Apple investigating multi-haptic feedback for multi-touch devices

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Future multi-touch devices like the iPhone and iPad could offer a number of physical feedback responses to a user's touch, resulting in a more interactive and efficient input method through haptic feedback.



The details of a haptic feedback system are detailed in a new patent application filed by Apple, and revealed this week by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Entitled "Multi Touch with Multi Haptics," it describes a system that would detect multi-touch gestures, and provide "an appropriate multi-haptic response."



"Research has shown that providing the multi-touch surface with the ability to provide physical (haptic) feedback makes the multi-touch experience even more efficient and realistic to the user," the application reads. "For example, physical keyboards provide a physical indication (a bump, for example) indicative of the home key. This physical sensation can not be provided by a conventional multi-touch system thereby forcing the user to visually locate the home key thereby making keyboard use less efficient and fatiguing."



Apple's invention would provide at least two distinct tactile feedback points based on a user touching multiple points on a multi-touch surface. The application also describes a surface that would be able to detect the amount of pressure applied to the surface by the user, and would provide haptic feedback according to that pressure.



This would all be made possible through the use of haptic actuators located under the touch-sensitive screen, allowing users to feel sensations on their fingers on specific portions of the display. An iPhone or iPad could be divided into separate zones, and the display would feature a number of zones that would each have their own unique haptic feedback.







The system would allow users to essentially feel the screen as they manipulate objects on it. One example included in the application has a user pinching to zoom in on a map of California. The haptic feedback would follow their fingers as they pulled apart on the device. In this example, the haptic feedback would be less when the fingers are closer together, and greater as the fingers move apart.



The haptic feedback could also be used to let users know when a certain boundary is being approached. For example, the feedback could become greater if a user is zoomed in as far as they can go, letting the user know that they can not zoom in any farther. The application notes that the zoom gesture method could be particularly beneficial in publishing, photo and drawing programs.







It also describes a virtual scroll wheel, which users could rotate by using two fingers. Users could invoke a scroll wheel with a two-finger gesture, and while rotating the wheel, at least two haptic actuators would provide the sensation of a "click" to each of the two fingers.







The application was filed for on April 6, 2009. It is credited to Bobby Burrough and Benjamin J. Pope.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 21
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

    Future multi-touch devices like the iPhone and iPad could offer a number of physical feedback responses to a user's touch, resulting in a more interactive and efficient input method through haptic feedback.





    Like a girlfriend?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    I'm not being funny, or a troll as one guy here would mislead some to believe, but isn't about time you guys "updated" the "missing bars" post to point out the actual seriousness on this issue. It's not merely cosmetic like Walt suggested, it's far more seriousness.



    Video proof here, deny it all you want. And call me a troll all you want. I love Apple, their products and their software, but this issue isn't going away anytime soon. It seems like it very may well be a blunder of biblical proportions.



    Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc#t=1m30s



    Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    Exhibit C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE
  • Reply 3 of 21
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm not being funny, or a troll as one guy here would lead some to believe, but isn't about time you guys "updated" the "missing bars" post to point out the actual seriousness on this issue. It's not merely cosmetic like Walt suggested, it's far more seriousness. The news are reporting it and Gizmodo and Engadget and a whole host of other have picked up on it big time.



    Exhibit R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc#t=1m30s



    Exhibit S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw







    Another off-topic post by Ireland!



    Oh Jesus, this just too funny. Sorry Ireland, I just can't help joking at the role reversal when I was so passionate about the annoying glossy screens and couldn't buy a new Mac because of the glare hurting my eyes.



    Cue Slopsisms troll police post... in five... four... three... two...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This patent looks pretty good. I wonder if we can expect this first on the iPod Touch coming this Autumn. It seems like every year they release the Touch with tech the iPhone doesn't get until the following year.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm not being funny, or a troll...



    Now you're thread jacking because some people have inevitable problems with CE?



    PS: There will be a lot more issues next year and each subsequent year.



    PPS: Sent from my perfectly working iPhone 4.



    edit: It's good that SpotOn can predict that I'll make a rational post calling out people acting like asses or, more likely, this was a preemptive comment to prevent me from calling out Ireland and reducing his argument to rubble. Perhaps one day he'll learn to add constructive comments to a conversation as a result.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm not being funny, or a troll as one guy here would lead some to believe, but isn't about time you guys "updated" the "missing bars" post to point out the actual seriousness on this issue. It's not merely cosmetic like Walt suggested, it's far more seriousness. The news are reporting it and Gizmodo and Engadget and a whole host of other have picked up on it big time.



    Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc#t=1m30s



    Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    Exhibit C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE



    Ah yes, we can certainly rely on Gizmodo/Engadget to provide unbiased news about Apple. I would rather see these guys "update" what's happening with the legal investigation of the misappropriated iPhone 4. Remember that? It was the only thing everyone was talking about a couple of months ago.



    Also, you still think OLED screens are the only way forward for handhelds? Seems like old school Retina has brought stunning new quality to the screen front. I recall you had a lot to say about that a while back. How about an "update"?



