Apple asks FCC to keep iPhone 4 details under wraps

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    So what are Apple's plans for all the old iPhones? Are they encouraging people to recycle them? Resell them? Put them in a closet? With 600,000 iPhone 4's already pre-ordered, that's a lot of new electronic waste in the next week. Unfortunately, the third party selling market is going to be saturated like no other. Great time for someone on AT&T to pick up a cheap 3GS off-contract or 3G.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

So what are Apple's plans for all the old iPhones? Are they encouraging people to recycle them? Resell them? Put them in a closet? With 600,000 iPhone 4's already pre-ordered, that's a lot of new electronic waste in the next week. Unfortunately, the third party selling market is going to be saturated like no other. Great time for someone on AT&T to pick up a cheap 3GS off-contract or 3G.

I bought 3 day-1 iPhone 2Gs, then a 3G, then a 3GS, next week an iPhone 4.

Two of the original 2Gs were for phones for my daughter and me. The third was for development.

The next year I bought a 3G and offered the 2G to my (then) 12-year-old granddaughter in lieu of buying her a game boy... She chose the iPhone-- more, better & cheaper games.

Next year the same deal for my (then) 10-year old grandson...

So, in a family, old iPhones are excellent game machines. Any game you buy will run on at least 5 devices.

• Reply 43 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Your points are well taken!

But the supply issue is one that can and must be resolved within 3 months.

Possibly, Apple has been able to hide an Universal iPhone (Both CDMA and GSM with more bands) within the iPhone 4 (hence the FCC request)

Then, when supply catches up with demand, Apple would be able to offer the same iPhone 4 to a lot of additional countries, carriers and consumers.

In effect, Apple would have a single device that would be the "best in class" smartphone, offered on any network.

I'm not sure the supply issue can be handled in 3 months. Last year there were supply constraints up to the holidays in some countries. I recall Italy feeling the crunch at least into October. This year, the complete rollout of the current countries won't be complete until September. If iPhone sales history and current iPhone 4pre-orders selling out in the first day is any indication of the increasing demand we'll be hearing about supply issues into the holidays this year.

Another issue is the HW for a CDMA+GSM/3GSM phone. I have seen zero evidence that they exist in the quantities, size, power efficiency that Apple would need. On top of that, if Qualcomm gets their way they will be charging a percentage for each phone sale for licensing, which i don't think Apple would go for. Check out a "world mode" phone. Note that vendors aren't making all their phones use these chips because the cons far outweigh the pros for pretty much every customer's needs.

You mention it would be "best in class" if it had CDMA+GSM/3GSM but unless Apple has TARDIS technology I see absolutely no way to make that happen in today's iPhone. The only way to do it is with a separate device, but again, there would be supply chain issues until this came out after the 88 counties get their fill. Maybe after the holidays.

Furthermore, keeping the FCC data secret is standard practice. We've seen it every year and every year there are suggestions that it secretly contains CDMA components. We know that it has a penta-band UMTS radio. We know that it's only viable customer base is in Japan, on their largest carrier, NTT docomo. We know NTT docomo is nearly 2x as large T-Mobile USA, another prime option for expanding the 3GSM coverage with little effort.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not sure the supply issue can be handled in 3 months. Last year there were supply constraints up to the holidays in some countries. I recall Italy feeling the crunch at least into October. This year, the complete rollout of the current countries won't be complete until September. If iPhone sales history and current iPhone 4pre-orders selling out in the first day is any indication of the increasing demand we'll be hearing about supply issues into the holidays this year.

Another issue is the HW for a CDMA+GSM/3GSM phone. I have seen zero evidence that they exist in the quantities, size, power efficiency that Apple would need. On top of that, if Qualcomm gets their way they will be charging a percentage for each phone sale for licensing, which i don't think Apple would go for. Check out a "world mode" phone. Note that vendors aren't making all their phones use these chips because the cons far outweigh the pros for pretty much every customer's needs.

You mention it would be "best in class" if it had CDMA+GSM/3GSM but unless Apple has TARDIS technology I see absolutely no way to make that happen in today's iPhone. The only way to do it is with a separate device, but again, there would be supply chain issues until this came out after the 88 counties get their fill. Maybe after the holidays.

Furthermore, keeping the FCC data secret is standard practice. We've seen it every year and every year there are suggestions that it secretly contains CDMA components. We know that it has a penta-band UMTS radio. We know that it's only viable customer base is in Japan, on their largest carrier, NTT docomo. We know NTT docomo is nearly 2x as large T-Mobile USA, another prime option for expanding the 3GSM coverage with little effort.

Well, there you go, again... If you persist on using logic, we'll never have a meaningful discussion

I did google "world mode" phone, and found some articles, ca Nov 2009, that discussed a "world mode" iPhone with a smaller display.

This would suggest a Nano "world mode" iPhone. This would make some sense for India, Brazil and China. But, it wouldn't really be good for Sprint or Verizon... And, the timing is all wrong-- makes more sense, after the holidays.

Having observed Apple for 32 years, the way they would do something like a "world mode" iPhone, would to include the capability in a single model (rather than an additional model)... Then announce it as: "Oh, one more thing!" Then, later introduce a Nano model.

I did some grepping through the SDK and found quite a few hits on "CDMA". However, I don't, yet, know how to display these hits.

• Reply 45 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I did google "world mode" phone, and found some articles, ca Nov 2009, that discussed a "world mode" iPhone with a smaller display.

This would suggest a Nano "world mode" iPhone. This would make some sense for India, Brazil and China.

Unlike Apple from the original iPod to the iPod Mini, moving to a smaller iPhone with a smaller display opens up some major concerns.

Most importantly, the current apps won't be adequate. It's not about resolution but display size for those small elements. They could essentially do what they did with the iPad for apps. Or, they could make it a much simpler device with no App Store.

On one hand the dumb phone market is exceptionally huge compared to the smartphone market and I think many really just want o combine their iPod with a phone but don't need 24/7 internet access on the go or wish to pay for excessive data fees.

That is the only way I can see wanting to do this so they can maintain their iPod/iTunes dominance while still charging a premium for phone. Other than that I see the dumb phone market as being unprofitable to Apple. Just look at how Motorola when from losing money to turning a profit simply by focusing on the Droid smartphone.

Quote:

Having observed Apple for 32 years, the way they would do something like a "world mode" iPhone, would to include the capability in a single model (rather than an additional model)... Then announce it as: "Oh, one more thing!" Then, later introduce a Nano model.

I can't see how such a device could be smaller AND contain CDMA and GSM/3GSM radios.

Note that the Blackberry Verizon sells is a "world mode" phone yet it conveniently doesn't include the UMTS bands that would make it work for N. American carriers the US, and subsequently Canada. I've seen others that are missing lot of bands for other regions and carriers, too. With the maximum number of bands of UMTS bands on a single phone is 5, now used by a Nokia phone and iPhone 4, I have to wonder if think these "world mode" phones are an erroneously named technology. Sure, they offer CDMA and UMTS bands together, but they so limited in each that offer plenty of other negatives as a result. It's more like they were designed to peak interest for a CDMA user who travels to a specific region and not much more.

Quote:

I did some grepping through the SDK and found quite a few hits on "CDMA". However, I don't, yet, know how to display these hits.

Interesting. I hope a CDMA iPhone comes. I think the stock will shoot up like crazy with just an official announcement from Apple for a CDMA iPhone.