Apple announces 3 million iPads sold in first 80 days

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

OK.

As an informal, unscientific poll, how many of you believe this most dubious of dubious rumors:

http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?...macs_with_ios/

The only possible kernel of truth is that I have been hearing for a long time that Apple may (someday) introduce an iMac with a touch screen interface. Cocoa Touch is very mature.

Curious as to your opinions on this rumor's veracity,

defender

\

Actually, there is another possibility. Apple could include the iPhone simulator as part of Mac OS X (instead of just with the developer package).

With some tweaks, this would allow you to run any apps you have downloaded (free, purchased) on your desktop as widgets.

It is surprising how well this works now, with just the Apple-supplied apps and your Developer apps. If apple were to enhance the simulator, allow downloaded apps, etc... It could be really a great feature (with or without touch screen on the Mac).

Here's an example of an iOS 4.0 widget running on the desktop. The app running is one I wrote. In the Multi-Tasking tray are:

-- two apple supplied apps

-- an SDK example app

-- another app I wrote

Just imagine if you could run any of your iOS apps this way!

• Reply 102 of 170
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I bought the iPad WiFi back in April but returned it after the week. Safari reloading a page i was writing in (like in a forum) simply from switching pages was too annoying to bear. Except for that I quite liked it for what it was even though with my 13" MBP as my main system and an iPhone my window of usefulness is quite narrow. I'll get the next iPad 3G when they up the RAM (assuming this resolves the issue). Plus, after using iOS 4.0 for many weeks going back to 3.x with no folders would be rough so I wouldn't consider an iPad until least the fall when IOS 4 lands.

Yes, the lack of "TABS" in Safari for the ipad is ANNOYING. I also wish you could download Google Chrome on the iPad. I've been using that since it first was Beta and i've never looked back. The iGoogle Page and syncing bookmarks from Computer to Computer just from the browser is amazing! I just wish they'd let us use Chrome at work. I'm still pissed that iTunes only lets you sync bookmarks from only Safari or IE8.

Quote:

I'd like that. They did offer two keyboard options for it. I would have loved to see the Keyboard Dock accessory also have a USB port in the back to connect an external HDD or printer, etc. Having it also sync with your iPod or iPhone would be nice, but then the IPad would need to have an iTunes app on it not just iPod and Video apps. This seems like the biggest reasoning as to keep it focused as a satellite device like other iDevices.

It does have the iTunes store App when you buy it, but what i think you mean is that you wished the FULL iTunes Applicaiton was install on it. That would be nice. Yes, access to my home network on the iPad would be nice as well! That way i would not have to sync, just upload from my desktop. Like the aTV does as well.
  • Reply 103 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It blows my mind that they don't take out one of the display tables in their smaller retail stores and put in an automated kiosk system. First time customers don't know how to buy anything. Long-time customers are frustrated (or at least I am) with not being able to walk-in, pay, and walk-out within 3 minutes when they know exactly what they want.

They could easily have half their inventory in it, even do mobile bar-codes to pick up your order from your cell phone.

...guess I am an engineer and don't really like people...

I like it! And, it should improve service and reduce costs.

Also at the supermarket, or a store, gas station, etc. I'd like to pay with my iPhone and get a detail digital receipt just by bumping my iPhone with the POST device. (Notice how I avoided using POS?)

It's gonna' happen soon:

-- today leave house & take wallet, iPhone, keys

-- soon, just take iPhone

• Reply 104 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

change da world? pray tell...

Yes! There are promises to keep...

• Reply 105 of 170
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Amazing. What a crazy start for the iPad!

This is bigger than 1984.

I think the iPad will be the new personal computer for a lot of people.
  • Reply 106 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Yes, the lack of "TABS" in Safari for the ipad is ANNOYING. I also wish you could download Google Chrome on the iPad. I've been using that since it first was Beta and i've never looked back. The iGoogle Page and syncing bookmarks from Computer to Computer just from the browser is amazing! I just wish they'd let us use Chrome at work. I'm still pissed that iTunes only lets you sync bookmarks from only Safari or IE8.

I'd also like a Bookmark's bar in Safari on iPad. I think there is plenty of room to offer that option. Maybe these will come with v4.x. I might also go with a 3rd-party iPad browser next time. They all use the same WebKit framework but have some nice features.

When i use Windows I use IE8 with the Chrom Frame plugin installed. This way I get a good browser engine with an app that is well tied to the OS and good on power savings. 3rd-party browser apps have shown to drain power significantly faster. I can't have that, plus I like the integration.

Quote:

It does have the iTunes store App when you buy it, but what i think you mean is that you wished the FULL iTunes Applicaiton was install on it. That would be nice. Yes, access to my home network on the iPad would be nice as well! That way i would not have to sync, just upload from my desktop. Like the aTV does as well.

Yes, iTunes, not iTunes Store. Without that there is no centralized DB and no way to make the iPad your primary computing device with then syncs and backs up your other iDevices.
  • Reply 107 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I believe the Kindle is backed up to the cloud. Also unlike iTunes you can easily re-download all the content you have previously purchased.

With WiFi networks, 3G and soon 4G networks, home servers, cloud servers, etc, I cannot wait for the day when we no longer have to physically connect devices together. I want all my devices to automatically back up without me having to connect a cable (my computers already do this with Time Capsule). If I buy a new album or app from iTunes on my computer I want it automatically pushed to my iPhone (Google were showing this at Google IO recently).

