Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No Winnie-the-Pooh on mine either... odd!

I want my Winnie...I want my Winnie...I want my Winnie...

Had to dl it separately

So did I, free from the store. I think the idea is to get new iPad owners into the store.
  • Reply 82 of 170
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

If you activate your iPad on one computer and then later connect it to a different computer what will happen? I remember the iPod never liked multiple computers.

It's not a problem at all. Activation and setting it up in iTunes are two separate actions, just as they are for the iPhone.
  • Reply 83 of 170
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't see it.

So I just went back.

Not at the top of Featured.

Not at the top of Charts.

Not at the top of Browse, which is alphabetized.

Not there in Purchases, where I found my old books.

So you have to look for it. If you don't know about it (and no matter what the publicity, there will always be people who don't know these things; like people buying new Apple products the day before the new ones come out, and then complaining about it), then you won't know to look for it either.

Even though Winnie was there for me when I downloaded iBooks, it is #1 in the Top Free books section in the Book Store.
  • Reply 84 of 170
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is as good an argument for Apple branded kiosks as I've seen yet. Apple should set up these units in high-foot traffic areas (Best Buys, public libraries, bookstores, Starbucks, gas stations, airports, etc.) that would allow a person to connect their iPod, iPad and iPhone and pay about $5/5 minutes of use which would connect them to the iTunes store WITHOUT A COMPUTER and the kiosk would have a high-speed connection. They could update their software (not over wi-fi) register their device, or connect directly to customer service for simple software issues or questions.

These kiosks would multiply much faster than the average Apple Store and essentially remain "open" 24 hrs. a day.

I like your idea-- kind of an iTunes/App store ATM. Except I think the use charge should be free (there are other ways to get ROI for the Kiosk and operation expense). Knowing Apple, they'll make ti a pay-for-itself proposition-- so a fee would be likely.

• Reply 85 of 170
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You need a computer to activate it for the first time. It doesn't require a "computer" to be used. You can activate on a Mac in an Apple Store or at a friend or family member's house.

2) You say it needs to be "solved" implying this is some obstacle Apple has been able to overcome, despite this clearly being a design choice to clearly push this as a satellite "computing" device not a replacement for a PC.

3) Why does Apple have to do anything because you say so? It's already sold 1/3 of all tablets reportedly sold in all of 2009 and it's a brand new product. Is there lead so large that you wish them to ruin their product so others can catch up?

I would like to see the ability to save files locally, and printing. There are ways to do this now but not anyway which mirrors the iPads elegance and ease of use. I hope the integration with iWork.com will be developed. iWork.com is an immature offering imo but it could be amazing. As to the point above about making the ipad 'independent' - I think this will happen over time. It may not have been designed that way but I wonder if that had more to do with uncertainty of its success and the need to tie it into an ecosystem. It now looks like the thing will be so successful it may be able to stand on its own feet. I suspect the ipad will become a laptop replacement for an awful lot of people but many households will purchase more than one. Once you do that the advantages of added services such as mm will become more apparent.

But... I agree with your points and Apple will undoubtedly do what is best for Apple. For me, more often than not proves to be best for me.

By the way - have you got an iPad yet? ;-)
  • Reply 86 of 170
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, you don't.

First, many casual users never back up their computer at all. Even those who do can use MobileMe. No need to own your own computer.

Those people are idiots and at some point in time they are likely to lose a lot of irreplaceable data.

MobileMe can backup contacts etc, but what about music and movies purchased through iTunes? What about documents and presentations you have created in Pages and Keynote? What about photos you have moved from your camera to your iPad? Whilst you can use an iPad without requiring a computer, you'd be foolish not to backup your data on a regular basis.

BTW - I have absolutely no problem with requirement to own a computer as well. It would however be nice if backups could be done via WiFi instead of USB.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Constantly repeating a myth does not make it true.

It is not a myth, at least not 100% untrue.

It is true you can use the iPad independently of a computer. However, in order to download large movies, TV, music, large Apps and iOS updates, you need a computer. Like on the iPhone, if you attempt to download any of these (especially iOS updates) you must sync to a computer. If you don't own a computer, you only have the ability to sync and download smaller files, like some music and any apps under a certain file size. Much like how it is on the iPhone.

Now, this isn't a problem with most users. I would argue that 100% of users that have an iPad probably have a computer and this discussion is a mute point.

But, my second issue with saying this is a "myth" is the fact that there is a whole population out there that would ONLY need the iPad as thier primary device. For example, school children where thier family could only afford something at this scale. People in lower-income families where they can only afford something at this scale and only need the basic tasks that this device offers. Or, people who only surf the web and email, like my elderly parents...the elderly generation entirely (the largest percentage of the US population 55-80 yr/olds). Many of them don't have computers, but could benefit from the iPad.