    Sorry, just feeling feisty this morning.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Haptic - the branch of psychology that investigates cutaneous sense data
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    As long as I can turn off that option, I'm good.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It's good that SpotOn can predict that I'll make a rational post calling out people acting like asses or, more likely, this was a preemptive comment to prevent me from calling out Ireland and reducing his argument to rubble. Perhaps one day he'll learn to add constructive comments to a conversation as a result.





    Maybe one day you'll realize how stoic you are and how it upsets you that others act like the emotional human beings they are.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm not being funny, or a troll as one guy here would mislead some to believe, but isn't about time you guys "updated" the "missing bars" post to point out the actual seriousness on this issue. It's not merely cosmetic like Walt suggested, it's far more seriousness.



    Video proof here, deny it all you want. And call me a troll all you want. I love Apple, their products and their software, but this issue isn't going away anytime soon. It seems like it very may well be a blunder of biblical proportions.



    Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc#t=1m30s



    Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    Exhibit C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE



    i tried to replicate all three of these with my phone. still have 5 bars the entire time. no loss of signal at all, no dropped call. bottom line - i'm not having any of these issues.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    i tried to replicate all three of these with my phone. still have 5 bars the entire time. no loss of signal at all, no dropped call. bottom line - i'm not having any of these issues.



    Watch out, if seeing a YouTube video doesn't convince you that it's a design flaw affecting all units then you're an Apple Fanboy. What's even ore pathetic is that Ireland and SpotOn don't have the new device but now feel it's there mission in life to let every know how bad they are.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post


    i tried to replicate all three of these with my phone. still have 5 bars the entire time. no loss of signal at all, no dropped call. bottom line - i'm not having any of these issues.



    Try using a penny.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Watch out, if seeing a YouTube video doesn't convince you that it's a design flaw affecting all units then you're an Apple Fanboy. What's even ore pathetic is that Ireland and SpotOn don't have the new device but now feel it's there mission in life to let every know how bad they are.



    No, it's my attempt (not my "mission in life", as you put it) to help publicize this "real issue" so Apple will address it and fix it and I can buy an iPhone 4.



    You have an attitude problem.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    No, it's my attempt (not my "mission in life", as you put it) to help publicize this "real issue" so Apple will address it and fix it and I can buy an iPhone 4.



    You have an attitude problem.



    dude, stop putting random words within quotation marks. It hurts your argument because it makes you sound stupid.



    How do you know its a "real issue"? Stop being so dramatic. The phone has been out all of one day. How about you let things get corroborated? You know, people who post these things have a conflict of interest because they want people to watch them - so to take seriously a YouTube video or journalist who makes these claims immediately is pretty foolish.



    The sky is falling, indeed.



    BOT: I always wondered why pressure-sensitive gestures didn't exist.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Watch out, if seeing a YouTube video doesn't convince you that it's a design flaw affecting all units then you're an Apple Fanboy. What's even ore pathetic is that Ireland and SpotOn don't have the new device but now feel it's there mission in life to let every know how bad they are.





    And exactly how many times have you hit your wife and kicked the dog?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    dude, stop putting random words within quotation marks. It hurts your argument because it makes you sound stupid.



    Point taken. I'll stop it now.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I'm not being funny, or a troll as one guy here would mislead some to believe, but isn't about time you guys "updated" the "missing bars" post to point out the actual seriousness on this issue. It's not merely cosmetic like Walt suggested, it's far more seriousness.



    Video proof here, deny it all you want. And call me a troll all you want. I love Apple, their products and their software, but this issue isn't going away anytime soon. It seems like it very may well be a blunder of biblical proportions.



    Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc#t=1m30s



    Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb3aQ5XoQw



    Exhibit C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE



    don't worry

    apple is doomed
  • Reply 17 of 21
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Point taken. I'll stop it now.



    Great job - you managed to hijack the topic so that over a dozen of the lasts post had NOTHING to do with the article. Go to the forums or somewhere else but not here for random ramblings with no relevance to the article.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    Great job - you managed to hijack the topic so that over a dozen of the lasts post had NOTHING to do with the article. Go to the forums or somewhere else but not here for random ramblings with no relevance to the article.



    cool.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    nhtnht Posts: 4,429member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    BOT: I always wondered why pressure-sensitive gestures didn't exist.



    It's hard to do on a transmissive screen. The implementations I've seen involve a projector onto a haptic surface...I wonder how their haptic actuators keep from blocking the light source or if they deform that too.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post


    Another off-topic post by Ireland!



    Cue Slopsisms troll police post... in five... four... three... two...



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post




    Now you're thread jacking because some people have inevitable problems with CE?



    PS: There will be a lot more issues next year and each subsequent year.



    PPS: Sent from my perfectly working iPhone 4.



    edit: It's good that SpotOn can predict that I'll make a rational post calling out people acting like asses or, more likely, this was a preemptive comment to prevent me from calling out Ireland and reducing his argument to rubble. Perhaps one day he'll learn to add constructive comments to a conversation as a result.





    SpotOn's prediction made this thread. An apt username, no doubt!



    (No foul meant to any party in this debate -- but preferably it will happen where appropriate.)
Sign In or Register to comment.