Windows Live Messenger arrives for iPhone, Swype to talk with Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

While I like the new Windows Live Messenger -- it's the first client I've used that doesn't sign me out of my desktop Messenger -- it doesn't support fast app switching on iOS 4.0 and it takes like 15 seconds to relaunch each time. Come on, Microsoft!

Not surprising, given the state of OS X software made by Microsoft.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I wonder how swype deals with double letters, like "ee" and "tt". Those situations are handled extremely fast with conventional typing.

It doesn't lol. In that case you'd have to lift your finger and put it back down on the same letter again like a regular keyboard. The other part is the accents for letters... this technology wouldn't be compatible with the current system of selecting accents.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    creidcreid Posts: 5member
    I just installed Swype beta on my Huawei Android in Europe. It's really is nice. Pretty fast and accurate. And can still use the Swype kybrd for regular typing. Swype now my default keyboard.

And NO, no LIFTING to do double letters, you make a swirly circle motion on letter, and voila, double letter!

Don't knock it till you tried it!!!

'04 iBook

'06 iMac

Uni MBP 15"

iPad Wifi (initial USA launch and shipped).

Former 3GS now Android
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not surprising, given the state of OS X software made by Microsoft.

Its my understanding that NO apps prior to the WWDC will support multitasking on the new OS, besides Apple apps. So all 225,000 apps will have to be updated to take advantage of multitasking.

I hope Apple has some good network pipes and lots of iTunes servers.....and I really hope they are NOT running on the mobileme servers.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's a bullshit statement.

I agree with his statement. If they have to say they are talking to Apple, that means they have tried and Apple is not biting. Apple does not take kindly to public discussions. It will never see the light of day on a iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Bullocks!

Castrated male steers???
  • Reply 27 of 45
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I'm skeptical, but interested to see how this works. I never managed to get the hang of the predictive texting on mobile phones back in the day (where you only had the number pad), but I was amazed by how quickly some people managed to type on them, and I suspect this might be similar.

Personally I'd like Apple to take a look at how the keyboard works for the iPad when it is in portrait mode. When in landscape, I think the keyboard is tremendous, and I can type on it pretty much as fast as I can a regular keyboard, but in portrait I find the keyboard too small for touchtyping, but too big for thumb typing. Not sure how this could be made better, but I wondered if actually making the keyboard smaller would help......
  • Reply 28 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Castrated male steers???

Yes, I meant bollocks.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by creid View Post

Don't knock it till you tried it!!!

Unless and until Apple allows third-party developers to replace basic functionality on their devices, the typical reader here will be unable to try it.

So it is unlikely that it will ever appear as an app.

Apple considers its typing system to be SOTA. It is a major feature of their device.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

It will never see the light of day on a iPhone.

You may be right. You may be wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm skeptical, but interested to see how this works.

I personally doubt I'de use it, but it's be an nice option for have in keyboard settings.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Saw Swype on HTC this weekend. Apple either needs to buy into this or invent something better cause it really is stinking awesome. First time ever I looked at another phone & thought, "I wish my iPhone did that."

I'm not so sure. I saw the demonstration as well and am not impressed. I use two thumbs and I trust the iPhone to correct my mistakes so I type pretty fast. WIth Swype you're only using one finger which I can't believe is faster.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jozsoo View Post

An app that does the same thing _is_ available for the iPhone and iPod touch: ShapeWriter. Pretty cool, too!

I have been using Shapewriter from 2008 long before Swype came out for Android. The only thing about was the roundabout way of copy paste.

I am saddened that those guys do not get the attention they deserve. Swype got the break from the Android with its keyboard issues.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

You may be right. You may be wrong.

Maybe right and wrong too, all rolled into one?

Quote:

... but it's be an nice option for have in keyboard settings.

And Apple will pay royalty for each device???? Just like the Windows deal with every PC manufacturer?

Also, Apple will allow another company to modify core scripts or whatever?

That must be a "more than magical", "awesome", or "awesomely spectacular" Apps to Steve Jobs to allow.

CGC
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Messenger must be US only so far, it's not in Australian store.

it's non-approved software since it's still in beta. You have to get it from their site and allow unsigned packages to be installed. The install process is rather easy. Also, your signature is straight bs. Show me an HTML5 or objective c app that works across all desktop browsers. Flash is the spearhead of new internet technologies and should be used as such. HTML5 is an "emerging" technology meaning it hasn't "emerged" yet. No browser out right now OR in beta supports the full DRAFT spec.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I'm not so sure. I saw the demonstration as well and am not impressed. I use two thumbs and I trust the iPhone to correct my mistakes so I type pretty fast. WIth Swype you're only using one finger which I can't believe is faster.

that's backwards. iphone does THE worst job of correcting/autocorrecting of any software I've EVER used. I really don't see what the duck your point is. I'm sure it's a shifty one not worth keystrokes I'm taking to write this. If I were gone type this on the iphone it would come out like this. Hope this is as clear as most of the messages I've ever written on it. Thankfully they finally unducked the 4.0 release with squiggly underlines instead of autoreplacing unbroken text.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    mercivicmercivic Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jozsoo View Post

An app that does the same thing _is_ available for the iPhone and iPod touch: ShapeWriter. Pretty cool, too!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparky99 View Post

I have been using Shapewriter from 2008 long before Swype came out for Android. The only thing about was the roundabout way of copy paste.

I am saddened that those guys do not get the attention they deserve. Swype got the break from the Android with its keyboard issues.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eccent View Post

I was hyped up about Swype and tried shapewriter. I could two finger type faster than the demo on shapewriter's website and I was slower using shapewriter too. I don't think it's going to be for everyone.

I used ShapeWriter when it first came out for a few months: and loved it. However the notes don't sync with Mail.app so I stopped using it. It is absolutely superior to touch typing. I found that I got a lot faster with it the more I used it. My best case scenario is that this technology gets adopted throughout the entire OS.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

It doesn't lol. In that case you'd have to lift your finger and put it back down on the same letter again like a regular keyboard. The other part is the accents for letters... this technology wouldn't be compatible with the current system of selecting accents.

Yes it does, u draw a quick circle on the letter to double it.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    I was happy with ebuddy pro but ill try the official version for sure. The hotmail access is a nice bonus too. i hate how slow mboxmail is sometimes.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Am I dumb, or did they actually make no way in Messenger to log out? Or even go into your account details and change something? I couldn't anything!

EDIT: I found out how to do it after fiddling around for quite awhile... it isn't clear that this is actually a button to press but on the Social section, at the top where you write your comment, tap on your photo and a little menu slides out. There are 3 options: Profile, Change Picture, and your current status (Available). Click that to go to a screen to change your status or log out. Seems like way too many buttons to go through!