Apple updates MobileMe, releases Find My iPhone app

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I really do wonder why there are now two clicks to switch applications.

I think it has a much to do with cleaning up the toolbar, as it does to make room for more apps in the future - like an iWork web-app for example.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's fine, too, especially since you keep it encrypted. Keychain Access is also stored as an encrypted file and offers a password generator, in case one isn't aware. What do you use to keep the file encrypted?

I agree that 1Password can be confusing and the app itself does have some wonky aspects to it. I've tried it a couple times before it finally clicked that I need and love this app. Once you get the hang of it it really does make things easier and more secure. Your method, which I used to use, makes things more secure but doesn't have the added measure of making it easier to add the username and password to a website. Luckily, the time I was using the demo again fell within the time Daring Fireball was sponsored by them and was able to get half off.

I have used 1password for two or three years and depend on it. The iPhone version is a bit of a pain as it uses its own browser. The OSX version is fantastic. You have to stay on top of it and make sure you don't auto generate passwords you may need from a third party computer - you'll never in a million years remember what 1password generates.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think it has a much to do with cleaning up the toolbar, as it does to make room for more apps in the future - like an iWork web-app for example.

Well, that was my suspicion as well (see my earlier post) ... otherwise it would be a waste of screen-space - something other companies like to do, but (usually!) not Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:

Maybe - but a step backwards in my opinion. It should at least be an optional thing. Minimizing clicks and mouse movements is important - not just for speed an usability but also for arm/hand health.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

So, the find my iPhone feature is great and all, but I'm so obsessed with my iPhone that I never misplace it so I don't end up using it much. Now if Apple were to release "Find My Wallet" or "Find My Keys" I could see getting a lot of use out of that!

Apple should definitely sell tiny stick on GPS widgets for keys, wallets, TV remotes that can be tracked, OMG that would be awesome

I also need the 'why did I walk into this room?' feature.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Quote:

I can understand stuffe's position even though I don't care for the way he stated it.

I have used every single one of those web-apps at times. With the advent of the iPhone this really hasn't been needed as I get all these things on my iPhone which is almost always on me.

There may be some people at work who use it to connect with their Mac's info at home or some people simply don't like the native apps for Windows and Mac OS for Mail, Calendar and Contacts. These web apps might only be used by the minority but I am sure they are used, even if just a last resort option by most.

By saying they have "zero" need you make it an absolute which is absolutely untrue because, I, a MobileMe user do have a need for the web apps.

Ah well, by saying zero I get to see who here has their knickers in a twist. Of course I know it's not zero, really. What I want Apple to do though is to make this service free, so we can keep all our Apple devices in sync, all of us, very easily. Only when a service like this is free will it be truly seamless. I hope they have the sense to make that happen this year, as I think users will love it and Apple will be able to use this to sell hardware. So everyone benefits from it.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If they advertised that it could be used to track folks, the privacy folks would be screaming foul.

So they only mention 'if you lose your iDevice' and let the shady shadies think up the rest.

Yet Verizon advertise on TV a lot with an ad showing a woman tracking her daughter as she leaves the Mall ... They infer AT&T would not be good enough to be considered for such an important task. So your theory seems not to apply in Verizon's case. And why is the ability to track a family member when required shady? I don't get all the comments about privacy. If your wife wants to cheat I assume she'd switch of the track my iPhone feature. Mind you I know a guy who wanted to borrow my iPhone to make certain calls as his wife checks his (I said no!). I guess I am just an innocent. LOL
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Maybe - but a step backwards in my opinion. It should at least be an optional thing. Minimizing clicks and mouse movements is important - not just for speed an usability but also for arm/hand health.

It's all about compromise. There's no silver bullet. As more buttons get added the toolbar becomes a (as Gizmodo likes to say) "clusterfuck". Apple decided they didn't want that to happen and chose an extra click over too many buttons on the toolbar. Besides, something like contacts and find me phone aren't used all that often. I think there decision was a correct one - even if I don't see the need for me.com - besides backups.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Joking aside, does anyone else find it bizarre that Apple has released a widescreen mail layout for MobileMe before offering it in Mail.app? Letterbox is great, but it would be better if it was a built-in feature.

They do one thing at a time, that's Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    This is probably totally off topic, but I find it interesting that my company blocks every web mail app I can think of (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL), but I can get to my MobileMe mail with no problem.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:

Furthermore, i'd like them to re-add the Bookmarks option to MobileMe. This is what I most often want to use when I access some foreign computer and wish to bring up a saved website. I'd rather log in to MobileMe to access it then have to type the address in manually by looking at my iPhone or having to Google search keywords until I find the correct site.

