Bloomberg: Apple to offer Verizon CDMA iPhone in January 2011

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 77
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,147member
    If they keep sayin' it, it may eventually become true.



    It DOES jive with AT&T pulling up upgrade times a whole 6 months. Anyone who is due in 6 months may wait for such a phone. It would still be an iPhone.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iadroidx View Post


    If this rumor is true, then I'm not so sure Verizon customers will acctually fall for the whole...."Youre holding the phone wrong" excuse. Or better yet...... just buy a bumper.



    Verizon customers have teeth and have been known to bite back if treated unfairly. Especially when it comes to "state of the art technology".



    You must be joking! Verizon customers are used to get their blackberries with things like wifi and gps completely disabled by their carrier, and they seem to like the abuse because they also pay more for less in their monthly contracts.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    I am the first to be upset with AT&T at times. But has anyone thought about if Verizon's network really CAN handle the iphone. Part (not all) of the problem on AT&T is the amount of bandwidth used by iphone users. What will Verizon look like with so much more traffic, probably not as amazing as it does now....
  • Reply 64 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,722member
    Complete and utter bullsh!t. Bloomberg should know better than to link their good name to tripe like this.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    I guess this means we'll get to read about the shitty service from both AT&T and Verizon now.



    Oh joy.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post


    LMAO!!!! I will have to use that one!!



    Back on topic though, why would Apple try to adapt a phone for a technology that is on its way out. All of the major carriers in the United States are migrating to LTE. I see Apple using either a GSM/LTE chip for their next phone, or just straight up LTE (if it is backwards compatible with GSM). There is no way that they would actually use a completely different technology (and in my opinion inferior) just to court Verizon.



    It wouldn't be to court Verizon. It would be to counter Android before it can get a firm foothold unchallenged in 2/3s of the US cell phone market. Android's satisfaction and loyalty rates aren't much below the iPhones. It would be less expensive for Apple to go after those customers now with a CMDA phone, before they go Android, than to try and convert them off Android later.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n64kps View Post


    Okay everybody, Bloomberg is one source. Steve Jobs himself is another.



    ceoSteveJobs

    Yes, the iPhone is coming to Verizon. 2011.

    about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone



    I don't see how no one is all over this?



    Most likely because it is not Steve Jobs of Apple, Inc. in Cupertino.

    If you would bother to read the bio of [email protected]

    "Bio I don't care what you think of me. You care what I think of you. Of course this is a parody account"
  • Reply 68 of 77
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    As Mike Myers said, "Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!" Verizon can go suck it. They will disable all the features and make you pay for it and slap their ugly ass logo all over the phone.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n64kps View Post


    Yeah he does, and a lot of his tweets are actually quite funny. He pokes a lot a fun at a lot of people.







    Yeah, and that is such as sign of maturity... After checking this, I doubt this is the CEO of Apple's Twitter...
  • Reply 70 of 77
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wkeith1986 View Post


    I am the first to be upset with AT&T at times. But has anyone thought about if Verizon's network really CAN handle the iphone. Part (not all) of the problem on AT&T is the amount of bandwidth used by iphone users. What will Verizon look like with so much more traffic, probably not as amazing as it does now....



    The Android phones have been stressing the network for a while now so by the time Verizon does get the iPhone the network will be able to handle it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post


    You must be joking! Verizon customers are used to get their blackberries with things like wifi and gps completely disabled by their carrier, and they seem to like the abuse because they also pay more for less in their monthly contracts.



    Where have you been, that's not been the case for well over a year now. Used to be true but not anymore.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    It wouldn't be to court Verizon. It would be to counter Android before it can get a firm foothold unchallenged in 2/3s of the US cell phone market. Android's satisfaction and loyalty rates aren't much below the iPhones. It would be less expensive for Apple to go after those customers now with a CMDA phone, before they go Android, than to try and convert them off Android later.



    This I totally agree with. Apple must counter the Android phones now and this is coming from someone that has a Droid because I won't switch to AT&T just to get the iPhone.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Anand in their review of the iPhone brought up a point in favor of a CDMA iPhone, and really multiple US carriers for the iPhone in general. With iAd, the iPhone is now an advertising platform. More users increases the value of that service.



