Bloomberg: Apple to offer Verizon CDMA iPhone in January 2011

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 77
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Hey AI, why don't you name your sources! What are you? The National Enquirer? you've gone downhill lately...
  • Reply 22 of 77
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    This is so beyond getting old.

    If they do get an iPhone great, otherwise I think it has already been said.



    \
  • Reply 23 of 77
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    There are too many things that are lining up for this not the be true.



    1. WSJ and Bloomberg are usually right on with their Apple Predictions.

    2. The early termination fee to 375 by AT&T

    3. The early upgrade for many customer on AT&t

    4. The manufacturing reports of an CDMA iPhone ramping up around November.





    These are just a few, this seems very likely to me now.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    dylerdyler Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post


    Lol, it was just confirmed at the last Verizon Sunday meeting that they were not interested in the iPhone anymore and had no current plans of bringing it to their network. They are all about Android phones now. The CDMA Verizon phones are intended for Japan as was officially confirmed months ago... where they have CDMA Networks. Let's also not forget Sprint has CDMA also... iPhone users may want an out from AT&T, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. http://goo.gl/YA99



    This topic is getting pretty old. Besides, Apple needs to fix the current iPhone before they try to spread it to other US carriers.



    Bullshit!!
  • Reply 25 of 77
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post


    Sad thing is there will be a chunk of people with money to burn on launch day in January for AT&T (recenetly raised) ETF's....Sigh...if only some people used their money more wisely.



    As opposed to the people who waited in line in the heat for hours only to have a phone marred by signal issues?
  • Reply 26 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post


    Lol, it was just confirmed at the last Verizon Sunday meeting that they were not interested in the iPhone anymore and had no current plans of bringing it to their network. They are all about Android phones now. The CDMA Verizon phones are intended for Japan as was officially confirmed months ago... where they have CDMA Networks. Let's also not forget Sprint has CDMA also... iPhone users may want an out from AT&T, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. http://goo.gl/YA99



    This topic is getting pretty old. Besides, Apple needs to fix the current iPhone before they try to spread it to other US carriers.



    China Mobile has 500 Million GSM subscribers.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTT_DoCoMo



    NTT DoCoMo: 50 million subscribers.



    Quote:

    ``DoCoMo was spun off from Nippon Telegraph and Telephone (NTT) in August 1991 to take over the mobile cellular operations. DoCoMo provides 2G (mova) PDC cellular services in 800 MHz and 1.5 GHz bands (total 34 MHz bandwidth), and 3G FOMA W-CDMA services in the 2 GHz (UMTS2100) and 800 MHz(UMTS800(Band VI)) and 1800 MHz(UMTS1800(Band IX)) bands. Its businesses also included PHS (Paldio), paging, and satellite. docomo ended PHS service on January 7, 2008.''



    iPhone 4: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)



    I don't see Apple needing to make a W-CDMA model.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyler View Post


    There are too many things that are lining up for this not the be true.



    1. WSJ and Bloomberg are usually right on with their Apple Predictions.

    2. The early termination fee to 375 by AT&T

    3. The early upgrade for many customer on AT&t

    4. The manufacturing reports of an CDMA iPhone ramping up around November.





    These are just a few, this seems very likely to me now.



    The Verizon termination fee makes it a wash.



    Apple is not making any CDMA models.



    Even NTT DoCoMo's Indian branch is moving to GSM.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post


    Hey AI, why don't you name your sources! What are you? The National Enquirer? You've gone downhill lately...



    Why get so upset because you can't/don't/won't even read the headline?

    Their "sources" are Bloomberg.

    -> Bloomberg - Verizon Wireless Said to Start Offering IPhone in January
  • Reply 29 of 77
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    The Verizon termination fee makes it a wash. ...



    I think his point was that AT&T's increased ETF, combined with offering early upgrades, points to a strategy to prevent churn in the eventuality of a Verizon iPhone appearing.



    That Verizon has a similar ETF is irrelevant to his argument.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    I think his point was that AT&T's increased ETF, combined with offering early upgrades, points to a strategy to prevent churn in the eventuality of a Verizon iPhone appearing.



