AppleCare memo emphasizes no free bumpers for iPhone 4 reception

Comments

• Reply 121 of 213
    Wow, I can't believe the level of denials, and the arrogant way customers are being treated by Apple. I put a case around my iPhone IV, and it helps. However, the phone still looses the signal in 2-3 minutes rather than 20-30 seconds.

I really think this is, potentially, a securities law issue because this appears to be a very material problem that Apple seems to be covering up. Also, some of the conflicting statements really concern me. By not openly and honestly addressing the signal issue, you have to really start doubting the integrity of the executive officers and board.

If the phones are all defective & need to be recalled, Apple should just do it.

If there is a software / service configuration fix, then Apple should say that.

Why can't they just tell all of us the truth about what is going on?

IMO, to blame users or deny the problem, is VERY dishonest and people should be held accountable for that conduct. While this isn't a BP level issue, it's not OK for companies to act like this.

• Reply 122 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytorx1 View Post

Also, note that even when you do hold it and say the "signal bars" drop, this does NOT MEAN you will drop the call, seriously is everyone just effing stupid?

I work for a cell carrier (no not AT&T) but I have to side with Apple on this and even AT&T.

You definitely are not fully aware of this problem. I can drop any call in 30 seconds or less every time, just by holding my iPhone the way I want to hold it - that is comfortable for me. Done it over and over - absolutely no problem! My iPhone 3G and 3GS performed far superior in this regard.
  • Reply 123 of 213
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

Steve Jobs on the cusp of his next, great, big prophetic announcement, takes a sip of bottled water (that fish pee'd in), wipes his brow and steps up to the podium, clearing the phlegmn out of the back of his throat in a cool, slick manner before he begins to speak.

"People, friends, fellow acolytes, today, here, I have something I would like you to see."

Steve pauses for a moment, looking far out into the crowds, watching their eyes grow wider than saucers and speckles of saliva form on their lips. Steve smiles calmly.

"You're going to like this, it will change everything. You will never look at things the same again."

The mouths in the audience begin to open, their breathing increases and their pulses began to accelerate, evidenced by the pulsating arteries in their necks. Steve's smile slowly fades to a more serious grin.

"Today, I present to you, the i-Grip. It is a revolutionary way to... hold a phone."

The crowd gasps! Their minds race in a furor, analyzing every single word that just pursed steves lips into their auditory canals. They scrambled to make sense of every vowel, syllable and consonant.

"You see, we've all been doing it wrong. We've been enslaved for far too long." Steve's grin faded to a serious expression. He held out an i-Phone for everyone to see. The people in the crowd leaned forward, their eyes nearly popping out of their sockets, the rhythmic pulsing in their necks now beginning to thunder with voracious unison.

Steve paused again, holding the phone out with his black-sleeved arm, looking smugly outward as his turtleneck comforted his flock. With a wiggle of his pinky finger he then began to shuffle his hand. Within seconds his grip had changed, his grasp was firm, yet delecately embraced the phone, cradling it with his clenched love.

"The i-Grip, try it, you're going to love it." He smiled widely, teeth glinting through his lips as the sides of his mouth cracked open devilishly.

The crowd erupted in euphoria! Jobs had spoken. It had been said, and thus it had been done! So shall it be written that the i-Grip is their salvation from bondage!

Nice satirical screen play, however nobody here cares. There are many more arrogant complaints, class action suits, whining and insults that are far more relevant to the current state of affairs than your sarcastic brand of humor. Let this be a warning, you are in serious jeopardy of being labeled a heretic with your sacrilegious comments.
  • Reply 124 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

I have an iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs and an iPhone 4. My testing agrees with Apples statement 100%. The iPhone 4 has better reception than the previous models and all 3 of them, and most if not all other phones can have changes in reception depending on how they are held.

You can drop your bs war on the reception issue. It will not sink Apple or kill the iPhone. Get over it and move on.

