ipod touch 4?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, I'm buying a laptop for college and apple has the free ipod touch with a computer deal going right now. Is it possible that the ipod touch 4 will be released while this offer is going on, and that I should wait to buy the computer until then? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post

Okay, I'm buying a laptop for college and apple has the free ipod touch with a computer deal going right now. Is it possible that the ipod touch 4 will be released while this offer is going on, and that I should wait to buy the computer until then? Any suggestions would be helpful.

For the current deal look directly at Apples published terms. Otis always better to get answers from the horses mouth. Expiration of the deal should be clearly stated.

As to your Touch 4, the iPods are normally update in Sept or Oct. Nothing isset in stone,at least publically. As for Touch i see Apple taking these guys in a different direction than the iPhone. The basic model will update but I suspect more gaming oriented models on the way. I'm also expecting an iPad update around October or November. If apple does all of these together I would lean to late October for the iPod updates.

As to a computer purchase always hold off till you really need it. That way you get the newest possible hardware along with as much warranty coverage during your time in school. The gotcha here is the assumption you are familiar with Apple hardware. If not then an early purchase is reccomended to learn the ins and outs. One thing you don't want to have to do is to learn to use your computer the first few weeks of school.

In the end itall revolves around expiration dates and how much a Touch device means to you. Frankly a Touch is a very handy device indeed.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxdakota View Post

This ipod touch 4th generation rumour comes along with another one which says that there is more than enough space at the back of the Touch for Apple to fit in a camera but they are not doing so as they do not want to start eating into the market share of the iPhone.

They are only rumors, but the word is that you can use the iPhone 4 to make cell phone calls. I understand that this is not a feature of the iPod touch. I could be wrong, but it my understanding that virtually 100% of iPhone customers believe that removing the telephone feature is a deal breaker. If this is the case, then there no danger of the iPod touch cannibalizing iPhone 4 sales.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    tanimaltanimal Posts: 2member
    Just to clarify, I do already have an 8gb 2nd gen touch with 3rd gen software, I mainly just want more space. The website says you get a free 8gb touch, but it really just means you get a $200 rebate on any ipod. I guess I probably will wait. I don't really have a use for the thing right now, just a bit anxious to play with a new toy.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post

Just to clarify, I do already have an 8gb 2nd gen touch with 3rd gen software, I mainly just want more space. The website says you get a free 8gb touch, but it really just means you get a $200 rebate on any ipod. I guess I probably will wait. I don't really have a use for the thing right now, just a bit anxious to play with a new toy.

More so Toshiba just annonced the are putting higher density memory modules into production in September and October. So it looks like Apple will have components to upgrade the current designs with. Of course the likely hood is that the Touch gets a complete overhaul so what goes into that machine is anybodies guess.

Also note that Touch, that is the current Touch iPod, has the goal of being Apples lowcost path to its handheld computers. So I expect that we will continue to have one cheap iPod Touch but the model with the maximum Flash storage will likely go up in price. That mostly due to Flash prices stabilizing. I could also see Apple expanding the Touch devices line up as well as giving the iPad a performance boost.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 21
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    In past years this offer always ends a day or two before the new model. As far as I can tell it's a stock clearance policy....

Depends if the money or the toy is more important to you.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

In past years this offer always ends a day or two before the new model. As far as I can tell it's a stock clearance policy....

Apple has been so successful in the kast few years with this promotion that it can't rationally be called a stock clearance. I say that because they have to ramp production to meet demand. Frankly an iPod Touch could be considered extremely valuable to an incoming college student thus the attractiveness of the promotion.

Quote:

Depends if the money or the toy is more important to you.

Well money is always a factor but then immediately after the new iPods debut you can find the old on discount. Characterizing a Touch though as a toy is a big mistake in my mind. The device is or can be extremely useful for the average college student. Especially one that does not want the expense of an iPhone but still want something to keep organized with.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Since at least 2005, September has always been the "iPod month." I'd expect minor revisions this year to the classic, nano and shuffle, while the fourth-generation iPod touch will probably gain the build quality and design of the iPhone 4, but with up to 64 GB of storage, no camera and potentially no front-facing camera, either.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

while the fourth-generation iPod touch will probably gain the build quality and design of the iPhone 4, but with up to 64 GB of storage, no camera and potentially no front-facing camera, either.