    That Verizon has a similar ETF is irrelevant to his argument.



    Good for him, but the argument point is a wash. If I move from one to another, I'm bound to an equivalent early termination fee.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    zbeebszbeebs Posts: 3member
    Will this be before or after the Beatles come to iTunes?
  • Reply 32 of 77
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    No this time it really really, no really its true. Trust me. NOT.



    I don't know, how long can Apple go and not get on Verizon? To me it seems like it would be worthwhile for Apple to get on Verizon sooner than later. But I'm a lowly peon so.... And Steve tends to hold a grudge or at least be very stubborn.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    There was no "mass exodus" to AT&T - 77% of the iPhone 4 buyers were upgrading from a 3G or 3GS. Verizon is still growing - and has been for the last 3 years - without the iPhone.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post


    Looks like somebody at Verizon wanted to 1) delay the max exodus to AT&T and 2) temporarily boost the stock price today. Sad that it worked.



    Enough of these rumors from UNNAMED SOURCES.



  • Reply 34 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZBeebs View Post


    Will this be before or after the Beatles come to iTunes?



    During.



    It will be part of the sweetener for verizon customers. From what I've heard the tracks will only be available via the on phone iTunes for verizon users exclusively for 6 months.



    The Jan 2009 launch of verizon/beatles is also a strategic 1, 2 punch against android and google's 4th quarter music sales launch.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    China Mobile has 500 Million GSM subscribers.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTT_DoCoMo



    NTT DoCoMo: 50 million subscribers.



    iPhone 4: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)



    I don't see Apple needing to make a W-CDMA model.



    Druble's post makes absolutely no sense and i don't the entire day to tear his apart, but your comment has some fallacies in it.



    1) China Mobile is GSM for '2G' but their '3G' network is a home grown network based off of W-CDMA (what all 3G-capable iPhones use) and utilizes the same UMTS as the air interface as W-CDMA (what all 3G-capable iPhones use).



    2) The number of GSM '2G' users in China is around 700 million.



    3) Just to drive home this point. EVERY 3G-CAPABLE iPHONE USES W-CDMA. IT IS NOT CDMA. IT IS NOT CDMA2000.



    4) NTT docomo is the largest carrier in Japan and currently doesn't have the iPhone. SoftBank is the 3rd-largest carrier in Japan and it does have the iPhone. There is a 5th Operating Band for the iPhone 4 that is used primary in Japan on NTT docomo. The iPhone saturation rate for Japanese smartphones already seems high, and it looks like it would be a better fit for Apple than T-Mobile USA's wonky '3G' spectrum so I think we should expect an announcement within 6 months.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post


    Hey AI, why don't you name your sources!!! What are you? The National Enquirer? You've gone downhill lately...



    LOL...



    Bloomberg: Apple to offer Verizon CDMA iPhone in January 2011
  • Reply 37 of 77
    Since apple still has not shipped my iPhone 4 ('till July 15)

    I guess I can cancel.

    I can do 6 months standing on my head.
  • Reply 38 of 77
    shodsonshodson Posts: 8member
    If true it helps explain why Apple/AT&T let everybody get the subsidized phone for a contract renewal for anybody that who's contract was going to expire this year. Imagine your contract expires in December, and there are numerous credible reports that iPhone is coming to Verizon in 2011, do you think you would renew for 2 more years with AT&T then?



    Personally, I think iPhone would show up on T-Mobile before it does on Verizon just because of the GSM vs CDMA challenges.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    Good for him, but the argument point is a wash. If I move from one to another, I'm bound to an equivalent early termination fee.



    Right, so, according to his argument, AT&T's now higher ETF, agreed to when one gets the early upgrade, makes it less likely that you will move to Verizon if they get the iPhone. In other words, it's to prevent customer loss to Verizon by making it more expensive to bail.



    (And, once again, Verizon's ETF doesn't factor in because you don't pay it to move to them.)
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Finally a firm date we can all count on.
Sign In or Register to comment.