My experience is exactly the opposite. My iPhone 4 is much worse at cellular and data transmissions, than either my 3G or 3GS. My iPhone 4 cannot download data or even access the App Store until I lay the phone down. It will not download data while resting in my hand. The same goes for calls. I can drop every call in 30 seconds or less - every time. No problem.
  • Reply 125 of 213
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Read Mossberg's review. He saw exactly that and was told that there would be a software fix.

And there are others (me, for example) who can completely eliminate the problem with a single thickness of electrical tape over the joint.

Anecdotal evidence is worthless. How about if we wait for someone to actually do some research to understand what's going on?

"Yet, in some places where the signal was relatively weak, the iPhone 4 showed no bars, or fewer bars than its predecessor. Apple says that this is a bug it plans to fix, and that it has to do with the way the bars are presented, not the actual ability to make a call. And, in fact, in nearly all of these cases, the iPhone 4 was able to place calls despite the lack of bars.

However, on at least six occasions during my tests, the new iPhone was either reporting ?no service? or searching for a network while the old one, held in my other hand, was showing at least a couple of bars. Neither Apple nor AT&T could explain this. The iPhone 4 quickly recovered in these situations, showing service after a few seconds, but it was still troubling."

You seem to have omitted the second issue, where it was "reporting no service or searching for a network" and Apple/AT&T were NOT able to explain it. The first issue seems like a misrepresentation of bars available, and THAT is what AT&T/Apple have a software fix for.

Also, using electrical tape on your phone seems a bit... ridiculous. But I assume this is acceptable since it's by Apple, not the competition.
  • Reply 126 of 213
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

But if there was a problem with even a small batch of iPhones, wouldn't Apple want to "exchange" a bunch of them so they can do an autopsy on the problematic phones and figure out what the real problem is?

Has Apple exchanged anyone's iPhone 4 due to this antenna problem?

Why wouldn't APPLE take anybodys phone back?? You have 30 days to try it out. So if you feel you have a bad one bring it back and buy a new one.

When your dealing with an Antenna, the slightest movement can even cause you to loose signal or bars. While some people have legitamate complaints it would seem that the majority DOES NOT.
  • Reply 127 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The chip drivers seems unlikely, unless it's different batches of chips and the drivers are embedded on the chip (which would make it a HW/manufacturing issue, really), and some of them are messed up, or, unless they are part of the firmware and some iPhones had bad firmware loaded on them, which is possible. I suppose bridging the seam could cause some confusion that the bad firmware/chip drivers couldn't handle.

It's kind of hard to imagine what sort of manufacturing issue could cause it either, though. Maybe an internal connection that isn't solid, but it seems a little too specific for that. Maybe the composition of the antennae on some phones, causing them to not behave as expected (although, that could maybe be compensated for in software).

The only thing that it doesn't seem to look like is that it's a design flaw, otherwise it should be affecting all phones in the same area, and handled by the same person, the same.

Your guesses are quite possible...

Quote:

But if there was a problem with even a small batch of iPhones, wouldn't Apple want to "exchange" a bunch of them so they can do an autopsy on the problematic phones and figure out what the real problem is?

I haven't heard... But that would look bad for them, almost guilty, justifying Apple's Enemies who are looking for any excuses to badmouth Apple.

The inconsistencies hint at the fact that there could have been a manufacturing flaw, maybe! In that case they'll need to trace it back to a specific batch!

There can be a chance that it's an ATT issue too... Actually, I just remembered this:

I still have Palm Treo 700p on Verizon! There have been time, in my home, when I am not even holding it, and the phone is just laying on my desk, I'd see signal, number of bars change, and sometimes even No Service! Again, the phone is stationary, not moving, no driving, nice weather, I am urban area, usually Full Strength Signal! Verizon, The Prince Charming In Waiting, ready to rescue people from their ATT iPhone Captivity!!! Boy, I am so SICK of VZ vs. ATT Great Debate!!!!

