iPhone 4 Review: 1 - Hardware Fit & Finish

Comments

• Reply 21 of 338
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Honestly, the author epitomizes "fanboyness", although we can expect nothing less as every article on this site is the same. No criticism, only praise. Really, can't you for once show a bit of journalistic integrity and write a somewhat objective article? Praising virtually every component of every Apple product is, frankly, sickening and pathetic. Give yourself a douchebag high 5 on the way out..

To be fair there are a few writers here that tend to keep is more real. Daniel Eran (The Prince) isn't one of them, though.
  • Reply 22 of 338
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Honestly, the author epitomizes "fanboyness", although we can expect nothing less as every article on this site is the same. No criticism, only praise. Really, can't you for once show a bit of journalistic integrity and write a somewhat objective article? Praising virtually every component of every Apple product is, frankly, sickening and pathetic. Give yourself a douchebag high 5 on the way out..

I thought it was pretty good read. I think that the iPhone, in terms of hardware, is the best out there. They have managed to remove all plastic (at least externally) from the device. I would have had a fit if he didn't mention the antenna controversy.

Look, I think Dilger is a fanboy but he is an incredibly smart one. Those words "incredibly smart one" are not exaggerated. His one flaw is that he believes that Apple is incapable of flaws or he doesn't mention them within the Jobs era. I can still remember how he defended Apple's lack of multitasking on a smartphone on the Tech Night Owl podcast saying that smartphones shouldn't have them until a little over a month later when he co-wrote an article saying the iPhone would have multitasking in 4.0.

Dilger, you seem like a nice guy, but I hope to never see those awkward videos on RoughlyDrafted again.
  • Reply 23 of 338
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Great article Dan, as per usual. Boy am I drooling to see a similar display (it won't be as high in ppi of course) go into the ipad rev. b. Less bright and more sharp, would mean a real treat to read on.
  • Reply 24 of 338
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Spot on review. This new iPhone 4 is a huge leap. The screen size isn't any bigger but you get so much more out of it, it often feels bigger, especially on the web.

I live in converted old barns with nearly 2 feet thick stone walls and now get great reception on wifi all through the house and all around it, whereas it was spotty on my old 3G.

I switched carrier from O2 to Vodafone and again now get complete data, and voice, coverage indoors and complete and faster coverage outdoors. How much that has to do with the new design I don't know but it's much more noticeable than I had anticipated.

I could go on and on, I'm thrilled by this thing!
  • Reply 25 of 338
    Dan from the way your article reads I would almost think you were masturbating and getting off all over this thing. You need to loosen your grip a bit.
  • Reply 26 of 338
    I have to laugh at these comments on being a "fanboy". Lets face it folks - there is no other phone on the market with this build quality... period!

You can like Apple or hate Apple all you want, but there's no arguing that they definitely understand "Design".

BTW - if you haven't actually seen or held an iPhone 4 in person - its hard to describe how nice it really is.

Flame away...
  • Reply 27 of 338
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

It seems to be SO new it's killed an interesting mix of my iPhone accessories that worked with my 3GS only three days ago. (I think they were broken by the hardware and not the new iOs--i upgraded to v 4 several days before the phone came out, but i only noticed the failures after getting the iP4)

Examples:

--My Kensington Nightstand doesn't charge my new phone.

--half a dozen short usb-to-iphone connector cables no longer work (connecting the new iP4 to my MBP via any of those cables does NOT trigger the opening of iPhoto to import photos; it does NOT trigger the opening of iTunes; even if I open iTunes manually the new iP4 does not show up as a device, using those cables--in other words, i can no longer sync using those cables).

It'd be interesting to know what changes were made in the iPhone connector, and why.

I'd like others to report here: Are any of your accessories still working? third-party chargers? docks? etc.

All of my cables and other accessories that plug into the dock port are still working, with the exception of the cable that came with my Griffin car charger. The problem with that charger is that its dock plug is too thick to make it through the associated slit in the bumper that I have around the phone. So it doesn't make a clean connection. Perhaps you are having the same issue, i.e. a problem with the bumper, not the phone?

Thompson
  • Reply 28 of 338
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The iPhone 4 is beautiful. The iPhone 4 feels solid. The iPhone 4 is thin. The iPhone 4 is physically smaller and sleek. The iPhone 4 is simple to use. The iPhone 4 has one of the best displays out there. The iPhone 4 is fast! The iPhone 4 has the best OS out there. The iPhone 4 has super cameras. The iPhone 4 has the best games and third parry apps. The iPhone 4 has it all?