As a contrast. The Kindle and the Nook both are completely independant of a computer. Thier batteries last up to a week without charge. They are similar but not an 1 for 1 comparison (naturally)...but worth the comparison.
  • Reply 88 of 170
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Supply and demand: they're only now starting to ship more iPads quicker. 1 million of those iPads were sold in the last 3 weeks, which means there is an increase. Just imagine holiday season, in addition to other international markets being added. Next year will see numbers sold in far greater excess, as Apple adds some very lust-worthy features, like Retina display, probable Facetime camera, more RAM, greater battery life, and maybe a few unknown surprises. Apple's meteoric rise is blowing the roof off of the world.

I think you are mostly correct but I don't think we will see a "retina" display on the next generation iPad simply because I think the price of such a display will still be to high. Perhaps on the 3 generation iPad?
  • Reply 89 of 170
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Good. But Apple is still alone in the park so it need to bend on its Flash stance before the market is flood with Android based tablets that are cheaper and more powerfull.

Or maybe S. Jobs is really right and flash will drain too much CPU and battery life, but imo I dont think so. Has a big APPL stock owner, I wish it allow a third party plug-in to support flash at least so the growth can continu.

I think Apple "control freak" attitude may kill the company in the long run. For example, it made a patch to the iphone Os to block OEM cables. I had a $2.99 (China bought) iphone to TV cable that suddenly stop working with the message "this cable is not supported". The Apple cable cost 50$. This kind of attitude will piss people off in the long run, even if the Apple hardware is great.
  • Reply 90 of 170
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't see it.

So I just went back.

Not at the top of Featured.

Not at the top of Charts.

Not at the top of Browse, which is alphabetized.

Not there in Purchases, where I found my old books.

So you have to look for it. If you don't know about it (and no matter what the publicity, there will always be people who don't know these things; like people buying new Apple products the day before the new ones come out, and then complaining about it), then you won't know to look for it either.

This is very interesting. I downloaded iBooks and -boom!- there was Whinnie right in my library... I honestly didn't know if it was going to be free for the iPhone but there it was!

It is strange that it is working so differently for different people--somewhat un-Apple like.
  • Reply 91 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

If you activate your iPad on one computer and then later connect it to a different computer what will happen? I remember the iPod never liked multiple computers.

it works the same way, which is really frustrating. Especially for podcasts. I go through a lot of them daily and to get new ones, i have to sync to the computer that my ipod/phone/pad was initialized with.
  • Reply 92 of 170
    OK.

As an informal, unscientific poll, how many of you believe this most dubious of dubious rumors:

http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?...macs_with_ios/

The only possible kernel of truth is that I have been hearing for a long time that Apple may (someday) introduce an iMac with a touch screen interface. Cocoa Touch is very mature.

Curious as to your opinions on this rumor's veracity,

defender

\
  • Reply 93 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I fully expect Apple to eventually make the iPad not need to be connected to a PC with iTunes installed to activate it, but I think we'll have to wait until at least iPad iOS v4.x and for that massive data center to have been built, with whatever they turn LaLa into up and running along with other cloud services they have planned. It will still be designed and focused as an accessory satellite device, but a physical connection to a PC won't be requirement.

What i would love to see is a device, like the Airport or the TimeCapsule, that its a wireless or wired base station (or hub) for the iPad. Maybe even build it into the keyboard dock? I've been posting about this ever since January. I think it's a great way to make the iPad completely independant, yet still allow to be synced to a computer as well.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

It is not a myth, at least not 100% untrue.

It is true you can use the iPad independently of a computer. However, in order to download large movies, TV, music, large Apps and iOS updates, you need a computer. Like on the iPhone, if you attempt to download any of these (especially iOS updates) you must sync to a computer. If you don't own a computer, you only have the ability to sync and download smaller files, like some music and any apps under a certain file size. Much like how it is on the iPhone.

Now, this isn't a problem with most users. I would argue that 100% of users that have an iPad probably have a computer and this discussion is a mute point.

But, my second issue with saying this is a "myth" is the fact that there is a whole population out there that would ONLY need the iPad as thier primary device. For example, school children where thier family could only afford something at this scale. People in lower-income families where they can only afford something at this scale and only need the basic tasks that this device offers. Or, people who only surf the web and email, like my elderly parents...the elderly generation entirely (the largest percentage of the US population 55-80 yr/olds). Many of them don't have computers, but could benefit from the iPad.