Cellular Service is not an exact science, and it won't be perfect with LTE either -- it's all WORK IN PROGRESS! And so are ALL PHONES, not just Smart Phones! The face that iPhones and Droids etc are even doing what they do is MAGIC, MIRACLE!!!! So, in the worst case, if a case helps iPhone in this case, given that most people use cases anyway, and are often on the go, driving or whatever where the Cell Service is expected not to be always FLAWLESS, regardless of how many $$ are spent on cute commercials -- is a bumper or a case such HUGE price to pay?!

Again, I'll say this -- Apple is not sitting on their hands, ignoring this! When they get to the bottom of this, they'll do the right thing! But, even then, the Enemies of Apple will go to another topic, trying to badmouth it, cause that's what they do!!! This is no Fan Boy Talk...

There are lots of people in the world who are threatened by Apple, cause they can't compete with it... They will play as dirty as they have to...

This is issue will be solved! I can't wait to get my iPhone! It's just that I am also moving my data from Powerbook G4 10.4.11 to OS 10.6.4 on Macbook Pro that I am about to get... Until that transition is complete, I don't want to sync iPhone to PB G4 10.4.11... I need to sit down with folks at Apple Store and address that Transition! But, they are SWAMPED with iPhone 4 Mania! The stores near me are SOLD OUT!!!

Most people by iPhones and CASES! I'll need more than 1 case probably, one for jogging, another for not...

Funny(?) Analogy -- Victoria Secret Stores sell great underwear, lingerie... Women love that store... They use that stuff as a form of self-expression! They know what's underneath, when that stuff comes off! So do their bed partners!

iPhone 4 looks great NAKED!!! Then consumers are given FREEDOM to express themselves with THEIR CHOICE of cases, bumpers, for sports, or other activities! People match colors to go with what they are wearing - it's endless! I remember talking to a 20-21 years old female! She was really excited when she found out that iPod was available in Pink, case or not... To her it was a big deal, cause she adores pink! No joke! It was funny to see her talk about that!!!

I am yet to hear anyone say that iPhone 4 or previous models look UNGLY NAKED!

So, in iPhone 4 Case, Apple pushed the antenna to the Limit to get the best signal, cause they know that most users are protective of their iPhones, and don't carry them NAKED!!! They buy their choices of cases, and then more cases! So, might as well MAX OUT the antenna!!!

Of course some people found this MYSTERIOUS IMPERFECTION, or FACT OF LIFE that became more OBVIOUS with iPhone 4, and among those people there are CLEAR Apple UN-ENTHUSIASTS who are now running around, badmouthing Apple! It's their Christmas Now... But that "Apple Bashing Orgy" will end soon, with some fix from Apple, plus the cases and hands-free use, as it will be in my case! Either way - the future OS Updates, New Software will add more to this already Stellar Product, and the Apple Bashers will be mostly ignored, as they look for different problems!!! If they are so smart - please design your own Smart Phones, and or your own Apps!!! Then the world will vote on your products with their $$, which is exactly what's happening with iPhone 4 and iPads, that can't be made fast enough....

Lucky are those who have enough CASH to by APPLE STOCK during Sell Off Days!

I am counting days for my iPhone and New Macbook Pro... I am not waiting for Verizon in January according to the latest rumor! I will not settle for No Simultaneous Voice and Data, and Lack of Carry Over Minutes! Verizon is no less greedy than ATT, they will charge on Metered Basis!!! In a year or 2, I'll Upgrade to iPhone 5, and iPhone 4 will be my backup! By than, whomever my Carrier will be, they'll have less restrictions on early upgrades, I hope!

Everyone, please enjoy this great Summer of 2010!!!! Life is to short on all this Apple Envy, and Bitching!
  • Reply 128 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

My experience is exactly the opposite. My iPhone 4 is much worse at cellular and data transmissions, than either my 3G or 3GS. My iPhone 4 cannot download data or even access the App Store until I lay the phone down. It will not download data while resting in my hand. The same goes for calls. I can drop every call in 30 seconds or less - every time. No problem.

