Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 161 of 257
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There seem to be a few complaints, here and there, of MMS settings not showing up. Maybe messed up carrier settings?

Or they don't know where to look. or they are devices that never supported MMS before and still don't
  • Reply 162 of 257
    I'm trying to update (iPhone 3G) and it looks like it's doing a Restore. But it has been on the Apple logo, with status bar for 2 hours. Looks like it is stuck at 60%. Anyone help? Anyone having this problem?
  • Reply 163 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

no ibooks...all of 4 major features in 4.0 and they can't have this one ready before launch? unreal

If this has been answered (apologies if it was), but the iBooks app for iPhone is up - you have to d/l it. Here it is on their iTunes website (can't access the iTunes store at work):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8 So, let your reading begin.
  • Reply 164 of 257
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Considering your product isn't supported officially, for iOS 4 I would think you'd stick with 3.1.3.

iPod touch 2G. Where does it say it isn't supported?

There is only mention of no multitasking, no wallpaper and no bluetooth keyboard. It IS an official upgrade with the above mentioned as not supported. If it wasn't official, it would download, as in it won't download to the iPhone 2G and the iPod touch 1G.
  • Reply 165 of 257
    mrobmrob Posts: 13member
    for some reason after updating i had tons of old email messages in my inbox--hundreds of them! any idea why?
  • Reply 166 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why is it dumb? If you want to review all accounts as if they were one, then you just use the unified view. If you only want to review certain accounts (work related e-mails, for example) you can view each one separately. It makes sense to me and it's more like the "Inbox" on the desktop now.

It's not dumb at all! A little more investigation and I see why it is the way it is. Now, I like it! Thanks!
  • Reply 167 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scanie View Post

It seems iBooks is way too slow on a 3G.

A4 and 512 Mo would ad so much convenience...

But what a pleasure to hold thousands of (free) classics pages on your hand.

A reason to consider getting an iPhone 4, and to dream of an iPad.

iBooks should work on iTunes/OSX...

Definitely worth having, but yes, it is slow on my touch 2G. It shouldn't be, since it is using the same EPUB format that Stanza uses and it is very quick.

1.1.1 perhaps?

Still, unreal that we can have so many free classics to read.
  • Reply 168 of 257
    cliphordcliphord Posts: 72member
    I upgraded my 8GB iPhone 3G this afternoon as soon as iOS 4 became available. It took as long as some others are reporting - about an hour to do the whole process. Whatever.

For other 3G users, here are the only noticeable, obvious "changes" or "advantages" to upgrading:

- the new "dock" at the bottom

- the app folders (AWESOME!)

- a new look for the iPod

- digital zoom on the camera

- "Places" added to Photos

- iBooks is available to install

- new Mail inboxes

- a REAL spell check

Any of the other features associated with the upgrade just aren't noticeable enough to really matter to me or aren't available for the 3G.

Should you upgrade? Absolutely. It's free and doesn't harm performance, why not? Places and the new app folders alone are worth it to me.

Personally, this upgrade doesn't matter. I own an old 3G that will be replaced as soon as I can find some in-stock iPhone 4's. At least I get to experience a little of the iOS 4 before I get the new iPhone.
  • Reply 169 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post

Think the unified inbox feature is cool but don't quite understand why it shows inboxes and then accounts? doubled up slightly there me thinks?

I thought so too until you realize that the Inboxes at the top are exactly that... only Inboxes. You go straight to your email.

The Accounts at the bottom show your Sent, Trash, Folders, etc.

I hated it at first glance, but like it now.
  • Reply 170 of 257
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I've screwed the pooch for a bit. iOS4 GM is not the same as final release. I haven't upgraded because RedSn0w won't recognize and properly break the final release. I suppose I could go reinstall the GM but clearly there are some differences and why sweat it for a couple hours.
  • Reply 171 of 257
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    I'm avoiding upgrading do to an incompatibility with one of my main apps (audio tools) they are working on clearing this up in the next week or two, but for now I'm just going to have to sit on the sidelines and itch for the day. Does anybody know of other app problems with iOS4?\\
  • Reply 172 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrob View Post

for some reason after updating i had tons of old email messages in my inbox--hundreds of them! any idea why?

Same here. It seems to have downloaded all the messages from my accounts, whether read or not, deleted on the phone or not.

I had to go to my webmail accounts and manually delete everything and then the Mail app was fine.
  • Reply 173 of 257
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    After playing around with iOS4 on my iTouch I am impressed. The "folders" feature is great. It has greatly reduced my icon clutter. I'm not too sure if I'll use iBooks that much but it's far better than the Kindle app. Having a unified mailbox makes checking and organizing email much more convenient. Time will tell if I use threading. Basically, everything worked as advertised and I'll enjoy learning how to use all the other capabilities. I'm still trying to figure out how to lock the screen. And the wallpaper issue isn't one that bothers me. The bottom line is that I definitely don't want to go back to iOS3.
  • Reply 174 of 257
    estolinskiestolinski Posts: 140member
    Updated my 3G with no issues here. BTW, true signal still works for me, someone earlier said it was disabled under 4.0 - not so. I like folders and unified mail but other than that nothing major. BUT - I get my iPhone 4 in 2 days so who cares wooop!
  • Reply 175 of 257
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hewsthat View Post

It seems as if the volume is lower, as if apple has enforced a universal volume limiter in the software. I've already checked my volume limiter for iPod and it's set where i always set it, but it seems as if my iPhone is considerably quieter after installing iOS 4.

Mine too...I wish it was as loud as before
  • Reply 176 of 257
    I find no difference in the iPod volume after the update to my 3GS. Do you have "Sound Check" enabled? If so, turn that off.
  • Reply 177 of 257
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    My iPhone 3G has been fully updated to iOS 4. It took nearly two hours to do the full update, probably because my 16gig iPhone is nearly full with music. But, the upgrade went smoothly.

One major thing I noticed is that your app icons will be in a different, random order when you start up iOS 4. You'll have to rearrange them again. But, with the new Folders feature, I was going to do this anyway.

So far my phone seems to work just fine, haven't noticed any sluggishness yet, but also haven't noticed any speed increases. Although Safari Mobile might be snappier!

Multi-tasking isn't available on the 3G, and oddly neither is the ability to use a custom Home screen background. But, no biggie. I plan to get an iPhone 4 this year anyway.
  • Reply 178 of 257
    Downloaded iOS 4, installed, and synced, but now NONE of my music will play in iPod on 16G 3G. Any help out there?

Thanks in advance!!
  • Reply 179 of 257
    I did the update tonight and now I have no data connection. I can make calls but no email or browser. My phone had been jail broken but shouldn't the update have just revved all that? My third party apps (Cydia) are gone. Any suggestions? I removed the sim card but that didn't help.
  • Reply 180 of 257
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Multi-tasking isn't available on the 3G, and oddly neither is the ability to use a custom Home screen background. But, no biggie. I plan to get an iPhone 4 this year anyway.

The custom home screen background is for several reasons, but the main reason is due to the fact that iPhone 3G only has 128MB of RAM. An image large enough to provide a high quality background would required a fair amount of RAM to load (and its required to be loaded at all times if its on the home screen) - RAM is extremely precious on the 3G so its a tactical decision there for your benefit.