I'm guessing that the next Touch will be redesigned along the lines of the latest iPhone but with the unibody construction, making it essentially a baby iPad. I'm also picking that we'll get the new retina display but no memory bump this year ... and maybe a 5-6 inch big brother too. The buzz around the retina display alone will be enough to get people to buy so the improvements will feature further down the track.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nzcatfood View Post

I'm guessing that the next Touch will be redesigned along the lines of the latest iPhone but with the unibody construction, making it essentially a baby iPad. I'm also picking that we'll get the new retina display but no memory bump this year ... and maybe a 5-6 inch big brother too. The buzz around the retina display alone will be enough to get people to buy so the improvements will feature further down the track.

A 4-5'' portable? To fit between the iPod touch and iPad? I can't see that happening at all, as I feel Apple already has too many of these niche portables.

The way it is now, the "hierarchy" of sorts is iPod touch -> iPhone -> iPad, although some might argue the iPhone is far more useful than the iPad.

And every generation of the iPod touch so far has seen a storage bump, and every generation of the iPod touch has always been available in higher capacities than the iPhone, which is why I really believe there will be at least a 64 GB model. Not to mention it'd be a regression for Apple to get rid of it.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

A 4-5'' portable? To fit between the iPod touch and iPad? I can't see that happening at all, as I feel Apple already has too many of these niche portables.

Your first problem is seeing iPods as niche devices. The second thing something almost as portable as the Touch but with a larger screen is wanted by alot of people right now. The idea is to corner the size of a paper back book.

This would make for an excellent ebook reader Yet would provide for all the features of an iPod Touch.

Quote:

The way it is now, the "hierarchy" of sorts is iPod touch -> iPhone -> iPad, although some might argue the iPhone is far more useful than the iPad.

Sadly this is BS. Above you associate three products that serve entirely different markets. There is no overlap at all.

Quote:

And every generation of the iPod touch so far has seen a storage bump, and every generation of the iPod touch has always been available in higher capacities than the iPhone, which is why I really believe there will be at least a 64 GB model. Not to mention it'd be a regression for Apple to get rid of it.

Generally that is what happens and to give you further support Toshiba has announced new devices becoming available just about the time for the new iPods to debut later this year.

However nothing is written in stone. With it's new tech Apple could decide to shrink the Touch a bit to make it more compact. Or they could decide a really fat battery would make for much better gaming on the currently sized device. Speaking of which they could also lower the cost of the current Touch, to keep it as primarily a music playback device and then come out with a gaming optimized Touch device.

I just don't believe the iPod division in general has concrete product line ups that will not change for years at a time. They are much more aggressive than the Mac division.

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 21
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    so will their be a itouch 4 with wifi face to face calling included ???

maybe a 128g model ??

i would love to own this over a ATT iphone 4

apple makes more pure profit on a ipod touch than it does on the iphone 4..

hmmm i want the 4 right now

i also want a hyper upgraded touch

• Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

so will their be a itouch 4 with wifi face to face calling included ???

As more and more info becomes available with respect to FaceTime it looks like it will be possible. At least it doesn't seem impossible technically. I don't see Apple adding the hardware though. In the end it depends upon where Apple wants to take the Touch.

Quote:

maybe a 128g model ??

It is possible.

Quote:

i would love to own this over a ATT iphone 4

Yeah but having that phone feature is a big win.

Quote:

apple makes more pure profit on a ipod touch than it does on the iphone 4..

Not really. Infact I think it is just the opposite.

