Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salamandyr View Post

of me dropping it? naw.. accidental drops are one thing, but i'm not about to hurl it at the floor with the video cam on...

Aw.. Come on... You would be instantly famous.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    sudzsudz Posts: 10member
    A minor scratch or two, perhaps more over time isn't the biggest issue. The concern would be if it is prone to scratching and after a few months it is scratched up like a Christmas tree. Everyone pretty well have used the third party screen protectors that were sold through Apple and they worked quite well, I wouldn't want to wrap the entire unit in one however.

I haven't seen or heard reviews from owners so will hold off on any judgements until some people are able to post their thoughts.

I do think the IPhone4 is a marvelous product and looks to be a great upgrade. I will also say that I hope the switches are better quality (volume, mute, on /off) and the headphone jack not as prone to dust. I have three IPhone 3G's in my household two of which have suffered from broken switches. With that said I still plan on upgrading all three as no one makes hardware and software work so seemlessly for the end user better than Apple.

The advetised "stiffer & harder" does not mean scratch resistant, shatter proof or less breakable. It may imply it, and it very well may actually be it, but no one will really know till these are out in the wild for six months in a very large target group.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    johny25johny25 Posts: 1member
    Hello All

I am new in this forum.

I am very much glad that I joined this forum as I am a real gadget freak.

Very much excited to share my thoughts on new gadgets
  • Reply 24 of 109
    cdycdy Posts: 13member
    I've had several iPhones since Apple released them and not one of them has every had the glass scratch. I have abused them traveling several hundred thousand miles a year, taking taxis all over the place, dropping them from upstairs to downstairs at home (oops), etc, and have yet to ever have the glass scratch or crack.

So if this stuff has already scratched under moderate abuse, it is informative.

Trolls can go home now.

[Edit] I have also never used any protection on them and I keep them in my pocket with keys, etc. The plastic back has scratched (duh) but the glass has always been pristine.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I was planning to use mine as a shield in my part time work as a superhero crime fighter. If it can't stop armor-piercing rounds, then I have no use for it.

Meanwhile, my $400 prosumer digital camera fell the full 18 inches from my knee to the ground and it looks like someone hit the display with a ball-peen hammer.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

I know this doesn't go with the topic but...

You probably should have stopped there. Feel free to start a new thread with your topic. But please be courteous and don't thread-jack. Thanks.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    that's why i'm waiting for the white phone. I got the white 3G, it shows minor scratches but since it's white, they just blend in much better. Plus the white doesn't show fingerprints at all.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Is that scratches or scratch? I only see one.

I do not care about scratches I buy it to use it not keep it as a collector item.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    This looks more troubling than scratched glass:

http://tuaw.com/2010/06/23/iphone-4-...tina-displays/

What is it with Apple and display issues?
  • Reply 30 of 109
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The scratch came from someone diamond ring they were wearing at the time when they were handling the phone.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sudz View Post

A minor scratch or two, perhaps more over time isn't the biggest issue. The concern would be if it is prone to scratching and after a few months it is scratched up like a Christmas tree. Everyone pretty well have used the third party screen protectors that were sold through Apple and they worked quite well, I wouldn't want to wrap the entire unit in one however.

I'm with you here and if the scratches can only be seen when looked at in a certain light and at a certain angle, it doesn't really matter that much, as long as you can use it when you look at it face on.

Personally, I tend to prefer devices that looked "lived in" than ones that look brand new, even when they're months old.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

God knows how else they mistreated it. Just goes to show that if you don't pay for/earn something it has no worth to you and you don't look after it. Probably been mistreated more in 5 days than any user would in a lifetime.

Maybe your perfect iPhone isn't so perfect anymore. How does it go from "nary a scratch" to having scratches? Shouldn't these have showed up on the phone then? Reading the Engadget article, sounds like they showed up randomly after "normal" usage.

I would imagine a lifetime for an iPhone is much more mistreated than what they can do in 5 days. You're reading way too much into their review. Time will tell once these hit the real world, no pun intended.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Only Apple could charge $29 for a band of rubber.

I have a feeling the scratch in the photo was from extreme abuse and not normal everyday use. I mean, they admit they were dropping and throwing the phone, of course it will get scratched if you do that!
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

This looks more troubling than scratched glass:

http://tuaw.com/2010/06/23/iphone-4-...tina-displays/

What is it with Apple and display issues?

I thought the Evo had the massive screen fail?
  • Reply 35 of 109
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    The protective "bumpers" that Apple sells do seem to add a bit of height to the front and back edge, creating a slight gap between the glass and, say, a table surface. So when you'd set it flat on a table, the glass itself wouldn't be making contact? That alone should mitigate potential scratching.

I don't put my 3GS into a pocket full of coins and keys (pants or a bag), if only because it cost over $400 and is a relatively 'delicate' electronics device with a large glass screen? Duh... I have a case too, so it's in fine shape. I'm not over protective of it though, and it's a pretty tough device all considered...

I just really want to know HOW these reported scratches happened. Grinding across stones? A jeans-pocket together with keys? Just putting it on a table? How??
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Soo... was it because of the keys it was rubbing against in the pocket, or because it spent some time sitting on a table? Context is important for this to be worthwhile news.

I know plenty of people who kept their 3G[S] with exposed glass in their pocket and never got a scratch, and if this glass is harder, what happened to it?
  • Reply 37 of 109
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    uh-oh!
  • Reply 38 of 109
    auclaucl Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdy View Post

I've had several iPhones since Apple released them and not one of them has every had the glass scratch. I have abused them traveling several hundred thousand miles a year, taking taxis all over the place, dropping them from upstairs to downstairs at home (oops), etc, and have yet to ever have the glass scratch or crack.

So if this stuff has already scratched under moderate abuse, it is informative.

Trolls can go home now.

[Edit] I have also never used any protection on them and I keep them in my pocket with keys, etc. The plastic back has scratched (duh) but the glass has always been pristine.

was not that lucky, ?

for me a small part of glass was breaking out once when my 3G was falling from 1,5m onto tiled floor. nothing disturbing.

just another time when that iphone fell to tiled floor it cracked. maybe cause of the cold climate or so, it had −20C environmental temp.

my 3GS's glass is so far unscratched, even if it was falling onto the street on first day, (? clumsy me) just the bezel got a little scratch
  • Reply 38 of 109
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Aw.. Come on... You would be instantly famous.

Yep he would be famous....... or infamous as the first person to BREAK their new iPhone 4 and look he even filmed it! LOL LOL
  • Reply 40 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

...and if this glass is harder, what happened to it?

? http://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/...ngthening.aspx