Yep, I'm in the same boat...just resting the phone in my hand, I will loose my data connection in under a minute. If I place the phone on a flat surface, it comes right back. Holding the phone and while on a call, I'll drop that call in under a minute...

I think the heart of the matter is the old phrase..The silence is deafening...

Apple needs to step up and address this issue that some (not all, or even a majority) but a significant number are having with this phone.

- If they believe the phone doesn't have a reception issue, that need to make a public statement saying so.

- If they believe "a small number" of iPhone 4 users are experiencing reception issues and we are investigating the issue, they need to say so.

From what I can tell, there has been a public statement about "You need to hold the phone the correct way" and supposedly from SJ himself, "No reception issue, stay tuned". O'h and everyone else is holding out hope for an update because a friend of a friend, who has a grandmother who happened to be online, saw a post in the Apple support forum about a firmware update that is coming that will fix the issue. But magically, that posting has vanished...while the thread "the real reason for bad reception" has over 67 pages, a lot of them bashing Apple for the reception issues...lingers on...

This leads me to another point about people posting about, "My phone is working great, this isn't an issue"...Maybe for you, that is freaking great! I wish I could say the same but right now, I can't. And that is the issue...I really want to like this phone, honestly I think it's awesome but for me and whatever XX% of people it affects, I'm getting the i but not the Phone part, in iPhone right now! I don't want an Android phone or anything else...I want the iPhone I like to just work...

For the people who say, "Buy a case, that solves the issue...", again freaking great and I'm buying a case, not because I need one but because I'm willing to try anything to make this phone work! It shouldn't need a case but what the hell, if that is what it takes, I'm game...

For the people who say, "return it then if you don't like it"...Your missing the point...I and others who are having issues don't want to just return it, because everything else about the phone is pretty damn cool. We just want (for those affected) the most basic function this phone was designed to do, to just work...

Ok, I need a drink! lol
  • Reply 129 of 213
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    it's a brilliant piece of technology... shrug. no problems here.. it even actually handles calls and data better here in Sf.. and that is huge for me. The 3GS was worse here for sure.

there is straight up hysteria going on right now... it could almost be a case study... how humans will take a visual cue over reality. remember when the 1G iPhone's battery meter would only charge to 99%? Even tho it was totally charged it caused a shit storm.

lol

it is utterly silly people get so swayed by bloggers they lose their minds.
  • Reply 130 of 213
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
  • Reply 131 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You waited three years just to post that? Come on, who are you really?

That being said, I wonder why Daniel Eran Dilger didn't write this piece

I just got my iPhone last week..

probably had nothing to say when I registered
  • Reply 132 of 213
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

There's one way to stick it to Apple for not addressing or fixing this problem: RETURN IT FOR A REFUND! Most of you still have at least 25 days to do so. Nothing would speak louder than massive returns if this problem really does affect all iPhone 4's.

that last line is the catch, it doesn't affect all phones. in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 1% of the phones sold. same for the other "major" problems.
  • Reply 133 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amazingdm View Post

Oh for the love of god. There is nothing wrong here. People just want something to bitch about for ANY new item.

took you 3 yrs to finally wake up from the dead and post your 1st comment? wow....
  • Reply 134 of 213
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

If you don't want to wait for the fix, then return the phone and demand your money back and cite the law over defective equipment. If they refuse to take it back,

take the box with all the bits, the phone and your receipt back to the store and they will return it. especially at apple. if you want to avoid having to do the whole genius bar thing so they can document the issues just tell them you changed your mind. but be sure you put your number on the new phone first or it will get lost in the ATT system and could be given to someone else

no reason to be a jackass over it. just make sure it's within the 30 days cause ATT will charge you the ETF if you are even one day over.
  • Reply 135 of 213
    Apple will give away free bumpers.