Quote:

hmmm i want the 4 right now

i also want a hyper upgraded touch

Looks like you need to wait to see what Apple comesup with.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I predict it will be just like the iPhone 4, slightly thinner, all aluminum back with very slightly rounded edges, front camera but no rear camera, and of course no cellular data. Probably no GPS. When I have time I'll do a mockup.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As more and more info becomes available with respect to FaceTime it looks like it will be possible. At least it doesn't seem impossible technically. I don't see Apple adding the hardware though. In the end it depends upon where Apple wants to take the Touch.

It is possible.

Yeah but having that phone feature is a big win.

Not really. Infact I think it is just the opposite.

Looks like you need to wait to see what Apple comesup with.

Dave

well maybe i should wait until november verizon rumours and or a new touch super wifi 4

i have waited 36 months already

• Reply 15 of 21
    He's got it. Apple did this a few years back...released new iPods (I believe they were G2 Touches, upgraded not long after iPhone 2 at WWDC) shortly before the BTS sale eneded and they were specifically excluded from the deal. I suspect that they preferred to steer away from that scenario, as they've since released iPods later in the fall. Mrtotes is right when he says its a clearance tactic.

I've thought about this myself and it seems like your best bet will simply be to accept yer free Touch and keep it in the box for a few weeks. If they release something in September that you're really jonesing for, eBay or trade-in the new Touch and just make up the difference. It prob. wont' be free, but I'd think you could get at least 75-80% of the value back and that's nothing to scoff at.

Small Dog Electronics has a nifty iPod Trade-in Program. Don't know what they'd give you for a sealed, new-in-box model, but maybe you could swing a deal.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teejaysplace24 View Post

He's got it. Apple did this a few years back...released new iPods (I believe they were G2 Touches, upgraded not long after iPhone 2 at WWDC) shortly before the BTS sale eneded and they were specifically excluded from the deal. I suspect that they preferred to steer away from that scenario, as they've since released iPods later in the fall. Mrtotes is right when he says its a clearance tactic.

I see this all the time and I have to say it is BS. BTS is a marketing program, nothing more or less. The fact is Apple has increased production in the past to meet BTS demand, you don't do that for a clearance sale. Further Apple is well respected in the industry for having very tight control over the supply chain, they will at most only have a couple of weeks inventory.

Apple seldom over produces an item that doesn't sell causing a need for clearance sales. Trying to equate BTS with a clearance sale is simply a bit twisted.

Quote:

I've thought about this myself and it seems like your best bet will simply be to accept yer free Touch and keep it in the box for a few weeks. If they release something in September that you're really jonesing for, eBay or trade-in the new Touch and just make up the difference. It prob. wont' be free, but I'd think you could get at least 75-80% of the value back and that's nothing to scoff at.

Small Dog Electronics has a nifty iPod Trade-in Program. Don't know what they'd give you for a sealed, new-in-box model, but maybe you could swing a deal.

For a student another thing to consider is a late fall bump to the laptops. It might mean going through a month or two with no laptop though, probably not advisable these days. BTS is certainly one of Apples better marketing plans as it gives you modest discounts, in effect, on recently refreshed laptops. So taking advantage of it and then selling the iPod makes good sense.

Normally, but this year there is that potential for a more significant update to Touch. The potential for A4, the high res screen and a few other features is there. So is the possibility of a price jump at the upper end. I could see Apple splitting the line into an extreme low end model and a set of more expensive models. The idea being to lower the entry point to the world of Touch devices. A far more powerful family of Touch devices gets slotted between this device and the iPads. The idea being to protect from encroachment from the bottom up from other manufactures.

I just see a major overhaul coming to the iPod line up. Especially if they are serious about streaming, we could see WiFi on even more iPods with a simplified touch interface on these devices too. Of course rumors indicate they are far from being ready with streaming. In the end a lot of things add up to the potential for a very interesting iPod September.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Apple has been so successful in the kast few years with this promotion that it can't rationally be called a stock clearance. I say that because they have to ramp production to meet demand. Frankly an iPod Touch could be considered extremely valuable to an incoming college student thus the attractiveness of the promotion.

Well money is always a factor but then immediately after the new iPods debut you can find the old on discount. Characterizing a Touch though as a toy is a big mistake in my mind. The device is or can be extremely useful for the average college student. Especially one that does not want the expense of an iPhone but still want something to keep organized with.

