Wireless experts weigh in on iPhone 4 reception issues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 380
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Let's also not forget that a car is a potentially deadly device. A car that accelerates when you don't want it to gets people killed. Not exactly on the same level with a minor inconvenience.

Let's also remember that phones can save people's lives. God forbid you're injured in an accident and you can't get a reception because you're holding it the wrong way.

A working phone is one of the most important survival tools in today's world.
  • Reply 62 of 380
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Considering I live in the Tri-State area I am well aware of the fact that NJ has always had great AT&T reception. If you had another iPhone previously you know that to already be the case.

Hey, I was just replying to Onhka's survey. What's with the attitude?
  • Reply 63 of 380
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    I just realized that my wife and I have been making a real effort to not hold our iPhone 3G's to our ears, using the speakerphone function instead. This was motivated by uncertainties regarding exposure to radiation. I mean, if the FCC mandated that all antennas be located at the bottom of the phone for this reason, why not move them even farther by holding the phone away from your face entirely? That being the case, my grip naturally would not cause the antenna problems being discussed. Not a solution, but worth noting.

iPhone 4 on order.
  • Reply 64 of 380
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Yep, like thousand posts where the bars were dropped like a stone from 5 to nothing just by merely touching the gap with a finger

Not by "merely touching with a finger". That's obvious bull.

Showing "iPhone flaw" people always gripped phones in very special way, very tightly, creating contact areas (or capacitor plates) of considerable size. And reception drop is easily visible rather in low signal zones.
  • Reply 65 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

http://www.sourcingmap.com/iphone4-c...sort=4d&page=1

$2 for a case, $3.50 for a case and screen protector.

if Apple thinks i'm spending 29 bucks on an 18-cent piece of silicone they're out of their minds.

[no i don't work for this company, it's just very cheap and the same design as every other iP4 case]

You get what you pay for.

I find it funny that before the antenna problem you'd be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who *didn't* use a case, now that the easiest answer to the antenna issue is buying a case, no one wants to?

Also, almost every case I've ever seen is roughly 30 bucks. Sure, you can get cheaper ones, but 30 bucks is not "out of line," "over the top" or any one of those superlatives being dropped about them today.

Apple's bumper is probably one of the best designed cases out there, it's far from "an 18 cent piece off silicone" and probably cost a lot more to make than the junk on your link. It has integrated mechanical buttons for one thing, it has much higher manufacturing tolerances for another, and it's made out of a different material for a third.

• Reply 66 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Thank you Rob.

For what it is worth, you are the first person here to identify themselves as actually having an iPhone 4. Which is already telling.

You're welcome. There's simply not enough detail in the info out there to draw any accurate conclusions.
  • Reply 67 of 380
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I am afraid to suggest that he doesn't have an iPhone 4.
  • Reply 68 of 380
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

What has me concerned is that this is going to turn into Apple's Toyota moment.

Right.

People are dying because they can't skootch their hand a millimeter one way or the other.

I've never seen such screwed up priorities and childish whining as I have in the past week.
  • Reply 69 of 380
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Whatever the real problem is, clearly this another point that Awhen pple is going to become meticulous about. Most times, when sufficient people have complained about some issue, Apple appears to have made an effort to address it in the next generation, especially those getting media attention.

I will be curious to see the impact of the next point point release.
  • Reply 70 of 380
    Quote:

Maybe it's up to interpretation but I meant no attitude whatsoever. I was merely pointing out that NJ has always had great reception. I don't know if you owned an iPhone before but, if you did, you'd already know this to be true. The problem is for those who have average reception and it drops to no 0 bars or no signal.
  • Reply 71 of 380
    No problems with reception at all, with or without the bumper. What in the world is with all the hysteria by the media and whinners?

Give us a big break and buy that Google crap!

• Reply 72 of 380
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Yes, that means there isn't a problem that needs to be fixed. And of course, it should be up to the consumer to correct a manufacturing/engineering/design problem.

Or return it and buy a different phone. Sheesh!

What do you care anyway, don't you use an Android phone?
  • Reply 73 of 380
    Changing the way bars are displayed does not fix the antenna problem, it only changes the way signal strength is being reported by the phone. There is no software fix for this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Actually not. If you read closely, a large part of what the first expert said (and no offence to Richard Gaywood but he says in his own blog that he is actually *not* an antenna expert so the first expert is the one to really listen to), is that a big part of the problem is the way in which the bars are displayed. In many cases, there is a dramatic dropping of bars but only in marginal signal areas does it actually mean the call might be dropped.

So while the ultimate fix might be in the manufacturing, there is a fix for the firmware or software that might alleviate the problem a great deal. By changing the algorithm that determines the bars, they can hopefully fine tune it so that a large part of the problem goes away.

• Reply 74 of 380
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Dick Gaywood?

Grow up.
  • Reply 75 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Maybe it's up to interpretation but I meant no attitude whatsoever. I was merely pointing out that NJ has always had great reception. I don't know if you owned an iPhone before but, if you did, you'd already know this to be true. The problem is for those who have average reception and it drops to no 0 bars or no signal.

Fair enough. Like I said, I was just responding to Onhka's survey. I've had an iPhone 3G for almost 2 years now and can't complain about the coverage here. And yes, I agree the real problem is for those who have medium to low signal strength. 24dB off of great signal strength is inconsequential, but 24dB off of low signal strength will leave you with nothing.
  • Reply 76 of 380
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Hmm….
  • Reply 77 of 380
    Hey Guys,

Yea I posted a reception video on youtube as a sample to see the bars drop (mine drop FAST):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNHpvElnqmU

I also followed up with testing it with a case as well as making my way to a store to ask the fantastic apple reps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbJDi5B7ibU

My conclusion is the same as the PH.D in the article, fantastic device, lousy phone capabilities .

Will

www.youtube.com/tekbeattv

www.tekbeattv.com
  • Reply 78 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

So, assuming the idea proposed that if you could "coat" the metal band in something, like thin skin of plastic or laquer, perhaps Apple could somehow implement this into thier current production so that phone on the assembly line can be called back, have the metal bars coated and placed back on the line without a hitch?

Sound like a pretty simple solution to me, I hope Apple read these articles!

What! A design flaw? Impossible if all owners are not affected.

(You need look no further than Toyota for a design flaw that did not affect all owners.)
  • Reply 78 of 380
    Quote:

Fair enough. Like I said, I was just responding to Onhka's survey. I've had an iPhone 3G for almost 2 years now and can't complain about the coverage here. And yes, I agree the real problem is for those who have medium to low signal strength. 24dB off of great signal strength is inconsequential, but 24dB off of low signal strength will leave you with nothing.

Agree with everything you sad and I'm glad that you're happy with your new iPhone.
  • Reply 80 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find it funny that before the antenna problem you'd be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who *didn't* use a case, now that the easiest answer to the antenna issue is buying a case, no one wants to?

Also, almost every case I've ever seen is roughly 30 bucks. Sure, you can get cheaper ones, but 30 bucks is not "out of line," "over the top" or any one of those superlatives being dropped about them today.

Apple's bumper is probably one of the best designed cases out there, it's far from "an 18 cent piece off silicone" and probably cost a lot more to make than the junk on your link. It has integrated mechanical buttons for one thing, it has much higher manufacturing tolerances for another, and it's made out of a different material for a third.

I've had an excellent case for my 3G from InCase and it has saved my phone on a few occasions. I'll be getting one from them as soon as they start shipping something that I like. Otherwise, I'll probably spring for the bumper case from Apple.