Remember when they had that big SNAFU with MobileMe and ended up giving customers something like 90 days of free service? Same thing. The exposed antenna is just a bad idea. Looks great, but having it in direct contact with customer skin is just a mistake.

In all of the iPhones <4, the bumper was the cover. Notice the original had this gorgeous metal back, but they had to switch to plastic to allow 3G.
  • Reply 136 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Your guesses are quite possible...

I haven't heard... But that would look bad for them, almost guilty, justifying Apple's Enemies who are looking for any excuses to badmouth Apple.

The inconsistencies hint at the fact that there could have been a manufacturing flaw, maybe! In that case they'll need to trace it back to a specific batch!

There can be a chance that it's an ATT issue too... Actually, I just remembered this:

I still have Palm Treo 700p on Verizon! There have been time, in my home, when I am not even holding it, and the phone is just laying on my desk, I'd see signal, number of bars change, and sometimes even No Service! Again, the phone is stationary, not moving, no driving, nice weather, I am urban area, usually Full Strength Signal! Verizon, The Prince Charming In Waiting, ready to rescue people from their ATT iPhone Captivity!!! Boy, I am so SICK of VZ vs. ATT Great Debate!!!!

Cellular Service is not an exact science, and it won't be perfect with LTE either -- it's all WORK IN PROGRESS! And so are ALL PHONES, not just Smart Phones! The face that iPhones and Droids etc are even doing what they do is MAGIC, MIRACLE!!!! So, in the worst case, if a case helps iPhone in this case, given that most people use cases anyway, and are often on the go, driving or whatever where the Cell Service is expected not to be always FLAWLESS, regardless of how many $$ are spent on cute commercials -- is a bumper or a case such HUGE price to pay?!

Again, I'll say this -- Apple is not sitting on their hands, ignoring this! When they get to the bottom of this, they'll do the right thing! But, even then, the Enemies of Apple will go to another topic, trying to badmouth it, cause that's what they do!!! This is no Fan Boy Talk...

There are lots of people in the world who are threatened by Apple, cause they can't compete with it... They will play as dirty as they have to...

This is issue will be solved! I can't wait to get my iPhone! It's just that I am also moving my data from Powerbook G4 10.4.11 to OS 10.6.4 on Macbook Pro that I am about to get... Until that transition is complete, I don't want to sync iPhone to PB G4 10.4.11... I need to sit down with folks at Apple Store and address that Transition! But, they are SWAMPED with iPhone 4 Mania! The stores near me are SOLD OUT!!!

Most people by iPhones and CASES! I'll need more than 1 case probably, one for jogging, another for not...

Funny(?) Analogy -- Victoria Secret Stores sell great underwear, lingerie... Women love that store... They use that stuff as a form of self-expression! They know what's underneath, when that stuff comes off! So do their bed partners!

iPhone 4 looks great NAKED!!! Then consumers are given FREEDOM to express themselves with THEIR CHOICE of cases, bumpers, for sports, or other activities! People match colors to go with what they are wearing - it's endless! I remember talking to a 20-21 years old female! She was really excited when she found out that iPod was available in Pink, case or not... To her it was a big deal, cause she adores pink! No joke! It was funny to see her talk about that!!!

I am yet to hear anyone say that iPhone 4 or previous models look UNGLY NAKED!

So, in iPhone 4 Case, Apple pushed the antenna to the Limit to get the best signal, cause they know that most users are protective of their iPhones, and don't carry them NAKED!!! They buy their choices of cases, and then more cases! So, might as well MAX OUT the antenna!!!

