Users report issues with iPhone 4 proximity sensor during calls

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    theogttheogt Posts: 16member
    I can confirm I had this happen as well. I recently had the replaced due to a separate issue (front-facing camera caused the phone to lockup) and have not had it happen on my current phone.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Only ever an issue for me when the phone isn't actually touching my ear.

As an aside, the iPhone 4 doesn't have proximity sensor (at least there aren't any in the iFixit teardown). I believe it uses the front-facing camera, so theoretically it can activate if you move the phone away from your face in a very bright environment, as I noticed.

But if you hold the phone against your ear (like most sane individuals) it isn't a problem.

It has a proximity sensor. Otherwise, that camera would have to be on all the time, which it isn't.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    Great phone! Big improvement on the already great iPhone 3GS!

I am left-handed and had problem with dropped calls.

Bought a Body Glove iPhone 4 case today at the AT&T Store (yes, the AT&T Store) in the local mall.

Problem solved!

Good Luck to Everyone!

Alan

'
  • Reply 84 of 101
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The sensor may be located at a different place with the different models, and software calibration may play a role, too.

However, at least the original iPhone has similar issues, at least if you have long hair and/or facial hair getting between sensor and skin. So the iPhone works well for jarheads, but not for hippies...
  • Reply 85 of 101
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

The sensor may be located at a different place with the different models, and software calibration may play a role, too.

However, at least the original iPhone has similar issues, at least if you have long hair and/or facial hair getting between sensor and skin. So the iPhone works well for jarheads, but not for hippies...

Ha, failing here, all members of the jarhead clan.
  • Reply 86 of 101
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's a good thing we don't do that here, huh? Complain all you want to.

Props to melgross & other AI mods. This is a very good thing.
  • Reply 87 of 101
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

It has a proximity sensor. Otherwise, that camera would have to be on all the time, which it isn't.

No, it doesn't have a proximity sensor, the WWDC keynote slide confirms this as there is no mention of a proximity sensor, and also no mention of one in the iFixIt teardown (which describes every other relevant component). There is also no hole, which would be visible in bright sunlight, on the front of the phone other than that for the camera.

The proximity sensor was only ever active when you were in a call and not using speakerphone. That would be the exact same use-case with the camera, surely?

Also, the camera wouldn't need to be capturing in a particularly high resolution, as it is mostly the colour intensity that it needs, more than likely using less battery power anyway. I dare say software tweaks will be able to fix it.
  • Reply 88 of 101
    Quote:

No, it doesn't have a proximity sensor, the WWDC keynote slide confirms this as there is no mention of a proximity sensor, and also no mention of one in the iFixIt teardown (which describes every other relevant component). There is also no hole, which would be visible in bright sunlight, on the front of the phone other than that for the camera.

The proximity sensor was only ever active when you were in a call and not using speakerphone. That would be the exact same use-case with the camera, surely?

Also, the camera wouldn't need to be capturing in a particularly high resolution, as it is mostly the colour intensity that it needs, more than likely using less battery power anyway. I dare say software tweaks will be able to fix it.

I have to disagree. Every report of the phone mentions the proximity sensor. They didn't have to mention it during the Keynote, because they mentioned it in 2007.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20009103-233.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20002...ty_sensor.html

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/29/i...nsor-troubles/

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/29/is-yo...sensor-issues/

I could post more. Do you think that you would be the only one who would "know" that the phone has no proximity sensor? You think these guys are that clueless? Using the camera for this is a non starter.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    Quote:

I have to disagree. Every report of the phone mentions the proximity sensor. They didn't have to mention it during the Keynote, because they mentioned it in 2007.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20009103-233.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20002...ty_sensor.html

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/29/i...nsor-troubles/

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/29/is-yo...sensor-issues/

I could post more. Do you think that you would be the only one who would "know" that the phone has no proximity sensor? You think these guys are that clueless? Using the camera for this is a non starter.

All those articles you link to are based on the flawed and factually incorrect assumption that there is an actual proximity sensor as with previous iPhone models.

In the keynote Apple mentioned every sensor that already existed on previous iPhone models, are you saying they just happened to forget to mention the proximity sensor? Highly unlikely really.

I challenge you to find anything in this teardown http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1 that resembles the proximity sensor (handy tip, there isn't one), or are you going to say that they left it out too because it was already in a previous iPhone.

I'm merely pointing out the fact that there is ZERO evidence to support the fact that the iPhone 4 has an ACTUAL proximity sensor. May be the use of the front-facing camera has some bearing on the "finger-swipping-across-the-camera" patent that Apple has, as that certainly would have to be able to detect the covering of the lens?

If you really don't believe me, which you evidently don't, how about you try for yourself and cover JUST THE LENS of the front facing camera when in a call, and that will prove it to you once and for all.

It would be so unlike journalists to either get the wrong end of the stick, or just regurgitate what they've read without proper fact checking....oh hang, not it wouldn't, especially given some of the stories from your above mentioned sources. At the end of the day though, in reality, they are probably just saying proximity sensor because that's the job which the front-facing camera is aiming to fulfill.
  • Reply 90 of 101
    Quote:

All those articles you link to are based on the flawed and factually incorrect assumption that there is an actual proximity sensor as with previous iPhone models.

In the keynote Apple mentioned every sensor that already existed on previous iPhone models, are you saying they just happened to forget to mention the proximity sensor? Highly unlikely really.

I challenge you to find anything in this teardown http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1 that resembles the proximity sensor (handy tip, there isn't one), or are you going to say that they left it out too because it was already in a previous iPhone.

