Some early iPhone 4 shipments have defective screens, missing bars

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Some of the first iPhone 4 units shipped to customers have problems with yellow tinted displays and disappearing signal bars, users have reported.



As first reported by TUAW, some users who received an iPhone 4 early found that the Retina Display on the new handset has a discoloration in the bottom corners of the screen.



"In the bottom 10% of the screen there are three blotches about the size of shirt buttons that discolor the screen a brown/yellow color," one user wrote.



The issues are remniscent to a problem that plagued early adopters of the iPhone 3G who found their whole screen had a warmer, yellower hue than the original iPhone. Apple later said that the color tint was a deliberate decision.



In addition, others have said that the iPhone 4 occasionally drops signal bars when held in the hand. The same issue was also noted by Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal in his iPhone 4 review. He said the device sometimes registers no bars, or fewer bars than the iPhone 3GS, even though a call can still be placed.







"Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix," Mossberg wrote, "and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars."
«13456710

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 192
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    But can they also remedy screen issues with a simple software update?
  • Reply 2 of 192
    there are videos floating around suggesting this bar issue is real, but then there are also videos showing loss of bars with previous model iPhones.

    TIme will tell, but I sure hope Apple did not blunder the antenna...
  • Reply 3 of 192
    irelandireland Posts: 17,574member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    I am legitimately concerned. I'm actually not buying one now. This looks like a hardware issue folks.



    THIS IS A BIG DEAL, AND IT'S PISSING ME OFF. I WANTED AN IPHONE 4 LIKE CRAZY AND I CAN'T BUY NOW. I'M NOT BUYING UNTIL APPLE SOLVES THIS. THIS SHIT IS REAL.
  • Reply 4 of 192
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post


    there are videos floating around suggesting this bar issue is real, but then there are also videos showing loss of bars with previous model iPhones.

    TIme will tell, but I sure hope Apple did not blunder the antenna...



    happens on a lot of phones, apparently.



    http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...yline=true&s=i
  • Reply 5 of 192
    irelandireland Posts: 17,574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st3v3 View Post


    happens on a lot of phones, apparently.



    http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...yline=true&s=i



    A lot? Understatement. It's on the news, Twitter, the web and YouTube. Videos popping up "everywhere".
  • Reply 6 of 192
    As stated in the article, the bars piece isn't an actual problem, it's just cosmetic. The screen blotches... welp.
  • Reply 7 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "In the bottom 10% of the screen there are three blotches about the size of shirt buttons that discolor the screen a brown/yellow color," one user wrote.



    The issues are remniscent to a problem that plagued early adopters of the iPhone 3G who found their whole screen had a warmer, yellower hue than the original iPhone. Apple later said that the color tint was a deliberate decision.



    If the iPhone 3G problem was a uniform yellow hue and the iPhone 4 screen problem is yellow blotches, how are the two reminiscent? The former is a matter of user preference, while the later is an objective issue. Is AppleInsider trying to be dismissive of the iPhone 4 screen issue?
  • Reply 8 of 192
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    I am legitimately concerned. I'm actually not buying one now. This looks like a hardware issue folks.



    THIS IS A BIG DEAL, AND IT'S PISSING ME OFF. I WANTED AN IPHONE 4 LIKE CRAZY AND I CAN'T BUY NOW. I'M NOT BUYING UNTIL APPLE SOLVES THIS. THIS SHIT IS REAL.



    lol....
  • Reply 9 of 192
    irelandireland Posts: 17,574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yakattak View Post


    As stated in the article, the bars piece isn't an actual problem, it's just cosmetic. The screen blotches... welp.



    It's not cosmetic. It makes calls drop, I've watched about 30 videos now. And it even slows down to a stop and speed-test over 3G. It seems to effect WiFi too.



    It's certainly not merely cosmetic. To suggest that after all the video demonstrations that have popped up is an insult to reality.
  • Reply 10 of 192
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    I am legitimately concerned. I'm actually not buying one now. This looks like a hardware issue folks.