Of course some people found this MYSTERIOUS IMPERFECTION, or FACT OF LIFE that became more OBVIOUS with iPhone 4, and among those people there are CLEAR Apple UN-ENTHUSIASTS who are now running around, badmouthing Apple! It's their Christmas Now... But that "Apple Bashing Orgy" will end soon, with some fix from Apple, plus the cases and hands-free use, as it will be in my case! Either way - the future OS Updates, New Software will add more to this already Stellar Product, and the Apple Bashers will be mostly ignored, as they look for different problems!!! If they are so smart - please design your own Smart Phones, and or your own Apps!!! Then the world will vote on your products with their $$, which is exactly what's happening with iPhone 4 and iPads, that can't be made fast enough....

Lucky are those who have enough CASH to by APPLE STOCK during Sell Off Days!

I am counting days for my iPhone and New Macbook Pro... I am not waiting for Verizon in January according to the latest rumor! I will not settle for No Simultaneous Voice and Data, and Lack of Carry Over Minutes! Verizon is no less greedy than ATT, they will charge on Metered Basis!!! In a year or 2, I'll Upgrade to iPhone 5, and iPhone 4 will be my backup! By than, whomever my Carrier will be, they'll have less restrictions on early upgrades, I hope!

Everyone, please enjoy this great Summer of 2010!!!! Life is to short on all this Apple Envy, and Bitching!

You're peeing on their hate parade!! It is an outrage!! Sorry, I tried posting the rational thing too. Fell on deaf ears. Macologist meet brick wall!

If you listen very carefully you can hear their capillaries rupture in anger. Like this:

• Reply 137 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

take the box with all the bits, the phone and your receipt back to the store and they will return it. especially at apple. if you want to avoid having to do the whole genius bar thing so they can document the issues just tell them you changed your mind. but be sure you put your number on the new phone first or it will get lost in the ATT system and could be given to someone else

no reason to be a jackass over it. just make sure it's within the 30 days cause ATT will charge you the ETF if you are even one day over.

If you tell them you changed your mind they may charge you a restocking fee. They can't charge you one if it's defective. People have moved beyond being a jackass around lunchtime today.
  • Reply 138 of 213
    I almost held off on purchasing my iphone4... Due to the reception issue. Glad I didn't! It's effin' awesome. Can't make loss of reception even when I lick my finger and touch the area of alleged loss of reception. In fact I even twice have had a bar INCREASE! go figure.

I figured this was just frantic bandwagoning since I live in San Francisco and ever since my first iPhone years ago (1 of each model) I have NEVER had a dropped call or reception issues-not ever! I am sure some have but I am certain some do with all service providers and handsets.

David

PS I am just passing on my experience. Not looking for a fight and am not discounting that some may have issues. Though I believe there may be some underlying reason regarding that experience yet to be determined.
  • Reply 139 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Apple will give away free bumpers.

Remember when they had that big SNAFU with MobileMe and ended up giving customers something like 90 days of free service? Same thing. The exposed antenna is just a bad idea. Looks great, but having it in direct contact with customer skin is just a mistake.

In all of the iPhones <4, the bumper was the cover. Notice the original had this gorgeous metal back, but they had to switch to plastic to allow 3G.

The original one (which i'm still using) does have a plastic back, but it's only about an inch from the bottom, the rest is metal. The funny thing is that my phone has less issues getting phone calls than my girlfriend's 3Gs. If she puts the phone on EDGE, than it doesn't have as many calls that don't go thru. Mine has slowed considerably after upgrading it to 3.13, but I got more life out of this phone than any other GSM phone I ever had. I have been thru 3 of these, but that's nothing compared to the 5 Nokia 3360s.
  • Reply 140 of 213
    Quote:

The Genius at the Apple Store would not exchange my iPhone 4 today. And this was after I demonstrated a dropped call, halted data retrieval, and taking the cellular signal down to one bar just by laying the iPhone flat in the palm of my hand so that I only touched the glass back and not the metal.

So I then asked him if all iPhones have this issue and his reply was yes, it is a known problem and Apple is working on a software update that should be released soon to address the problem. He said that should just wait and see what happens. If the software update doesn't help, I guess it'll just get returned.