Glass back of iPhone 4 review unit collects 'incredibly minor' scratches

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdB-V...layer_embedded

EVEN AWESOMER!!!

Same as I said above. Jobs knows about this and says it is a software issue with the number of bars showing incorrectly. The same signal strength is there, it just shows it decreasing.

Please don't make me find where I read it!
  • Reply 82 of 109
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Jobs has already commented on this. The bars are incorrectly showing the signal strength and this will be fixed in a software update.

Considering the iPhone 4 is set for worldwide release (officially) tomorrow, maybe we'll also see iOS 4.0.1 tomorrow?
  • Reply 83 of 109
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm with you here and if the scratches can only be seen when looked at in a certain light and at a certain angle, it doesn't really matter that much, as long as you can use it when you look at it face on.

Personally, I tend to prefer devices that looked "lived in" than ones that look brand new, even when they're months old.

Me too. My three year old first gen iPhone is pretty beat up. Fine by me so long as it works, which it does. It's a phone, not a Van Gogh.*

* Sorry Steve.
  • Reply 84 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYmVp...layer_embedded

I guess we know why Apple has been hyping those rubber bumpers now...

I still say Jobs says it's a software problem. I don't believe Apple would put outside antennae and not do any real-time R&D.

Or, it's just a few of the newer production line phones.
  • Reply 85 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

I was at the Apple store today. The Genius had an ugly green plastic cover snapped onto his MBP. Top and Bottom. It reminded me of plastic slipcovers on furniture.

I agree. I think people are afraid to actually, you know, use the hardware they've paid for. I was like this with my iPhone 3G... Had a case on it 24/7, until the headphone cover broke off the case. I then took the whole thing off and just started using the iPhone 3G "naked." And you know what? I really have stopped caring so much. It's a phone. It hasn't acquired all that many scratches (just the typical hairline scratches all products get), and even if it does... So what? It won't affect the durability in any way, and almost all the scratches it could possibly get are the ones that can only be seen under harsh, artificial light.

With the iPhone 4, I'm not going to use any case or anything like that. The build quality seems solid and good at resisting scratches, but even if it does pick up minor scratches... Who cares?
  • Reply 86 of 109
    What Stevie said.
  • Reply 87 of 109
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

But I don't trust random YouTube videos.

I look for corroborating evidence on wikipedia then I'm sure it's true!
  • Reply 88 of 109
    You know, every report that I've read about this issue so far says that while the software claims the signal is degrading, call quality has actually been fine and there were no more dropped calls than usual.

So Jobs is probably right... It likely is a bug in iOS 4, and a 4.0.1 release will probably be out soon to address this issue and any others.
  • Reply 89 of 109
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

You know, every report that I've read about this issue so far says that while the software claims the signal is degrading, call quality has actually been fine and there were no more dropped calls than usual.

So Jobs is probably right... It likely is a bug in iOS 4, and a 4.0.1 release will probably be out soon to address this issue and any others.

Actually, the reports state that while the phone is at 1-bar, you are still connected to the other caller, but the other person can't hear what you're saying. Seems like a transmission-strength problems instead of a reception-strength problem.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    If you put any of the four iPhones face up on a table

and then slide them around on the surface, they will all be scratched but the dust and anything else on the table.

My mint condition 3GS is scratched ever so slightly, I do not use a case because it makes my thin iPhone thicker. Too thick.
  • Reply 91 of 109
    $30 for a rubber ring?
  • Reply 92 of 109
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

$30 for a rubber ring?

Don't consider it extortion, just consider it a donation to Apple's R&D department! $30 is a small investment for Apple to research into innovative, new antenna placement, you know, to actually be able to use the phone.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Directly from the iPhone 4 manual, although we know people won't bother to read it:

Keeping the outside of the iPhone clean:

"...the front and back glass surfaces have an oleophobic coating. To remove fingerprints simply wipe these surfaces with a soft, lint-free cloth. Note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch the glass."

An abrasive material would be anything other than a soft, lint-free cloth. I don't understand how people constantly drop their cell phones. Hold on to them like you hold on to your kid. Except for Britney Spears, you don't see people dropping their kids by accident on a regular basis.

Low blow. Accidents happen.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Now that's an excellent point.

I similarly don't understand people who put those huge leather covers on the front of their cars. A car with some scratches looks better than that crap!

It's kind of a chicken-egg thing. I was thinking of those car covers too when I said plastic sofa covers.

Anyway, I carry my iphone in a pocket with nothing else. It has a couple light scratches but nothing that bugs me. I admit the first week I have something like an iPhone I want it clean. But then I get over it. With the help of my little girls.
  • Reply 95 of 109
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    Rumor has it that only review units have this problem, and that what they're shipping is gorilla-fied on both sides.
  • Reply 96 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merlinw View Post

Might also be to keep folks from touching the antenna. Touching the antenna while holding the phone might decrease reception.

Possibly the inverse. Your body could actually become an extension of the ground plane which could conceivably improve reception. Not only did Apple make the frame part of the antenna but they made you part of it as well.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Rumor has it that only review units have this problem, and that what they're shipping is gorilla-fied on both sides.

That's what iFixit said as well, I think.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Will it scratch? Of course. Even Corning says it will. So what.

The real question is, "will it blend"?
  • Reply 99 of 109
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

$30 for a rubber ring?

Wait a few months. They'll be $4.99 at every mall kiosk.

Of course, for a rubber ring, that's still overpriced.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spork Heidelberg View Post

Yeah, it is stupid of Apple.

I was surfing around yesterday and found a site selling what looks like a good, if somewhat pricey, solution for protecting both the front and back of the new iPhone 4. They sell protectors for earlier iPhones and other gadgets as well:

http://www.zagg.com

Disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing to do with ZAGG, I'm just passing along what I found.

Yea, InvisibleShield has been around for a while. Some people really like them. Will be interesting to have it for the iPhone4.

Though honestly given the quality of the glass, if I get my iPhone 4 I will use it without bumpers or screen protectors. I am usually pretty anal about screen and case protectors. We'll see though, months away before iPhone 4 launches in my country.