    THIS IS A BIG DEAL, AND IT'S PISSING ME OFF. I WANTED AN IPHONE 4 LIKE CRAZY AND I CAN'T BUY NOW. I'M NOT BUYING UNTIL APPLE SOLVES THIS. THIS SHIT IS REAL.



    A case might solve this in the short term. I will be opening my phone in the store to check out the display!!
  • Reply 11 of 192
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yakattak View Post


    As stated in the article, the bars piece isn't an actual problem, it's just cosmetic. The screen blotches... welp.



    That was in that one guy's case. Check out the article I posted. Unfortunately it seems to have a large effect on the download speed of the devices.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    A lot? Understatement. It's on the news, Twitter, the web and YouTube. Videos popping up "everywhere".



    Very true. Some have even stated they believe this is the reason behind apple's "protective cases" which only cover the sides.
  • Reply 12 of 192
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Some of the first iPhone 4 units shipped to customers have problems with yellow tinted displays and disappearing signal bars, users have reported.



    I wish you'd stop this crap. Apple sold 600,000 iPhone 4 units. Some will be defective. Until you can provide some figures, your attempt to stir up trouble is worthless.



    As soon as you have a percentage or a total number of defective units, go ahead an publish.
  • Reply 13 of 192
    irelandireland Posts: 17,574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    I wish you'd stop this crap. Apple sold 600,000 iPhone 4 units. Some will be defective. Until you can provide some figures, your attempt to stir up trouble is worthless.



    As soon as you have a percentage or a total number of defective units, go ahead an publish.



    You're the one talking crap.
  • Reply 14 of 192
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    The signal thing happens on my old iPhone too. It couldn't be any worse, really. I literally have a certain seating position in my house I use to send text messages. And half the time the phone shows 5 bar reception. [edit] What I mean is I have to hold my phone between two finger s high in the air to get the messages to actually send.



    HOWEVER, in most places other than my home, I have none of the same issues. I think I'll wait and see how the new hardware behaves for me and if it is REALLY as bad as people are saying it will be easy to get a refund.



    Simple as that.
  • Reply 15 of 192
    irelandireland Posts: 17,574member
    More "PROOF". Without rag it drops, with rag and no antenna-link it doesn't drop. This may be the stupidest thing Apple have even done. And what's worse, they done it on the coolest phone EVR! I hang my head in shame.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1KFgiwm-Q0
  • Reply 16 of 192
    Where are all the Apple fanboys now who screamed "build quality" when the Evo had issues? Hope you all don't have to use bluetooth to make a call for the next year until you upgrade!
  • Reply 17 of 192
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,973member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    I am legitimately concerned. I'm actually not buying one now. This looks like a hardware issue folks.



    THIS IS A BIG DEAL, AND IT'S PISSING ME OFF. I WANTED AN IPHONE 4 LIKE CRAZY AND I CAN'T BUY NOW. I'M NOT BUYING UNTIL APPLE SOLVES THIS. THIS SHIT IS REAL.



    So you immediately assume this is pervasive and all inclusive. I think your tin foil hat needs adjusting, serious adjusting.
  • Reply 18 of 192
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    More "PROOF". Without rag it drops, with rag and no antenna-link it doesn't drop. This may be the stupidest thing Apple have even done. And what's worse, they done it on the coolest phone EVR! I hang my head in shame.



    Instead of grabbing my pitchfork and torch, I think I'll slap an invisible shield around the steel antenna, and enjoy my new phone.
  • Reply 19 of 192
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 6,973member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post


    Where are all the Apple fanboys now who screamed "build quality" when the Evo had issues? Hope you all don't have to use bluetooth to make a call for the next year until you upgrade!



    Mirror, mirror, on the wall, why do trolls exist at all?
  • Reply 20 of 192
    This is exactly why I wait a couple of months before I buy products new to the market.
Sign In or Register to comment.