Users report issues with iPhone 4 proximity sensor during calls

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    True! I have been experiencing the same thing. Easily remedied by tilting the phone away from my face, but irritating nontheless.

When I am connected to a call and I lean the iPhone 4 against my face it starts dialing numbers. My iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) really worked well in this area.

So I hope that Apple will notice this and come up with a fix sooner than later.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

True! I have been experiencing the same thing. Easily remedied by tilting the phone away from my face, but irritating nontheless.

When I am connected to a call and I lean the iPhone 4 against my face it starts dialing numbers. My iPhone 3G (not 3Gs) really worked well in this area.

So I hope that Apple will notice this and come up with a fix sooner than later.

This, too, can be remedied with a piece tape. Just cover the sensor above the ear speaker after you accept a call.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

I'm wondering if this had to do with the fact that I first got my 4G, I restored from a backup from my older 3GS...maybe something is just wonky in the process...

I had the same thought. How many folks with issues backed up from a pre iOS4 phone. rather than setting up as a new phone and doing a fresh sync or did a restore and then used a back up
  • Reply 64 of 101
    merlinwmerlinw Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. 230 posts on the thread covering this topic.

That probably breaks down as:

- The original poster who had a problem

- 17 trolls who immediately said that they have the same problem and Apple needs to fix it immediately, even though they don't even own iPhones

- 47 people saying "I don't have a problem"

- The original poster responding to all 47 of the above saying "well, I do"

- 30 people claiming that Apple is doomed because their product quality has gotten so bad

- 52 people saying that iPhone buyers are lemmings and would buy anything Apple puts out

- 10 people who claim that Apple is for babies / idiots / sissies

- And the rest looking for directions to the rest room.

When will the people who write these idiotic stories ever get it into their heads- a complaint of a problem is irrelevant. As soon as they can provide numbers showing how many people are experiencing the problem and whether it's greater than or less than the competition, THEN maybe it would be worth writing the story.

Well +5 for this. no problems here. It is a touch screen, you have to remember not to touch the screen with your chin or whatever Nothing will ever be PERFECT!!! Nothing.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    Don't you guys think it's a deliberate move on Apple's part to thwart/delay jailbreaking?

Let's see, the dev team have been talking about the loophole they found for a long time. They have been postponing the release of the jailbreak till the 4.0 comes out since they are afraid Apple will fix it asap.

Apple don't care much for 3G anymore, it's history now, and on 3GS it's impossible to downgrade if you don't have the backup of your firmware thingy on Saurik's server. Not a lot of people know that, or it seems that way at least.

So, they deliberately release a defective firmware there's no downgrade from, then they'll fix the loopholes, release 4.0.1 or 4.1 and there's no way in hell you can jailbreak it on the new iPhone and on 3gs.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    I had the problem with the proximity sensor when making phone calls on with the new iPhone 4. I tried the Reset All Settings and that did not fix the problem. Tonight I spent 2 hours on the phone with a high level Apple tech support person trying to fix the problem. WE DID FIND A FIX. When I first got my new iPhone 4 on June 24, I restored it to the backup I did from my iPhone 3GS. All my data transferred over and I thought all was great till I discovered the the proximity sensor issue when making calls. The problem was resolved by doing a total restore as if it was a new phone. My contacts, calendars, and bookmarks were restored as soon as I added back my mobile Me account in e mail account set up since they were all backed up on Mobile Me. All my apps automatically updated during the process, but lost my folders and arrangements, which I have to adjust manually. Also had to bring in my music, videos, and photos with a new sync. It takes a bit of time to do this, but the proximity sensor on phone calls works like a charm. Hope this helps someone else.

• Reply 67 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hoteinstein View Post

Don't you guys think it's a deliberate move on Apple's part to thwart/delay jailbreaking?

Let's see, the dev team have been talking about the loophole they found for a long time. They have been postponing the release of the jailbreak till the 4.0 comes out since they are afraid Apple will fix it asap.

Apple don't care much for 3G anymore, it's history now, and on 3GS it's impossible to downgrade if you don't have the backup of your firmware thingy on Saurik's server. Not a lot of people know that, or it seems that way at least.

So, they deliberately release a defective firmware there's no downgrade from, then they'll fix the loopholes, release 4.0.1 or 4.1 and there's no way in hell you can jailbreak it on the new iPhone and on 3gs.

Let's just say that it's an interesting theory.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davefox73 View Post

I had the problem with the proximity sensor when making phone calls on with the new iPhone 4. I tried the Reset All Settings and that did not fix the problem. Tonight I spent 2 hours on the phone with a high level Apple tech support person trying to fix the problem. WE DID FIND A FIX. When I first got my new iPhone 4 on June 24, I restored it to the backup I did from my iPhone 3GS. All my data transferred over and I thought all was great till I discovered the the proximity sensor issue when making calls. The problem was resolved by doing a total restore as if it was a new phone. My contacts, calendars, and bookmarks were restored as soon as I added back my mobile Me account in e mail account set up since they were all backed up on Mobile Me. All my apps automatically updated during the process, but lost my folders and arrangements, which I have to adjust manually. Also had to bring in my music, videos, and photos with a new sync. It takes a bit of time to do this, but the proximity sensor on phone calls works like a charm. Hope this helps someone else.

It's good that you got a fix, even though it was a pain to do.

But, you've got admit that it's odd that a sensor that should have nothing to do with that would be affected by it.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    That solution isn't going to work for some of us since we're not coming from a previous iPhone to an iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 is my first iPhone.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

That solution isn't going to work for some of us since we're not coming from a previous iPhone to an iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 is my first iPhone.

Same here. I have the problem and I didn't restore from a backup.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    How about they fix the non-existant ambient light sensor in the 3GS..........
  • Reply 72 of 101
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Deleted
  • Reply 73 of 101
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some early adopters of the iPhone 4 say they have experienced poor performance from the handset's proximity sensor, which turns off the touchscreen when the device is held against one's ear during a call.

Only ever an issue for me when the phone isn't actually touching my ear.

As an aside, the iPhone 4 doesn't have proximity sensor (at least there aren't any in the iFixit teardown). I believe it uses the front-facing camera, so theoretically it can activate if you move the phone away from your face in a very bright environment, as I noticed.

But if you hold the phone against your ear (like most sane individuals) it isn't a problem.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Do you guys have some software to do this count? I sure hope you do. It can be quite time consuming otherwise.

Exactly. Do not post until they see how many have posted, but those that posted are not suppose to post until... Oh wait... D'oh!

Sorry for being off topic everyone.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Let us know if this continues to take, am willing to do the above if your issue remains solved.

Thanks for the report!
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Let us know if this continues to take, am willing to do the above if your issue remains solved.

Thanks for the report!

Still working OK on day two, but what a pain in the butt to get everything back the way it was.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I have encountered this when trapping the phone between my shoulder and my ear. Solution: Stop trapping it between my shoulder and my ear.

Going to try the above advice of a full restore as I had restored my 3GS backup onto my iPhone 4 too.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    kevinrkevinr Posts: 3member
    I was actually wondering about this. I've had my calls mute mid call about 4 times since I received my phone on the 23rd. Usually it happens because I looked at the clock and then put the phone back to my ear. I was thinking the sensor seemed sluggish, as I've never had this issue with the 3G. At least now I know it's not just me.
  • Reply 79 of 101
    I've been having the same problems with my phone dialing contacts, putting people on hold, and on speakerphone. It sent emails and opened apps while I was on the phone. This never was a problem on my 3GS.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Still working OK on day two, but what a pain in the butt to get everything back the way it was.

OK, one more checkin, still good? If so, I will go through the pain.