But this new iPhone 4 has a big issue, and until that big issue is properly addressed I won't be buying an iPhone 4, and I certainly won't be recommending it. This: "just don't hold it in that way" crap is a big deal, and Steve needs to get his head out of his ass if he thinks people are going to accept it. The word on the street is hold off on purchasing an iPhone 4 until we know more. And the word is spreading. I want an iPhone 4 like the next guy, I have the money up stairs for it in fact. But this antenna debacle isn't going away anytime soon. Apple needs to wake up and fix the issue at hand, rather than blaming their customers for holding it wrong.

Yes, we're still pissed about. Why wouldn't we be. Apple makes some of the best products in the world. We expect more from Apple. Some of us Mac fans we're taken aback by Steve's comment. Surely Apple is abandoning it's principles?

Great device, but...

Are you really that much against getting a bumper, which serves to also protect the phone in case of a drop? (The bumper even does come up a bit above the edge, making it likely that the rubber will hit the ground first if you drop it on a flat surface.)

I have verified that the bumper prevents this signal issue.

Thompson
  • Reply 29 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Examples:

--My Kensington Nightstand doesn't charge my new phone.

--half a dozen short usb-to-iphone connector cables no longer work (connecting the new iP4 to my MBP via any of those cables does NOT trigger the opening of iPhoto to import photos; it does NOT trigger the opening of iTunes; even if I open iTunes manually the new iP4 does not show up as a device, using those cables--in other words, i can no longer sync using those cables).

It'd be interesting to know what changes were made in the iPhone connector, and why.

I'd like others to report here: Are any of your accessories still working? third-party chargers? docks? etc.

I have a Kensington battery pack charger that still works and a Griffin car kit that still works. I guess when I synced my settings over to the iPhone 4 it synced my bluetooth code for my car stereo because that connected instantly. My windshield mount doesn't fit.
  • Reply 30 of 338
    maxtoshmaxtosh Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The iPhone 4 is beautiful. The iPhone 4 feels solid. The iPhone 4 is thin. The iPhone 4 is physically smaller and sleek. The iPhone 4 is simple to use. The iPhone 4 has one of the best displays out there. The iPhone 4 is fast! The iPhone 4 has the best OS out there. The iPhone 4 has super cameras. The iPhone 4 has the best games and third parry apps. The iPhone 4 has it all?

But this new iPhone 4 has a big issue, and until that big issue is properly addressed I won't be buying an iPhone 4, and I certainly won't be recommending it. This: "just don't hold it in that way" crap is a big deal, and Steve needs to get his head out of his ass if he thinks people are going to accept it. The word on the street is hold off on purchasing an iPhone 4 until we know more. And the word is spreading. I want an iPhone 4 like the next guy, I have the money up stairs for it in fact. But this antenna debacle isn't going away anytime soon. Apple needs to wake up and fix the issue at hand, rather than blaming their customers for holding it wrong.

Yes, we're still pissed about. Why wouldn't we be. Apple makes some of the best products in the world. We expect more from Apple. Some of us Mac fans we're taken aback by Steve's comment. Surely Apple is abandoning it's principles?

Great device, but...

I hope more people hold off so i can buy mine sooner rather than later. They were sold out after day one where I live.
  • Reply 31 of 338
    ski1ski1 Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Are you really that much against getting a bumper, which serves to also protect the phone in case of a drop? (The bumper even does come up a bit above the edge, making it likely that the rubber will hit the ground first if you drop it on a flat surface.)

I have verified that the bumper prevents this signal issue.

Thompson

How is that thin plastic bumper that only covers the strongest part of the iPhone 4 (the metal), going to protect it in a fall ? And why should anyone buy an accessory just so your phone works properly ?
  • Reply 32 of 338
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscottmyers View Post

I have to laugh at these comments on being a "fanboy". Lets face it folks - there is no other phone on the market with this build quality... period!

You can like Apple or hate Apple all you want, but there's no arguing that they definitely understand "Design".

BTW - if you haven't actually seen or held an iPhone 4 in person - its hard to describe how nice it really is.

Flame away...

The flames will be coming I assure you but it won't be from me. The iPhone , in terms of hardware, is flawless. The antenna MAY BE something else.