I meant toy as it gadget; in no way do I think the iPod touch is under equipped to be a serious business tool (perhaps except Apple's failure to include syncing of OS X ToDos from iCal!) Some people will just value the device for what it can do (any iOS device will do as a great "PDA"), some people love the toy (need to have the latest and greatest).

I'm a professional engineer and used an iPod touch as my main organizer Oct 07 - Jul 09 until the 3GS took over the task. Actually my wife is a primary school teacher and as an educational buyer she qualified for this scheme too (cheekily, I got to benefit from the iPod touch).

Do you know they ramp demand as a fact? That intrigues me because this offer puts last years model into the hands of a lot of Mac users. Buy and Mac and get a free end of line product is great, buy a Mac and get the latest and greatest iPod would be awesome. If Apple ramp demand and charge the same for new models why not just flog the new ones?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I meant toy as it gadget; in no way do I think the iPod touch is under equipped to be a serious business tool (perhaps except Apple's failure to include syncing of OS X ToDos from iCal!) Some people will just value the device for what it can do (any iOS device will do as a great "PDA"), some people love the toy (need to have the latest and greatest).

I see iOS devices being far more than PDA replacements. The current iPhone is arguably a more powerful machine than more that half of the computers i've ever owned. I can actually see a good portion of people running their entire businesses on such a device with a PC becoming a back up device. This would especially be the case for contractors and the like in the field which at this point only requires software development.

Quote:

I'm a professional engineer and used an iPod touch as my main organizer Oct 07 - Jul 09 until the 3GS took over the task. Actually my wife is a primary school teacher and as an educational buyer she qualified for this scheme too (cheekily, I got to benefit from the iPod touch).

Hey that gives me an idea, marry a school teacher and save money on your Apple hardware.

Quote:

Do you know they ramp demand as a fact?

I've seen mention of such several times. In any event if one looks at sales during this promotion and considers how tight Apple controls its supply channel i find this possibility to be very real. For one thing the promotion goes on for more weeks than they have in channel normally.

Quote:

That intrigues me because this offer puts last years model into the hands of a lot of Mac users. Buy and Mac and get a free end of line product is great, buy a Mac and get the latest and greatest iPod would be awesome. If Apple ramp demand and charge the same for new models why not just flog the new ones?

Because the new ones aren't ready maybe? Or maybe the goal is to move laptops for back to school and the iPods are there to sweeten the deal. Considering the success of back to school for Apple i think they have found a good combo to promote. Besides all of this why would you discount a new product that is likely to have high demand out of the gate?

Another way to think about this is razor blades. Each iPod in the hands of a user generates sales on iTunes and app store. These sales could be likened to razor blades that plug into your below cost handle. Thus back to school promos give Apple nrw long term customers.

In the end there are lots of ways to look at this but whatever Apples true goal is the program seems to work for them.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Hey that gives me an idea, marry a school teacher and save money on your Apple hardware.

That saving, and the proposed £150 tax relief for married couples from the new government, and we'll have paid off the wedding by the time we retire.

// even more off topic...

As an 'employee' of HM Goverment I'm entitled to Apple discounts anyhow but not this specific offer. (http://promo.euro.apple.com/epp/gov/uk/).

Microsoft serve me even better with (full, legal) Office 2008 costing £8.95.

// back on topic...

I suppose actually giving many people an 'old' iOS device for free gets them into the eco-system. Once you've made a few (video/app) purchases on the iTS and get to know the interface, the iPhone and iPad will look like attractive updates a year later.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Gruber says dual cameras and Retina Display, and I'm inclined to believe him.

Given the interest in iPhone filmmaking, I think the iPod Touch's 64GB RAM will be very useful.

The Touch offers a separate device from your phone that doesn't have to be disconnected when it rings.

The number of video and audio accessories available will be huge.

For the first time since the QuickTake, Apple has entered the Camera wars, albeit through the back door.