Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 141 of 257
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by espeed623 View Post

Frankly, I was relatively happy. I say that because I've been a Mac user for well over 3 years and an iPod user for a little longer. I've loved the OS on the iPod and the general experience, but I was wanting something I wouldn't get. I was excited because I was expecting so much more from an OS update for a mobile device that ultimately disappointed me in the end.

I have to say that staying connected on Wifi while in sleep mode (here is hope this means vpn too), and Folders are enough to make me really happy
  • Reply 142 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B Widder View Post

Does anyone know if iOS 4 brought homescreen wallpaper to the iPhone 3G? It doesn't seem to show up anywhere, but I don't understand why Apple wouldn't include it in the 3G as well as the 3GS and 4.

It did not. The 3G has less memory than the 3GS as well as a weaker processor.
  • Reply 143 of 257
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    Think the unified inbox feature is cool but don't quite understand why it shows inboxes and then accounts? doubled up slightly there me thinks?

Where is the screen orientation lock feature?
  • Reply 144 of 257
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by espeed623 View Post

I hate iOS 4 on my 2nd gen iTouch. Hate. It. ... I knew it wouldn't support multi-tasking, but seriously? Home page wallpapers exclusively for the newer products?! Jailbreakers can have a custom background...

Man that's a lot of Hate just for no custom wallpaper. Just how much time during the day do you spend staring at the background of a gizmo, anyway? I suggest you download a video or something... just saying.
  • Reply 145 of 257
    clark80clark80 Posts: 28member
    Found the screen lock feature, double tap home button and slide to the left until you see a grey icon with a round arrow in it.

Slightly confused that you cant lock the screen in landscape...

Also if you double tap home button while already in landscape the multi-tasking looks a bit strange...

I think they missed a few tricks here...
  • Reply 146 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

No, I clicked for update as well, and it's doing exactly what he says. It is acting very much like a restore, however.

Likewise for me. It appears to have done a restore even though I did not tell it too. Ah well, it's almost done restoring iPhone applications. Wow I've been updating my phone for nearly 3 1/2 hours now. Is that a record?
  • Reply 147 of 257
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post

Found the screen lock feature, double tap home button and slide to the left until you see a grey icon with a round arrow in it.

Slightly confused that you cant lock the screen in landscape...

Also if you double tap home button while already in landscape the multi-tasking looks a bit strange...

I think they missed a few tricks here...

This didn't fix my problem, it was unlocked. Not sure what's up with album art ...at least on my phone.
  • Reply 148 of 257
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Downloading doesn't seem bogged (yet). Just a few minutes of download time and you're on to installation - which (as always) takes so much longer than the patience we have to wait.

Update

1:13pm CST: Is it just me? I've been hung on "Backing up 'iPhone'" for 30 minutes. (Yes, I stopped and started over after 15 minutes - so that's 30 minutes on the second attempt.)

2:30pm CST: Still waiting for "Backing up iPhone" to disappear and move on. Is it just the 3G? Hearing 3GS users are installed.

2:50pm CST: FINALLY, the phone is restoring. If you've waited - keep waiting. The status bar means nothing.

It took me 2.5 hours for the entire process. Lots of my apps crashes. not entirely convinced that this is the big step forward. Like the folder features.
  • Reply 149 of 257
    Anyone else have a problem with certain albums not displaying cover art in the iPod app? Seems to be a result of lost album and artist info for the album. (When you tap to view an album with missing cover art, it reads as artist and album unknown, and if you're in CoverFlow mode it shows no tracks.)
  • Reply 150 of 257
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I do not like the mail..it shows all the inboxes then underneath all the accounts..that is so dumb & confusing.

Agree, at list in my case. I can see how it might be better for others, although how doesn't come to mind right now.