I agree, bookmarks needs a front-end for backups. I don't agree with mimicking Safari though.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wow, this is not only not impressive it's got some serious bugs.

I just tried it on my iPhone 3Gs, while sitting in my office with the 3Gs in my hand and my iPad on the desk in front of me. It failed to find the iPhone 3Gs in my hand or the iPad on the desk, but it *did* find my iPhone 3G (it says), even though my 3G is turned off and in a box in a closet back at home.

What's worse, is the location it gives for my old 3G that it "found" is actually the location of my partner's phone in another town! Now that phone is a 3Gs not a 3G and is not even on my MobileMe account (they have their own completely separate account paid for with a different Visa, different name etc.).

So the MobileMe service not only failed to find my gear, it inadvertently gave me information on someone else's phone, mixing it up with my phone which is a different model on a different account. That's an astounding failure and a security breach as well.

How could anyone trust this feature if it can do that?

It took about 15 minutes and several tries for it to find my iPhone, but it eventually found it. However, I never got the email that is supposed to accompany the message that I sent to the phone.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

It's all about compromise. There's no silver bullet. As more buttons get added the toolbar becomes a (as Gizmodo likes to say) "clusterfuck". Apple decided they didn't want that to happen and chose an extra click over too many buttons on the toolbar. Besides, something like contacts and find me phone aren't used all that often. I think there decision was a correct one - even if I don't see the need for me.com - besides backups.

Everybody is talking about 'cloud computing'. Microsoft offers cloud-based Office. I think Apple wants to make sure to be there in case this becomes important. With the new interface Apple prepared me.com for merging it with iWorks.com - and, I would say, also iTunes.com (formerly Lala)! Then there are 3 buttons already.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I also need the 'why did I walk into this room?' feature.

Now that would be awesome! \
  • Reply 55 of 63
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:

You think you're the majority, but you're the minority. Google doesn't do native apps like Apple does, Google doesn't sell computer hardware and don't have a PC operating system.

No, I don't think I was not advocating that the features that I use are the ones that everyone uses. Whether my usage falls into the more usual usage or not doesn't stop the fact that these web apps do have a use, and that I happen to be one for whom they are both useful and used.

The points about selling OS and hardware don't come into it. Both Google stuff and MobileMe are services which are accessible via standard desktops and mobile devices using native apps regardless of platform. Assuming that the gist of your statement was that because of this there is "zero" need for a middle "web" availability of those functions, then the same applies to Google. Just because one started as a web service that has since spread out, and the other started on the desktop and moved into the web shouldn't matter, they offer broadly similar functionality across the board. And there are usage requirements that can and are met by using the functionality across the whole spectrum of availability.

Quote:

Ah well, by saying zero I get to see who here has their knickers in a twist.

For what purpose? It doesn't advance your argument to make dubious statements that you know people will respond to.

Quote:

I can understand stuffe's position even though I don't care for the way he stated it.

Well, I didn't care for the original quote either, although I think at least my take was marginally less pointless

Quote:

I have used every single one of those web-apps at times. With the advent of the iPhone this really hasn't been needed as I get all these things on my iPhone which is almost always on me.

There may be some people at work who use it to connect with their Mac's info at home or some people simply don't like the native apps for Windows and Mac OS for Mail, Calendar and Contacts. These web apps might only be used by the minority but I am sure they are used, even if just a last resort option by most.

By saying they have "zero" need you make it an absolute which is absolutely untrue because, I, a MobileMe user do have a need for the web apps.

Furthermore, i'd like them to re-add the Bookmarks option to MobileMe. This is what I most often want to use when I access some foreign computer and wish to bring up a saved website. I'd rather log in to MobileMe to access it then have to type the address in manually by looking at my iPhone or having to Google search keywords until I find the correct site.

They could even use a nifty windowed aspect for sites with an Address Bar and Bookmarks Bar at the top to mimic the look and feel of Safari. If you were to go into Full Screen mode, as most browsers have, it could look almost identical to Safari with little effort.

Bookmarks and browser history/open tab syncing etc would be a very welcome addition.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I have used 1password for two or three years and depend on it. The iPhone version is a bit of a pain as it uses its own browser. The OSX version is fantastic. You have to stay on top of it and make sure you don't auto generate passwords you may need from a third party computer - you'll never in a million years remember what 1password generates.