You cannot mention design until we see a solution to the problem. Right now it seems like this is an issue with at least 50% of all iPhones. I presume Apple has an answer but you never know. If it is a recall then it will be a massive one.
  • Reply 33 of 338
    he clearly stated this was about just the "hardware fit and finish" and plans to cover "phone and facetime" in part 2.

Not a fanboy at all, but its hard to argue with him on the design of the phone.
  • Reply 34 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

The iphone 4's display is freaking awesome. Will I get it? Hell yeah!!!!!!

You think I'm stupid?

The iphone has the most engaging and robust media ecosystem on the market.

HTV EVO can go suck it!!!!

My sentiments exactly
  • Reply 35 of 338
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ski1 View Post

And why should anyone buy an accessory just so your phone works properly ?

I have had terrible problems with the death grip and contacted Applecare, they told me to restore my phone which I did. He, the AppleCare level 2 technician, stayed on the phone till it had restored and heard me laying the phone down and getting full signal then lightly picking it up as usual and going quickly to "no service". He told me that they would replace the phone. He is calling me back (this was later on on Friday) on Mon, Tues. SJ's comments left me feeling insulted (I was someone who had had nothing bad to say about him) but clearly, as most of us here are used to, Apple won't expect people to live with a faulty product.
  • Reply 36 of 338
    Chiming in with my experience:

Vis-a-vis the antenna issue: I haven't experienced dropped calls or decreased data speed (using Speedtest or bringing up web pages) with any grip I've tried (though perhaps my hands aren't sweaty enough). I've already made and received calls in places where I couldn't get service with my 3G phone, and I have yet to have a call fail in my house (where probably 30-50% of my 3G phone calls would fail).

Besides the display, which continues to amaze me, I'd have to say the biggest pleasant surprise is that 3G service on my new phone feels as fast as WiFi service on my old (3G) phone--not upgrading to the 3GS last year is the reason, of course, but I'm sure appreciating the MAJOR speed increase for all functions.

This phone is WAY easier to drop, though, than my 3G, so I'll be ponying up either for a bumper or -- hopefully -- a knockoff since $30 is an excessive price, I think, for a rubber ring that probably costs $5 including packaging. It'll be a damn shame to hide the stainless steel design though.
  • Reply 37 of 338
    vmccvmcc Posts: 11member
    Jesus, Daniel. You're so far up Steve Jobs ass, it's hard to tell where he leaves off and you begin. You need to move out of your mom's basement and get a life.
  • Reply 38 of 338
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    There are some designs that Apple comes out with that I just don't love. This is one of them. The glass seems like it'll be a problem. Of all the iPhone designs I like this one the least.

Face Time seems incomplete. It needs to work as a phone call AND as iChat, not a combination of both while being neither. I guess a software update can fix that but it seems silly to have to switch from a phone call to WiFi.

The metal rim feels weird in the hand and the edge is a bit too sharp. I don't understand why they did not make the metal thinner and bring it flush with the glass. I just doesn't look good to me.

The screen is spectacular but it doesn't make THAT much difference on such a small screen. I know it'll be a year before the next phone but I guess I'll have to wait.

Of course, the iPad will probably be getting a camera when it gets updated and there's got to be a new Mac Pro right around the corner so it may best if I save my Apple budget for the future.
  • Reply 39 of 338
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Part of the reason for that is that everything else in the world is marching toward being efficiently cheap. When iPhone 3G appeared, I noted that despite its vulgar cheapness, the new design would enabling Apple to reach a wider, broader audience. This time around, Apple is wooing smartphone users upscale, but without jacking up the price.

The reason why the iPhone 3G/3GS had a plastic back hasn't got anything to do with reducing costs. The real reason, surprise surprise, it's down to our friend Mr. Antenna again. The signal propagates through plastic better than it does metal (or skin ).

This is why virtually all cell phones are at least partially made from plastic. Cost is very much a secondary concern.
  • Reply 40 of 338
    unknownzunknownz Posts: 14member
    "Unlike previous iPhones, there's no cheap plastic back cover...blah blah blah...but retained that same cheap looking plastic body"

It never was "cheap plastic" before when the iPhone 3G and 3GS came out. What a douche thing to say...it does read like an advertisement, forcing those who have "cheap plastic" iPhones to upgrade because it is now a published fact on the internet that they own cheap plastic crap. The author must base his value as a human being on what Apple product he owns.