Emphasis mine! It's a little more complex than that-- we have a household with 5 (soon to be 7) iPhones, 2 (soon to be 3) iPads, lots of iPods and 7 Macs, including a Mini Media Library with 10,000 songs, 1,000 videos (Movies, Podcasts, TV shows, Home Movies).

Everything we download doesn't go to every device.

• Reply 108 of 170
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    Quote:

I'd also like a Bookmark's bar in Safari on iPad.

I believe you can activate a bookmarks bar in settings.
  • Reply 109 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Awesome! I had completely forgotten it was a feature.
  • Reply 110 of 170
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

You should connect your iPad to a computer on a regular basis to backup your data. Remember, if you have to send it to Apple for repair they will actually give you a replacement iPad and you will lose all the information and content on the original.

Just a guess but I suspect Apple are working on a cloud based system to do this.
  • Reply 111 of 170
    Make that 3 million and 1.
  • Reply 112 of 170
    "People are loving iPad as it becomes a part of their daily lives," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "We're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more people around the world, including those in nine more countries next month."

And loving it Mr Jobs I certainly am. I never thought the day would come when I choose an iPad over my beloved MacBook Pro but it's on Ebay as I type this...on my iPad of course.
  • Reply 113 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post

Nice tip thanks.

Scurries off to activate.
  • Reply 114 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I believe the Kindle is backed up to the cloud. Also unlike iTunes you can easily re-download all the content you have previously purchased.

Because the content is so minimal?
  • Reply 115 of 170
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Jobs said they have a lot of brand new products coming out! Here's hoping for a 15" iPad with a 30 pin connector on on the side for the BT keyboard stand!

That would be fabulous for presentations!

You heard it here first.

Best

Don't hold your breath, I think Hell is more likely to freeze over than for us to see a 15" iPad.

The move of iPhone OS to iOS shows that Apple is thinking way beyond phones & small portables. For 5 years I been sayin Apple was going to revolutionize the market & shake things up. Same old nay sayers are still at it after 5 years of being wrong! People can be so blind.
  • Reply 116 of 170
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

OK.

As an informal, unscientific poll, how many of you believe this most dubious of dubious rumors:

http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?...macs_with_ios/

The only possible kernel of truth is that I have been hearing for a long time that Apple may (someday) introduce an iMac with a touch screen interface. Cocoa Touch is very mature.

Curious as to your opinions on this rumor's veracity,

defender

\

I think we could see iOS on a mac running OSX. However, I don't think it will be for the touch interface. My guess would be Apple TV getting iOS and Front Row on macs being replaced by the new iOS powered Apple TV UI. Apple has been slowly adding touch friendly features to OSX, and I suspect they will continue to do that for the time being, I don't think they will add a separate "tablet mode" to OSX.
  • Reply 117 of 170
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Emphasis mine! It's a little more complex than that-- we have a household with 5 (soon to be 7) iPhones, 2 (soon to be 3) iPads, lots of iPods and 7 Macs, including a Mini Media Library with 10,000 songs, 1,000 videos (Movies, Podcasts, TV shows, Home Movies).

Everything we download doesn't go to every device.

That is easy to solve as there are already per device settings in iTunes. For example, my iPod classic syncs my entire music collection, whilst my iPhone uses a playlist to determine what to sync as it only has room for a subset of my collection. All I'm asking is this is done automatically via WiFi instead of me having to physically connect a USB cable to my iPhone or iPad.

Using USB to copy data made sense with iPods as they didn't have wireless networking, but now we have iPads, iPhones and iPod touches we should be able to break free of the need to use cables.
  • Reply 118 of 170
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

... I'll get the next iPad 3G when they up the RAM (assuming this resolves the issue). ...

I don't think it's a memory issue. I think it was some sort of design decision that if a page was loaded x amount of time ago that it should be refreshed when activated. I'm pretty sure my iPhone 3GS doesn't do this and it has the same memory as the iPad.

It is annoying, though, but hopefully they will fix it with a software update.
  • Reply 119 of 170
    Quote:

That is easy to solve as there are already per device settings in iTunes. For example, my iPod classic syncs my entire music collection, whilst my iPhone uses a playlist to determine what to sync as it only has room for a subset of my collection. All I'm asking is this is done automatically via WiFi instead of me having to physically connect a USB cable to my iPhone or iPad.

Using USB to copy data made sense with iPods as they didn't have wireless networking, but now we have iPads, iPhones and iPod touches we should be able to break free of the need to use cables.

It still makes sense today. With the iPod Touch 3G having 802.11b/g and 64GB storage I don't this is viable as an all-or-nothing sync.

With 802.11n and longer better battery and faster HW I can us getting closer to offering this feature, but USB3.0 will be around shortly (next year?) and plugging in to sync 128GB will be by far the most efficient method and dog slow over WiFi, even 802.11n all while using the battery.

I think the best you can hope for with iOS v5.0 is manually WiFi syncing if and only if the connection is determined to fat enough and the estimated amount of data to be synced is within a specific amount. This would give users the option in Settings and make sure the device can feasibly handle the sync.
  • Reply 120 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! There are promises to keep...

Which loosely translates into: I know nothing, nada, zilch...