I'd like them to be able to figure out a way to get it to sync the iPhone and Mac apps via the the iPod Dock connector. Using WiFi over an unsecured network to sync (which I do at my hotel), even if encrypted seems like a step backwards. I could setup an Ad-Hoc network with WEP for this particular usage, but I'm still setting it up so I'm syncing quite often still.

I'd also like some easier access if I do have to use a Windows computer, but I'm not sure how that would work and be secure.

Quote:

Ah well, by saying zero I get to see who here has their knickers in a twist. Of course I know it's not zero, really.

Hmm... you made a post that you knew wasn't accurate just get a heated response? Isn't that the very definition of trolling?

Quote:

What I want Apple to do though is to make this service free, so we can keep all our Apple devices in sync, all of us, very easily. Only when a service like this is free will it be truly seamless. I hope they have the sense to make that happen this year, as I think users will love it and Apple will be able to use this to sell hardware. So everyone benefits from it.

I don't want it to be free. Free services tend to be poorly supported and updated or have ads. I want none of these things.

What I would like to see (as the rumours has stated) is aspects of MobileMe be free to entice users. Maybe some basic syncing between PCs*, and backup of settings. Even though Time Machine as alleviated much of my need for the backup aspect, if both my Mac and TM drive get stolen this would indeed be useful to setting up another Mac quickly.

Things like Find My iPhone I would not make free. This is already a costly feature with carriers and great reason for users to upgrade from the rumoured, basic MobileMe option.

I'd also like them to mimic or buy Dropbox to replace iDisk. It's absolutely brilliant.

* PCs = Macs and Windows PCs using the Mobile Me manager app

Quote:

I agree, bookmarks needs a front-end for backups. I don't agree with mimicking Safari though.

The Safari idea was just put in because the former method was clunky and I have to assume they removed it for that reason. If they do read it would have to be revamped to match the current MM look, hence my idea. Other ideas are welcome.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Also it unifies the design from the desktop 'command+tab' to switch applications in OS X. But it works with the arrow keys in me.com
  • Reply 58 of 63
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It took about 15 minutes and several tries for it to find my iPhone, but it eventually found it. However, I never got the email that is supposed to accompany the message that I sent to the phone.

Hilarious.

I've done some testing in the interim and my situation is even worse than i originally thought.

Each iDevice I use "find my iPhone" on gives me a different result!

- my iPad thinks my iPhone is 50 miles north of where I actually am and driving down a highway.

- my iPhone still thinks it's found itself 20 miles to the south in a different town.

- the web client can't find my iPhone at all, but tells me my iPad "has location services disabled." (they are not).

Greeeaaat!

A real polished, usable system they have developed here. Not!

I tried getting help on it, but the chat-help has a 30 minute wait-time.

I'm sure glad I pay all that money for this service!
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

I'd like them to be able to figure out a way to get it to sync the iPhone and Mac apps via the the iPod Dock connector. Using WiFi over an unsecured network to sync (which I do at my hotel), even if encrypted seems like a step backwards. I could setup an Ad-Hoc network with WEP for this particular usage, but I'm still setting it up so I'm syncing quite often still.

I'd also like some easier access if I do have to use a Windows computer, but I'm not sure how that would work and be secure.

Hmmm. never thought about the synching issue. Not sure I am that concerned but then I don't move around very much, unlike you, perhaps. My data is important to me but hardly to anybody else so I am not THAT worried....

Why do you specify a Windows machine? Is there a trick if you use a third party Mac? When I use a third party machine I have to access the info from my iPhone and go all manual.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why do you specify a Windows machine? Is there a trick if you use a third party Mac? When I use a third party machine I have to access the info from my iPhone and go all manual.

If I am using a Mac, say from a family member or friend, I don't have my iPhone with me (even though that would be unusual) I can install 1Password on that Mac and grab my 1password backup from iDisk (or Dropbox, as I hear that is a popular option). Since there is no Windows version I'm stuck.

I guess I can save the file as text so I can access it anywhere so long as I have iDisk. Surely that is easier than installing 1Password on a foreign Mac. (I'll have to look into that)

edit: You can do a File » Export All in several way, including an encrypted webpage. I'm not sure I trust how secure that would be, but I can stick it in in a AES 256 bit encrypted Disk Image to store it on iDisk or Dropbox if I'm worried. The TXT file option is unencrypted and looks awful, but the Secure WebPage option looks like a web app for the iPhone. Make me wonder if I should even keep the 1Password app on my iPhone.