As a contrast. The Kindle and the Nook both are completely independant of a computer. Thier batteries last up to a week without charge. They are similar but not an 1 for 1 comparison (naturally)...but worth the comparison.

Some of this has been discussed already, but I have to ask: what is the inherent dependency involved with downloading large files? I'm not aware of any, other than storage limitations.

As for the Kindle and the Nook, they are "completely independent" only because they are so functionally limited -- and they still need to be connected to a computer for backups. How is this an advantage?
  • Reply 95 of 170
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

I like your idea-- kind of an iTunes/App store ATM. Except I think the use charge should be free (there are other ways to get ROI for the Kiosk and operation expense). Knowing Apple, they'll make ti a pay-for-itself proposition-- so a fee would be likely.

It blows my mind that they don't take out one of the display tables in their smaller retail stores and put in an automated kiosk system. First time customers don't know how to buy anything. Long-time customers are frustrated (or at least I am) with not being able to walk-in, pay, and walk-out within 3 minutes when they know exactly what they want.

They could easily have half their inventory in it, even do mobile bar-codes to pick up your order from your cell phone.

...guess I am an engineer and don't really like people...
  • Reply 96 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

OK.

As an informal, unscientific poll, how many of you believe this most dubious of dubious rumors:

http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?...macs_with_ios/

The only possible kernel of truth is that I have been hearing for a long time that Apple may (someday) introduce an iMac with a touch screen interface. Cocoa Touch is very mature.

Curious as to your opinions on this rumor's veracity,

defender

\

What i'd like to see, is if the iPad could be docked to a base/keyboard station and be used as a laptop with full-OSX. Then, when you pull the ipad off the dock, it works like the current iPad does. The first hybrid computer! However, this will never happen, but an intersting idea nontheless.
  • Reply 97 of 170
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

At some point supply will catch up to demand. I suspect that will be mid-late Feb 2011. Apple has another card to play with this device-- one that will truly change the world!

change da world? pray tell...
  • Reply 98 of 170
    Quote:

Some of this has been discussed already, but I have to ask: what is the inherent dependency involved with downloading large files? I'm not aware of any, other than storage limitations.

As for the Kindle and the Nook, they are "completely independent" only because they are so functionally limited -- and they still need to be connected to a computer for backups. How is this an advantage?

actually, the kindle and nook don't need a computer at all. it's all done in a cloud...

"We have created a library for you on Amazon.com. We make books and periodicals you purchased from the Kindle Store available in the library for re-download wirelessly from your Kindle or from the Manage Your Kindle page. You can keep your own back-up of your content by saving a copy to your computer or another storage device.

Amazon also backs up annotations you make in books you purchase from us so that they will be available to you if you re-download the content from your library. Amazon.com does not back up personal documents, MP3s, or other content that you download or transfer from your computer to your Kindle which you have not purchased from the Kindle Store.
    "
  • Reply 99 of 170
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:

I believe the Kindle is backed up to the cloud. Also unlike iTunes you can easily re-download all the content you have previously purchased.

With WiFi networks, 3G and soon 4G networks, home servers, cloud servers, etc, I cannot wait for the day when we no longer have to physically connect devices together. I want all my devices to automatically back up without me having to connect a cable (my computers already do this with Time Capsule). If I buy a new album or app from iTunes on my computer I want it automatically pushed to my iPhone (Google were showing this at Google IO recently).
  • Reply 100 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

By the way - have you got an iPad yet? ;-)

I bought the iPad WiFi back in April but returned it after the week. Safari reloading a page i was writing in (like in a forum) simply from switching pages was too annoying to bear. Except for that I quite liked it for what it was even though with my 13" MBP as my main system and an iPhone my window of usefulness is quite narrow. I'll get the next iPad 3G when they up the RAM (assuming this resolves the issue). Plus, after using iOS 4.0 for many weeks going back to 3.x with no folders would be rough so I wouldn't consider an iPad until least the fall when IOS 4 lands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

What i would love to see is a device, like the Airport or the TimeCapsule, that its a wireless or wired base station (or hub) for the iPad. Maybe even build it into the keyboard dock? I've been posting about this ever since January. I think it's a great way to make the iPad completely independant, yet still allow to be synced to a computer as well.

I'd like that. They did offer two keyboard options for it. I would have loved to see the Keyboard Dock accessory also have a USB port in the back to connect an external HDD or printer, etc. Having it also sync with your iPod or iPhone would be nice, but then the IPad would need to have an iTunes app on it not just iPod and Video apps. This seems like the biggest reasoning as to keep it focused as a satellite device like other iDevices.