AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

Comments

• Reply 61 of 213
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytorx1 View Post

Just shut up, use it and move on.

How about you shut up and move on Apple plant. Really you create an account and your first post is this? Pathetic. How about you get a few quality posts, that way someone here may actually care what you have to say.
  • Reply 62 of 213
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slocummedia View Post

I'm a long time Apple fan (since the mid 80s) but they've got a big problem with their big launch of iPhone 4.

I am one of the countless early adopter lemmings who has a phone affected by the antenna issue.

At the Genius Bar today, even the Genius's phone was exhibiting the problem. ALL of the demo models also had the issue!!

Please stay on top of Apple on this. They are acting like it is a "non-issue."

They may have sold almost two million of these... but many are defective. I know Apple will do the right thing, but we need people like you to hold their feet to the fire.

Sincerely. Dan Slocum

As someone that has been in this situation before, I can tell you that Apple responds like this at first. As more people come forward and show proof of a problem, the issue gets escalated. The phone just came out on the 24th, so there needs to be enough time for Apple to look into the issues and respond to them. Is there an issue international? Well from the small sampling of people here, I have seen two no's and one yes. Is it localized to certain states or nationwide in the US? Are the phones affected coming from the same manufacturing plant or are they coming from multiple plants? Was there a change in the way the phones are made in those plants? And so forth.

All of this will take some time to weed thru. In the end, it will be resolved. There is no doubt that damage has been done to Apple. Perhaps more than Brian Lam is accused of. All we can do is wait and see what transpires. You can spew your vitriol here and clamor on about how Apple sucks and you will never buy another Apple product, but you will probably buy another iPhone, just not one at launch.
  • Reply 63 of 213
    theogttheogt Posts: 16member
    Try connecting the two antennas from an inch apart. You can't replicate the dropped signals.

All they had to do was make the two antennas at least an inch apart, rather than just putting a slim piece of plastic between them. I can't believe they didn't think of this when they were designing. All you have to do is put a dummy piece of metal between the two antennas and have another plastic divider on the very bottom of the phone. Problem solved.

That said, even though my phone exhibits the problem, it doesn't cause issues with reception or data transfer, so it's a non-issue for me.
  • Reply 64 of 213
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    Apparently this is a massive issue amongst droid/apple dorks and the blog sphere. And rightly so.

But in reality, this is in fact a non-issue for most people. It's like when the new Macbooks were announced and everyone was furious about the reflective glass screens... I read up about it here, tried to do my research... cautious, though ended up buying one anyway and to this day I've never had a problem with the screen.

In the end, places like this is all just a bunch of over hyped white noise.
  • Reply 65 of 213
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    This will go on forever, I've seen no issues over my 3GS, I bought the bumper, for protection , not reception.

This has to be the most exaggerated problem I've ever seen. If you just use the phone as you always do, most of the time you probably won't notice a thing.
  • Reply 66 of 213
    Yes my iPhone 4 dropped 7 out of 8 calls today. Never had that with my 3GS. I'm contesting my credit card charge until I have a working "phone" as advertised. This is bull Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phippster View Post

Yes my iPhone 4 dropped 7 out of 8 calls today. Never had that with my 3GS. I'm contesting my credit card charge until I have a working "phone" as advertised. This is bull Apple.

Is it just today or does it happen all the time? If you are here in the US and on AT&T, it can happen. It happens with iPhones, Blackberries and regular cellphones. You have to be more specific to be taken seriously. If you were at different places when it happened and kept track of the times that it happened, you could open a trouble ticket with AT&T and they will have an engineer track your phone with your permission. That way they can determine whether it's the phone or the network. Until Apple goes with more carriers we can't be sure who's at fault.
  • Reply 68 of 213
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I didn't get more than few posts into this thread before it was littered with asshat comments. I'm sure there were objective and reasonable people correcting the jackassery but I am sure it will fall on deaf ears.

I've had my phone a few hours short of a week now and have experienced zero reception problems from "short circuiting" the antennas. So much for Apple not knowing how to make a proper phone. \
  • Reply 69 of 213
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Is it just today or does it happen all the time? If you are here in the US and on AT&T, it can happen. It happens with iPhones, Blackberries and regular cellphones. You have to be more specific to be taken seriously. If you were at different places when it happened and kept track of the times that it happened, you could open a trouble ticket with AT&T and they will have an engineer track your phone with your permission. That way they can determine whether it's the phone or the network. Until Apple goes with more carriers we can't be sure who's at fault.