    I've thought for some time that a CDMA iPhone makes sense. And really its time for multiple iPhone carriers in the US. Every other handset maker does this, its time for Apple to do this as well.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Here's yet one more reason Apple should reconsider their exclusivity with AT&T:



    Quote:

    It is shockingly easy to gain access to an AT&T customer's voicemail using caller ID spoofing techniques. What's worse is that AT&T knows about it.



    http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/06...l-With-Android
  • Reply 73 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    as mike myers said, "yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!" verizon can go suck it. They will disable all the features and make you pay for it and slap their ugly ass logo all over the phone.



    qft!!!
  • Reply 74 of 77
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,675member
    Someone made the suggest to create a sub-forum for these rumors, better yet there should be a website like Apple is dead for how many time someone comes out and says VZ is getting the iphone and it fails to come to reality and what was the real product they actually got like the rumor a few month ago they were getting the iphone in June and it actually the Droid X.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    Complete and utter bullsh!t. Bloomberg should know better than to link their good name to tripe like this.



    I don't read a lot of Bloomberg articles, but do they really have a good name? I remember their premature obituary that Steve Jobs had died:



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ure_obituaries



    Steve Jobs: On 27 August 2008 Bloomberg accidentally published a 17-page obituary. In a subsequent public appearance Jobs joked about the accident by displaying on screen during a keynote an imprecise quotation of Mark Twain (who was also the recipient of a premature obituary) reading "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated".



    http://gawker.com/5042795/bloomberg-...-jobs-obituary

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4628491.ece



    Cheers,

    Phil
  • Reply 76 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post


    LMAO!!!! I will have to use that one!!



    Back on topic though, why would Apple try to adapt a phone for a technology that is on its way out. All of the major carriers in the United States are migrating to LTE. I see Apple using either a GSM/LTE chip for their next phone, or just straight up LTE (if it is backwards compatible with GSM). There is no way that they would actually use a completely different technology (and in my opinion inferior) just to court Verizon.



    I used to think that moving to CDMA was a waste of time for them as well. I don't think so anymore. Together, Verizon and Sprint have 140 million customers here in the States. Those customers have much more money to spend than do the customers in China, though they do like to spend on phones.



    When we look at surveys of customers from the other carriers, we see that many would buy the iPhone if it were available there. In fact, not only do many customers say they would buy the iPhone instead of an Android phone, but a fair number say they would give up their Android phone for the iPhone. It seems that there are a number of people who are only buying Android phones because they can't get an iPhone on their network, and for varying reasons, they can't, or won't move to AT&T. One reason I suppose, is the reputation AT&T has gotten over this, but others are company accounts etc.



    It's certainly possible that if Verizon and Sprint had the iPhone, Apple's sales would go up by at least 50%, and possibly more. Some estimates say that it would double here. It's possible.



    This is just one of many articles about that:



    http://blogs.forbes.com/velocity/201...partner=alerts



    As far as superiority goes, CDMA is superior in a number of ways. Two important ones are:



    Battery life. Ever notice over the years that CDMA phones have had better battery life than comparable GSM models? Well, that's because the CDMA radios are more efficient, and drain the batteries less.



    Talk quality. CDMA has higher quality sound. GSM has a tinny sound, slightly echoey. It's a factor of how they compress and transmit voice.



    The one area in which GSM beats CDMA is in the voice/data usage. Both can be used at once, as we know from Apple's commercials. It does work. CDMA has not had that ability until this year, but so far, it seems as though carriers have not implemented the new standard.



    I would imagine that it's one thing holding Apple back. AT&T customers moving to a CDMA network would not be happy losing that feature, even though they would gain the advantages of the first two, supposing Apple would want to give those carriers the advantages.
  • Reply 77 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,722member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    The one area in which GSM beats CDMA is in the voice/data usage. Both can be used at once, as we know from Apple's commercials. It does work. CDMA has not had that ability until this year, but so far, it seems as though carriers have not implemented the new standard.



    The Rev. B spec has been available before just this year, Verizon has just been unwilling to implement it. Now, if they could figure out how to charge you an extra $5.99 for the privilege...
Sign In or Register to comment.