have mentioned how they were just trying to copy Nintendo's success with the Wii. He would have put more stress on how much of a failure Sony's attempt to push motion controls with the SixAxis motion controller despite being available since launch. That the controller was so much a failure, Sony went back to the drawing board when it attempted to ape Nintendo a second time and created a brand new controller instead of even trying to incorporate the SixAxis into the system. He would have been lauding Apple for sticking to things that all games can benefit from like the improved screen resolution, faster processor and faster wi-fi for multiplayer games.

Because with him, everything Apple does is perfect and everything a competitor does is crap.
  • Reply 54 of 96
    senjazsenjaz Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EauVive View Post

A modern version of Gauntlet II? maybe? "Green elf shot the food!"

Right after yellow wizard needs food badly.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Nobody here mentionned anything about Apple using the gyroscope as a Super Optical Image Stabilizer, to get jitter-free 720p video and clear photographs.

That's what I'm most excited about for this gyroscope. Being able to use the HD camcorder with professionnal results.

Anyway, I hope they thought about it when creating the camcorder and camera apps!!!
  • Reply 56 of 96
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonMTL View Post

Nobody here mentionned anything about Apple using the gyroscope as a Super Optical Image Stabilizer, to get jitter-free 720p video and clear photographs.

That's what I'm most excited about for this gyroscope. Being able to use the HD camcorder with professionnal results.

Anyway, I hope they thought about it when creating the camcorder and camera apps!!!

ARGH NOOOOO YOU BEAT ME TO ITTTTTT And just the post before mine.

But seriously. Great minds think alike. This gyro stuff is crucially needed for STABILISATION on HD 720p video as well as VIDEO CALLING. If you notice the oh-so-heartwarming video call ad, has some really, really shaky video on the iPhone 4 itself. "Honey, could ya hold the phone steady for a second, jeez, I can't see nothin' here"

I expect iOS 4.5, at the latest, to have full Apple-app "optical" (gyro) stabilisation for photos, videos and FaceTime.

Well, you guys (and gals, if any) heard it first from SimonMTL and moi.

Steve: "The iPhone4 takes some of the best pictures and HD video of any smartphone. And now, get super-smooth, awwwesome, shake-free photos, high-def videos and FaceTime video calling. Next time you go on vacation, you might not even want to take any other camera or video camera..."

Next, Steve will go on to explain how Apple reinvented image stabilisation and it will be submitted as a new MPEG standard or something. By the end of this short segment of the keynote you'll be so RDF'd you'll wonder how life was possible before the Apple iGyro and forget Sony and Canon et al. even existed.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
  • Reply 58 of 96
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonMTL View Post

As I mentioned Apple will come round to it in several months. In the meantime, I hope (there probably will be) there are devs out there working on some great photo and video apps and use the gyro for stabilisation.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walney View Post

Errr not quite... some grades of stainless steel are magnetic and some not (for example, the fascia of my fridge and microwave are, but not the fascia of the cooker, any of the handles or the cutlery in my drawer).

Correct, though if there is a magnetic effect in the stainless, it is usually lighter.
  • Reply 60 of 96
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashj View Post

You know the 3DS has one don't you?

Did you read the article?