As my beloved Aunt used to say, in jest: "I'd rather be mad."

Bless you for trying to be helpful, but some folks only want a chance to vent. Trying to offer constructive assistance just seems to make them madder.
  • Reply 70 of 213
    rb01rb01 Posts: 1member
    You all have it backwards, Apple designed the phone with the reception issue specifically to sell bumpers. Why would they give them for free now?
  • Reply 71 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn't get more than few posts into this thread before it was littered with asshat comments. I'm sure there were objective and reasonable people correcting the jackassery but I am sure it will fall on deaf ears.

I've had my phone a few hours short of a week now and have experienced zero reception problems from "short circuiting" the antennas. So much for Apple not knowing how to make a proper phone. \

Do you hold it like this?

• Reply 72 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

As my beloved Aunt used to say, in jest: "I'd rather be mad."

Bless you for trying to be helpful, but some folks only want a chance to vent. Trying to offer constructive assistance just seems to make them madder.

I know, but I don't have a sharp stick to poke them with.
  • Reply 73 of 213
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I'm curious if this issue also occurs if you bridge the other seam between the antenae at the top of the phone.

I am holding off until the end of next month to see how the dust settles on this issue.

I will be disappointed if apple use their market dominance to pass off substandard products. People might say just buy a different phone but once you're enjoying the integrated connectivity of the iTunes ecosystem there really are no other phones worthy of considering.

Just halt production for a week and laminate the steel band on international models with a thin coating of clear plastic and be done with the issue.
  • Reply 74 of 213
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

solipsism I usually agree with your posts but just because you are not experiencing problems doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people aren't. It's actually rude to knock those that are having problems and I didn't expect it from you.
  • Reply 75 of 213
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Has anyone actually tried this?

I have tried to hold the phone when on a call in the incorrect way, i.e. covering the black strip with the palm of your hand. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! You can't cover the left black strip in your left hand without seriously blocking the phone from reaching your face. It is just not a natural position to hold the phone while on a call. You actually hold the phone with your fingers not your palm.

Just so you are clear; it is not an issue of "covering the black strip". It is an issue of "bridging" (connecting) the two separate antennae together (one hand touching both antennae the same time)
  • Reply 76 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

solipsism I usually agree with your posts but just because you are not experiencing problems doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people aren't. It's actually rude to knock those that are having problems and I didn't expect it from you.

I'm not sure he was knocking people that have problems. I thought he was referring to the rude comments people are making about Apple and Steve Jobs personally.
  • Reply 77 of 213
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How is that evidence of a hardware problem? Apple told Mossberg that that particular problem could be fixed in software.

Just because Apple says so doesn't make it so. I suggest you read this article.

http://fscked.co.uk/post/751030001/m...4-signal-issue

There is something severely wrong when you can affect the signal of antenna with a cut up 1 in. paperclip. It's clear from that video that all you have to do is is essentially connect the two antennas to lose reception, much less have a "death grip" to block the signal.

Apple just may be able to fix it in software but it seems unlikely. When you watch that video it seems like a hardware issue.
  • Reply 79 of 213
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:

I copied this comment from MacRumors-

"I had to sign up for this forum to post my reply. I am an apple fan. We have 3 computers, 2 iphone 4's ipads, etc.

I bought my iphone 4 on launch day. I also purchased the bumper. I don't know about other people, but I am seeing this issue even with the bumper on. Maybe it doesn't drop off as quick, or as bad with the bumper. Even with the bumper, I've seen it drop from 5 bars to no bars. It never drops to no service, but the data performance goes from 2Mbps downstream to almost nothing.

I am seriously considering returning this phone. I've already sold my 3G. If I return this phone, I will be purchasing a phone from one of Apple's competitors. This upsets me because I have spent a lot of money on iphone apps. I however can not deal with a phone that does not work properly."

:comment by woodchuck- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...955564&page=20

I've seen a lot of other posters say the same thing.

Obviously, that poster is an HTC troll.
  • Reply 80 of 213
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Hundreds of thousands?