But, for me, it is just so much extra garbage. Maybe I'll understand why after I use it for a while.
  • Reply 151 of 257
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    3G====ios 4

does it make sense to upgrade, some site said it makes 3g slow

won't upgrade till others with 3g have tried it out

thanks
  • Reply 152 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

from a third party website. apple wont offer older (outdated) versions of software, 4.0 or nothing- and your touch doesn't support 4.0 unfortunately \

That's not true at all. You can go back through every .X upgrade to Mac OS X.
  • Reply 153 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Agree, at list in my case. I can see how it might be better for others, although how doesn't come to mind right now.

But, for me, it is just so much extra garbage. Maybe I'll understand why after I use it for a while.

Why is it dumb? If you want to review all accounts as if they were one, then you just use the unified view. If you only want to review certain accounts (work related e-mails, for example) you can view each one separately. It makes sense to me and it's more like the "Inbox" on the desktop now.
  • Reply 154 of 257
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Anyone else have a problem with certain albums not displaying cover art in the iPod app? Seems to be a result of lost album and artist info for the album. (When you tap to view an album with missing cover art, it reads as artist and album unknown, and if you're in CoverFlow mode it shows no tracks.)

My coverflow isn't working at all ! Screen orientation is not locked ??
  • Reply 155 of 257
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

It did not. The 3G has less memory than the 3GS as well as a weaker processor.

Word is that the issue is the shadows on the icons. Apple added them so the wallpaper won't look as lame as it does on the jailbroken iPhones, but the processing of the shadows (when the icons animate etc.) is beyond the capabilities of the 3G.
  • Reply 156 of 257
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's only a "luxury device" to internet wags who are either unwilling or unable to understand that there are many kinds of needs in this world, and it's perfectly OK for devices to exist that don't meet their specific needs.

For my father who normally eschews computers due to their inherit complexity and generally being a pain in the a$$ and my best friends mother with severe arthritis that the touch interface on the iPad pretty much negates, the iPad is the perfect primary device.

I guess when your whole schtick revolves around PC's, all the problems in the world are PC shaped nails that a general purpose computer is required to solve.

The success of the iPad proves otherwise

They aren't accelerating anything - they are following a carefully laid out plan of steady and incremental upgrades.

You are right about one thing - the iPad is "the next great thing". It's the next stage of general purpose computing. I don't see Windows or Mac OSX going away any time soon, but I do see the iOS being more widely deployed than both Windows and Mac combined in less than five years.

And even if that happens, it still doesn't threaten the Mac or Windows. This isn't a zero sum game

You can try to insult me all you want but your father is part of the last generatiions no matter what his age may be. That is like saying the Wii is a great product because it's in so many retirement homes.

The world has to move on. This is not about what the elderly can do but about the future.

I'm sure the same will happen when I'm in his position but at least I can recognize what the future is.
  • Reply 157 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

The upper section gives you direct access to either all your inboxes, or just specific ones. This is quicker than navigating to the account, then to the inbox as before. Now, a nice touch would be a color coding/flagging to easily associate messages to the account they belong to.

The lower section gives you complete access to all folders associated with each specific account. This is more like the previous setup where you navigated first to the account with all its' folders, then to the folder you want (typically the inbox).
  • Reply 158 of 257
    hewsthathewsthat Posts: 33member
    It seems as if the volume is lower, as if apple has enforced a universal volume limiter in the software. I've already checked my volume limiter for iPod and it's set where i always set it, but it seems as if my iPhone is considerably quieter after installing iOS 4.
  • Reply 159 of 257
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Currently upgrading my 3G iPhone. The upgrade seems to take about 1.5 hours on this phone. As others have mentioned, it appears this update wipes the phone clean, installs the new OS, then restores everything anew. So, most of the time is spent backing up and restoring the phone's data.

I'll post my experience with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G (16gig) later today or tomorrow once I've had a chance to use it.
  • Reply 160 of 257
    Something is up with this update. 2 hours it's been downloading (perhaps the servers are slow in the UK?) then with 5 mins to go it said the network connection has been disconnected and have to start again!

It's late now so shall try tomorrow. The network is fine btw. Oh well.