I'm merely pointing out the fact that there is ZERO evidence to support the fact that the iPhone 4 has an ACTUAL proximity sensor. May be the use of the front-facing camera has some bearing on the "finger-swipping-across-the-camera" patent that Apple has, as that certainly would have to be able to detect the covering of the lens?

If you really don't believe me, which you evidently don't, how about you try for yourself and cover JUST THE LENS of the front facing camera when in a call, and that will prove it to you once and for all.

It would be so unlike journalists to either get the wrong end of the stick, or just regurgitate what they've read without proper fact checking....oh hang, not it wouldn't, especially given some of the stories from your above mentioned sources. At the end of the day though, in reality, they are probably just saying proximity sensor because that's the job which the front-facing camera is aiming to fulfill.

I don't see you providing any evidence. I don't have the phone yet, so I can't try your trick. But I don't remember Jobs mentioning the sensor last year, or the year before either. Doesn't mean there isn't one. The fact that ifixit didn't mention it means nothing either. They didn't say, "There's no proximity sensor anymore" either. They don't describe everything in the phone. If the sensor is near the camera, covering that with your finger could cause the same effect.

We need more evidence.

It just occurred to me; why don't you try to ask ifixit? They may respond. If they say so, you would have a first.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    Quote:

I don't see you providing any evidence. I don't have the phone yet, so I can't try your trick. But I don't remember Jobs mentioning the sensor last year, or the year before either. Doesn't mean there isn't one. The fact that ifixit didn't mention it means nothing either. They didn't say, "There's no proximity sensor anymore" either. They don't describe everything in the phone. If the sensor is near the camera, covering that with your finger could cause the same effect.

We need more evidence.

It just occurred to me; why don't you try to ask ifixit? They may respond. If they say so, you would have a first.

Time for a nice big slice of humble pie. After much searching I have managed to locate the Proximity sensor, it's just above the earpiece. A lot closer to the edge of the device, so could explain the problem. They just need to tweak the sensitivity.

I haven't had a problem since it's been in a case, probably because the lip of the case blocks out some extra light or something.

Jobs mentioned when the 3G was launched definitely, cos they put in three proximity sensors, instead of just one.

My apologies once again, I stand corrected.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    This workaround is working so well for me I just wanted to repost it with additions.

djkidkaz wrote:

I think I may have found a temporary solution to our problem while we wait for a real fix from Apple.

Once you start a call, hit the home button and pull something else up on the screen like a photo so that if the screen comes back on it doesn't have options like END CALL or FACE TIME on the screen to accidentally hit. The calculator may be another good choice as the only way to get it off the screen is to hit the home button.

Just wanted to add to this. >>As soon as you initiate a call you can double click the home button to bring up recent items and then just hit the photos or whatever you were using as a quick shortcut. It will take you right back to whatever the last photo you had up and you can go to your call.

You can also use the double click on the home button while you are on the call in the photo app to view recents and then toggle between the phone app and the photo app if you need to get back to the call screen.

We definitely shouldn't have to do this but for people that absolutely need their phone without headphones etc.. this was a great suggestion!

This is working for me so far at least as a work around.

thanks djkidkaz!
  • Reply 93 of 101
    Quote:

Time for a nice big slice of humble pie. After much searching I have managed to locate the Proximity sensor, it's just above the earpiece. A lot closer to the edge of the device, so could explain the problem. They just need to tweak the sensitivity.

I haven't had a problem since it's been in a case, probably because the lip of the case blocks out some extra light or something.

Jobs mentioned when the 3G was launched definitely, cos they put in three proximity sensors, instead of just one.

My apologies once again, I stand corrected.

That's ok, we all make mistakes.
  • Reply 94 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

After much searching I have managed to locate the Proximity sensor, it's just above the earpiece.

I guess I shouldn't have been so "jokey" in my comment about the location of the proximity sensor.
    I agree that the location could be less ideal than before and that it can be adequately remedied with SW.
  • Reply 95 of 101
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Chalk me up as another person with the proximity sensor issue. Was talking to my mom on the phone in Target when the conversation ended and suddenly started dialing my mother-in-law.

Luckily, I like my mother-in-law
  • Reply 96 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Chalk me up as another person with the proximity sensor issue. Was talking to my mom on the phone in Target when the conversation ended and suddenly started dialing my mother-in-law.

Luckily, I like my mother-in-law

Yes, the proximity sensor is more of a problem with my iPhone 4 than with my iPhone 3GS.

Funny things happen when it touches my face. False triggers sometimes. And, I agree that this will likely be fixed with a software update that will "filter out" these false triggers.

• Reply 97 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Chalk me up as another person with the proximity sensor issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Yes, the proximity sensor is more of a problem with my iPhone 4 than with my iPhone 3GS.

Restoring the OS and then setting up your system without using a backup did not fix the problem. I was doubtful as I can't imagine what in the backup files would interact with the proximity sensor, but I gave it a go anyway.
  • Reply 98 of 101
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    Thought I had the problem. Went to AT&T. They said that it was the old case I was using (from my 3g). So I took off the case and the problem totally disappeared. Makes no sense, but that's what happened. Now waiting for inCase to come out with new stuff.
  • Reply 99 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've had this happen a few times, too. Something that hasn't been an issue for since the original or 3G (I can't recall).

Had it happen to me three times last night on a half hour phone call. Never happened on my 3G, usually the screen would not turn on. While I'm not all up in arms about it, seems like something should be done to fix it.

On a side note my phone has what I'm calling life grip. When the phone shows around 2-3 bars, I short the little slit in the antennas and it goes to 5 bars. Lucky, I guess?
  • Reply 100 of 101
    ddelcoddelco Posts: 1member
    Does anyone who didn't migrate from a previous iphone have this issue? And is there anyone who has tried resetting the phone settings but didn't have it resolve the issue?